Maybe not wild, but definitely untamed speculation on my part:
Let me reiterate to be crystal clear: this is speculation and postulating on my part, nothing more, with no hidden leaks or rumors to go off of.
- Gathering Storm: Fall of Cadia--despite focusing on Cadia itself--will have minimal things for Guard players to look forward to. Expect lots of repackaging of old formations designed to clear shelves of old kits. It will focus on Black Templar gloryboys and Sisters of battle. Guard will be the red shirts (on their own home turf...)
- Cadia-pattern equipment goes away as the "standard" IG gear due to Cadia "falling" (whatever that means). This is their chance to clean house, both in terms of fluff and physical inventory on the the shelf.
- No Flyers for IG at all: they get removed and made into a seperate faction: "Imperial Navy"/Adeptus Aeronautica (See recent Codex: Imperial Agents)
- ...Imperial Navy will get Formations with rules that explicitly allow units from other Imperial Factions to use them as psuedo-Dedicated Transports
- Techpriest Enginseers removed from Codex (See recent Codex: Imperial Agents)
- Ministorum Priests removed from Codex (See recent Codex: Imperial Agents)
- Primaris Psykers removed from Codex (See recent Codex: Imperial Agents)
- Regimental Advisors removed from Codex (Astropaths, Master of the Fleet, Master of Ordnance; (See recent Codex: Imperial Agents)
Going with #1 above, I am guessing that a Solar Auxilia* style force in terms of aesthetics steps in to help bury the "Imperial Guard" and cement a new, much more unique and copyright-able "Astra Militarum."
If my guesses for the above prove true, what does that leave IG? Commissars and Tanks, pretty much.
Who has been left out the most with the glut of new Codices recently? Horde armies: IG/AM, Orkz, and Tyranids. To coincide with rumors of 8th Edition giving a revamp to the game, I expect to see all horde armies reworked so that units can be buffed up to need less models. For example, there was a rumor that came out a year ago (looking for the link) that mentioned they were playtesting new rules for 'Nids, where Synapse creatures gave Tyranid units around them Fearless, FNP, and other buffs. Rather than being a requirement for the force to be able to even stand up straight, Synapse creatures could become super-buffers. I have a sneaky feeling that Astra Militarum will see something similar, where the basic guardsman profile remains the same (crappy) unit, but Commissars, Command Squads, et al.... buff them up to be able to hold their own against the ubiquitous Space Marines and so forth.
The alternative would be for GW to give price support to buying literally hundreds of models for IG/AM, Orkz, and 'Nids....something that have yet to show even the remotest hint towards (Cadian Shock Troops are $29.00 USD for ten models.....and they want us to use Decurions that need one-hundred-and-fifty models) doing. My guess is they will go the opposite direction and find ways to buff up armies with lower model count instead.
I also have a funny feeling that Vox's will become a signature item of wargear, even more than they are now. Rather than "just" re-rolling failed Orders, they will extend the range of Orders and allow re-rolls to scatter and whatnot.
More to come....
Edited by Indefragable, 27 December 2016 - 06:35 PM.