WarriorFish's Slaaneshi Daemons

WarriorFish

Looks good - I guess I wasn't sure because you showed different sides and most of your rebuilding work would have been on the other side.

I don't think I've used the skull one yet for my demonettes - I have used it for the heraldry plate of my knight, though.  I haven't needed to convert it, though - between the various standards in the demonettes kit, the seekers kit and the witch aelves kit, I haven't needed to yet.

I had the idea to make some adjustments, mostly removing the spikes and then I started wondering what else I could get away with :tongue.: There was only a couple of small cuts in the ridges but if you're going to do something best to do it properly so I've patched them up:

gallery_30308_10249_2396.jpg

Short of a little bit more clean up the model is done :smile.: As I had the GS out I went back to the Enrapturess, aside from some gap filling I wanted to make the face a better fit:

gallery_30308_10249_5914.jpg

Turned out far better than it had any right to on an assembled, fragile model :tongue.: I'm really happy that I put the effort in as now she'll fit in much better with my Diaznettes which is great because I like the model generally so now I can put it in lists without any reservations :biggrin.: To complete the fruitful assembly the two Alluress models are done with some Seeker claws (thanks to BCC!) along with the two standard models:

gallery_30308_10249_56571.jpg

I still need to do some final small tweaks and clean up remaining lines, but they'll only need their bases after that to be ready for priming. Which is good timing as I also completed the Fiends:

gallery_30308_10249_35154.jpg

There's a few touch ups required but it's good to get the finished :biggrin.: I'll try for some extra angle shots at some point too, they turned out nicely I think which is just as well considering the time and effort required! I stopped counting how many gems there are, must be about 50 easily :confused: So as great as they are I'm glad I have some other models to get cracking on before I get to the next box :laugh.:

After these are done I should be good and get another 10 Daemonettes completed. Then I can justify opening the KoS which I have been waiting for... speaking of, she'll be the big bad of my list and sadly all alone for it as the only single model unit of high toughness so to avoid eating AT like there's no tomorrow (which there won't be, with only a 5++) I'm increasingly leaning towards that Soul Grinder (or two). We'll see, I want to be good and get more of what I have done before adding new models, but it may be a case of necessity - don't want to spend all this time, money, and effort on the KoS only to be removing it Turn 1 each game...

I have been busy making progress where I can :smile.: Here's some additional shots of the new Fiends:

gallery_30308_10249_59235.jpg

The Blissbringer has 30 gems, I hope that translates to effectiveness on the table top :tongue.:

gallery_30308_10249_34033.jpg

I'll try and steal what time I can this week for more progress, it'd be good to get them primed before the weekend for more efficient use of time and daylight :thumbsup:

Some progress this weekend:

gallery_30308_10249_64411.jpg

Not a great deal as my time was eaten up but better than nothing of course :smile.: Turns out there's not much melon on the Enrapturess so I'll add some more but I'm not sure where yet. Between the cloak and hair I'm leaning towards the latter.

Yes, the orangey pink was dubbed "melon" and it works well so stuck :tongue.: I was going to do the horns white as with the Fiends but I think your idea might be better, help keep the beasts with their own look to separate them from the humanoid daemons :smile.: I'm thinking about getting the Daemonettes done first so I can focus on the Enrapturess after, would give me time to see how it comes together :thumbsup:

Making stead progress on the Daemonettes:

gallery_30308_10249_25808.jpg

Metallics on the Daemonettes are done so decent enough, I did have to tidy up a few model issues that became apparent with paint/wash on but unavoidable with older models sometimes! I'll save more for the weekend I think, when I'm a bit more rested - mostly the detail work left anyway. I'll see what I can do during the week, it'd be great to finish these this weekend but it might be better to swap to assembly to keep the furnace and progress going.

Almost finished them this weekend, didn't get as much time as I had planned at the hobby desk but I can't complain as it has been a productive week:

gallery_30308_10249_93031.jpg

The gems are the only real work left, the bases won't take long to finish nor will the instruments. That is once I've figured out what I'm doing with them. The idea of an ivory jumped into my mind and sticks but I'm not sure how best to achieve this. Maybe a white or off white base with a wash? Not sure or decided yet, any thoughts?

I played around with some colours on a whim and managed to get something that looks nice :smile.: Finished the bases too so just the gems left - I'll save them for the weekend. Then my painting time is dedicated to the Enrapturess, I think I've figured out what colours I'm putting where now too.

In preparation for next steps - and because I could resist no longer - I unboxed my Keeper of Secrets :biggrin.: The model looks great and I can see how you can magnetise the snapping claws neatly, this will be great for transporting the model as they do stick out quite a bit. Unfortunately while the left hand (ritual knife, shining aegis, sinistrous hand, living whip) shares the same clean connection at the wrist I noted that the wrist has a dimple for the robes to attach.

However taking the back elements and robe bits from Shalaxi Helbane would avoid this, so all is not lost as this looks a simple swap. I'd like to keep the robes though as they look nice, I'll see how secure they are without the wrist connection and go from there :smile.: Looks like I can easily leave the collar off too, I'll see what other modifications I can think of... no rush as I expect to not work on this quite yet, it's a little imposing as well!

Since we're here, anyone have thoughts on Shalaxi Helbane compared to a normal KoS? She's only a little bit more expensive but seems to be heavily tailored as an assassin. I'm sure she'd do fine work hunting down monsters and characters and the like, my concern would be she's a bit too good at it and will be even more of a target priority for it. I suppose that's as much a problem as normal so perhaps she's best taken with a KoS, give you better odds? That's a lot of points though :confused:

Since we're here, anyone have thoughts on Shalaxi Helbane compared to a normal KoS? She's only a little bit more expensive but seems to be heavily tailored as an assassin. I'm sure she'd do fine work hunting down monsters and characters and the like, my concern would be she's a bit too good at it and will be even more of a target priority for it. I suppose that's as much a problem as normal so perhaps she's best taken with a KoS, give you better odds? That's a lot of points though :confused:

While I don't have a lot of insight with regards to the rules of those two units I know there are advantages to having distraction carnifexes. Can they act in that role? Does the rest of the army have enough punch to make up for them if they are blasted off the board early?

As I see it, the problem with a straight demon's army (so no CSM or knight allies) is that the greater demon is the only real target for anti-tank.  That, combined with their only having the same invulnerable as the rest of the army, means that they can be focused-fire upon without really hurting the shooting army's ability to direct fire at the rest of your army.  This is especially true for slannesh, where the next toughest models are (if I recall correctly - there may be characters that are more resilient but less targetable) only T5 with 6 wounds.

I too have a KOS that needs painting, but unless I do it as a vow for an ETL I don't see painting it up until it has rules and/or a point cost that warrant its inclusion in an army list.

Edited by Dr_Ruminahui

Indeed, as Rumi says the Keeper is T7 W16 6+/5++ - that's not particularly durable and less so if it is priority number 1 for your opponent's AT. There is the Soul Grinder to consider as support (tougher and more wounds than the T5 W6 Chariots). It's not as expensive but has similar stats, the issue is likely that it'd probably just end up being priority number 2 after your KoS is blasted off the board... :confused:

It should be workable as while Slaanesh daemons struggle with high strength/AT output if the Soul Grinder (or two) survive to get into combat you can make ground back against high toughness targets. It's more of a theme thing, it's the centrepiece model of your army so nobody wants to see it do nothing and get removed turn 1 or 2 every game :sad.: A 4++ would do wonders, but we'll have to wait and see what GW offers in the Daemons Psychic Awakening.

Oh well, I'll worry about that more when I get to it. Once the Keeper is done a Soul Grinder is almost certainly my next big project for my Daemons. For now I'm keeping focused on my current projects - I did some more work on the Enrapturess last night, if I can squeeze a bit more painting time in this weekend I might even be able to finish her. Here's hoping :biggrin.:

Been picking at the Enrapturess I reckon I can finish her tomorrow :) I've also done the last bits on the Daemonettes:

gallery_30308_10249_23255.jpg

Good to finally have a couple of finished squads :D With the Enrapturess completed tomorrow I'll start work on assembling the next 10 Daemonettes and start poking at the KoS. I'll also try for an army shot for progress :tu:

One model closer :)

gallery_30308_10249_61393.jpg

gallery_30308_10249_41588.jpg

gallery_30308_10249_16203.jpg

gallery_30308_10249_7251.jpg

gallery_30308_10249_36488.jpg

There's a bit more to touch up, as I also missed the straps but near as damn it :P Feels good to get the model done, she turned out well I think :) A great model despite the travails in building and painting (perhaps why you don't see her much?) and I can be sure it'll be worth it as a good and regular HQ choice ;) I'll start work on the Daemonettes next, and dip in when I can on the KoS :)

Thanks! :D I'll return for the eyes also in the touch ups - they're big enough to be painted and should help the model pop a little more (and the tongue) :)

Once I've properly finished the Enrapturess I'll aim for that progress shot. I'll need the desk space cleared for the assembly work to come anyway ;)

I've been stalling on hobby this week, but that's no longer the case! I've sorted and cleaned my desk ready for more work, and finished the last bits on the Enrapturess:

gallery_30308_10249_29775.jpg

Much better :smile.: I did black for a little contrast and to keep things simple, and with clear decks room for that army shot of the cavalcade so far:

gallery_30308_10249_43051.jpg

Nothing like a group shot to see how much progress you've made (and how big the Fiends are) :biggrin.: Back to it with some assembly next the idea is to focus on the Daemonettes so I can get that Battalion but I can make no promises now I've opened the Keeper of Secrets :laugh.:

I've been stalling on hobby this week, but that's no longer the case! I've sorted and cleaned my desk ready for more work, and finished the last bits on the Enrapturess:

gallery_30308_10249_29775.jpg

Much better :smile.: I did black for a little contrast and to keep things simple, and with clear decks room for that army shot of the cavalcade so far:

gallery_30308_10249_43051.jpg

Nothing like a group shot to see how much progress you've made (and how big the Fiends are) :biggrin.: Back to it with some assembly next the idea is to focus on the Daemonettes so I can get that Battalion but I can make no promises now I've opened the Keeper of Secrets :laugh.:

There's nothing like a good army shot to keep your mojo going, really great work Fish!

For me when making sure I keep to schedule I paint to reward myself, i.e: I'll paint a unit of troops then I'll allow myself to paint something cool like a character. It works wonders for me, but obviously won't work for everyone :biggrin.: