WarriorFish's Slaaneshi Daemons

WarriorFish

You both have convincing arguments :P I'm thinking of keeping Be'lakor in his default colours as he is technically separate from any particular force, and it would be something quite different to paint, but I want to link him to the army with more than the base scheme. Some armour and details in melon should work here I think but I'll be deciding once I get there. Plus I'm hoping that since others have their Dark Master already perhaps I might glean some inspiration from seeing theirs soon?

I'm busy working on the Defiler for my CSM but I feel the call of daemons strongly... So many projects, so little time - the one thing Tzeentch can't change :lol:

I think you should build and paint your Be'lakor model first and then let me know how easy / hard it is to do and what to watch out for lol

Chains, base, and Be'lakor should be painted separately before being attached to each other. Other than that the model was a dream to paint, especially if you enjoy dry brushing.

My vote goes towards painting Be'lakor in his default colours. I like keeping named characters the way they appear in the official fluff. I feel like it makes my custom dudes who are fighting besides them more "official" as well somehow. But that's just my personal preference. :wink:

• 1 month later...

Some progress here finally, the Daemonettes have been for a bath and came out well. Even the plastic card managed to survive which was a nice surprise but I'll take it :tongue.:

gallery_30308_10249_13080.jpg

Six arms needed gluing back on, I figured may as well match them up since I could:

Hidden Content

gallery_30308_10249_64029.jpg

You could almost pretend it didn't happen? :laugh.: They've been waiting a long time to get the primer corrected so as soon as my Defiler is done these will be top of the list :smile.:

With them primed yesterday I was eager to make amends for the delay and while it has been some time since I painted any daemons I know the first steps are pretty quick and simple:

gallery_30308_10249_34864.jpg

Painting such nice models always helps too, they're ready for the more detailed work now. Unfortunately this is the lion's share of the painting time, especially all the soul stones :sweat: It's good to be back to my daemons so once I've sorted some other projects out I expect to get these done relatively quick :smile.:

Before anyone asks; no this won't be enough to earn Be'lakor :laugh.: I need a good few more options for my army before I can think about "supplements" so I reckon at least another unit before I could consider myself deserving. Perhaps another 10 Daemonettes, 3 more Fiends and/or a Herald? That would give me a decent core to the army to work with.

I thought about the chariots but one alone won't do much, I'm thinking they're more of a group addition later once I have the bread and butter. I've tried to make lists with what I have and find myself limited very quickly so if I want my daemons in anything above 750 I need to sort the fundamentals.

With them primed yesterday I was eager to make amends for the delay and while it has been some time since I painted any daemons I know the first steps are pretty quick and simple:

gallery_30308_10249_34864.jpg

Painting such nice models always helps too, they're ready for the more detailed work now. Unfortunately this is the lion's share of the painting time, especially all the soul stones :sweat: It's good to be back to my daemons so once I've sorted some other projects out I expect to get these done relatively quick :smile.:

Before anyone asks; no this won't be enough to earn Be'lakor :laugh.: I need a good few more options for my army before I can think about "supplements" so I reckon at least another unit before I could consider myself deserving. Perhaps another 10 Daemonettes, 3 more Fiends and/or a Herald? That would give me a decent core to the army to work with.

I thought about the chariots but one alone won't do much, I'm thinking they're more of a group addition later once I have the bread and butter. I've tried to make lists with what I have and find myself limited very quickly so if I want my daemons in anything above 750 I need to sort the fundamentals.

daemonettes! how fun. Im gonna get myself sylleske tomorrow ^^

sometimes we feel like we cant buy the biggest model yet, but for me its like I should have done that a bit more,

so I would have gotten more daemon models instead of csm. cuz Im playing a mesh between daemons and csm.

but yeah daemonettes really is the way to go. also, they should be run in big units so they get that 1 bonus attack. :)

also, you want to have as much psyker daemons as possible.

gl :cool.::Elite:

From my own gaming experience, daemonettes aren't what "gets it done" in a slaneshi daemon list - they are simply too fragile and not potent enough to do much heavy lifting.  That said, they are a good way of helping shield Syl'Esske so SE can make it in... and if SE does, it does work.

They do really look nice, though, especially those old Diaz sculpts... don't have any of those in my army, unfortunately.

They'll do better once I get a Herald for that +1S aura, but otherwise they're mostly there to lock enemy units into CC and allow the other units that do more damage to get into position and do their thing etc. They can handle enemy infantry well enough in most cases, but that's hardly unique :P Once these are done I'll have four squads of Daemonettes which should give me a decent Troop number for now.

I reckon that five squads should be what I need for 1500pts games at a minimum, but I expect to be playing around with larger squads at that level so we'll need to see when I get there :) Time is a little short currently but I hope to be back painting soon :tu:

They'll do better once I get a Herald for that +1S aura, but otherwise they're mostly there to lock enemy units into CC and allow the other units that do more damage to get into position and do their thing etc. They can handle enemy infantry well enough in most cases, but that's hardly unique :tongue.: Once these are done I'll have four squads of Daemonettes which should give me a decent Troop number for now.

I reckon that five squads should be what I need for 1500pts games at a minimum, but I expect to be playing around with larger squads at that level so we'll need to see when I get there :smile.: Time is a little short currently but I hope to be back painting soon :thumbsup:

Yeah, exactly. they are like the farmers in chess, the first pieces to die but an important component on the road to victory.

its when you have 9 psyker characters and just spam psychic powers on them that they become good. :P

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I was on the fence about it originally, and was getting enough with other things on the release so I held off. It has grown on me since and as I know some modifications to fit the Diaz theme are within my abilities it seemed a good time when I saw it for a cheaper price :P I have been thinking about the Daemonettes, but time is limited currently :( That said, I have been focusing on my Sons so the Daemonettes would make for a good break from the finesse needed... Maybe I can get a little something done soon :)

• 1 month later...

I haven't been idle, my attentions have been on my nids for the Bug's Life event but I've been picking away on the Daemonettes so they're about done:

gallery_30308_10249_23492.jpg

I say "about" because there's always the bits of touching up and missed things to return to :tongue.: I should get that done in the week, I'm letting the water effect set today :thumbsup: My plan is for my daemons to be one of the "main three" projects but I'm not sure if I can do another 10 Daemonettes right away. Might be an idea to jump on the Contorted Epitome?

You may spot a new colour addition in the orange. The white, purple, red, and melon work but now the numbers of Daemonettes is growing I felt I needed a new colour for variety. It needed to fit in of course but I also wanted something a bit brighter. Next batch will again feature more oranges to help even overall numbers out :)

I can almost reach 1000pts for my Daemons now, albeit squeezing everything I can in and likely not a very good list but getting there. If I get another two "squads" done (i.e. 10 models including leader and musician) then that sets me for the full six Troops so I can work on small batches of rank and file Daemonettes then to top the squads up.

The Daemonettes are tidied up now, I've also enhanced them with painted eyes and teeth. Helps round them off nicely and is worth the effort:

gallery_30308_10249_24412.jpggallery_30308_10249_14333.jpg

Just as well as I've done it to all the others too. That said these aren't very good pictures but are the best I had, I will try again tomorrow where daylight should help :thumbsup: This means my 972pts list is now ready for the table top :biggrin.:

gallery_30308_10249_82963.jpg

It's also nice to finish the long outstanding debt in this squad so it feels like a new beginning for my Daemons in many ways. One of them being what comes next :tongue.: I know I should get more Daemonettes done but my gut says not to so it'll be something else. Maybe the Epitome - it's expensive so would be a good chunk of the way to 1250pts :laugh.: Let's see what the gods have in store :wink:

Thanks, I am pleased with them if not in the overall progress but I need to remember that they're small and highly detailed models which isn't a recipe for speedy work normally never mind with my painting speed :P I've snapped a better picture for the eyes:

gallery_30308_10249_17730.jpg

I seem to be in an assembly mood lately but I need to be good and get some painting done again. I think I'm aim to settle on what's next for my Daemons end of this month as ideally I'll have less painting to be done then (the theory is good at least) :tu:

A bit later than planned but the memory of the game should be good enough, my "1000pts" list saw some action against the Ultramarines:

Slaanesh's Cavalcade

Hidden Content
+++ Daemons First 1000pts (Warhammer 40,000 9th Edition) [5CP, 972pts] +++

+ HQ +

Daemon Prince of Chaos [200pts]: Delightful Agonies, Malefic talon, Wings
. Slaanesh

Infernal Enrapturess [75pts]

Keeper of Secrets [-1CP, 230pts]: Bewitching Aura, Hysterical Frenzy, Sinistrous hand, Soulstealer, Symphony of Pain, Warlord
. Exalted Keeper of Secrets: 2. Quicksilver Reflexes

+ Troops +

Daemonettes [102pts]: Alluress, Daemonic Icon, Instrument of Chaos
. 10x Daemonette: 10x Piercing claws

Daemonettes [80pts]: Alluress, Instrument of Chaos
. 9x Daemonette: 9x Piercing claws

+ Elites +

Fiends [125pts]: Blissbringer
. 2x Fiend: 2x Dissecting claws, 2x Vicious barbed tail

Ultramarines

Hidden Content
Captain in TDA

- Combi-plasma

- MC Relic Blade

Chaplain

5x Tacticals

- Combi-plasma

- Heavy Bolter

5x Tacticals

- Combi-plasma

- Gravcannon

5x Tacticals

- Combi-plasma

- Heavy Bolter

Ironclad

- Hurricaine Bolters

- Chainfist

Contemptor

- Assault Cannon

- Stormbolter fist

5x Terminators

We decided to keep the game fairly straight forward with a couple of objectives in the centre (copied from the previous game on the table top), especially as on a smaller table top with 4" of deployment space :tongue.:

Deployment

There's not much room to deploy, so things are rather spread out and I can't do much else than spread my characters out and sit the Fiends on a flank to hopefully move up. My plan is to press up as quickly as possible (of course), with the first wave keeping them busy (and hopefully dead) while a second wave can dance on objective. The Fiends in particular with the Daemon Prince should be able to zip up around cover and get that done at least on the right flank.

Unfortunately there's a Stratagem that allows three units to redeploy at the end of deployment so the opposing Ultras vanish to reappear...

gallery_30308_10077_137320.jpg

It's not a great start, my first turn is going to be moving up and repositioning and hoping for the best. I decide to give my opponent first turn, rather than move up and risk getting more shots thrown.

Turn 1

Only the Dreads move up a little to get in range, the Marines relying on their heavy weapons. The left flank Daemonettes are reduced to three models, but my forces are otherwise unscathed - going second worked here at least but there's a long way to go and the Daemonettes will only die faster as I close.

There's not much else to do in my turn other than advance up and try some psychic support powers (still annoying how Delightful Agonies is only a 6+++ for Daemons). While the Keeper isn't hidden she's safe from getting the entire shooting phase so I'm optimistic she can get into combat. The question is what else can otherwise it'll be a short trip and my hopes of victory live or die on her.

gallery_30308_10077_202914.jpg

Turn 2

My opponent repositions, but fortunately can't move too far away as that's the board edge :tongue.: The Terminators and Captain arrive too and things might be in a bit of a pickle. The Keeper manages to escape serious harm but a lot more Daemonettes die - half of them are dead having achieved nothing so far so things are looking grim. If the Keeper can get to the left flank and cause some damage then hopefully my right flank can keep the Terminators back enough for her to produce victory, I'm not positive the plan will succeed but it's not like I have any other options and the dice gods favour the bold.

gallery_30308_10077_188938.jpg

Perhaps more than I thought, as my Advance rolls are excellent where they count - both the Keeper and Fiends get a 6 and the Daemon Prince a 5! The diminished Daemonettes squad can join the Keeper in an assault but I have no expectations of anything, only the slim chance they they can survive the Contemptor to tie it up. I wasn't sure whether to pitch the Fiends in to help the Prince, but the reduced Daemonette squad could reach too so I decide to go all in and send them after the Chaplain.

This turned out to be a good choice as they could kill him and consolidate into the Tacs to keep them locked in (first time I can use the Soporific Musk rule!). The Daemonettes all die but the Prince has a stonking combat. My opponent interrupts to strike first, but Warp Surge, Aura of Acquiescence and a Command Point re-roll keep his wound loss light. It's not like I have much to spend my Command Points on (the three you see out are it...). He rolls well and takes out three Terminators which is great. The Keeper has no problems slapping the Ironclad down either for a good turn I can start building from.

gallery_30308_10077_227202.jpg

For bonus points, that Daemonette squad that was lagging behind can sit on an objective to score some points. Also the Infernal Enrapturess moving up, but she was largely not present this battle sadly.

Turn 3

My opponent has suffered some setbacks and is in trouble with daemons all over the place but it's not over until the Great Unclean One sings. The Contemptor moves slightly and fire is poured into the Keeper. I spring for Warp Surge again and with some luck and a re-roll she emerges all but unscathed. In combat I use Acquiescence once more to reduce the Contemptor's chances which works well as he struggles and the Keeper can chop him down too.

The Termies fall back to shoot, letting the Captain move to assault, but as Slaanesh forces after the Contemptor whiffs I can activate the Prince who hacks him down before he can strike. The Fiends find their D2 useful as they take out the Tacs without too much trouble. The game is mine to win now, as even if things go badly the Keeper and reserve Daemonettes (and Enrapturess, if she can do something for once) should be enough to finish the job.

gallery_30308_10077_42648.jpg

Things don't go badly though. The Keeper can take out the furthest squad (after the Sergeant blows himself up on overwatch) as the Fiends finish the job nearby, and the last wound on the Terminators is taken by the Daemonettes (last chance saloon to actually do something) - Slaanesh is pleased with victory!

As far as games go, I'm not sure the last time things started out looking so dicey. It's especially hard work trying to get into position when you're getting plinked away constantly (and die like flies) but with some good advance rolls you can move so quickly. It's all down to much you can reach with in the initial charges - too few and you'll get picked apart.

Again, everything came down to the characters (not you, Enrapturess). The Keeper really is 50% of the effectiveness... the other 50% between the Prince and Fiends mostly. The Prince needs wings as that extra movement is worth every point, it was good to see the Fiends get a good game in killing things as well as being annoying. Against Marines they come into their own with their multi-wound attacks :)

Oh, and guess who forgot the instrument +1" bonuses again? :ermm: Good job I could roll well on advances and charges then :lol: I was great to get a larger game in but the wait for a new codex - with hopefully fixes and improvements - feels long indeed.

For what comes next, I've been thinking about the Epitome or Chariots but both will need some work to bring up to my desired standards. I might aim a bit smaller and do a Herald? The +1S aura will go far for the Daemonettes (assuming they get into combat).

Great battle report! Lovely to see all those painted models on the table :tu: An all melee army always has the fickle dice Gods to battle against - some choice rolling for advances really helped you out here. With so many Daemons closing in I think most armies would have struggled.

Well a +1S aura would help the Daemonettes out a lot (if they get into combat...) but I would like to see you start on the Chariots! Chariots are always fun models to see and I imagine it's pretty fast too so will be a good addition.

Your recent additions look ace, Warrior Fish - great work on the teeth and eyes.  And yeah, doing those fine details requires a steady hand and.or the willingness to go back (often repeatedly) to fix mistakes, but really can pay off.

Glad to see you've gotten them onto the table top with some success.  Haven't played mine much (just 2 games) but yeah, it can be daunting when your army just dies and dies and you are just hoping to get enough in to squeak out a win... especially when you are more used to shooting focused armies.

Given your enchantress didn't do much, I would recommend in larger games that you get and field Syll'Eske - not only will this boost the strength of your other units (it has the herald aura), but is a melee powerhouse on its own (in the 1 game I got it in melee, it killed 20+ ork boyz and the warboss).  The contorted epitome is much less potent in melee but is faster and has more psychic powers... I found it great to ensure you had a psycher where you need one, but given that the demon psychic powers are (IMHO) largely lackluster, if I had to choose I would definitely pick Syll'Eske unless you need a psycher that can keep up with seekers, chariots or other such fast units.

Haven't played the enchantress myself - its still sitting in my painting queue.

Edited by Dr_Ruminahui