Painting fatigue Solutions

cephalopod

Frequent breaks. When the shoulders start to ache, or either hand starts to go numb, I step away from the table, stretch for a bit, go sit at my desk for a bit, play a game or read a forum. 'Course, I also tend to spread painting a unit out over a week/month/longer, so it tends to be a short painting session, short break, second painting session, then extended break.

There's a couple of things that help, firstly good lighting. I've a couple of desk lamps clipped to a shelf. Secondly, good posture. The best way to achieve this is to raise your elbows so that when painting, the model is naturally at eye-line and you don't need to hunch over. This will cause less aches associated with longer painting sessions. Thirdly, motivation to keep going. I find BL's audiodramas perfect for this, whack on a audio and paint to some chainsword goodness.

Lastly, if you're not painting for competition, remember you don't *need* to go all out on EVERY model, with TT, gaming armies, you only should go all out on HQ models, Sgts maybe, as they're the models other players will want to look at. No one chooses to look at Tactical Marines when checking out someone else's army.

Oh, and batch paint, serious time saver, plus you get the motivational boost of seeing quick progress.

Cheers,

Jono

As mentioned - good lighting, comfy chair and plenty of breaks/stretching all help.

Personally I lock my elbows to the side of the body just above the hips, hands streched out in front of me with writs on the table edge if needed, try to keep the back straight and use a magnyfying lamp to make up for the increased distance to the mini.

A high table or raised platform might be an idea to try as well. Often used by watchmakers and jewellers

Physical fatigue, I just take a break and play video games or watch something on the computer while I wait for the paint to dry.

Mental fatigue, I just put the painting off for the next day, week, or however long it takes to become highly motivated again. I never fail to come back to this hobby even when I sometimes lose interest due to lack of new releases.

I was chuckling imagining op actually wanted tips on painting fatigues and is puzzled at the responses :)

Back on topic, I also try to take care of good foot support with a pillow to raise the feet slightly, it prevents me from bending over too much and hurting my back over time (like those office footstands)

Posted · Hidden by Bryan Blaire, January 2, 2017 - Spam?
Hidden by Bryan Blaire, January 2, 2017 - Spam?

I was chuckling imagining op actually wanted tips on painting fatigues and is puzzled at the responses smile.png

Back on topic, I also try to take care of good foot support with a pillow to raise the feet slightly, it prevents me from bending over too much and hurting my back over time (like those office footstands)

I'm always puzzled with humans.

I switched to an airbrush for 90% of my painting and it's really helped get models like marines done in batches. Fatigue for me normally is a result from hand painting too many repetitive bits/units and I feel like the airbrush completely speed up my process and really helped me feel like I was accomplishing a lot. I can just do eveything with my airbrush except paint details on weapons and things like flesh and eyes.

I hated painting until I lowered my expectations of model quality and started painting in batches. day 1 prime and base. Day 2 base weapons, insignia, etc and wash it. day 3 or later put on effects or highlights since they're basically table top quality after step day 2.

Taking the hours to painstakingly fix and perfect every detail on 3 models strained physically and mentally. Going sloppy and lose and correcting it to a good enough standard honestly produced the roughly same results unless you really look closely at the model. I mean, it won't win me a competition but I do however enjoy painting now so that's win enough in my book.

Also, I watch tv and/or batreps while I paint so that helps make it more enjoyable an exercise.

I hated painting until I lowered my expectations of model quality and started painting in batches. day 1 prime and base. Day 2 base weapons, insignia, etc and wash it. day 3 or later put on effects or highlights since they're basically table top quality after step day 2.

Taking the hours to painstakingly fix and perfect every detail on 3 models strained physically and mentally. Going sloppy and lose and correcting it to a good enough standard honestly produced the roughly same results unless you really look closely at the model. I mean, it won't win me a competition but I do however enjoy painting now so that's win enough in my book.

Also, I watch tv and/or batreps while I paint so that helps make it more enjoyable an exercise.

yeah. I'm a perfectionist. And painting fists, yellows a bastard. It's really difficult to get the models just right. I screwed up the drop pod I had been working on. And my stress went through the roof. Otherdays it's just fun. I don't batch paint because I have difficulty sticking to one thing. So everything in the link below is painted very randomly. Still finishing the army seems to be taking it's tole.

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/326998-me-109red-barron-inspired-imperial-fists-8th-company/

Well, I don't know what to tell you then. The results look great to me and I love the theme so if those were mine the results would be motivation enough. It'd just take me longer to get back to it between sessions.

You could try watching TV, bat reps or watching a movie on your computer while you paint to break up the monotony. If you work it in to your other daily routines it won't be so much of a chore.

• 2 weeks later...

I like to vary what I'm painting.

I've just finished 10 Tactical Marines from Betrayal at Calth, so the next phase is five Cataphractii Terminators. Once they're done, I'll do another 10 Tacticals, then the Contemptor dreadnought, then the final 10 Tacticals.

I've just finished 10 Tactical Marines from Betrayal at Calth, so the next phase is five Cataphractii Terminators. Once they're done, I'll do another 10 Tacticals, then the Contemptor dreadnought, then the final 10 Tacticals.

I do the same thing. But tend to split up the tacticals to two times 5 tacticals. 

My painting fatigue usually happens when working on infantry, good thing I don't play a horde army. When it happens, I just quit painting and start playing videogames until the mood to paint takes over again. 

I think music definitely helps me with painting fatigue. I've tried watching tv, and paint practically dried on my brush. Audio books don't work for me either, I keep loosing my place, and having to turn back the page and reread, or whatever the appropriate term for listening to an audio book is, but music requires no concentration that conflicts with painting for me, yet helps when painting gets a little monotonous.

I also like to have two projects going at once, either an hq and infantry, or a vehicle and infantry. I bounce back and forth between them sometimes, that way I don't get stuck painting trim on a helbrute for a few sessions, for instance.

One thing I need to improve on that would help with my own fatigue, is knowing when to scratch a project. My painting is mediocre at best, but I've had a couple of models that have been absolutely atrocious. In hindsight, I should have cut my losses, and dumped these models in a vat of simple green when I realized they were beyond my skill of saving. Instead, I stuck it out and finished them, only this wasn't a good thing, as having these models in my counter was a morale killer. They kept me from wanting to hobby.

For physical fatigue, if you have a high counter, you may want to try painting standing. I have a bar counter in my kitchen that reaches my elbows, and my back does a lot better when I stand at the counter then sitting a a desk. If I need extra stability, I put both elbows on the counter and spread my feet out a bit so I'm not so hunched over. It works for me.

I do the same thing. But tend to split up the tacticals to two times 5 tacticals.

I'd do that myself if I had other things to work on in between each group of five. ;)

Technically, I do, in that I have the two characters from BaC - but they're not going to be part of my Iron Hands group. Instead, I'm going to paint them as the characters they're supposed to be, Ultramarines Captain Steloc Aethon and Word Bearers Dark Apostle Kurtha Sedd - but I don't yet have the paints I need to do that properly, so I can't really use them as a break!

• 3 weeks later...

Aside from taking breaks while primer, washes, topcoats etc dry, I recommend the "20/20 Rule" - every 20 minutes, look at something 20 feet away for 20 seconds.  It lessens eye fatigue.  Also, your eyes might get dry because you don't blink as much.  Try some lubricating eye drops to relieve the sore eyes you might get from painting for too long.

Make sure to get up and stretch - you can get a lot of tension in your neck, back and arms even if your workstation is ergonomically arranged.

Remember to stay hydrated and have a snack every once in a while.  Sounds crazy, but if you forget to eat and drink for hours, it will affect your painting.

As far as mental fatigue, that can be handled by knowing when to call it a day and coming back fresh later, varying your projects, and doing something else from time to time to break up what might turn into monotony. It's supposed to be fun, and if it ever feels like it's not then you need to change it up.

Been working on my Stormraven of late. Previously it was a in a blu-tacced "get you by" state and I pledged to have it done by the end if April. As it turns out, it's been a joy to paint as I've been using different techniques on it and have been doing some research on the magnets, painting styles, etc.

My point is, try something different as you may well enjoy the experience. Watching painting videos on YouTube helps loads for ideas, etc, as does using newer paints for the first time. I'd also recommend trying out some new brushes; expanding my set helped me lots and the novelty of not having to struggle with an old brush hasn't worn off yet.

Another anecdote would be to reward yourself. Last year I had the Space Hulk TDA waiting for me as a reward and finally getting around to them was worth the wait. Was certainly motivated to do them!

Also, don't be too hard on yourself. You can always strip your line troops, etc, at a later date once you improve :)

Anyone got any tips on finger pain? I seem to be developing callouses on my thumb index and middle fingers from the way I've been holding my brushes, something I have never experienced before having painted miniatures for over twenty years on and off. As far as I can tell I haven't changed the way I hold the brush, but still, anyone got any ideas?

Anyone got any tips on finger pain? I seem to be developing callouses on my thumb index and middle fingers from the way I've been holding my brushes, something I have never experienced before having painted miniatures for over twenty years on and off. As far as I can tell I haven't changed the way I hold the brush, but still, anyone got any ideas?

What about using some soft pencil grippers like these or these? You might need to wind a bit of tape around the paintbrush handle first so that the grips will fit tightly and not slip, but that should help prevent you getting callouses at the very least.

I don't know if you also write by hand much with a pen/pencil, but that often tends to be a similar grip to how you hold a paintbrush, and many people grip too hard and press too hard when they write - over time, this can also cause or contribute to the same issues that you are describing.

Finally, developing strength in fingers and forearms is generally good all-round, and for painting and modelling it also helps to keep your hands steady (for example, when cutting with a knife/saw, drilling, painting, etc). If you are a member of a gym, it may be worth investigating what exercises and weights/machines may be available to you.

Archived