Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Playing SW without TWC or Wulfen - viability?

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

krrenalor

krrenalor

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 9 posts

It is not possible to play against a COMPETITIVE list without TWC and Wulfen, I am a tournament player and will meet 4 Wraightknight lists with Jet Bikes and you will get tabled.

Now if someone has some secret SW list without TWC and Wulfen that can win post it. I had Ork players insist the codex can win, they have one win at a major tournament in 2 years! Then I pulled the Eldar list of top 5 finishes and it was two pages, ONE WIN FOR ORKS. Not competitive at all is a SW wolf list without TWC and Wulfen, you need a two turn close assault MAX to beat Tau and Eldar. You can literally be on them turn 1 with some builds, TURN ONE!

Now of course you can build a fun list, that's what I field against Orks. But Eldar and Tau will bring sick firepower or psychic support and table you in three turns.

The Helm of Durfast on a Rune Priest with a bunch of back up Rune Priests on bikes might work attached to a Wolf guard bike unit, I haven't given it a shot and neither has anyone else at a tournament and won that I know of.

Edited by krrenalor, 20 March 2017 - 07:11 PM.

• Wolf Guard Dan likes this

TheWolfLord

TheWolfLord

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,290 posts

It is not possible to play against a COMPETITIVE list without TWC and Wulfen, I am a tournament player and will meet 4 Wraightknight lists with Jet Bikes and you will get tabled.

Now if someone has some secret SW list without TWC and Wulfen that can win post it. I had Ork players insist the codex can win, they have one win at a major tournament in 2 years! Then I pulled the Eldar list of top 5 finishes and it was two pages, ONE WIN FOR ORKS. Not competitive at all is a SW wolf list without TWC and Wulfen, you need a two turn close assault MAX to beat Tau and Eldar. You can literally be on them turn 1 with some builds, TURN ONE!

Now of course you can build a fun list, that's what I field against Orks. But Eldar and Tau will bring sick firepower or psychic support and table you in three turns.

The Helm of Durfast on a Rune Priest with a bunch of back up Rune Priests on bikes might work attached to a Wolf guard bike unit, I haven't given it a shot and neither has anyone else at a tournament and won that I know of.

Do you know anyone who has won a tournament with a SW list in the last 2 years regardless of build?

Nrthstar

Nrthstar

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 962 posts

Here you go Thewolflord http://bloodofkitten...ist-compendium/ Blood of Kittens keeps it updated.  The win GT win Space Wolf list in 7th edition is a Wolf star.  Disheartening, that the best of the best in the nation can't.  Maverk and I have agreed on a lot over the years, but land raiders and our bikes are definitely not winning us tournaments.  Last time I ran a land raider, I keep in 6th out of 24 in a tourney.  (Arjac and shield bros, small Thunderwolf squad (not a star/bs) and dreadnoughts)

I have been looking for new lists.  As I said on page one, I'm trying to work out an all dreadnought army, I just need more dreads.  But Iron hands and blood angels seem to do it better.  I ran Wyrdstorm in a small 750 point tourney, and it didn't go too well, except ironically against a barebones thunderwolf list.  750 is too small on points to support twc, so the poor fella didn't stand a chance.

QUOTE (hendrik @ Aug 16 2011, 05:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
so not only do you dare to call an elder wolf a whelp, but now your also reglecting the sacred rule of dibs and shotgun??!!! :blink:

No man will ever be able to make The Beard shave, but a woman seems to get me every time.

krrenalor

krrenalor

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 9 posts

I used the Blood of Kittens list also, look at Orks and then Eldar, it is really disheartening.

Cessna

Cessna

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 112 posts

I've never played in a tournament, and never will.

I like to play a good game and give my opponent a challenge, but to me the game is an excuse to stand around a table with friends while drinking beer and swapping stories.

I don't like the aesthetics of TWC or Wulfen. I far prefer regular units like Grey Hunters, or, better yet, Champions of Fenris.

I like to think I am not the only person who prefers this style of play.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users