Savlar Chem Dogs WIP (Leman Russ Finished Mar 13)

brettfp

Great suggestion, Isinfier. As written in the wiki about them "Guardsmen of these regiments are also prone to carrying a number of non-standard pieces of gear, such as improved body armour, stolen, civilian-made dust-goggles and vox-casters, and even extremely rare archeotech they have "acquired. These pieces you suggested would fit superwell imo.

For Further rebreathers, I thought the Sicarian infiltrators and Ruststalkers got some things you might be able to use as bits. I used the lower part of an Infiltrator (cut away top part of head) as a pretty unique gasmask rebreather for an Inquisitorial Acolyte and it turned out pretty unique. All I di was cut away part of the nose and down to the side of the jaws and it fit really well.

99120116003_SicarianInfiltrators03.jpg99120116003_Infiltrator2360.jpg

If you are looking for more chains and iron-shackles for these penal-legion criminals, the Black Templar upgrade sprue got some good ones you can cut out and use for conversions. No need to buy the whole sprue, just some bits. smile.png

99120101043_BTChapterUpgradeNEW01.jpg

You know, I've given it some thought and you could probably get away with using some of the Genestealer Cult hybrid upgrades for your Chem Dogs.

Yeah, I have looked at these, I'll probably grab them next time i need to get some troops. The next thing i'll be making is some command squads so probably after them.

For Further rebreathers, I thought the Sicarian infiltrators and Ruststalkers got some things you might be able to use as bits. I used the lower part of an Infiltrator (cut away top part of head) as a pretty unique gasmask rebreather for an Inquisitorial Acolyte and it turned out pretty unique. All I di was cut away part of the nose and down to the side of the jaws and it fit really well.

If you are looking for more chains and iron-shackles for these penal-legion criminals, the Black Templar upgrade sprue got some good ones you can cut out and use for conversions. No need to buy the whole sprue, just some bits. smile.png

Yeah cool, I might try that for some of the characters. I'm probably gonna end up using every 3rd party rebreather i can find (pig iron, maxmini).

As for chains i'm probably not gonna use that many, I'm thinking that this is one of the more trusted regiments. They're all psychopaths who would prefer to fight than run away anyway, so as long as there's someone there to point their insanity in the right direction then its all good.biggrin.png

Yaaayyyy!!!! I finally got one painted!

http://i.imgur.com/yy5kcyr.jpg

I'm pretty happy with the colouring but i'm pretty out of practice with painting, but it'll come back. I might do a little bit less weathering on the shoulders on the others though. but yeah, i think it works. Now I just have to do another 9 more for Cleansing of Ioria.

Although, can anyone point me in the direction of a good tutorial for eyes?

C&C much appreciated!

So, I've been chugging along and have finished a sergeant and 2 more troops.

http://i.imgur.com/wBSsRlS.jpg

It doesn't come across well in the photos but the chainsword is painted to look like it was 'acquired' from a Cadian.

It's all coming back to me though. I'm slowly remembering how to paint miniatures and I'm happy with the colours I'm using.

Here's a shot of everything so far.

http://i.imgur.com/Jm6GgPC.jpg

biggrin.png

This one is my favourite so far. I really think I've got the hang of weathering now and I'm really happy with how the pink on the knuckles comes across in the photos.

Goggles are way easier to paint than eyes tongue.png Might start using them more.

http://i.imgur.com/wQrUe9K.jpg

Thoughts?

Great models, the Salvar are one of my fave regiments, and you've captured their look perfectly - and plans for Chem-Riders?

I plan to do Chem-riders at some point, but I'm not sure what to do for them yet. There's about 4-5 units I know how i'm gonna model them so i'll do them first. For the Chem-Riders, I know I don't wanna use horses cos that's just boring and I don't wanna use dark elf cold ones because its been done before. I was thinking about using the Khorne Fleshhounds with the symbol carved off, but I've never seen one in real life so I'm not sure how well they'd scale with guardsmen. Anyone able to shed some light on that?ermm.gif

Man, Chem Dogs. Nice work. I'd love to see one of them getting a piece of archeotech.

Archeotech can be tricky, mostly cos from what I've read a lot of it isn't weapons, but I raided my mates bits box on the weekend and got some HH stuff that I'm gonna use (not sure if Calth or Prospero). I'm thinking that any archeotech (and some 'custom' weapons) will be reserved for high ranking officers. The lowly grunts will have to make do with lasguns stolen from dead cadians and such.tongue.png

I like the colors of their uniform, but I have to ask if Savlar natives have such pale skin in-universe. Is it a side-effect of the combat drugs they use? Or is it due to Genestealer genetic contamination or Chaos-taint?

Well, there's 2 ways to answer this.

1. (In-Universe) Most of the Chem-Dogs aren't Savlar natives, they're criminals shipped in from all over, but I feel that a combination of noxious chemicals in the mines and combat drugs would affect the skin. Plus there isn't much artwork for them but I've never seen an even remotely tanned Chem Dog.

2. (Meta) I just thought it would look cool and fit the uniform, also, the pale sickly skin just makes them look a bit more 'bad guy' which they kinda are. I'm pretty much modelling these guys as loyalist cultists if that makes sense.laugh.png (I plan to use the FW renegades bodies with the chaos symbols removed for Vets)

Ohhh I like these! Awesome seeing them with paint on! I would suggest though you have another color for the base, right now they blend together quite a bit - maybe something greyish?

And I am looking forward to the archeotech!

For the riders, maybe some wild riders? Hahah I dunno, would look fun. :P https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Wild-Riders

But more serious, maybe bikes?

http://wargamingforums.com/graphics/modeling/conversion/cadian-rough-riders-1-large.jpg

Archived