The Wolves are coming... Legion VI - Vlka Fenryka by Adam

I really love your style of the heavy wearer town look for your Wolves brother. They remind me of the stories of the Wolves basically barely having time to rearm and mend their equipment before being redeployed.

BCC

• 8 months later...

Hey, so after many months off I returned yet again to painting some Vlka Fenryka. I started of with a Grey Slayer in MKIII armour, to check if I remember everything, all the steps of painting to get the consistent look with the others. Turns out I did, thankfully. So I immediately painted 2 more Assault Marines, and you can see all three of them below. I'm also working on some Long Fangs... I mean Heavy Suport squad, soon to come. 

JJ9ID7S.jpg?1

aCw5lLG.jpg?1

amjNzK5.jpg

Npm01Es.jpg?1

C&C welcome as always!

Thanks guys! Means a lot to me and my motivation hehe :biggrin.:

Outstanding work so far Grimdark Prince Adam!

Did you use stencil work on the shoulder pad markings or was it all freehand?

So I just noticed this question, it was all decals actually. By the way, in the thread there were a lot of questions concerning recipies I used, I plan on finding them all and putting them into one post, maybe the first post of this thread? What do you guys think?

Those guys look sufficiently savage for sw without all the overloaded conan stuff a lot of 40k players bring to the army. Well done! I lile the subdued glow on the aces as well.

Thanks! I have also been bothered with the "overloaded conan stuff" as you so nicely described, generally I think of this army as SW mainly from Terra with a bit of fenrisian folclore or units mixed in here and there.

• 8 months later...

Hey guys, so after a certain break I got back to painting, and managed to finish a 5 man squad of heavy support and 3 tartaros terminators, out of the planned 10 (2 squads of 5, possible to combine into a 10 man squad). Here are the 3 terminators, and soon I will also be posting the heavy support squad:

V2lYlMS.jpg?3

gIpstUx.jpg?3

AFQmBpu.jpg?1

Any C&C greatly welcome!

Very nice! The dirty and damaged look works superbly with the miniatures.

Thanks a lot! Its funny when before applying battle damage they look so nice and elegant, but then I am reminded they are not here for a tea party :wink:

This time the 5 man heavy support squad. They seem to be more veteran, which is reflected on their more "decorated" armour, more patient, to take aim and actually not plunge into battle as quickly as possible. Generally I have a vision of my army as mostly Terran born, gradually applying the rules and customs of their Fenrisian brethren, with older, veteran warriors applying runes and markings on their armour etc.

4gWWkpD.jpg?1

9CnhixI.jpg?1

0LfKlyz.jpg?1

Woah, those looks amazing.

Thanks mate!

Cracking work as per usual, particularly that heavy support squad, I like how you've used the upgrade kit to show their veteran status.

Thanks! This idea was of course derived from the Long Fangs concept, after thinking about how to diferentiate this squad from the rest I decided it is not a bad concept, as veteran warriors usually will have lost their packs after decades of fighting, and possibly be grouped with their pears to perform specific tasks, such as heavy support.

A-WOOOOOOOOOOOOO great project. Love your knitty gritty approach. Looking guuuud.

Thanks! And I love your knitty-gritty comments , giving me gud motivation to keep further painting :biggrin.:

In the meantime, I managed to finish painting the remaining 2 Tartaros terminators for the first 5-man squad, I plan to uxpand them up to 10 in the fiture, with possibility for dividing them into 2 5-man squads:

l4PUDjt.jpg?1

nHNUSfE.jpg?1

2kz3kcK.jpg?1

And here is a pic of the full squad, it is always so satisfying to finish a coherent unit :smile.:

9CTv8oB.jpg?1

Thanks again for the comments!

those are rad

Thanks!

So I finished today another addition to The Rout, this time a Contemptor Dreadnought. Just so you don't get the wrong idea that I am suddenly paintingminiatures so quickly - the Dread has been waiting since around March, after I assembled it and applied all the pre-weathering steps of the painting, meaning it was like 70% done. Well I decided it was high time to wake it from its slumber, and now it is rampaging towards the closest heretic unit it can fine:

LQcK93e.jpg?1 

jZ9hZxe.jpg?1

P5BShwf.jpg?1

zyC0b77.jpg?1

OJd0Ip3.jpg?1

As usual, heavy weathering was applied, even more than the previous one. I must say that it is actually extremely hard to apply light or moderate weathering after you see the heavier weathering effect in real life, pictures don't give full justice to how this looks. Any comments are gladly welcome.

I love the look of your army!

Howd you do the metallics on the dread? I am still struggeling with weathered metal. Recently I started to stipple rust colours on.

Thanks!

As for the metallics, the base is the same as I explained earlier on in the thread (I think):

1. Base Leadbelcher.

2. Wash Agrax Earthshade.

3. Drybrush Necron Compound.

4. Stiple diluted Rhinox Hide using spunge for randomization effect (I actually forgot to do this here for the whole model, I corrected it however and maybe I will post it later how it looks now).

5. Coat everything with 'Ardcoat, this both secures the washes from being damaged by the white spirit to be aplied in later step, as well as gives a nice surface for the spirit to flow.

After that, weathering steps:

5. Apply randomly rust coloured (I have both light and dark rust) weathering powders mixed with water (paint consistency).

6. After drying, work the weathering powders with a dry, soft brush.

7. Apply white spirit mixed with 5-10% matt varnish to the surfaces to solidify the weathering powders.

8. Stiple with sponge diluted Runefang steel.

The last step gives a lot of nice contrast and makes the weathering really stand out. I got most of this recipe from reading the Horus Heresy Model Masterclass.

In case you have any questions regarding the details or materials used feel free to ask :wink:

• 2 weeks later...

Very cool, thank you!

I guess I'll have a go at sponging the weathering more on my metals, really like the randomness ist gives!

I hope it goes well for you, do you by any chance have a thread where you post your work?

Great stuff here mate, really reminds me of the Visions of Heresy artwork.

Thanks mate! That is one honorific comment, thanks!

The painting streak goes on, and today I have finished 2 of 3 Apothecaries from the Apothecarion detachment. The models are quite demanding in terms of paiting, due to the abusive amount of details on them, but overall, very fun to paint, and I am quite satisfied with the outcome, especially since it was first time painting white armour. The recipe was almost the same as with the regular and black armour, just with different colours.

Any comments welcome!

0WBxwcd.jpg?1

YTFGIJg.jpg?1

CgCBI1Y.jpg?1

flbbmzx.jpg?1

wubFsKr.jpg?1