The Anvils of Konor - Champion Grune Thrael painted!

Capt. Jack

Evening all!

Took a short while to get my mojo back after a short trip away, but today I spent a bit of time reworking a classic!

I want to see if you guys can tell me the inspiration for this chap! :wink: I have a few things to finish before I can call him done, but I'm happy with how he's coming along :smile.:

gallery_29868_4100_456715.jpg

gallery_29868_4100_506702.jpg

C&C welcome

It's this guy, right? A classic.

Sorry, I couldn't find a non-hideous paint job to grace your thread.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CLASSIC-METAL-SPACE-MARINE-VETERAN-SERGEANT-RED-SCORPIONS-PAINTED-2764-/381013190630

Hey guys,

I received some parts from LordCommanderEidolon to help him emulate some awesome artwork from another user on the B&C for Julius Kaesoron before his fall to chaos.

He's still in the very early stages, the pose is sorted but I still need to add all the fancy details etc. The head is a stand in for now, but I'm happy with how progress is coming along.

gallery_29868_13032_726036.jpg

gallery_29868_13032_76077.jpg

gallery_29868_13032_160679.jpg

C&C Welcome!

By the Emperor, consider that classic stolen!

Glad you like! Would love to see what you can do with the idea!

Evening all!

Took a short while to get my mojo back after a short trip away, but today I spent a bit of time reworking a classic!

I want to see if you guys can tell me the inspiration for this chap! ;) I have a few things to finish before I can call him done, but I'm happy with how he's coming along :)gallery_29868_4100_456715.jpggallery_29868_4100_506702.jpg

C&C welcome

It's this guy, right? A classic.

Sorry, I couldn't find a non-hideous paint job to grace your thread.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CLASSIC-METAL-SPACE-MARINE-VETERAN-SERGEANT-RED-SCORPIONS-PAINTED-2764-/381013190630

That's the one! Not sure what Legion to paint him when I get round to it...

That's actually a great idea to update the classic models (going to have to steal that idea too)! I think you've perfectly captured the feel of the old model!

I'm glad you approve, good sir! I should be doing quite of a few of the classic 2nd edition models I hope!

This one maybe :) ? http://thumbs1.picclick.com/d/l400/pict/371865296976_/Warhammer-40K-Space-Marine-Veteran-Sergeant-with-Scanner.jpg

Aye! One of the best!

Al my likes, Sir. You may have them.

KrautScientist pointed me towards this thread, and I've just completed reading it. Subbed!

I'm glad you like my work! Stayed tuned for more!

Stellar work mate, but I have a question(sorry if you've already explainex) but us there a particular reason why you don't use plasticard to elongate the legs of your space marines? I know that it is a very popular method in the Truescale community (I myself use it). Is it just preference or have you found a practical advantage? Thanks in advance :)

Hey guys,

Apologies my updates have been fairly sporadic; the latest submission required a lot of patience (the cloak) and I wanted to have it as complete as possible before the reveal!

The second miniature of my "classics" project where I rework my favourite 2nd/3rd edition miniatures in Heresy mark armour.

There is a little work left with this chap; inner cloak and bionic leg, but I'm extremely happy with how he's turned out. Can you tell which model he is based off?

gallery_29868_4100_70660.jpg

gallery_29868_4100_48822.jpg

gallery_29868_4100_35504.jpg

gallery_29868_4100_24756.jpg

gallery_29868_4100_36920.jpg

C&C welcome!

I am an avid reader of this thread - each model you come up with seems to outshine the ones previous to it! You're really one of my favourite modellers to watch.

Really looking forward to seeing what more you come up with!

Truly humbling sir! I'm delighted you like my work and strive towards constant improvement!

Stellar work mate, but I have a question(sorry if you've already explainex) but us there a particular reason why you don't use plasticard to elongate the legs of your space marines? I know that it is a very popular method in the Truescale community (I myself use it). Is it just preference or have you found a practical advantage? Thanks in advance :)

Thank you! I use 1mm copper wire because it's very easy to fine tune angles before committing to the position of the leg. It makes it extremely easy to ensure lines are consistent, and I'm so used to it I could do the process with my eyes closed!

I do like the sword on Kaesoron. Not one of my favorite characters from Fulgrim but I have no dislike for him either.

Thanks man! It was fun to make! Kaesoron nears completion...

Huh, I'm not aware of anyone basing a Kaesoron conversion of my illustration, so I'll follow this with interest

The art was partially based of the Cataphractii Praetor model, so you're off to a good start ;)

I hope you don't mind! It's an excellent piece of artwork and I hope I do it justice!

Lovely model, great pose and I like seeing all the different shades of resin together. Also looking forward to seeing the other updated classic models!

Glad you like him! You should enjoy this evenings update!

Looking most worthy of the First Captain of the Third my friend! Can't stress how wickedly menacing that sword looks, a real master stroke!!

Don't forget to post the bionic leg Captain up too, he is worthy of a little homage too!!

Kaesoron is a really fun little project :) the bionic chap is hot off the press!

I like the retro pose marine. That is simply a great kitbash.

Also, Julius? Oh yeah! Will he be getting some Kakophoni friends too? I remember a base being made. :)

Thank you squire! I have received parts for Kakophoni so he is definately in the queue! ;)

That guy is such a crisp and clean model. My hat's off to you, sir. Personally I'm not a fan of static poses, but I know you're making it in homage to the model he's inspired by so it works perfectly for him.

This thread continues to amaze, and this latest series of conversions inspired by classic metal models is especially lovely: The greatest part is how you have come up with models that perfectly encapsulate how we remember those iconic pieces (while realising that they haven't aged quite as gracefully as we would like to believe, at least in some cases). Anyway, a perfect blend of nostalgia and cutting-edge converting/sculpting!

On a semi-related note, can I just say that your tutorial on sculpting fur capes really came in handy during a recent conversion of mine? My results weren't quite as smooth and lovely as yours, but that tutorial was still a godsend! :)

Keep up the amazing work!

Archived