WarriorFish's Slaaneshi Daemons

WarriorFish

Greetings brothers! For those who may not be aware I'm busy building up a CSM Slaaneshi force and this will include Slaaneshi Daemons as an allied option. Prior to the Made to Order I owned but a paltry 12 Daemonettes but I will soon have 42, and 10 Seekers :biggrin.: I've also nabbed a Herald that I intend to chop and convert to make it fit more with the metals :smile.:

I am hopelessly out of date on Daemons so I come seeking guidance. From my previous escapades I know larger squads are better, which is why I'll go with two 20 model squads (1 spare for Herald conversion bits, 1 as backup in case when that goes wrong...). 10 Seekers seems a pretty straight forward addition, but is there anything else I should consider such as upgrades for these squads?

For the HQ I also rather like the idea of a Daemon Prince (conversion opportunities!) but again I don't know what's worthwhile or not, same with what to do with the Herald. I am a little way off on fielding my Daemons but as I'll be getting my models soon I figured it'd be a good idea to settle on where I'll be going with them, as I'll probably not be able to resist working on some... Thanks in advance for any advice :thumbsup:

edit: updated to reflect scope of project :smile.:

Edited by WarriorFish

If you're planning on Deep Striking those Daemons, I would take an Instrument of Chaos on them (both Daemonette squads and the Seekers) as you'll be able to double the number of units successfully arriving from reserve.

I personally think Rapturous Standards are a decent option if you have the points spare as they have several nice bonuses:

- +1 Combat Resolution

- No Deep Strike Scatter if within 6" (very handy with 20-man squads due to the large footprint)

- One use -D3 WS penalty which could come in handy against tough enemies.

The squad leader Character upgrade is always worth it too as they can take one of the Etherblade rewards for AP2 attacks.

As for your Heralds and Prince...

The Forbidden Gem is great on a Herald and combines nicely with the Exalted Locus of Beguilement to force your opponent into challenges where the Gem can be used.

Lesser Locus of Grace could be useful if any Heralds join the Seeker unit however as it grants Move Through Cover.

The Daemon Prince could benefit from either the Soulstealer or Silvershard Artefacts as they grant either the chance to restore wounds or +2 attacks respectively. As well as becoming AP2 due to the Prince being a Monstrous Creature.

Wings and Armour is always great on a Prince too and Mastery Levels are great for them and Heralds (although I would choose Telepathy over the Slaanesh Discipline).

Thanks Apostle, I'm not yet sure how much Deep Strike I want to use - seems like a good way to add some problems for my opponent though, especially as my CSM will be approaching. Might be a bit risky to have the Seekers act as the locator beacon for them, so maybe I should try and keep them a bit cheaper at first.

Daemon Prince seems good, but the Herald would work well on a budget (a likely case, most of the time I expect). I think the upgrades you mention are good so they'll be added to the list :)

Which way are you going with the CSM portion? That dictates how alot of your army will need since CSM are points intensive. What I can say:

DP with wings lash and shriek is good. If you plan on melee equip soul stealer. If fighting grav don't take armor.

20 daemonettes + herald with loci will kill a wraithknight in CC at init 5.

Only put the icon on seekers if you are deepstriking/summoning.

Slaanesh Soulgrinders are incredible.

Renegade Knight is always an excellent addition too.

Edited by bozo69pd

Thanks bozo, my CSM are going to predominantly be infantry based and intended to close on the enemy so the Daemonettes are to help bulk numbers and stabbiness :) Seems like the herald is a good idea, but I'll definitely get round to a DP too :tu:

I am tempted by a Soulgrinder, but I'm not sure about the expense yet. What sort of builds should I be looking at?

If you want to use allied Slaanesh Daemons effectively, one of the more interesting combinations I've found is with Noise Marines. The latter stands on an objective and shoots while the Daemons attack. Incorporate some CSM Melta/Chainfists into your army to deal with vehicles (Emperor's Children bikes are especially good now with FNP 4+) and you have some powerful synergy. The formations come with admittedly great benefits, but they often force you to take units that don't work as well in their role as you want them to.

For example, its very burdensome to try to make a Rapture Battalion that includes both Noise Marines and more conventional CSMs since to do so you need to take 2 Core choices plus another Auxiliary. This gets pretty pricey and soon you have next to nothing left for your Daemons. 

I've yet to collect my TL book to properly review the contents (maybe tomorrow?), but that sounds like my general plan. My CSM may turn out to be pretty expensive so I'll need to give my lists some consideration accordingly.

If I get desperate I can always run the Daemons cheaper, but I'm a way off from worrying about the big bucks games so nothing too pressing yet. I appreciate the advice, I'm keen to get some models on the table soon :)

I think you can take kakophoni core + warband core + heldrake auxilliary for like 1400 points which leaves plenty of room left for daemon CAD at 1850. EC just have so much they can do now with so many decent options at their disposal.

This bit is tricky, but funny. You can stack slaanesh and excess maledictions on target, use heldrake fear squadron, relics, and if you somehow have points the Daemon Knight forgeworld relic to reduce things to incredibly low leadership. Then have your DP shriek that wraithknight for a 1 shot KO with no saves of any kind allowed.

• 2 weeks later...

I thought I should update here as well with my first daemon! I'm not 100% on the colour scheme yet, I like the lighter colours and the purple but I'm unsure on the pinky orange. The idea was to get some more vibrant colours to be more Slaaenshi, I might just need to see how it looks after some time and ideally another few models to help :smile.:

gallery_30308_10249_27515.jpg

Thanks bozo, I'm planning to get another three or four done to get a better feel for the scheme. Maybe grab a picture of her next to my CSM for comparison but the pink/orange is growing on me :smile.:

The detail on the model is great, though I was almost sweating doing the four tiny gems (that the pictures barely show...) it was worth it. The dynamic poses just sink the new plastics in comparison! Wish I had known Made to Order was coming a few months ago as I could have saved some money but at least it shows commitment? :laugh.: I'm keen to get enough to start gaming with and I only want to get a Daemon Prince sooner now. Seems my hobby butterfly is big enough to count as a Monstrous Creature itself :tongue.:

• 7 months later...

With the latest and greatest news on Chaos I realised I had been shamefully remiss, and that I owed an update to this topic as not everyone might visit the main Chaos section!

I have been busy hunting down models and I've managed to get 55 Daemonettes now - plus a Herald, but along with two of the models being a bit broken the plan is to cannibalise them to make two or maybe three Heralds if I can. I have also just these week increased my Seeker count to 16 - one will be an aforementioned Herald :biggrin.: I managed to do so for pretty good prices too, thanks to some luck and of course plenty of patience and searching!

This should be my Daemon army complete once I get round to a Daemon Prince :smile.: However nobody wants to see numbers typed out as they don't mean all that much until they get on the table :wink: I've worked on the scheme some more and got it to this level:

gallery_30308_10249_72484.jpg

With a couple more added I refined the scheme some more and I'm much happier with it now:

gallery_30308_10249_1043.jpg

Even did a blood drop effect on the blade, turned out quite well :thumbsup: The melon colour is slightly different to the one used on my Marines, helps show off the model's detail (which is amazing, of course) and tie them together as armies along with the bases. The only thing left is pondering the various colours on the cloth but I don't think I'll be sure what works/I like until I have a few more done.

gallery_30308_10249_57343.jpg

The models can take a while with all the details (and so many gems) but practice makes perfect. With the latest news having Daemonettes dropping by 2pts in the new C:CSM codex it seems that I really need to paint them faster :tongue.:

I'll aim to keep this topic updated periodically with latest batches and the like, but I'll be making regular updates to my main Chaos WIP in my sig if you're interested in my travels and helping out :smile.:

• 7 months later...

I've been shamefully remiss on updating this as my Daemons have languished behind other projects. That finally ends today :biggrin.: I've started painting my Daemon Prince:

gallery_30308_10249_33518.jpg

I'm hoping/aiming to have a bit of blending going on between armour and flesh but we'll see how that pans out. I'll be taking my time on him as I put a lot of effort into magnetising him so don't want to risk mistakes, so I'll probably be dipping into my Cultists in between. Which also works, because once they are done I'll have an additional, cheaper option to help my fill out Brigades for my CSM - with a safe core to build CSM lists on I'll be free to focus on getting my Daemons battle ready to support them :thumbsup:

• 1 month later...

As promised: one Daemon Prince of Slaanesh!

gallery_30308_10249_5529.jpg

gallery_30308_10249_32342.jpg

gallery_30308_10249_7632.jpg

gallery_30308_10249_17241.jpg

gallery_30308_10249_35103.jpg

I went the whole hog on him, with magnets and GS and I think it was all worth it :smile.: My first daemon unit too :biggrin.: Given what I want and that it's a good build (especially for Slaanesh) there's no rush to do the backpack and sword but I'll get there.

I've got a couple more units I need for my CSM, I want them to round the CSM side out as a capable enough force with some variety and then I plan to assembly line Daemons. As I've managed to secure some more Daemonettes and Seekers for a nice price (so much for completing the army before...) this is probably the only way to do it :laugh.: That does mean that the only Daemon I need now is a Keeper of Seekers, and maybe some extra bits to make a second Herald if the blister I have doesn't go far enough. That and some bits to make banners and musicians, but with plenty of models to start on no need to worry about them just yet.

Like the look of your Daemon Prince.

Also, this is something I'm curious about, I'm thinking of doing like what you (and several other frater it seems) do and making multiple logs for my different armies. Would it be better for my Khorne Daemonkin World Eater Force and Emperor's Children be in different threads in the Chaos Marine board, or as one thread? 'cause I know my Death Guard will get their own thread in the Death Guard board (and the Dark Angels in the Dark Angels board, and the Talons of the Emperor on their board? :laugh.:)

Edit: Side note, is it bad that I prefer those old metal Daemonettes to the new plastic ones? Like, those ones had nicer poses compared to the fairly static ones the plastic ones have. Well, that and the boobs. The single boob one the plastic Daemonettes is sillier to me, in my opinion, than the multiboobage the metal ones have :lol:

Edited by Gederas

Thanks guys :smile.: Regarding WIP topics I always recommend them, as it's a great way to help motivate you to work and also get help and ideas if you need it. You can split the armies up as you like so long as they're in an appropriate section of course :wink: As rule of thumb I follow I bundle my related armies until they grow too much and then I'll split them out, as then I can have more detailed discussion on them.

For example this topic was created when my Daemon plans grew, and when I'm focusing on them later this year it'll be the focus of updates. It also means I can discuss army strategies with the experienced Daemon players here for advice :thumbsup: My Thousand Sons have barely started, so they reside with my CSM for now.

You're far from alone in preferring the old Daemonette models, the detail and dynamic poses are really nice and I like the "hair" and claws - but it hasn't been easy gathering them so unfortunately building an army of them isn't always viable :sad.: While it has probably helped being in the UK so perhaps there's more to find on eBay as the home of GW, the strongest weapon in your arsenal is patience! Followed closely by good budgeting as some prices you can find are silly. I missed out on a fair few but in return the ones I did get were for a reasonable cost. That said I think I've also been lucky, but the key thing is to stick to your budget as no deal is better than a bad one :smile.:

Thanks guys :smile.: Regarding WIP topics I always recommend them, as it's a great way to help motivate you to work and also get help and ideas if you need it. You can split the armies up as you like so long as they're in an appropriate section of course :wink: As rule of thumb I follow I bundle my related armies until they grow too much and then I'll split them out, as then I can have more detailed discussion on them.

For example this topic was created when my Daemon plans grew, and when I'm focusing on them later this year it'll be the focus of updates. It also means I can discuss army strategies with the experienced Daemon players here for advice :thumbsup: My Thousand Sons have barely started, so they reside with my CSM for now.

You're far from alone in preferring the old Daemonette models, the detail and dynamic poses are really nice and I like the "hair" and claws - but it hasn't been easy gathering them so unfortunately building an army of them isn't always viable :sad.: While it has probably helped being in the UK so perhaps there's more to find on eBay as the home of GW, the strongest weapon in your arsenal is patience! Followed closely by good budgeting as some prices you can find are silly. I missed out on a fair few but in return the ones I did get were for a reasonable cost. That said I think I've also been lucky, but the key thing is to stick to your budget as no deal is better than a bad one :smile.:

Mmmm.... Fair point. I think I'll probably do that then. Though I do think my World Eaters/Khorne Daemonkin and Emperor's Children should remain separate :lol:

I guess my main issue is that World Eaters and Emperor's Children don't have their own subfora yet :lol:

And yeah, the old metal Daemonettes are much better than the plastic ones. It's why I like the Forge World Keeper of Secrets, because it feels like a throwback to them. And it's also why I feel that if I make Daemonettes for my Emperor's Children force, I'm going to be spending a lot of money, as I'll be getting the Witch Aelves/Sisters of Slaughter kit and combining it the Daemonettes :lol:

• 6 months later...

Back again to get some Daemons done as part of my Call of Chaos vow:

gallery_30308_10249_25573.jpg

I'm aiming for a squad of 10, though nothing fancy yet. I can add fancy pants and icons etc with future models once I cobble together some plans and ideas. With the limited scope in poses and such I'm trying to be free with arm and base orientation to help give them all a bit of variety - the rest will be in accessory and secondary colours :thumbsup:

All of this neatly working into the upcoming Slaaneshi release, so while I seem perpetually late on plans I am making progress at least :smile.:

Only a bit of luck involved Sume - the rest was over two years of a lot of patience and knowing when to quit :wink: Still a lot of work ahead of me but once this squad is done I'll finally be making some decent headway into fielding my Daemons on the table top which I'm hoping to be the metaphorical ball rolling and picking up momentum :smile.:

Especially as we have those great new Fiends coming soon, so it'd be nice to be able to jump straight into painting one up without feeling bad about not having more troops done (which you also need to field an army!). I don't think it's unreasonable to expect and hope for something else new too... but we'll see as usual.

Speaking of which, I have my Daemonette scheme sorted now but I still need to decide what colour to do the steeds (and maybe Fiends?). I think it might look weird to have both rider and mount the same colour but I'm not sure what colour would be best. Perhaps a paler flesh tone?