Predictions for 2017 Astra Militarum

Indefragable

If they do make a new plastic line, it probably won't have that real world look. I'd expect something more specific 40k-ish.

That is the more likely course.

They will probably look like the Tempestus Scions.

Hopes for Rules changes:

Orders go off auto within 12" or with vox (otherwise too far away to issue)

PCS, CCS can blob with ANY platoon squads

Can order from/to inside chimera/taurox

Dedicated transports count as part of unit (fire/move/ECT with orders)

World's without number: can elect to swap transport versions with any version in current IOM codex (must pay the price from that codex)

Weight of fire: any model/ unit hit with lasguns suffers the following penalties for the rest of the turn (once wounds are scored):

Hit by 15 shots - minus 1 AC (including invulnerable)

Hit by 20 shots - minus 1 T

Hit by 30 shots - no cover saves of any kind

Russes gain back lumbering and split fire on main gun (sponsons shoot before ordinance, or snap fire). Squad Russes must target same unit with main guns (unless split fire order)

HW teams get t5

Armory:

2 points: flamer, sniper, bolter, lascarbine

5 points: melta, plasma, HBolter, GLauncher, sbolter, HS lasgun, mortar

10 points: autocannon, Mlauncher (w/skyfire rounds), power weapon, plasma pistol, hflamer, HS volley

15 points: lascannon, power fist, melta bomb

Following count as heavy: HBolter, mortar, autocannon, mlauncher, lascannon, HS volley

Lascarbine: S3 AP5, assault 2 18"

HS Lasgun: S4 AP3, rapid fire, 24"

HS volley: S5 AP3, Salvo 2/4, 24"

Mortar is now heavy 2

Vehicle upgrades stay the same plus:

10 points: veteran crew (+ 1 bs)

15 points Bird hunters (can elect to skyfire all weapons for a turn), tank hunter (2 dice for pen or damage) or monster hunter (wounds do D3 on MC)

HQ

60 CCS base - medic, vox, & 4 vets

commander always has carapace

lasguns, pistols, and CCW all around

5 points for banner (stubborn within 12")

Upgrades: 10 pts for carapace, 10 for cammo cloaks, all can take from list

All officers are 15 points

Commissars, priest get a 5 point reduction

Primaris is now 40 points

30 points for techpriest AND one servitor (upgrades stay the same for servitors)

20 Tank commander stays same, can order up to 2 tank units to gain split fire, twin linked, bird/tank/monster hunter

OR

coordinate fire (give BS to all tanks within 12" for the turn)

30 tank commissar , 3 orders, 5 BS, same as above

Psykers are 10 points, can't take gear

Troops:

30 PCS, commander 4 guardsmen, vox

Upgrades: 10 pts for carapace, 10 for cammo cloaks, all can take from list

Can take Chimera, taurox, valkerie

50 infantry squad, lasguns

HS Lasgun, Heavy bolter, vox, frag grenades

Sergeant can take any non heavy from armory

Upgrades: HS Lasgun and/or HBolter to any other 5 point from list free, any from 10 point for 5

5 points for Krak grenades

Can take Chimera, valkerie

55 infantry combat squad, lascarbines, laspistols, CCW

2 Flamer, heavy flamer

Flamers can swap for non heavies from list

5 points for Krak grenades

Can take Taurox, valkerie

50 Heavy weapon squad, 3 heavy bolters/mortars

Upgrade to AC, ML for 5 points, LC for 10

40 special weapon squad Sergeant and 5 guardsmen with HS lasguns

Sergeant and 2 others can take any non heavy in armory as an upgrade

Can take valkerie

Conscripts stay the same

60 Veterans take either lasguns or lascarbines.

CCW, laspistols, frag and Krak grenades

Either 3 hotshot lasguns, 3 heavy flamers

All 3 can swap for any weapon in the armory (heavy weapons are held alone)

Sergeant can swap for any non heavy

Grenadiers and sentries stay the same, demo is 20 points

Can take chimera, Taurox or valkerie

Transports:

55 chimera multilaser and HBolter

12/11/10

Can swap either for HBolter, hflamer

Can take Autocannon, TL HBolter for 5 points

40 Taurox same as before

100 Valkerie transport

Lascannon for 5, rocket pods for 5, bolters for 10

Eletes:

100 Ogryns: add fnp 5+, 30 per model

Ripper gun: S5 AP5 18" assault 3 (can be used in assault)

Can take chimera

115 Bullgryns: add fnp 5+, 35 per model,can ADD mail and shield for 15

Can add Chimera

50 Wyrdvanes: 10 per extra, power level 2 if 10 models

Ratlings: change to move-fire-move, can squad up or start game attached to units (1 per)

Tempests platoon removed (have their own army)

30 Scout sentinel, multilaser

Same upgrades,

5 points swap for HS Volleygun

10 points, add power claw

35 armored sentinel (see above)

50 Armored Scout Cavalry

(Rough riders on cav/bikes/ECT)

Add T4, jink, Lasgun carbines, 10 points per model

2 riders can replace carbine with non heavy from armory

Hellhound chassis get 25 point reductions and 11 rear armor

150 Vendetta, same with sponsors only costing 10

Leman Russ all get free pintle stubber, sponsons 10 points cheaper, no more gets hot on plasma, add HS volley sponson for 15 points

Pintle mounts grant TL if they hit first

Exterminators get rending,

Vanquishers become SD on a 5 or 6 to hit

60 Hydra

100 basilisk

60 wyvern

150 manticore

150 Deathstike (now SD blast)

Thoughts?

This would all be really awesome.  I'm down.  I especially love the weight of fire rule for Lasguns.  That has my vote.  

Though lately I have started thinking that maybe lasguns could benefit from being like AP6.  Would that be too much?

Also, I feel like GW is going towards making Armageddon the new Cadia.  Or we are gonna see them come out with new model all together, and make it look like an updated Solar Auxila model nearer to how Scions look now.  

Based on some of the leaked 8th edition rule changes, and how similar they are to rules in AoS, I think if we look at armies similar to Guard in AoS we can come to a good idea of how Guard will play in 8th.   I think that's a good thing because, based on what little I know of them, AoS rules have really impressed me.  Now I don't even know if any armies in AoS play similar to Guard, but if anyone more knowledgeable about AoS cares to draw some comparisons we might be able to form a picture of the Guard's future. 

Based on some of the leaked 8th edition rule changes, and how similar they are to rules in AoS, I think if we look at armies similar to Guard in AoS we can come to a good idea of how Guard will play in 8th.   I think that's a good thing because, based on what little I know of them, AoS rules have really impressed me.  Now I don't even know if any armies in AoS play similar to Guard, but if anyone more knowledgeable about AoS cares to draw some comparisons we might be able to form a picture of the Guard's future.

So the closest I think we have so far is The Empire. Normal men with equipment and training. What we do see from that is definitely some weight of fire effects, reroll 1s to hit, 1s and 2s if your unit contains 20 or more models, and up to threes for 30 or more. Or for handgunners, ass +1 if the unit didn't move and +1 if there are 20 or more models.

Also their troop detachment has some synergy with each other, add +1 to hit if you're within 6" of another unit from the formation, and get plus 1 leadership within 10" of the warlord. Also on a roll of 1(2 with a standard) the unit auto passes morale.

Also they hit AND wound on 4+ So that'd be a nice change.

Judging by that, if we get brought mor in line with AoS, I expect commissars will do something like negate battleshock on a 1, maybe a 2 depending on their points costs. Definitely weight of fire will be a thing, likely some bonus to hit with many models shooting.

Also judging by the way tanks and artillery go the templates will no longer be a thing and instead we'll just be getting some bonus to hit I find the enemy unit has more than 10 models or something, although each hit will deal something like d6 wounds saved separately.

So the closest I think we have so far is The Empire. Normal men with equipment and training. What we do see from that is definitely some weight of fire effects, reroll 1s to hit, 1s and 2s if your unit contains 20 or more models, and up to threes for 30 or more. Or for handgunners, ass +1 if the unit didn't move and +1 if there are 20 or more models.

Also their troop detachment has some synergy with each other, add +1 to hit if you're within 6" of another unit from the formation, and get plus 1 leadership within 10" of the warlord. Also on a roll of 1(2 with a standard) the unit auto passes morale.

Judging by that, if we get brought mor in line with AoS, I expect commissars will do something like negate battleshock on a 1, maybe a 2 depending on their points costs. Definitely weight of fire will be a thing, likely some bonus to hit with many models shooting.

Also judging by the way tanks and artillery go the templates will no longer be a thing and instead we'll just be getting some bonus to hit I find the enemy unit has more than 10 models or something, although each hit will deal something like d6 wounds saved separately.

I don't think the changes will be this drastic. There not AoSin 40k, just adding/streamling rules "that make sense" as it were. 40k is there major cash crop and they won't make the massive mistakes that they did with AoS and hurt there sales, it would be really bad for business. 

Krash

I don't think the changes will be this drastic. There not AoSin 40k, just adding/streamling rules "that make sense" as it were. 40k is there major cash crop and they won't make the massive mistakes that they did with AoS and hurt there sales, it would be really bad for business. 

Krash

I tend to agree actually. We should remember that all this was sparked by "We are considering a leadership system similar to AoS Battleshock.". So...yeah, no real indication at ALL of that drastic a change.

EDIT: Of course I'm kind of hoping for a few pretty big changes in the AM codex. Bringing back doctrines would be great, having a halfway decent detachment would be a good thing, and just some interesting things that new codexes bring with them. Judging from recent events we're in the market for some new heroes, I just hope  Yarrick survives.

I think the most important kind of change for the Astra Militarum is the creation of synergies between units. We already have a taste of what that could work like with the Emperor's Wrath Artillery Company, using Vox Casters to "spot" for other units, twin linking their weapons. And of course there are Orders.

Yet we are no where near the level of synergy that the Tau have. Say what you will about Tau, but Markerlights, the Hunter Contingent, the Supporting Fire special rule, that's good stuff. Both in terms of fluff and power on the table.

That's what we need. Not copy & paste from the Tau of course, but inspired by it. Vox Casters could be used for example to allow a second unit also equipped with a Vox Caster to join that unit's overwatch. Or a unit with a Vox Caster can request fire from a second unit whenever an enemy arrives from reserves near it, allowing that second unit to fire interceptor. You could combine this with orders as well. Suppressive Fire (Pinning) is not very useful right now. But imagine you could use Vox Casters to allow multiple units to execute this order, reducing the enemy's leadership by 1 for every unit firing. Now suddenly it becomes really powerful.

I'd also like to see Orders go beyond just granting additional rules for shooting attacks. Why not Movement and Assault Phase Orders? Like ordering a loaded march for extra D3 movement, or a Bayonet Charge order, granting Furios Charge. 

I do have a slight fear that the next campaign will be set on Armageddon and Ghazgul is finally gonna krump Yarrick, and then the space whale eats Catachan and we're out of heroes, hah.

The Steel Legion will be slaughtered and Ghaz breaks through to Yarrick and beats him nearly to a pulp, but at the last second Helbrecht shows up (with a fancy new model) and saves him. Yarrick will be alive, but placed into a coma, much like how Creed was pulled into Trazyn's Pokeball. This will ensure that he stays in limbo where they haven't quite killed him off and can bring him back later if they change their minds, but otherwise plays no part in the story and serves as a sort-of casualty to up the stakes. 

The Triumvirate of Armageddon will consist of Helbrecht, He'stan and a new Blood Angel hero. The Steel Legion will appear in a few background shots of models. 

I'd like some more Chimera variants with direct fire weaponry. I'd like to see something that is to Chimera as Predator is to Rhino. In lore we have Chimeras with quad autocannons (non-hydra, and non skyfire), missile launchers, laser destroyers, conqueror cannons, and other cool variants. Rules for these would be really cool.

I'd like some more Chimera variants with direct fire weaponry. I'd like to see something that is to Chimera as Predator is to Rhino. In lore we have Chimeras with quad autocannons (non-hydra, and non skyfire), missile launchers, laser destroyers, conqueror cannons, and other cool variants. Rules for these would be really cool.

A nice medium tank to complement the heavy Russes would be great. 

Would love new steel legion, Yarrick is on his last leg, Helbrecth will be killed by the new beast Ghazghull, and Guilliman will save the day.

The new trio will be 3 new Guillimans with different poses

But i jest let's be serious here. They won't even appear. They were eaten by Nids off screen.

Well, whatever happens to IG, I won't be purchasing anything new for a while. I have ~85 Praetorians at home I need to paint and field along with a few tanks!

That being said, I know 40k is moving towards super-ultra heroes, hence the amount of MCs and primarchs coming back. IG don't have anything close to a primarch and the only thing I can think of that would be a comparable MC would be some kinda mech suit like a mini knight, but then that might called a ripoff of the Tau.

What I think would be good would be if officers had more power and became force multipliers, from the CCS down to platoons and infantry squads. Sergeants can upgrade to a LT and platoon commanders can upgrade to captains with better rules for their unit. Also, a sort of regimental tactics similar to chapter tactics to give different regiments some flavor and benefits on the tabletop.

Archived