Chaos Runes in 30k?

Midwest

Pre and/or mid-Heresy, how well known are the Chaos runes - specifically the four associated with the Ruinous Powers themselves?

Modeling-wise, I was thinking of whether a pre-Heresy legion, perhaps coming across a human civilization that had succumbed to Chaos worship, would end up with icons or such that they would keep as trophies. In 40k, such things would be seen as blasphemous or impure, but given how the Emperor tried to keep the Legions in the dark, and absent an Inquisition to recognize their association with Chaos, would there be anything stopping a Word Bearer, Thousand Son, Space Wolf, or White Scar from keeping such things as trophies or talismans of their victories?

Similarly, would these runes be more known during the Heresy itself? I haven't really seen much reference in art or the novels about them, although admittedly I haven't read everything.

I've always assumed that the Gods' runes predate 40k, and would have already existed prior to the Crusades, let alone the Heresy. I've been thinking of this as the Khorne standard from the current CSM squad plastics is something I really like, but I don't play any Khornate army in either timeline, so I've been thinking it'd make a nice trophy bit in a 30k force that's ignorant of its meaning beyond being the standard of a human army they'd defeated during compliance.

Their symbols definitely pre-date 40k/30k, although I think there were have always been many variations - just like how the gods are often referred to by different names (Kharnath = Khorne, etc). Keeping trophies like that is a bit of a stretch - there's taking a skull from a worthy foe or wielding their weapon, and then there's displaying an icon of a faith you're sworn to destroy. It's justifiable though, nothing stopping you from doing it, but I'd have thought that trophies of that kind would be small and personal rather than actual giant brass icons of dark gods.

It's worth noting that the Thousand Sons Legion incorporated the symbol of Tzeentch into many of their hieroglyphs. In fact, the symbol for each of their Psychic cults were a direct distortion of the Tzeentch symbol.

http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i327/nickfayette1/thousand-sons-cult-logos.jpg

I didn't know about the TS cult symbols including the Tzeentch rune, and I must have forgotten the First Heretic references.

Marshal Loss, I was inspired by reading on ancient Greeks and Romans displaying captured trophies in their temples. Obviously an individual walking around with a captured banner is a bit different, but the idea still appeals to me!

It's worth noting that the Thousand Sons Legion incorporated the symbol of Tzeentch into many of their hieroglyphs. In fact, the symbol for each of their Psychic cults were a direct distortion of the Tzeentch symbol.

http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i327/nickfayette1/thousand-sons-cult-logos.jpg

Afaik we never got them as transfers from FW, right? 

:(

Archived