Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Gathering Storm: Fall of Cadia

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1895 replies to this topic

SydonianDragoon404

SydonianDragoon404

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 177 posts

Rules are up!

http://imgur.com/a/vKWv1

For the characters. Important distinction there I think. 

I feel like Greyfax is overpriced. Saint Celestine is still going to be used in death stars because she and her bodyguards can still join a unit. Kind of dumb in my opinion but whatever. I was hoping that they were going to make it so should couldn't join a unit anymore so death stars couldn't continue to abuse her. 

Edited by SydonianDragoon404, 11 January 2017 - 02:01 AM.

MrFlutterPie

MrFlutterPie

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 226 posts

I just got so excitedtongue.png

Celestine is everything I ever hoped for and them some.  After the emotional roller coaster ride that was C:IA I am just so overjoyed to see my favorite saint getting rules that truly reflect her impressive status.  biggrin.png

• TheFinisher4Ever likes this

KhPFO6N.pnggallery_51296_10593_8492.pngY4wv64l.jpg

#CelestineReborn2017

Lagrath

Lagrath

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,593 posts
  • Chapter Name: Hexfleet Virules

Celestine just became one of the best units in the game.  And can join mobile deathstars.  The math behind trying to get rid of her inside a squad is staggering.  Toughest character in the game.  Cawl and Greyfax are also amazing.  Damn I wish they would make rules for Chaos characters nearly this good.

Edit: Honestly for the points I think Celestine is probably the best character in the game period now.

Edited by Lagrath, 11 January 2017 - 02:08 AM.

mhacdebhandia

mhacdebhandia

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 292 posts
  • Chapter Name: Sons of Medusa

The problem is, according to pretty much all the old fluff, Pylons are about the only thing making invasions from Eye possible. Blow them up and it's bye bye for old 'armless, he no longer has fortress in his way but the road doesn't exist either, all he has are a handful of constantly changing and treacherous foot trails swept by avalanches from time to time. That's why planet killer wasn't used on Cadia in 12th, and I'd like to hear how the Pylons no longer matter in this book...

My impression from the published pages was that Abaddon's plan never involved the pylons at all - he speaks mockingly of the Imperium's "game with the pylons." His plan was to defeat or occupy Cadia by breaking the spirit of its defenders.

The deactivation of the pylons and the implied destruction of the actual planet itself appears to have been a consequence of Cawl's plan to amplify the pylons' effects to close the Eye of Terror for good, a plan which backfired because he wasn't capable of controlling the system properly.

It's definitely interesting, though, if what I've just written is correct, to ask what the consequences are for both sides. If the Cadian Gate out of the Eye of Terror no longer exists, that means there's no longer a simple route out of the Eye (although as Diamor, Baal, and Fenris show, it's not like Chaos has to come out that way into realspace).

It may be harder for the Black Crusade to coordinate itself without a stable route into Imperial space, but that also makes it harder for the Imperium to concentrate its defences.

Goonbandito

Goonbandito

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 286 posts
  • Chapter Name: Order of the 3rd Sector Saints

Fall of Cadia book in hand, ask away!

Incoming St Celestine Buffs:

• 200pts, comes with her 2 Geminae Superia included.
  • HQ choice for Faction: Adepta Sororitas
  • 5wounds, up from 3 otherwise her statline is the same.. AND SHE HAS ETERNAL WARRIOR!!! (technically she doesn't have the Shield of Faith special rule any more, and neither do the Geminae, but Celestine gets Adamantium Will to make up for it)
  • The Ardent Blade now has the Armourbane rule, otherwise the same.
  • Celestine gets a once per game Orbital Barrage called The Emperor's Vengeance! Range Unlimited, S8, AP3, Assault 1, Barrage, Large Blast, Orbital.
  • Miraculous Intervention is unchanged from the ebook, other than that it specifies she can use Healing Tears to bring a Geminae back to life on the turn she 'resurrects'
  • Geminae Superia are WS5, BS4, S3, T3, I4, 2W, 2A, Ld10, 3+ Armour
  • Celestine can join units along with her Geminae!!
  • Geminae have Divine Guardian rule. This gives them a 4+ Invuln, and whilst any of them are alive all wounds against Celestine are resolved against the closest Geminae instead!
  • Healing Tears: At the start of each of your turns, set up a single slain Geminae anywhere within 2" of Celestine! Looks like mum isn't the only one who can come back from the dead!

Saintly Blessings: Celestine can give a 12" radius buff to friendly non-vehicle Army of the Imperium units at the start of each of your turns. Each buff can only be used once per game, and affect units based on their Battlefield Role (independent chars get effected as long as they stay in the unit):

• HQ Units: Zealot until the start of the next turn
  • Troops: FNP 6+ until the start of next turn.  If models already have FNP, they get a +1 bonus to FNP instead...
  • Elites: Counter-Attack and Furious Charge until start of next turn
  • Fast Attack: Crusader and Fleet until start of next turn
  • Heavy Support: Relentless until start of next turn
  • Lord of War: It Will Not Die for the rest of the game.

In addition to all that, any army that contains Celestine (or is from a Wrathful Crusade formation or Castallens of the Imperium detachment) lets characters take items from the new Ecclesiarchy Relics list.  Choices include a 35pt Eternal Warrior relic, 15pt S4 AP2 pistol that ignores invulnerable saves, a 35pt relic that gives a 4+ invuln save and stops Deep Strikes within 12" (if they scatter within 12", auto mishap!) and a 30pt Power Sword that on a pass Ld Test becomes S+2, AP2.

Celestine, Inquistor Greyfax and Belisarius Cawl can be included as an HQ choice for any Army of the Imperium Combined Arms or Allied Detachments (specifically), regardless of faction! In addition, Belisarius Cawl can replace any Tech-Priest Dominus in any existing Cult Mechanicus Formation, and Inquisitor Greyfax can replace an Inquisitor in any Inquisitorial Formation.

Links to my other posts in the thread:

Belisarius Cawl rules
Inquisitor Greyfax rules
Formations and Detachments
Relics

Edited by Goonbandito, 11 January 2017 - 04:48 AM.

• Fulkes, Castellan Cato, Immersturm and 1 other like this

Vaughn

Vaughn

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 201 posts
  • Chapter Name: Black Templars and Dark Angels
Celestine rules look sweet!

What are the detachment rules for wrathful crusade and Castellans of the Imperium? And can we have a full list of relics in the book please?

"Trust in the Emperor at the hour of battle.
Trust to him to intercede, and protect his warriors true as they deal death on alien soil.
Turn their seas to red with the blood of their slain.
Crush their hopes, their dreams
And turn their songs into cries of lamentation."
- "Uphold the honour of the Emperor", vow of the Black Templars

Lagrath

Lagrath

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,593 posts

Goon - can any characters take those relics, or only independent characters?  Could the geminae take the relics?

SydonianDragoon404

SydonianDragoon404

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 177 posts

Honestly Celestine isn't that great, I don't know if you guys realize just how easy it is going to be strip 5 wounds from a T3 character, even with a 2+ armor 4+ invuln. Then after she resurrects she has 1 wound left. Honestly I'm not that impressed, especially given that she can't really hurt anything. Her sword is S5 AP3. That's really not that great. 

Okay I just saw the rule about Gemini tanking all the wounds and that they have 2 wounds a piece. So she effectively has 9 wounds unless you insta-gib the gemini. Okay so she might be better than I thought.

Edited by SydonianDragoon404, 11 January 2017 - 02:25 AM.

Brightstar

Brightstar

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 302 posts
  • Chapter Name: Sacred Rose. IVth Legion.

Because I need to be able to draw a line under this so I can finally move on: Can you please tell me if the "Imperial Crusade" Detachment is actually a thing or if it's just someone on the GW web team inventing a different name for the Castellans of the Imperium Detachment?

Edited by Brightstar, 11 January 2017 - 02:35 AM.

SydonianDragoon404

SydonianDragoon404

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 177 posts

Please let us know what the Black Templar formations are! ph34r.png

Edited by SydonianDragoon404, 11 January 2017 - 02:26 AM.

• Frep likes this

Frep

Frep

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 8 posts

Honestly Celestine isn't that great, I don't know if you guys realize just how easy it is going to be strip 5 wounds from a T3 character, even with a 2+ armor 4+ invuln. Then after she resurrects she has 1 wound left. Honestly I'm not that impressed, especially given that she can't really hurt anything. Her sword is S5 AP3. That's really not that great. 

From the look of it, she comes back with full wounds plus you have to kill both her Geminae before you can hit her. So thats 5(9) wounds, Celestine has EW so thats a minimum of 7 wounds she has to take (assuming you ID the two Geminae). The Geminae only have 3+ 4++ saves, but that is still damn good. Between that and her ability to bring back a Geminae a turn, I would say she is crazy tanky.

Odds.043

Odds.043

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 92 posts
Can we get confirmation on the mechanicum formation? how exactly does it work?
  • dogfender likes this

dogfender

dogfender

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,498 posts
  • Chapter Name: Relictors

any chance you can post the new relics for the ad mech and what the formations are?

Edited by WarriorFish, 11 January 2017 - 09:14 AM.
Chat speak corrected

depthcharge12

depthcharge12

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 7,857 posts
  • Chapter Name: XVth Legion, Ist Legion
My lord those relics.

That pistol alone is worth 50+ points. Like AP2 and ignores invulns? Should have used that to annihilate Abaddon back in the cradle man.
Sons of Horus painting log (3000+ points & Horus)

http://www.bolterand...rus-plog-horus/

Scars of Rangdan, Dark Angels Legion:

http://www.bolterand...79#entry4575179

SydonianDragoon404

SydonianDragoon404

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 177 posts

My lord those relics.

That pistol alone is worth 50+ points. Like AP2 and ignores invulns? Should have used that to annihilate Abaddon back in the cradle man.

Can you say, Lord Commissar's wet dream? laugh.png

Edited by SydonianDragoon404, 11 January 2017 - 02:45 AM.

Goonbandito

Goonbandito

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 286 posts
  • Chapter Name: Order of the 3rd Sector Saints

Celestine rules look sweet!

What are the detachment rules for wrathful crusade and Castellans of the Imperium? And can we have a full list of relics in the book please?

Formations look pretty average to me - they need far too many units to be used in any 'normal' sized game.  Could be fun for larger games though.

Triumvirate of the Imperium (Formation)

• Belisarius Cawl, Celestine, Inquisitor Greyfax. 
  • Friendly Army of the Imperium units within 12" of two or more Triumvirate models get Stubborn and auto-pass Pinning tests.  If they are within 12" of all 3 models they get Fearless instead (Geminae don't count as models for this rule. 
  • If one of the Triumvirate is the Warlord, then all 3 of the models get to use their Warlord Trait.

Conclave Acquisitorius (Formation)

• Belisarius Cawl, 1-2 Battle Maniples or 1 War Cohort, 1 Holy Requistioner, 0-1 Cohort Cybernetica, 0-1 Numinous Conclave, 1-2 Imperial Knights or 1 Baronial Court
  • Everything gets Canticles of the Omnissiah
  • Each Character may upgrade one of their weapons (except relics) to have Master-Crafted
  • If the formation has the maximum number of units, everything gets Doctrina Imperitives

Wrathful Crusade (Formation)

• Celestine, Inquisitor Greyfax, 1 Space Marine Captain, 0-1 Sternguard, 2-4 Crusader Squads, 1-2 Assault Squads, 1 Militarum Tempestus Platoon.  All Space Marine must have Black Templar Chapter Tactics
  • Everything gets Crusader
  • If the formation has the max number of units, everyone gets Zealot
  • All units can re-roll failed Charge rolls.  If you roll 10 or more for your charge range, you get Furious Charge.

Grand Convocation Detachment:

• Units can be drawn from Codex Astra Militarum, Cult Mechanicus, Imperial Agents, Imperial Knights or Skitarii.  The available units are restricted to mainly the ones from Codex: Skitarii, Cult Mechanicus and Imperial Knights though.  Enginseers are the only Guard unit you can take.  You also must also include units from at least two different factions.
  • HQ: 2-4, Troops: 4+, Elites: 0-6, Fast Attack: 0-6, Heavy Support: 0-6, LoW: 0-3
  • All Vehicles get It Will Not Die.  If they are within 12" of any HQ from the detachment, they also get Power of the Machine Spirit
  • If the formation hast the max number of units (except troops, since you can take unlimited lol...) then everything gets Canticles of the Omnissiah
  • Warlord can re-roll Warlord Trait

Castellans of the Imperium Detachment

• Units can be drawn from basically any Army of Imperium codex and their supplements.  There's literally big lists of units you can take for each slot, which at a quick glance seems to basically include everything besides unique characters (aside from Black Templar, Adepta Sororitas and Inquisition unique characters though, which can be taken.  Pask and Yarrick too).  Interestingly enough, Codex: Inquisition and Codex: Adepta Sororitas are listed alongside Codex: Imperial Agents as available sources.  That should clear that debate right up.  You also must also include units from at least two different factions. Edit: Blood Angel, Dark Angel, Space Wolves, Grey Knights, Death Watch, Cult Mechanics, Skitarii, Sisters of Silence, Adeptus Custodes and Legion of the Damned are not available in the Castellans of the Imperium Detachment.  I'm pretty most everything else, including Assassins and Cataphractii/Contempors, are though.  Lord of War options are Imperial Knights (specifically the ones from Codex: Imperial Knights) and Baneblade variants.
  • HQ: 2-4, Troops: 4+, Elites: 0-6, Fast Attack: 0-6, Heavy Support: 0-6, LoW: 0-3
  • All units get Hatred.  If you have the max number of units, except troops, everyone gets Zealot
  • Each time a Troops Choice is destroyed, roll a d6.  On a 5+ an identical unit immediately goes into Ongoing Reserve, and counts as a unit from this detachment (so it can potentially be recycled again later)
  • Warlord can re-roll Warlord Trait

Edit: Blood Angel, Dark Angel, Space Wolves, Grey Knights, Death Watch, Cult Mechanicus, Skitarii, Sisters of Silence, Adeptus Custodes and Legion of the Damned are not available in the Castellans of the Imperium Detachment.  Didn't notice that...  I'm pretty most everything else, including Assassins and Cataphractii/Contempors, are though.  Lord of War options are Imperial Knights (specifically the ones from Codex: Imperial Knights) and Baneblade variants.

Edited by Goonbandito, 11 January 2017 - 05:00 AM.

• dogfender, fedratsailor, Fulkes and 3 others like this

MrFlutterPie

MrFlutterPie

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 226 posts

Is there any difference between the new 35pts EW relic vs the current Mantle or did GW goof?

Thanks for giving us in depth review Goonbiggrin.png

#CelestineReborn2017

tvih

tvih

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,563 posts
  • Chapter Name: Black Templars / Crimson Fists
Castellans seems good. Not that wrathful is exactly bad, just rather high HQ points at 3 required characters.

Geminae indeed being characters sure makes it hard to challenge Celestine. I wondered before if this will be the case, and appears it indeed is.

Vaughn

Vaughn

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 201 posts
  • Chapter Name: Black Templars and Dark Angels

Thanks for the formation's review, Goon. Wrathful Crusade detachment looks like it could be fun, but considering that pretty much everything already would have Crusader, that kinda makes that part of it useless. Good to know that the ecclesiarchial relics are available to Templar characters as well, but kinda bummed there arent any utility ones outside the rosarius 

"Trust in the Emperor at the hour of battle.
Trust to him to intercede, and protect his warriors true as they deal death on alien soil.
Turn their seas to red with the blood of their slain.
Crush their hopes, their dreams
And turn their songs into cries of lamentation."
- "Uphold the honour of the Emperor", vow of the Black Templars

SydonianDragoon404

SydonianDragoon404

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 177 posts

Now, when you say max units, do you mean that all units have the max number of models as well? Or can we min all of those squads?

If we don't need max models, then-

Wrathful Crusade is 1040 points without upgrades of any kind to give everyone Zealot, Re-roll charge, and Furious Charge on a 10+. Probably not playable at 1500 points IMO. Maybe just barely if you don't want to take transports on your crusader squads.

Getting the Zealot bonus for Castellans of the Imperium is almost not even worth it given that you get Hatred anyway. So taking 4 troops and 2 HQ basically gives you Hatred, re-roll warlord trait, and the 5+ recycle. I don't know if that's worth it. 

Edited by SydonianDragoon404, 11 January 2017 - 03:07 AM.

Servant of Dante

Servant of Dante

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,605 posts
  • Chapter Name: Order of the Valorous Heart

Is there any difference between the new 35pts EW relic vs the current Mantle or did GW goof?

Well, I like that the Mantle of Ophelia is still relevant. These new relics can be taken by any army that includes Celestine, and the Mantle is Sisters only.\

Thanks for the information Goon! Blessing of the Emperor be upon you :P

Edited by Servant of Dante, 11 January 2017 - 03:00 AM.

Bloodgrin

Bloodgrin

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 475 posts

Okay I just saw the rule about Gemini tanking all the wounds and that they have 2 wounds a piece. So she effectively has 9 wounds unless you insta-gib the gemini. Okay so she might be better than I thought.

Do you know what Eternal warrior does?

Lagrath

Lagrath

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,593 posts

Castellans of the Imperium Detachment

• Each time a Troops Choice is destroyed, roll a d6.  On a 5+ an identical unit immediately goes into Ongoing Reserve, and counts as a unit from this detachment (so it can potentially be recycled again later)

What's the exact wording?  Would SMs with dedicated drop pod come back with the drop pod once both are destroyed?

MrFlutterPie

MrFlutterPie

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 226 posts

Well, I like that the Mantle of Ophelia is still relevant. These new relics can be taken by any army that includes Celestine, and the Mantle is Sisters only.\

Thanks for the information Goon! Blessing of the Emperor be upon you tongue.png

Ahh I missed the part that any IOM army can take them if Celestine is included. 

#CelestineReborn2017

duz_

duz_

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,321 posts
Well looks like I will not only be keeping all the new models, but building and painting them too!

That last formation is a great way to bring guard back onto the table. Chimera vet spam!

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (2)