Dawn of War III done by RobMac

Kelborn

• The story won't be an exact transferral from screen to page, but it tries to get as close as possible.

robbie. robbie. hold up. I'll take it as a personal insult if every "Build a listening post" line spoken isn't in the final novel. verbatim. no excuses.msn-wink.gif

• The story won't be an exact transferral from screen to page, but it tries to get as close as possible.

robbie. robbie. hold up. I'll take it as a personal insult if every "Build a listening post" line spoken isn't in the final novel. verbatim. no excuses.msn-wink.gif

"Squad morale broken."

"Squad morale restored."

"Squad morale broken..."

At least it isn't like Command & Conquer where you'd have dozens of individual units in a battle and you'd get spammed with "Unit promoted! Unit lost!" notifications from start to finish.

...I miss those days. RTS, proper RTS, have become too rare.

These days its all about the lols and dotas. Speaking of, there was a 40k one of those, but it shut down within a year of entering closed beta. Who'd have thought...

"Squad morale broken."

"Squad morale restored."

"Squad morale broken..."

'Squad morale risen'

'Squad morale overflown'

'squad morale overhelmed' biggrin.png

And listing it, I might add, for April. I hope that's the final cover, I like it. 

Will the novel include or adapt that beautifully enigmatic announcement trailer?

The trailer is more, as you say, enigmatic than a proper line-up for the plot, but I worked in as much of it as I could. Most importantly, the Space Marines verses deff dreads and the Imperial Knights versus Wraithknights are in. There are a few other elements I included off my own back too, but I won't say lest spoilers occur. In fact for the first week or so I didn't really have anything to work off except the trailer, so the spirit of it is definitely there. 

Where you informed about the story of the game or will your book be something like a prelude for it?

Did they also give you some time playing a demo in order to emphasize with the setting, getting some inspirations and the likes?

But please avoid back flipping termies, will you? ^^

The book will be as exact a novelisation of the events that occur in the game as is possible. And no, no demo for me sadly, aside from the script, briefings and various images I gleaned a lot from watching the beta gameplay streamed by the Dawn of War team. There everyone was debating over whether it looked cartoony or not on Twitch while I scribbled notes about the nature of the map landscapes. 

And listing it, I might add, for April. I hope that's the final cover, I like it. 

Will the novel include or adapt that beautifully enigmatic announcement trailer?

The trailer is more, as you say, enigmatic than a proper line-up for the plot, but I worked in as much of it as I could. Most importantly, the Space Marines verses deff dreads and the Imperial Knights versus Wraithknights are in. There are a few other elements I included off my own back too, but I won't say lest spoilers occur. In fact for the first week or so I didn't really have anything to work off except the trailer, so the spirit of it is definitely there. 

Robbie we need Imperial Knights versus Black Legion terminators and Maulerfiends ;)

The book will be as exact a novelisation of the events that occur in the game as is possible. And no, no demo for me sadly, aside from the script, briefings and various images I gleaned a lot from watching the beta gameplay streamed by the Dawn of War team. There everyone was debating over whether it looked cartoony or not on Twitch while I scribbled notes about the nature of the map landscapes. 

Because it is looking cartoonish and very Dota like. But I do hope that Gabriel Angelos DOES NOT DO DOUBLEJUMPS IN TERMINATOR ARMOUR IN YOUR NOVEL !

Aye...that trailer was a thing of beauty

It was and probably the most 'grimdark' of all the DOW gametrailers. But the game itself - is like disney+star wars. Which is not a good thing.

Gonna have to disagree vehemently with you there, Heritor.

RobMac, that sounds like a deeply weird way to write, once you put it that way.

Rob should explain a lot of things in the novel lol. For example I hope we will not see Jumping terminator armour, 1500 SM killed in a mission from 1000 existing SM in the chapter, how eldars gor so much forces yada yada. How Imperial Knight are inside a SM Chapter structure etc. And most of all to show that 'evilness' of an orks. Cause so far - all I did then I saw orks gameplay - LAUGHED A LOT biggrin.png

Actually I don't envy Robbie - cause he need to put all that mess and make it readable.

It has its own challenges. One thing I've learned since becoming a fully signed-up author is the reality behind the job. When you're reading or writing fanfic for yourself you spend ages dreaming about the perfect story, or crafting amazing worlds and characters (and often never finishing them). When you go pro you realise the constraints of time and the importance of deadlines. It's a buisness and a job before it's an art form, at least in my opinion. Writing a tie-in for a game is just a variation of that, it comes with its own unqiue quirks and challenges. I'm happy with the novel's outcome, but we'll see how The People receive it.

It has its own challenges. One thing I've learned since becoming a fully signed-up author is the reality behind the job. When you're reading or writing fanfic for yourself you spend ages dreaming about the perfect story, or crafting amazing worlds and characters (and often never finishing them). When you go pro you realise the constraints of time and the importance of deadlines. It's a buisness and a job before it's an art form, at least in my opinion. Writing a tie-in for a game is just a variation of that, it comes with its own unqiue quirks and challenges. I'm happy with the novel's outcome, but we'll see how The People receive it.

Robbie it would not be a simple task - people will rank it as a separate novel and at the same time as a game to page story. On both behalf I could only say - I do feel your pain :)

"Squad morale broken."

"Squad morale restored."

"Squad morale broken..."

I read that, and then I think about to what extent the capabilities of Space Marine power armour and its various battle-tracking and communications systems having been expounded on so much over the past decade or so. Given that the Imperium of Man so often is an intersection between the technologically miraculous and the borderline idiotic, how great would it be if Space Marine Sergeants do, in fact, get those chimes every. single. time?

Think about it. If we go by Abnett-verse (which I dig, but don't hold as exclusive from other "-verses"), we have Space Marines who basically have the Codex Astartes and its infinite number of situation-dependent tactics, counter-tactics, and stratagems memorized. They have displays synced to their brains and retinas that relay all manner of geographical, meteorological, chronological, and tactical data. They are able to coordinate with their Battle-Brothers and act in concert on a superhuman level.

And in the background, completely unnecessary and totally distracting in the middle of deadly combat against, I don't know, the monstrous horror of humanity's nightmares of murder and lust given physical form:

*SQUAD MORALE BROKEN*

*SQUAD MORALE RESTORED*

*SQUAD MORA-*

"I GET IT, I GET IT, I GET IT!!! Our struggle to preserve Chronos IV from the manifestation of hell is a back-and-forth affair!!! By the Throne, shut your mouth, machine spirit!!!"

"Squad morale broken."

"Squad morale restored."

"Squad morale broken..."

I read that, and then I think about to what extent the capabilities of Space Marine power armour and its various battle-tracking and communications systems having been expounded on so much over the past decade or so. Given that the Imperium of Man so often is an intersection between the technologically miraculous and the borderline idiotic, how great would it be if Space Marine Sergeants do, in fact, get those chimes every. single. time?

Think about it. If we go by Abnett-verse (which I dig, but don't hold as exclusive from other "-verses"), we have Space Marines who basically have the Codex Astartes and its infinite number of situation-dependent tactics, counter-tactics, and stratagems memorized. They have displays synced to their brains and retinas that relay all manner of geographical, meteorological, chronological, and tactical data. They are able to coordinate with their Battle-Brothers and act in concert on a superhuman level.

And in the background, completely unnecessary and totally distracting in the middle of deadly combat against, I don't know, the monstrous horror of humanity's nightmares of murder and lust given physical form:

*SQUAD MORALE BROKEN*

*SQUAD MORALE RESTORED*

*SQUAD MORA-*

"I GET IT, I GET IT, I GET IT!!! Our struggle to preserve Chronos IV from the manifestation of hell is a back-and-forth affair!!! By the Throne, shut your mouth, machine spirit!!!"

That was briliant mate, lol.

In all seriousness - SM came from human but are transhuman. They can't be compared with nowdays army structure and squads (especially with 19..-s). They do not know fear, they can multitask and each squad is a machine, machine that can't be stopped - except with bigger force.

We are trying to rate the game - that's why it's a little unfair for the SM prowess. On the other hand if you remove this kind of alerts - you will be playing with mute squads ;) Not the best way to play DOW ;)

• 1 month later...

Little update

I've seen that this is already finished. RobMac posted a picture of his copy on his FB account.

I've said it before and I still mean it: You're a beast, Rob! :P

When may we get a teaser or some infos about your next project? ^^

Little update

I've seen that this is already finished. RobMac posted a picture of his copy on his FB account.

I've said it before and I still mean it: You're a beast, Rob! tongue.png

Robbie finished it? Just in time with the April 27th pre-order. Robbie - hope you will justice to the story. Cause the narrative in the game so far looks ...

Little update

I've said it before and I still mean it: You're a beast, Rob! tongue.png

It was finished in October rolleyesclean.gif As for the next project...

Yes yes yes - give me more motorbikes marines :)

Archived