Weregeld what happened to Russ? *spoilers*

Lemanbus

Horus thinks that Sanguinius was better suited for Warmaster, melancholy or not; reconciling all the different accounts is impossible. I don't want to come off as a Wolf basher, knocking down Russ wasn't my intention. Horus is a superlative fighter and commander, foremost among his brothers. Who knows, maybe Russ will come out with rules that stomp him on the tabletop. Let's just enjoy the characters. tongue.png

I think Russ is battered and only survived because Horus would have let him live to run back to the Throneworld. It was probably Abaddon that wanted the "honour" of killing a Primarch. Horus would have not cared either way and let him give chase.

Post-Molech Horus is a God. I'm hoping his battle scenes are suitable awe-inspiring to prove no one can beat him.

We know Russ wasn't confident he could beat Horus as a general (at least that's the impression I got from VS, others opinions may vary).

In VS, he specifically wants to 'kill' Horus, after mentioning how he's fought all of his brothers in hand to hand over the centuries - he's clearly referring to taking him down man to man, not just defeating him as a general. Don't see how you can get the impression that he wasn't referring to trying to kill Horus himself.

On the rest of your post, you're totally right, of course, and everybody has different ideas. It's impossible to accurately rank all of the Primarchs in combat ability, and it was silly of me to mention it on the first place on a forum. Amateur mistake. I think it's fair to say that Horus and Russ are both among the top Primarch fighters regardless of the nitty gritty details. I'm personally hoping for some good dialogue between Russ and Horus when they do meet, detailing the moment that Russ realises his brother isn't really his brother anymore.

The more you know. it's been awhile since I've read VS, i was going off what I remember. I to look forward to Russ meeting Horus again, though I am just sick and tired of Space Wolves getting beaten at every turn.

If Prospero were a true victory I could look to I'd be alot more positive about the way things are atm. It's just hard to see my favorite faction get beaten on even in their own books.please forgive my saltyness. sad.png

Horus thinks that Sanguinius was better suited for Warmaster, melancholy or not; reconciling all the different accounts is impossible. I don't want to come off as a Wolf basher, knocking down Russ wasn't my intention. Horus is a superlative fighter and commander, foremost among his brothers. Who knows, maybe Russ will come out with rules that stomp him on the tabletop. Let's just enjoy the characters. tongue.png

I was gonna mention that as well. And well said.

Laurie Goulding said on another forum his injuries involved Horus.

Involved going after Horus, is what he said, which still does not tell us whether Russ got injured fighting Horus himself, or got injured fighting the many defenders of Horus.

I said exactly that, but if you want to be accurate he said he sustained them 'going after Horus'. Right after that though Goulding quipped that he was half-expecting Russ to say "You... You should have seen... the other guy..." which heavily implies he came face to face with the Warmaster. Don't want to draw outright conclusions from teasing forum posts, but I would be very, very surprised if they do not meet/fight. We'll see.

If Prospero were a true victory I could look to I'd be alot more positive about the way things are atm. It's just hard to see my favorite faction get beaten on even in their own books.please forgive my saltyness. sad.png

Hopefully Inferno by FW does the Wolves justice.

I think Russ is battered and only survived because Horus would have let him live to run back to the Throneworld. It was probably Abaddon that wanted the "honour" of killing a Primarch. Horus would have not cared either way and let him give chase.

Post-Molech Horus is a God. I'm hoping his battle scenes are suitable awe-inspiring to prove no one can beat him.

He is definitely not a God. Overspilled with power, chosen of Chaos Undivided - yes he is. But not a God.

Laurie Goulding said on another forum his injuries involved Horus.

Involved going after Horus, is what he said, which still does not tell us whether Russ got injured fighting Horus himself, or got injured fighting the many defenders of Horus.

Have you read Vengeful spirit? Add VS + Wolf Cull + what Laurie said > and you will get the full picture

I love it when people talk about me like I'm not here.

Usual day on B&C biggrin.png

Alpharius would have killed Dorn if not for the intervention of his Huskarl

It seems quite certain that Alph would have hurt Dorn more seriously had Archamus not stepped in

However, it seems far from certain that absent Archamus, Alph was guaranteed to kill Dorn

Archamus thinks Dorn is oblivious to the incoming blow, but Archamus might have been wrong, i.e. Archamus might have been surprised by the outcome had he failed to intervene

I disagree. His move is robbed of heroism if it goes from the 'perfect blow' to a 'blow that Dorn may have/would have blocked'. Either way, the end result does not change. Change it from 'would have killed' to 'would have landed a perfect blow' if that makes you happy. I'd define a perfect blow as a killing thrust, ending the fight in a single strike. It's what makes the whole scene so brilliant for me - yes, Alpharius gets annihilated, but it's because he threw everything into a desperate fight-ending move, which didn't come through. One of the best duels in 30k.

I think we can all agree that Russ should have sent random sergeant Wolfy McPowerfist to do the deed. Horus would have rolled some ones and then the heresy would've ended right there.

A Primarch (or some random high ranking character) dying to a random grunt in the middle of a battle is what I'm waiting for. tongue.png

Just wait until Dorn buys the farm ;) he gets gibbed by a bunch of cultists.

Alpharius would have killed Dorn if not for the intervention of his Huskarl

It seems quite certain that Alph would have hurt Dorn more seriously had Archamus not stepped in

However, it seems far from certain that absent Archamus, Alph was guaranteed to kill Dorn

Archamus thinks Dorn is oblivious to the incoming blow, but Archamus might have been wrong, i.e. Archamus might have been surprised by the outcome had he failed to intervene

I disagree. His move is robbed of heroism if it goes from the 'perfect blow' to a 'blow that Dorn may have/would have blocked'. Either way, the end result does not change. Change it from 'would have killed' to 'would have landed a perfect blow' if that makes you happy. I'd define a perfect blow as a killing thrust, ending the fight in a single strike. It's what makes the whole scene so brilliant for me - yes, Alpharius gets annihilated, but it's because he threw everything into a desperate fight-ending move, which didn't come through. One of the best duels in 30k.

I think we can all agree that Russ should have sent random sergeant Wolfy McPowerfist to do the deed. Horus would have rolled some ones and then the heresy would've ended right there.

A Primarch (or some random high ranking character) dying to a random grunt in the middle of a battle is what I'm waiting for. tongue.png

Just wait until Dorn buys the farm msn-wink.gif he gets gibbed by a bunch of cultists.

To be fair - one of them will have a pistol biggrin.png

I don't think it was "just" Horus. It was transcendent Horus afaik.

We'll find out more later on in the series, apparently Space Wolves and Raven Guard are getting their own subplot. Hopefully it doesn't make the Wolves look like the arrogant, impotent buffoons they currently are mellow.png.

There's a subplot in the brewing? First I have heard of it....... didn't the RG and SW go their separate ways at the end of Weregeld? I don't think it was said but rather implied.

The RG are the most screwed over legion in the heresy, with the wolves a close second tongue.png. If there's a team-up I can't see any miracles happening.

We'll find out more later on in the series, apparently Space Wolves and Raven Guard are getting their own subplot. Hopefully it doesn't make the Wolves look like the arrogant, impotent buffoons they currently are mellow.png.

There's a subplot in the brewing? First I have heard of it....... didn't the RG and SW go their separate ways at the end of Weregeld? I don't think it was said but rather implied.

The RG are the most screwed over legion in the heresy, with the wolves a close second tongue.png. If there's a team-up I can't see any miracles happening.

In Goulding's interview, he hinted that SW's and RG would get their own sidestory. If Goulding wants to comment on that I'd be much obliged.

I still have hope that both Russ's and Corax's story arcs can and will get corrected. It's just not very muchsleep.png

In Goulding's interview, he hinted that SW's and RG would get their own sidestory. If Goulding wants to comment on that I'd be much obliged.

I still have hope that both Russ's and Corax's story arcs can and will get corrected. It's just not very muchsleep.png

you read the invision thread and previous page - right?

Hi all,

Long time lurker first time poster here, so I hope this is in the right place....

So Russ is pretty battered in Weregeld,  we know that Corax is daunted by the strength of the blows which have  dented and cut the Wolf Kings shield. Last we heard Russ was off to face Horus, did he make it? Did he get a slapping, the marks made by the Talon? We know Abaddon is despatched by the Warmaster to oversee the 6th's destruction, a pursuit force perhaps?

I'm interested to hear your guys thoughts on what you think happened with Russ.

You kinda missed the news do you? Kinda missed several threads about poor wolves and Wolf Cull? Where have you been friend?

I only frequent this site really so if I have missed anything ground breaking elsewhere I apologise. Although looking at the replies it would seem more than a few missed this elaboration on the wolf side plot friend :) The link you posted was most enlightening so thanks for that.   

As questionable as Russ's decision making is up to this point, he definitely in my eyes has the biggest "balls" of all his loyal brothers, as he has had enough humbling's to not purely be driven by an insane level of arrogance whilst dancing round the galaxy doing some pretty gnarly stuff . Confronting Angron, Magnus and going straight at Horus. I know others have taken the high road and probably tactically superior one at that  (defending terra, guerrilla warfare etc) but I've got to  respect Russ for the sheer killer attitude he has.  

Only if one of the higher echelon writers got hold of them. Hopefully a side-story isn't written by the RG's favoured author. I now know what was meant when Corax said "Nevermore".biggrin.png

LaurieJGoulding, on 15 Dec 2016 - 2:57 PM, said:snapback.png

I love it when people talk about me like I'm not here.

Need moar info plz. tongue.png

I don't think Russ went after Horus alone with just his legion he's too smart for that! We've seen him plan things tactically very well in all the previous stories he's featured. Drawing in Angron, trying to draw in Alpharius, the destruction of Prospero.

Didn't Russ meet up with a dark angel star fort called the Chimera at the end of Wolf king? When he found out about this he did have a little twinkle in his eye, my thoughts would be that he thought that a star fort like the Chimera would be pretty damn handy in a fight.

Also I may be in the minority here but I hope this story is a special edition Novella release but the same size as Tallern Iron clad.

I can imagine the headline of wolves vs wolves. Just thinking up ideas for the front cover alone makes me excited. BL have something potentially very bloody awesome here!

Laurie care to give us a little hint? msn-wink.gif

I don't think Russ went after Horus alone with just his legion he's too smart for that! We've seen him plan things tactically very well in all the previous stories he's featured. Drawing in Angron, trying to draw in Alpharius, the destruction of Prospero.

Didn't Russ meet up with a dark angel star fort called the Chimera at the end of Wolf king? When he found out about this he did have a little twinkle in his eye, my thoughts would be that he thought that a star fort like the Chimera would be pretty damn handy in a fight.

Also I may be in the minority here but I hope this story is a special edition Novella release but the same size as Tallern Iron clad.

I can imagine the headline of wolves vs wolves. Just thinking up ideas for the front cover alone makes me excited. BL have something potentially very bloody awesome here!

Laurie care to give us a little hint? msn-wink.gif

Relevant scene in VS:

‘You’re going to kill Horus?’

‘I am, but I need your help to do it.’

Loken laughed, now certain this was a joke.

‘You’re going to kill Horus?’ he repeated, carefully enunciating every word to avoid misunderstanding. ‘And you need my help?’

Russ looked over at Malcador with a frown. ‘Why does he keep asking me the same question? I know he’s not simple, so why is he being so dense?’

‘I think your directness after so oblique an approach has him confused.’

‘I was perfectly clear, but I will lay it out one last time.’

Loken forced himself to listen intently to the Wolf King’s every word, knowing there would be no hidden meanings, no subtext and no ulterior motives. What Russ required of him would be exactly as it was spoken.

‘I am going to lead the Rout in battle against Horus, and I am going to kill him.’

Loken sat back on the rock, still trying to process the idea of a combat between Leman Russ and Horus. Loken had seen both primarchs make war over the last century, but when it came down to blood and death he saw only one outcome.

‘Horus Lupercal will kill you,’ said Loken.

Had he named any other individual, Loken had no doubt the Wolf King would have torn his throat out before he’d even known what was happening. Instead, Russ nodded.

‘You’re right,’ he said, his eyes taking on a distant look as he relived old battles. ‘I’ve fought every one of my brothers over the centuries, either in training or with blooded blade. I know for a fact I can kill any one of them if had to…but Horus.

Russ shook his head and his next words were spoken like a shameful confession, each one a bitter curse.

‘He’s the only one I don’t know if I can beat.’

So it seems...Russ thinks he has a solid (or more than solid) chance of killing any one of his brothers. That's how I'm interpreting "can kill"

However, Horus is the exception...Russ doesn't like his odds against Horus

I'm not going to straight-up tell  you all what the rest of the HH series looks like, but we've been pretty clear on two things:

1) Chronologically, the Space Wolves and the Raven Guard take no further part in the Horus Heresy after the events of 'Weregeld'. If you refer to 'Leman Russ - The Great Wolf', he says that they tried to return to Terra when they heard about Horus' invasion, but they didn't make it until after the Warmaster and the Emperor had both fallen. There might be stories following these two Legions and what they did in the intervening time, but considering the disproportional rage-hate that 20% of the fanbase spews every time we do a book that's "not furthering the plot" (gods, that phrase really boils my blood...) it certainly won't be part of the main range HH series heading towards the Siege of Terra.

2) However, thus far we've skirted around the events of Yarant III and Russ' long-planned attack on Horus. Much like 'Wolf King', we will skip backwards, chronologoically, in order to tell that story - because it has direct implications for Horus, and that needed to come after the release of 'Corax', because reasons.

Crikey, it's like we've got a plan or something here, and we're not just making this up as we go along...

(InB4 "WHAT ABOUT ALL THE STUFF YOU MADE UP THEN LOL")

(InB4 "HOW MANY BOOKS LEFT IN THE SERIES")

(InB4 "I HAVEN'T BOUGHT ANY HH BOOKS SINCE 'FULGRIM' SO I DON'T CARE")

For a time, yes. But he didn't replace Meduson, he just stole the identity while it was convenient due to Meduson's absence/MIA status at the time. What actually happened to Shadrak himself hasn't been elaborated on yet. For all we know, he's still being hunted by Tybalt and co.

Archived