Weregeld what happened to Russ? *spoilers*

Lemanbus

The last we saw from Meduson, his Iron Father 'Hand Elect' Jebez Aug was becoming a bit disillusioned with his style of command, and had started talking privately with the rest of the Iron Council...

So that will probably end well, right?

I'm not going to straight-up tell  you all what the rest of the HH series looks like, but we've been pretty clear on two things:

1) Chronologically, the Space Wolves and the Raven Guard take no further part in the Horus Heresy after the events of 'Weregeld'. If you refer to 'Leman Russ - The Great Wolf', he says that they tried to return to Terra when they heard about Horus' invasion, but they didn't make it until after the Warmaster and the Emperor had both fallen. There might be stories following these two Legions and what they did in the intervening time, but considering the disproportional rage-hate that 20% of the fanbase spews every time we do a book that's "not furthering the plot" (gods, that phrase really boils my blood...) it certainly won't be part of the main range HH series heading towards the Siege of Terra.

2) However, thus far we've skirted around the events of Yarant III and Russ' long-planned attack on Horus. Much like 'Wolf King', we will skip backwards, chronologoically, in order to tell that story - because it has direct implications for Horus, and that needed to come after the release of 'Corax', because reasons.

Crikey, it's like we've got a plan or something here, and we're not just making this up as we go along...

(InB4 "WHAT ABOUT ALL THE STUFF YOU MADE UP THEN LOL")

(InB4 "HOW MANY BOOKS LEFT IN THE SERIES")

(InB4 "I HAVEN'T BOUGHT ANY HH BOOKS SINCE 'FULGRIM' SO I DON'T CARE

The end of Were geld was a full stop so to speak in the saga of the space wolves and raven guard and I'm fine with that, I'm sure they will be very significant in the scouring saga or whatever it will be called after the Horus Heresy.

In terms of Yarant III, this is a very important story to tell as its how Russ gets to where he is in Were geld and also its an important mile stone that Horus would have to make to get to both in terms of character progression and moving forward to Terra.

Does Yarant III take place after Beta Garmon or before? I'm really looking forward to seeing a lot more Horus and if he is present at both of these places then we are in luck.

Hi all,

Long time lurker first time poster here, so I hope this is in the right place....

So Russ is pretty battered in Weregeld, we know that Corax is daunted by the strength of the blows which have dented and cut the Wolf Kings shield. Last we heard Russ was off to face Horus, did he make it? Did he get a slapping, the marks made by the Talon? We know Abaddon is despatched by the Warmaster to oversee the 6th's destruction, a pursuit force perhaps?

I'm interested to hear your guys thoughts on what you think happened with Russ.

You kinda missed the news do you? Kinda missed several threads about poor wolves and Wolf Cull? Where have you been friend?

I only frequent this site really so if I have missed anything ground breaking elsewhere I apologise. Although looking at the replies it would seem more than a few missed this elaboration on the wolf side plot friend smile.png The link you posted was most enlightening so thanks for that.

As questionable as Russ's decision making is up to this point, he definitely in my eyes has the biggest "balls" of all his loyal brothers, as he has had enough humbling's to not purely be driven by an insane level of arrogance whilst dancing round the galaxy doing some pretty gnarly stuff . Confronting Angron, Magnus and going straight at Horus. I know others have taken the high road and probably tactically superior one at that (defending terra, guerrilla warfare etc) but I've got to respect Russ for the sheer killer attitude he has.

You want to see Russ arrogance - how about

At Leman Russ Primarch novella about his duel with Lion on Dulan - he surpases all levels of 'good' behavior. Then his blood warriors killed a hundred Dreadwing DA by mistake he 'officialy apoloized' before Lion. But then he met Lion a little bit later - he told generally the next 'That was for show. If you will ever talk to me like that boy, I will reap your lungs out'. Being a dick is what Russ do best - and after that he is surprised everyone hates him

I'm not going to straight-up tell you all what the rest of the HH series looks like, but we've been pretty clear on two things:

1) Chronologically, the Space Wolves and the Raven Guard take no further part in the Horus Heresy after the events of 'Weregeld'. If you refer to 'Leman Russ - The Great Wolf', he says that they tried to return to Terra when they heard about Horus' invasion, but they didn't make it until after the Warmaster and the Emperor had both fallen. There might be stories following these two Legions and what they did in the intervening time, but considering the disproportional rage-hate that 20% of the fanbase spews every time we do a book that's "not furthering the plot" (gods, that phrase really boils my blood...) it certainly won't be part of the main range HH series heading towards the Siege of Terra.

2) However, thus far we've skirted around the events of Yarant III and Russ' long-planned attack on Horus. Much like 'Wolf King', we will skip backwards, chronologoically, in order to tell that story - because it has direct implications for Horus, and that needed to come after the release of 'Corax', because reasons.

Crikey, it's like we've got a plan or something here, and we're not just making this up as we go along...

(InB4 "WHAT ABOUT ALL THE STUFF YOU MADE UP THEN LOL")

(InB4 "HOW MANY BOOKS LEFT IN THE SERIES")

(InB4 "I HAVEN'T BOUGHT ANY HH BOOKS SINCE 'FULGRIM' SO I DON'T CARE")

Very Good explanation - ty. But eventually as we discussed before - at Yarant we have the afterevent of assault on Horus. For obvious reasons it should have went before 'Weregeld'.

I have no problem against "side stories", if you will...just don't like bland prose

Wraight, ADB, Abnett, French...can't go wrong with them

Same brother. Laurie if you get Kyme to write Wolf Cull - my dreadful spectre will hunt you for all the eternity.

For a time, yes. But he didn't replace Meduson, he just stole the identity while it was convenient due to Meduson's absence/MIA status at the time. What actually happened to Shadrak himself hasn't been elaborated on yet. For all we know, he's still being hunted by Tybalt and co.

His hunted by Marr - but you remember the event's of Abnett's short in Meduson, right? 'He hasn't taken Marr head not yet, not on that day...'

The last we saw from Meduson, his Iron Father 'Hand Elect' Jebez Aug was becoming a bit disillusioned with his style of command, and had started talking privately with the rest of the Iron Council...

So that will probably end well, right?

Definitely - Shadrak will kill the idiots and will rule as Ferrus Manus reincarnate biggrin.png

I can't say.

So yes- it will, sadly. Kyme - so it seems that my eternal spirit of vengeance will hunt you for eternity biggrin.png

Chronologically yeah the battle for Yarant III would make more sense coming out before Were geld in terms of the tale of Russ and the space wolves, however there maybe more to the battle of Yarant III that has implications in other unreleased Horus Heresy titles.

I really, really want to know why Russ thought he had a chance against Horus and his warmachine. They are a shattered legion in all but name, and have continually shown themselves to be inferior to just about every other loyalist legion in terms of fighting and tactics. And now apparently the "cunning hunter" aspect of Russ is bs as he throws caution to the wind in a suicide mission that leaves him stranded away from terra.

The Primarchs books are novels. Not novellas. No amount of calling them novellas is going to make it true...

And Horus does not come to Yarant, but he is very much involved at Beta-Garmon, especially in the latter stages.

So exactly who takes part in Yarant? I remember Alpha Legion (ugh) being involved, plus Abaddon.

The Primarchs books are novels. Not novellas. No amount of calling them novellas is going to make it true...

And Horus does not come to Yarant, but he is very much involved at Beta-Garmon, especially in the latter stages.

1) 200 pages novels are novellas. Stop pretending biggrin.png

2) Beta-Garmon becoming more and more exciting with each day ;)

So exactly who takes part in Yarant? I remember Alpha Legion (ugh) being involved, plus Abaddon.

+ World Eaters and Thousand Sons msn-wink.gif

Now that is interesting, I'm going to go on a stretch and say that maybe Russ is thinking he is going up against Horus but Horus sends one of his other brothers instead as he is too busy dealing with Beta Garmon.

Maybe Pertuarbo? though he would be tremendously useful at Beta Garmon with it being a huge siege kind of event.

Maybe Mortarion? again we know he is wanting to pull his captain Typhus back into the fold as he did not answer his summons.

Maybe Angron? though he was with the word bearers fleet and Lorgar? Which we have no idea where they are?

Maybe Fulgrim? we don't have any idea where he has slithered off to?

Cant be Konrad he's stuck in Imperium secundus.

I don't think its Magnus as he is in Crimson King ( unless Crimson king covers the battle of Yarant, it was after all a plot line laid down by Graham Mcneil back in Vengeful spirit)

Maybe Omegon? I mean Alpharius?

Or maybe none of them, maybe something else?

2) Beta-Garmon becoming more and more exciting with each day msn-wink.gif

Let's not derail an interesting topic with what is and is not a novella.

But while I'm at it, if you were saying 150 pages is still within the novella range, especially with the blank spacing and larger type being used, I am in agreement.

But a 200 pager is not a novella anymore, Laurie is right, and I guess it gets quite irritating to have to say that.

There are general, non-BL related guidelines for what is and is not a novel/novella.

Vengeful Spirit.

Basically the storyline in Wolf king is how Russ escaped the Alpha Legion smack down he was getting. To be fair they had just had a massive scrap with the thousand sons and were half way through repairs when the Alpha showed up.

The real stinger is being saved by DA's. Completely unnecessary.

Though if Prospero is truly a success, it all becomes less annoying. I just don't like the idea of the SW's shattering themselves on Prospero only to fail miserably at actually decimating the Tsons. Even with help from SoS and Custodes.

To be fair the Thousand sons (always hated their name) Were like the jedi order. I always felt that even the cover art was taken from That City Planet 

http://a.dilcdn.com/bl/wp-content/uploads/sites/6/2015/10/JediTemple00.jpg

Back to my main point though. They did require all that force for a few simple reasons, 

1: They The SW's thought they were taking down an astartee garrisoned planet with elite prospero spire guard. (As the old saying goes, even a mongrel can whip a pedigree in it's own back yard)

2: Although it lead to many of their own deaths the warp power they wielded was pretty dam serious. 

3:Space Wolves were serious haters of the mystic art's, yet I feel Mortarion would of been sent with the death guard if he was not needed at Istvaan. And even those foot sloggers would eat punishment for breakfast would of needed that level of help.

Problem with Russ is, hes not an individual who is not accustomed to defeat and charges into any challenge with the strongest "can do" attitude. Yet this can also be the crux of his undoing. Although there have been some "cringe" moment's hes still one of my favourites. (Probably because I envision him as a Hugh Jackman Wolverine Primarch.) 

Keep in mind that Horus having turned wasn't a thing yet to the Wolves by the time they went to Prospero. ForgeWorld apparently also added a contingent of Sons of Horus to the Wolves' forces at Prospero (which isn't reflected in the novels).

Yet another nail of the coffin of the Space Wolves legacy (or lack of one). The one thing they're known for in the Heresy, and they are becoming more and more marginalized and belittled.

2) Beta-Garmon becoming more and more exciting with each day msn-wink.gif

Let's not derail an interesting topic with what is and is not a novella.

But while I'm at it, if you were saying 150 pages is still within the novella range, especially with the blank spacing and larger type being used, I am in agreement.

But a 200 pager is not a novella anymore, Laurie is right, and I guess it gets quite irritating to have to say that.

There are general, non-BL related guidelines for what is and is not a novel/novella.

4 years ago they were 350-400 pages. It's the issue of the last several years. And it seems - that's the cost of production what making the impact on page number. Just look at TBA/SM Legends 'novels' - they are half of the page count of the usual old HH books.

Who cares about what story may or may not come out.

A lot of people/fans. Especially the ones who plan with the wallet and salary day.

Keep in mind that Horus having turned wasn't a thing yet to the Wolves by the time they went to Prospero. ForgeWorld apparently also added a contingent of Sons of Horus to the Wolves' forces at Prospero (which isn't reflected in the novels).

What? Which ForgeWorld book? They haven't released 'Inferno' yet

Archived