Rough Riders are a link to the Napoleonic themes of the Guard, along with big banners. With all the weird and wonderful in 40k horses on the battle field are low on the nonsense scale msn-wink.gif Besides sense has no place in 40k; leave it at the door and life will be a lot easier laugh.png

Your penitent vow of 10 mecasteeds has been noted by the commissariat. We look forward to seeing it completed soon! :P

When space marines can ride giant space wolves I think an ordinary guardsman on an ordinary horse is just fine teehee.gif

As always I'm impressed with people's skill and speed of painting - I have one Stormie with 2 different paints on so far... :P

Well the SpacePuppies are just as confused as the guardsmen.

**Accessing last known conversation of Guardsman First Class Eddic**

"Get on your horse guardsmen!"

"Yes Sir, I just want it noted that my last horse was literally torn in two by that Beserker."

"Hence why it was docked from your pay! Now ride this perfectly sensible mode of transportation"

"Yes sir, I shall do that, and take my perfectly sensible hunting lance and attempt to make it into combat with something so as to poke out the eye of the Emperor's enemies!"

However, I have a 3 day weekend and a 4 day weekend for the next two weeks, so I suppose I should have plenty of time to build my mechasteeds. Challenge accepted! I also expect that should I complete these models, warrior will reward me accordingly with a pay raise...to probably zero credits >.>

Edit: Missed your post about painting Arkaniss. We believe in you, the Commissars might not, but we do. PS. Can I have your stuff when you get "motivated" by the Emperor's hands...and his bolt round?

For such heroics I will double your pay! :P

I have long wanted updated RRs (and rules...) that's why I get excited everyone time someone produces some. I've seen quite a few spiffy conversions like Heckus's so it may be time I did some of my own - may be a project for later this year..?

I've seen some really neat ideas for RRs, like mechanical exosuits to make the guard guy run faster or such, so far no mechasteeds in my limited searches. Their rules don't seem terrible, just the idea is asinine. And in the current 40K rules that make assault iffy, I dunno if they'd work other than looking cool/drawing fire for a turn or so. maybe as a counter charge unit? I'll have to put some thought into it. Worst case I have some hopefully neat looking but useless models.

That sentence basically sums up 80% of my hobby room though.

Sounds like you have a new project WF! Get to it, in fact lets race....first to 10 RRs wins....

Back on topic...1.5 weeks left in the phase. GET YOUR STUFF DONE GUYS!!!! or the heretics could win! =O

The heretics lost the moment that they turned from His light. They have already lost the battle for they have already lost their souls.

Am trudging through my sentinels, 20 mins here, 10 mins there. If I can get a decent hour or two in on them they should be done in time

No place in 40k? Blasphemy!! We guard have been on horseback since the rogue trader days. Never much cared for the Mongolian themed bunch though, so I made my own with the originals in mind.

My main inspiration though comes from the 1987 movie the Light Horsemen. The Australian 4th light cavalry brigade at the Battle of Beersheba in 1917. Cavalry charging "under the gun"(advancing faster than the artillery can correct its aim for the reduced range) to take Turkish artillery positions. Glorious!

Rule-wise, yeah, not the best, but they sure do look menacing on the table.

The bridge of the Duke's Prize hummed with unusual activity as the passengers and crew made ready for the transition to realspace.  From his prominent command station, the captain surveyed each subordinate's preparation for the dangerous and uncomfortable process.  Commissar Jerryn Vanar stood in the space designated for observers with a considerably more stoic expression than the crewmen around him.

A light on the captain's panel flashed and the voice of the astropath filtered through the comms system.  

"Captain, it is time."

"Very well," the captain stood and began barking orders.  "Void engines on standby, prepare shields, transfer power to transition team on my mark...three...two...one...MARK."

Vanar began to feel the usual uncomfortable dislocation as the warp defying technology brought the ship back into reality.  It always made his tongue itch.  

Reports immediately began flooding the bridge.

"Destabilization on Deck 92!  We're venting atmo."

"Crew reports fires on Decks 18, 33, and 86."

"Security reports minor manifestations on Decks 46-52."

The captain was already pressing buttons and calmly issuing instructions into the ship's communications system directing the numerous engineers, damage control, and security.  After a moment, he stood up.

"Men," he began, "Allow me to be the first to congratulate you on a textbook transition."  Applause and cheering from the deck officers and crew followed his statement.

"Sir," a lieutenant broke in, "We have multiple contacts transmitting Imperial codes.  The fleet's combat patrol has already turned toward us and is requesting identification."

Vanar now broke his silence.  "Captain, please transmit the rendezvous code and inform the flagship that Colonel von Strohm sends her regards." He turned to address another young crewman directly without waiting for the captain's reply. "Flight officer! Status report."   

"My lord, Red Squad and Team Firespear both report that they are ready and the Valkyries are hot.  They're ready to deploy on your command."

"Thank you, lieutenant.  Tell the pilots to standby.  I will be joining them personally."

The 177th had come to Ioria.

---

Vow complete!  The photos are bad and my flak armor highlighting did not go as planned.  But, hey, still complete!

Our intrepid commissar:

http://i1259.photobucket.com/albums/ii544/alaricgu/16237655_10154743848906263_1889919602_n_zpsb5ctqkak.jpg

http://i1259.photobucket.com/albums/ii544/alaricgu/16237506_10154743848951263_1272236250_n_zpsra0zupbe.jpg

Red Squad:

http://i1259.photobucket.com/albums/ii544/alaricgu/16215978_10154743849016263_2020895205_n_zps5gka3ynw.jpg

http://i1259.photobucket.com/albums/ii544/alaricgu/16295560_10154743849036263_1895233154_n_zpswnomuczc.jpg

And Heavy Weapons Team Firespear:

http://i1259.photobucket.com/albums/ii544/alaricgu/16295607_10154743848841263_1145457258_n_zpsxzcbrlwz.jpg

Here we are vow complete.

http://i.imgur.com/AtAbBVN.jpg?2

http://i.imgur.com/qYHzoCR.jpg?2

http://i.imgur.com/bDpuyhF.jpg?2

I'm calling this one done. I think I may have spent as much time on the base as the aircraft, stupid dry times.

HLVW

Nailed down my scheme for the Stormies, went traditional Inquisition. Just the other two to paint now - and the bases! smile.png

sml_gallery_27469_12799_153687.jpeg

HLVW that is an amazing model! You should be very pleased with that, no matter how long it took thanks to drying times! thumbsup.gif Ed I'm loving the also traditional Cadian colour scheme nice work! Cadia Stands! biggrin.png

I hereby complete my vow! He turned out quite well I think, got my thinking about my next Inquisition model...

gallery_30308_10604_58647.jpg

Yuji knew the Eldar. He remembered his first contact with them aboard that haunted vessel, fittingly it was then the Dark Eldar as it was today. As much as they might say otherwise there were many similarities between the dwellers of Commoragh and their space bound brethren. As an Inquisitor it was only their weaknesses that truly concerned him. Dangerous foes no doubt, but he thanked the Emperor for giving him the tools to combat them and the warriors up to the task.

"Now."

A single word to usher in the deaths of many. He gave the order to move to the next waypoint, and the Stormtroopers obeyed - taking care to give the large irradiated crater a wide berth. As long as the craven xenos would look down their noses at humanity so would cunning humans like himself exploit it. His only regret was that their deaths would have been instantaneous so they wouldn't have had the chance to realise that arrogance was their downfall. A pity, but there was always next time... and Ioria was far from cleansed. Yet.

I go to sleep and a bunch of you finish things. Seems like I should sleep more.

Great work Fellow Commanders. Looking forward to the narrative that comes when this is through.

I got some base coats down on the inquisitor's henchmen, Mostly finished with the Inquisitor. Should have pics tonight or tomorrow. And hopefully be done by Sunday.

Going through my Big Box O' Bits And Junk™ I came across an old miniature of one of the old, metal female Inquisitors. This thread has made me want to actually throw some paint on her, now.

Do it! One of the types recently in the made to order list the other month I take? I always like to see an old model spruced up with a modern paint job :D

@ Brother Captain Ed.Nice completion, that Commissar looks great. Your traditional Cadian Scheme has been finished real nice.

@ HLVW. Wow...that base!

@WarriorFish. I really like the bash of the MK IV and the Scion bits. Never thought they would fit together and not look odd, I was very wrong!

This reminds me better put up a photo of my finished vow.

As promised earlier I now declare my vow complete.

Thinking towards phase two.....I've got a few valid IG options I could paint. However I really would like to finish a Scion squad for the Campaign, but I have 5 Scions with hot shots left. This isn't a valid vow with the IG Codex. Looking for advice from the barracks here is there a way I could legally vow these 5 Scions? Thanks for help in advance

gallery_72518_9307_6187.jpg

gallery_72518_9307_622043.jpg

Great work baz, we're starting to collection completions now biggrin.png As for your Scions, sounds like a good Inquisition vow - five acolytes with carapace and hotshots msn-wink.gif For the purposes of the Campaign it only matters for the number of successful vows, so you can grab all three phases without needing to dedicate to any one cause. As you've vowed a Primaris I think it's safe to say you're not aiming for one of the top spots laugh.png

Ignore WF baz, I've got a much better idea.

Paint all 5 scions, then in the completion pic one of them has an unhappy respirator mask face as the commissar points at his hot shot and tells him he can't deploy for illegal gear. Then shoots him. In the unhappy mask.

Archived