Jam's Guard WIP thread

Jam Master Flex

Hi all,

New forum member and hoping for some guidance.

I have recently returned to the hobby having not done anything seriously since 1998/1999

I did briefly buy some Imperial Guard units a few years back but never got further than glueing a few units together and then life got in the way.

I'm wanting to know what sort of army to put together based on what I've recently bought, what I have and what I want to get.

At the moment I have the following kits:

2 x Start Collecting! Militarum Tempestus sets

2 x Cadian Shock Troop squads

3 x Leman Russ from the late 90's

I'm thinking of also getting an Imperial Knight and want to know if it's possible to put together a decent outfit with what I have?

I am aware I need to get a Codex for a start!

Many thanks in advance

The guard has many different play styles so it really depends on how you want to play. playing with lots of infantry, lots of tanks, a mixture of both or "air cavalry" are the main ways to play guard.

Based on what you have, if you get a couple of chimeras for the infantry you'd be on your way to a decent mech list. An imperial knight would be useful but not something you'll need imo. Personally I rarely run my knight mainly because guard are so good at shooting they can pretty much pour out the firepower of the knight. It also comes down to the meta where you play, if they are competive you won't have so much fun playing a fluffy list, for example.

Hope this gives some insight

I'm thinking mainly mechanised so may look into getting a pair of Chimeras.

I think I can use the taurux with the scions as fast attack but not 100% certain?

May just get a Knight for the sake of it as they look like a bit of fun.

I think I have a Pask laying around somewhere too.

Will have some pics up shortly!

Welcome to the B&C and back to the hobby :thumbsup: Looks like you have the starts of an elite army here, using the Guardsmen as Vets and adding some Stormies (especially as Hellrain formations). As mentioned some Chimeras always go a long way on Vets, and Wyverns are excellent horde control that will do well for you.

Looking forward to seeing your pictures, someone knows how to appease the commissariat :laugh.::wink:

Taurox's are not fast attack for IG (none of our ground transports are) since the codex is still technically 6th edition. But they are DT's for scions.

A good pick up would be a pair or two of Wyverns.

On this note, I'd personally recommend getting the Militarum Tempestus codex and bringing the Scions out of that book instead of the Guard 'dex, that way they are objective secured troops AND you can buy Taurox Primes as dedicated transports which in my opinion are better than the Taurox.

On this note, I'd personally recommend getting the Militarum Tempestus codex and bringing the Scions out of that book instead of the Guard 'dex, that way they are objective secured troops AND you can buy Taurox Primes as dedicated transports which in my opinion are better than the Taurox.

I agree.

I would suggest just magnitizing the Taurox's IMO as theyre nice for melta vets etc since the side doors do give you more flexavity in disimbarking troops.

Thanks for all the replies. I'm going to order the sciona codex and see where to go from there.

I'm thinking ill use the Taurux as dedicated transports for my scions, chimeras for my veterans and then see where to go from there.

Does anyone have a link for the hellrain formations?

Thanks for all the input ill get some pics up next and welcome more input too!

It should be in the box the scions came with but if you don't have it the rules can be found on this page - http://bloodofkittens.com/militarum-tempestus/

I never took a careful look at that formation before, but it looks pretty darn good! The ability to recycle Scions certainly counteracts their glass hammerness, especially in "meltacide" squads. Is there any way to get the rules for this formation without buying "Start Collecting!: Militarum Tempestus?" I already own all the Scions I could reasonably use between my old astronaut stormies (15), my Kasrkin (25), and Scions (25).

Cue WarriorFish telling me there's no such thing as too many Scions and I should just man up and buy the Start Collecting! set ... :unsure.:

The Start Collecting box is a nice saving, I got it too ;) Also conveniently comes with the Hellrain formation... :P

Ok so looking at the hellrain formation it says there are no restrictions.

Does this mean I can have allies to fit in with an army list? (For fun not competitive)

Looking at it I would assume it would make my commissar and the command squad my HQ choices, with the scions and the Taurux as a troop choice?

This is where moving from 3rd edition to 7th is confusing!

Also as mentioned here is where I am so far:

http://i.imgur.com/pwyP06W.jpg

That's an old Leman Russ I had, and a cadian shock squad - basically re-learning how to paint again so I don't mess up my Scions when it comes to them.

http://i.imgur.com/kKGOYG1.jpg

Working on my highlights with these 5 grunts, still need to add the armour, flesh and gun highlights.

Unfortunately family has been in the way this christmas but I fully intend to have these 5 done at some point today.

So far my scions are undercoated and I'm waiting on my second Start Collecting! Box to arrive later this week.

The Hellrain formation can be added to a list as its own independent entity, so you can take your normal CAD and add a Hellrain section of Stormies (or more!) :) Looks to me that you don't need to do much relearning, the colours on the models are good :tu: GW's range of washes are really handy especially for models with definition like Guard so it'll be worth looking into them to see how you can speed the process up.

Great job of shading on those troopers!

Thank you!

Unfortunately I'm ham fisted so I have to brace my hands on the table so detailed painting is something that takes me a long time.

Ive just finished the green highlights so onto runefang steel and hopefully some pictures.

Thanks again you guys have been fantastic so far :)

Ok so painting faces sucks!Followed a painting guide and even using a Winsor & Newton series 7 000 I still couldn't get it right.

Other than that I'm happy with how these guardsmen have turned out. Still need to base them as I can't find my glue but will get on with that.

http://i.imgur.com/i1I6Kth.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/1uzn5CI.jpg

Now to build my Taurux and call it a day!

Thanks gents!

Well I just remembered another box I had hidden in the loft...containing another 35 guardsmen.

So what I'be decided to do is practice on the unused beret heads from my scions while on the sprue and then I'll let you know how I get on.

I'm going to GW this week so there will be more to follow so I think I'll treat this as a WIP thread too!

So feel free to follow on me making a mess of my models haha.

So cracking on with face practice today:

http://i.imgur.com/b6891lt.jpg

My plan is if they end up looking good im going to pull the heads off some of my guardsmen like a Troll and stick them on to use as veterans.

Also on my old kasakrin models I've used the spare Scion backpacks to replace my missing ones, had to do a bit of chopping and filing but I'm confident they'll look alright when painted.

Off I go!

EDIT:

Finished some of my beret models - this is my first time ever painting faces so I'm aware I ain't winning any tournaments:

http://i.imgur.com/sxWuW1T.jpg

I started with:

2 watery layers of Cadian Fleshtone

1 wash of Reikland Fleshshade

Then

Everything again in Cadian avoiding the recesses

Then a thin layer of 50:50 Cadian Fleshtone and Kislev Flesh

And then just did the nose, brow and cheekbones with pure Kislev Flesh.

Archived