Head Hunters and Banestrike, what is Forge World thinking?

TheAlephNull

Or as Seekers.

Headhunters are in a weird spot, and need some changes. Hopefully FW will come back around and fix them at some point.

Is it true that FW is going to update some specific units/charcaters? I vaguely remember someone saying that on this forum.

I also recall someone quoting Alan Blight saying that AL players fail to realize how headhunters are good (or will be). Still hurts.

Aye I've seen that quote too... :/

Thing is Alan Blight used to play Alpha Legion, but seems to have switched to mechanicum. Maybe there is a hint there? ;)

Headhunters have a strange history:

• First they had a type (confirmed by LG) that they could only take combi-bolters and not combi-weapons. This made their inbuilt BS5 and PE kinda pointless.
  • Then some genius decided to models them that way, in an upgrade pack - Instead of a full model. (I cant actually think of a legion special that has had just an upgrade pack since the headhunters.)
  • Then in the new red book they got gimped with the removal of PE. But gained combi weapons. Which means no one in their right might would ever run them with those new bolter models. Also they now need Alpharius on the table to actually work (tbh Alpha Legion almost always needs him).
  • Meanwhile, the real issue they have, which is their schizophrenic ruleset remains. Do they shoot? Do they charge? They can't do either very well and they cost a boatload.
  • Oh and their RoW is a joke. Vehicles autopass Leadership checks, so the special rules of the rite simpoly dont apply.

So yeah, just use the all-mighty vets, or the updated seekers. Or steal some mor deythan, who have also lost their lustre a bit

Funny thing is that 10 sniper vets with venom spheres and master of signals for BS5 are still cheaper than 10 headhunters. By 20 points but still.

Headhunters would be nice if they were super seekers Just like in fluff. They should be HQ/characters hunters from afar, now they struggle to kill powered armoured chaff at extremely close range.

Or as Seekers.

Headhunters are in a weird spot, and need some changes. Hopefully FW will come back around and fix them at some point.

Is it true that FW is going to update some specific units/charcaters? I vaguely remember someone saying that on this forum.

I also recall someone quoting Alan Blight saying that AL players fail to realize how headhunters are good (or will be). Still hurts.

Someone did say somewhere (might have been Penddraig from Heresy30k, as he tends to be the best source for these kinds of things) that after the release of the army list FW were looking at eventually FAQ'ing the Legions book, to give the special units roles of their own as Veterans being so good now kind of kill off many of them. Some are just atrocious, just look at Ravagers, Headhunters etc - they badly need changes.

As for AB, yeah I did see that being posted somewhere. But somebody even said that they were never meant to have combi-weapons, and then they immediately got combi-weapons in the next red book, so who knows. :P I have faith in Lord Bligh. They'll get good eventually - the wait for my beloved Justaerin was worth it. Fingers crossed for a 2017 FAQ. A comprehensive one.

They got hit with some really wierd rules. Personally I think vets 2.0 was a mistake. To get cheaper and better to that extent is insane. By extention that hit HH bad. They have a lot of kit and rules inflating their price for poor returns. I wouldn't mind if an AL opponent had some reasonable homebrew fix dor them. As-is its pretty sad to see them.

Maybe like precision shots on a 5+, reroll successful LoS or a minus to them. Banestrike AP3 on a 5+. A discount to the 135 range to be like mor deythan and seekers when naked, with room for upgrades. Maybe make their kit upgrades to keep the base cost down. Maybe even relentless. Something to pull such a cool fluffy unit from the depth of crunch mediocrity

I hope so, it just worries me that they went ahead and updated them recently in the new red book and didn't address the issue at all. Simply swapped preffered enemy for percision shots.

Actually they were given precision shot and implacable advance by the FAQ, and then lost the latter in the update. So they were actually nerfed, right when I started building a cheapish squad with HB to go with Exodus to give him PE and put out some anti infantry fire.

0% chance Omegon gets a separate model, and probably a 0% chance he gets his own rules too.

No idea re: the HQ though. Maybe they could change Autilon Skorr slightly (in Book 6 he leads a Headhunter Leviathal force behind enemy lines) to have some HH specific buffs, or maybe they could just change the HH Leviathal Rite of War completely to make it useful. :P

• 1 month later...

The only feasible use I can see for Banestrike ammo I can see is on Vets with Machine Killers or Weaponmasters. It would let you retain some of the ranged antipersonnel ability of the Marksmen vets while being filling another role.

For example, a Machine Killer vet squad is capable of killing up to AV12 with their bolters/heavy bolters from 24-36 inches away. You can kill a Rhino,  then Banestrike the Marines that were inside it next turn.

Archived