Predictions for 2017 Astra Militarum

Indefragable

Borderline wishlisting.....

Hidden Content

Regimental Command Squad:

upgrade to a CCS (same way SM Captain can be upgraded to Chapter Master), allows you to add +5 veterans and way more wargear options. Unique Regimental Command-only Orders

Infantry Platoon:

Format changes so that any units from the same platoon that are within Vox range of the PCS receive the same buffs as the PCS. I.e. if a Commissar is attached to the PCS, all units from the Platoon receive Stubborn. 

PCS can add additional Guardsmen at normal cost (one of the problems with Command Squads in guard armies is how brittle they are....having more meatshields is a simple fix). 

Heavy Weapons Squads and Special Weapons Squads are combined into one unit type, where the minimum is 6x Guardsmen (who cost the same as Infantry Guardsmen instead of the 7.5pt tax per model) who must take either 3x Special Weapons, 3x Heavy Weapons, 3x Melee weapons, or any combination of those + a Vox or Vox Relay or take one of the following Doctrines

Scouts Confers Scout, Infiltrate

Sappers: Confers a single Demolition Charge and Melta bombs. In addition, all friendly units within 6" of a unit with this special rule may re-roll all rolls for Moving Through Cover or failed Terrain tests. In addition, friendly units within 6" do not suffer the penalties to charge distance or initiative when charging through cover. 

Bawlers: +1WS and +1A. Must be equipped with Laspistol/chainsword and each model may upgrade to special pistols and/or melee weapons

Trenchfighters: re-roll all failed armor or cover saves of 1 while in Cover. Enemy template weapons are -1S when used against models with this rule. 

Rangers: confers Move Through Cover and Fleet. 

Squadrons:

Take the Tank Commander idea and apply it to almost every squadron type, like Marshal Rohr says above. So you can have a Hellhound Commander, an Ordnance Commander, etc... Considering how much of the IG's identity and effectiveness is tied up in Orders, its a shame more more units can't make use of them. They're all infantry-focused except 3 for Leman Russes. Speaking of Orders.....

Orders:

These could use an overhaul. Orders that can be used in different phases and fleshed out more. Things like "Fix Bayonets!" (Counter-Attack/Rage + Fleet). See "Militarum Auxilia" below for unit-specific Orders

Special Rules:

Heavy Weapons Team: Infantry models with heavy weapons are considered T5 2W models until they move for any reason (Movement phase, falling back, Charging) in which case they revert to their base profile. If the models go a complete Turn (both controlling and opposing player's) without moving for any reason, then they regain their T5 status with any remaining wounds intact. 

Formations:

Miltarum Auxilia Platoon:

1 Platoon Command Squad or Commissar

0-3 Additional Commissars

0-3 Ministorum Priests (if they stay in the Codex)

Must take 3 units in any combination of the following:

• Ogryns
  • Bullgryns
  • Ratlings
  • Rough Riders
  • Conscripts

May include up to 2 more of the above units in any combination

The Command Squad, Commissars, and Ministorum Priests may be upgraded with war steeds turning their unit type into Cavalry.

The Command Squad, Commissars, and Ministorum Priests take Tauroxes as Dedicated Transports. 

Special Rules:

Unit-specific Orders:

• "Ogryn, Smash!" Ogryns and Bullgryns gain the "Smash" special rule. 
  • "It's just a flesh wound" Ogryns and Bullgryns gain Feel No Pain
  • "Money says you're out of range" Ratlings gain 12" to the range of their sniper rifles. 
  • "First one to bag a commander gets to go home!" Ratlings may Run, Shoot, and then Run again or Shoot, Run, than Shoot again in their Shooting phase. 
  • "Into the Jaws of Death!" Rough Riders immediately make a Run move with +2D6" and may Charge in the following turn, though that is normally not allowed. In addition, the die for Charge range may be re-rolled. 
  • "Ride them down!" Rough Riders gain Furious Charge and Rage for the following Turn they charge into combat. In addition, they add +1 to their Initiative and Leadership only for the purposes of determining Combat Resolution and Sweeping Advances results. 
  • "I find your motivation lacking!" A Commissar attached to a unit of Conscripts may perform a voluntary Summary Execution on the controlling players Turn. Once this is resolved, the Conscripts gain  Move Through Cover, +1A, and may Run and Charge in the same Turn until the start of the controlling players next turn. 
  • "Not one step back!" Conscripts may not move, but gain Counter Attack, Stubborn, and Objective Secured until the start of the controlling player's next Turn. In addition, they may fire Overwatch at full ballistic skill (hah!). If they already have any of the preceding special rules from other sources, they instead gain +1Ld in its place. 

...there I go again....another wishlist tangent...

- some sort of plastic upgrade sprue for othe regiments?

- veteran upgrade for russes

- commander IC (who then can be upgraded to have the command squad)

- completely revamped rough riders (turn them into guard versions of SM bikes)

- different orders for the main regiments (or at least some new orders)

- more focus on pskers

- guard specific psychic tree

- guard specific detachmemt

In terms of kits....

As plenty of others have mentioned, I really hope they roll a Vendetta upgrade kit into the Valkryie ala the Storm Talon/Stormhawk kit. Makes too much sense not to.

I would love to see an open-topped, dirt-cheap version of the Taurox. like 25-30pts, minimal rules. IG really hurts for mobility and cheap, expendable, AV10-all around trucks seem like a very guard-like Fix. You can have OBSEC SWS's race around the board, or circle the wagons and bring your Aegis with you. Even just surviving an extra round of enemy shooting, or coralling where enemy melee units can go would work wonders for your average IG force. Something a Techpriest can ride-in and repair nearby vehicles out of? Again, should be a fairly easy add-in to the existing Taurox kits. I may actually get one if they did that (seriously, does anyone actually like Tauroxes, either model or rules-wise?)

Interceptor. For a signature gun-line type army, IG get absolutely murderized by Drop Pods and similar alpha strikes. Our only defenses (outside of ForgeWorld) are extra layers of bubblewrap and to borrow Coteaz from the Inquisition. Upgrades to Hydras or or something. Or a HWT-sized piece of kit--"Sonus warning sensor" or something--that gives a unit(s) nearby interceptor. 

An AA upgrade for Manticores that lets them exchange Storm Eagle missiles for Skyfire missiles (they could replace each missile, up to all 4, so you could have a split however you want). It would be kind of cool to have Skyfire blasts, but that's a different story. Basically things that are like D6 S6 AP5 Shred (almost like anti-air Wyverns) to represent the flakk guns of yesteryear that would slowly shred planes to bits with all the bits of shrapnel cutting up rudders and whatnot. 

...I like the taurox...

But anyway, they could have an open topped variation without even changing the kit.  It comes with two little bars that sit where the rear section of the roof goes and basically make it so you can't fit the roof onto it.  A cheap av10 open topped truck with maybe a storm bolter or heavy stubber would be pretty cool.  I really hope they make the taurox into a command vehicle... not that it will help my scions, I really doubt they will ever update that codex.

...I like the taurox...

But anyway, they could have an open topped variation without even changing the kit.  It comes with two little bars that sit where the rear section of the roof goes and basically make it so you can't fit the roof onto it.  A cheap av10 open topped truck with maybe a storm bolter or heavy stubber would be pretty cool.  I really hope they make the taurox into a command vehicle... not that it will help my scions, I really doubt they will ever update that codex.

All the better. Just make rules for it then. Taurox = Open Topped, Tarox Plus = Closed Top, Taurox Prime = Scion version. Boom. 

It would be great to see the Taurox as the light, fast, cheap transport and the Chimera buffed (maybe 12/11/10) up or something so that it's reputation as "the best" metal bawks is better deserved. I find them overwhelming, TBH. AV12 is ok, especially when it's just in front, and when you pay for guns that are ok and only BS3....all for almost twice the cost of a Rhino.....it wears off a bit on me. 

Less Taurox, more Ragnarok.

http://pre15.deviantart.net/3dac/th/pre/f/2012/357/5/7/ragnarok_clay_render_by_serpentthegreen-d5ox924.jpg

That thing is so consummately un-aerodynamic it absolutely demands to ignore all effects of difficult/dangerous terrain. Because that's how 40k works. 

In terms of kits....

As plenty of others have mentioned, I really hope they roll a Vendetta upgrade kit into the Valkryie ala the Storm Talon/Stormhawk kit. Makes too much sense not to.

I would love to see an open-topped, dirt-cheap version of the Taurox. like 25-30pts, minimal rules. IG really hurts for mobility and cheap, expendable, AV10-all around trucks seem like a very guard-like Fix. You can have OBSEC SWS's race around the board, or circle the wagons and bring your Aegis with you. Even just surviving an extra round of enemy shooting, or coralling where enemy melee units can go would work wonders for your average IG force. Something a Techpriest can ride-in and repair nearby vehicles out of? Again, should be a fairly easy add-in to the existing Taurox kits. I may actually get one if they did that (seriously, does anyone actually like Tauroxes, either model or rules-wise?)

Interceptor. For a signature gun-line type army, IG get absolutely murderized by Drop Pods and similar alpha strikes. Our only defenses (outside of ForgeWorld) are extra layers of bubblewrap and to borrow Coteaz from the Inquisition. Upgrades to Hydras or or something. Or a HWT-sized piece of kit--"Sonus warning sensor" or something--that gives a unit(s) nearby interceptor. 

An AA upgrade for Manticores that lets them exchange Storm Eagle missiles for Skyfire missiles (they could replace each missile, up to all 4, so you could have a split however you want). It would be kind of cool to have Skyfire blasts, but that's a different story. Basically things that are like D6 S6 AP5 Shred (almost like anti-air Wyverns) to represent the flakk guns of yesteryear that would slowly shred planes to bits with all the bits of shrapnel cutting up rudders and whatnot. 

You can already get AA manticore rockets, it is in imperial armour 1 vol. 2. Although this is out of print as of 3 weeks ago.......

You can already get AA manticore rockets, it is in imperial armour 1 vol. 2. Although this is out of print as of 3 weeks ago.......

On that note it'd be great for them to move some FW stuff into the main book. Beast Hunter shells? YES PLEASE.

I don't see us loosing the stuff from C:IA. The book was little more than a pre-holiday season cash grab on GW's part and will probably be quickly forgotten.

As for what I'd like to see:

-Rough Riders with options (so that my shotgun packing RR are street legal). Sadly my fear is that they will go the way of Penal Squads.

-Penal squads.

-weapon options on conscripts lack back in 4th.

-Redone catachans and plastic Tallarans.

-Field artillery.

I'm not asking for miracles.

DUAL KITS FOR DAYS

- Veterans/Command Squad - 5 man

- Basilisk/not-a-basilisk/perhaps-third-unbasilisk

- Rough Riders (siege lance)/ Outriders (power weapons) poor man's Sentinels

- Chimera/Salamander box...bit of a stretch.

and maybe...if we all hope really hard, a plastic box for Catachans, Steel Legion, Vostroyan and Mordian. Each box has 1 pair of kneeling legs and a heavy weapon or two to make a team. Cadians can buy whole weapon team squads but the rest have to make them by buying more boxes.

On that note it'd be great for them to move some FW stuff into the main book. Beast Hunter shells? YES PLEASE.

yes! i would love all the tanks and stuff from imperial armour in fall of cadia, beast hunter shells are a common inclusion in my lists 

• 2 months later...

I don't remember seeing a rumour with a more specific date for Guard, but then it would be a while ago and of little strength. There has been nothing new but now Gathering Storm is done perhaps there is room to go back to updating armies proper, but it depends what GW has on the books. Maybe they want to launch the rumoured 8th Ed before any codex released for example?

Hopefully were not a carry over codex again in 8th. ;)

I haven't heard of any codex rumours in a while. Not even to accompany in 8th ed. Which by all accounts can be some where between early June to late July.

Ig needs a new dex badly. I've been thumbing through the current version and... well it's hard to read honestly. I find the new layout from the more recent books easier to read, but that's probably more familiarity then anything else. No ideas on effectiveness though, still planning purchases

With the Space Marine 2.0 news I'm seriously getting concerned we're going to share the same fate as the Not-Empire do in AoS now. Yes they exist in lore, yes you can play them, but they don't receive new updates both in terms of models and rules and only serve as something for the Sigmarines to save. Ordinarily I'd tell myself I'm just being cynical, but with the total and utter lack of new models in Fall of CADIA and zero Imperial Guard characters or references after Book I... ehhhh.

I can't image the Guard getting abandoned. They are crucial for the narrative. The Guard form the majority of the Imperial fighting forces. Every crusade, campaign, Xenos or Chaos invasion, the Guard will hold the line, until the Space Marines or whomever come in to save the day. I think part of the reason for blowing up Cadia was to make room for a new generation of Guard. Maybe it's wishful thinking, but I strongly believe we will see a renewed Guard some time after 8th hits.

I can't image the Guard getting abandoned. They are crucial for the narrative. The Guard form the majority of the Imperial fighting forces. Every crusade, campaign, Xenos or Chaos invasion, the Guard will hold the line, until the Space Marines or whomever come in to save the day. I think part of the reason for blowing up Cadia was to make room for a new generation of Guard. Maybe it's wishful thinking, but I strongly believe we will see a renewed Guard some time after 8th hits.

Thematically this is true, but GW has gone out of their way to exclude the Guard and references to them in almost all of their recent publications. Guard had a brief moment "in the sun" in the Damocles Gulf campaign book (though mostly just getting slaughtered and allowing the Raven Guard, Assassins and Farsight get more "screen time"), but otherwise haven't even copped a mention. 

Fall of Cadia doesn't even give the Guard much screen time - the focus is the SoB, Black Templars, Cawl and his mechanicus friends and so on. 

If any faction is going to get "empire'd" with a new release, I suspect it will be Guard - and I doubt it's even a financially made decision - Guard players are common, have to spend a fortune to build an army and the profitability of alternate ranges is clear as day - the Death Korps kept the lights on at FW for a long time, nevermind all the 3rd party companies GW has to know exist which solely produce alternate IG models. I just think GW doesn't have much interest in supporting a basic human infantry style range in any of their systems - control of their brand dominates their thought process, and it's exceptionally difficult to trademark historically-inspired SF human soldiers. 

So, no, I don't think we'll be squatted, but "empire'd" where we still exist, will get the occasional reference, but no new models, rules or content aside from the bare minimum needed to support whatever revamp GW has in mind with 8th. 

So is it then worth to start AM? If GW is planing to put us way back in the field with little new support (or a total new range where much change), should  I (and several other new players) really invest in a AM army based on Cadians and corrent miniatures? 

So is it then worth to start AM? If GW is planing to put us way back in the field with little new support (or a total new range where much change), should I (and several other new players) really invest in a AM army based on Cadians and corrent miniatures?

I've only just got back into the Game and I'm not bothered too much if they make Guard too uncompetitive.

I like the Guard because of their aesthetics and what they represent in the fluff, the mortal and weak human fighting against seemingly unstoppable odds tooth and nail in every battle.

Just comes across as really cool to me. You should collect and paint what you enjoy :)

Archived