The Anvils of Konor - Champion Grune Thrael painted!

Capt. Jack

You cease to impress.

I cease to impress?!?! Hehe, I know what you mean.

I have a real problem with the goofy stances Games Workshop give their marines, and also how woefully small they are compared to a standard guardsman/tau fire warrior for example.

So I always boost at the shin by a few mm and for Terminators a little at the waist also. I have a lot of respect for those who properly 'true scale' their marines, but it's a bloody arduous process, and I would feel bad for those I play against having tiny marines in comparison!

I'm glad you like the writing, I'll see what else I can come up with!

You ugh...got any more of those English lessons available?

I also love seeing true scaled marines especially when compared to a basic guardsmen. After seeing Brother Heinrich's night lords and how he boosted his marines height I always wanted to do the same. Yet I know I would work at an even more glacial pace if I tried.

---

Brother Gorvenal is also looking good. I really want to see painted translucent skin now as well. I wonder if painting muscle then gloss varnishing would give a good effect.

Glad you like him Brother!

Well, I have a while to read up on it before I commit the act! I'm thinking of attempting to paint blood vessels around his head, and I know there are plenty of examples from movies etc. where this has been done with cgi or makeup!

Great work on Brother Gorvenal - feeling your veal for conversion work.

Veal? You'd be making me hungry were it not for the subject matter I look at online to reference for my conversions! Hehe. Thanks for the feedback though :)

So, the pollution here has been pretty diabolical today, so I spent only a small amount of time at the gym (no 10km run, booo hiss!) and the rest of the day at my desk, toiling away!

I thought I would give you guys a little 'sneak peak' of what I hope to have completed tomorrow to submit, but I'm very pleased with how he's coming along :)

I will say this; I have a MUCH larger project on the go at the moment, which I want perfect before I submit, but I'll try not to keep you all waiting! ;)

gallery_29868_12717_245687.jpg

gallery_29868_12717_122646.jpg

C&C welcome!

HA I found you on here now mate too.

We talk all the time so you know what I think of your work.

Nice to see you on here

Aye! Tis good to be back. I took the time to peruse your works recently and I've got to say it's immensely impressive!

An update from China; the Sgt. of my Tactical/Breacher squad, Brother Sgt. Borin.

~ Borin's experience as a line sergeant throughout the course of the Great Crusade, the countless campaigns he participated in alongside the vaunted hero's of the Legion and the impressive tally of kills he accumulated all contributed to his transformation at the hands of Nurgle.

When the warning klaxon on board starting wailing, spreading news of a serious failure of the Gellar-field, Brother-Sgt. Borin didn't hesitate in calling in his squad, ensuring they were battle-ready and prepared for the worst.

The thralls and minions of the warp and the Chaos gods are however, not of this material realm, and as such, the wholly naive approach taken by the Death Guard, though easily adequate to deal with most other threats the galaxy could throw their way, was almost entirely ineffectual. How were they to know of the existence of such creatures when the Emperor failed to inform even his own sons, the indomitable Primarchs, of their presence in the warp and indeed, in the hearts and minds of weak men?

Nonetheless, though someone hampered by the Legion's preference for flame weapons and slender, swift power scythes, that dispelled these foul, putrid beings back from whence they came, the sheer quantity that pressed their attack was overwhelming, slipping through the meters thick bulkheads and hull though they were mist.

Curiously, these seemingly mindless creatures seemed to come with a goal. Not to kill, or incapacitate the Brother Astartes on board; they saved this sport for the helpless humans serving on the Scythe's Edge, but instead to imbue their 'gifts' to the super human warriors. A pledge or exchange of services if you will; the Death Guard on board, already bannermen to the traitor Horus, would also serve a greater master, the Lord of Decay, the Harbinger of Pestilence and Disease. Grandfather Nurgle.

A slight touch from these creatures, even on armour, was potent enough to send the foul influence of the warp coursing through the bodies of the genehanced Astartes, immediately affecting changes of varying severity across their ranks.

It must have only been within a few minutes of the klaxons sounding that the work of these warp fiends was enacted, the decks slick with the rent remains of the unfortunate deckhands, entrails, blood and faeces painting ever surface. The Gellar-field was fully operational once more.

Though consumed by wracking pains as though each and every cell was ablaze, indeed many readings from still functioning power armour visors indicated appalling organ-failure that surely would have cut the thread of even the staunchest Brother-Astartes. This was not so, and through the intense pain, each marine knew from that point onwards they had been bestowed magnificent gifts that they itched to use against the False Emperor and his foolish pawns.

Borin was ready to unleash his grim, terrifying and wonderous new powers in a crusade against the Imperium that would reap billions of lives. ~

gallery_29868_12717_1406151.jpg

gallery_29868_12717_41594.jpg

gallery_29868_12717_1023171.jpg

gallery_29868_12717_745783.jpg

Not the greatest writer, but I hope you enjoy the story and the new pictures!

C&C welcome!

Nice kitbash on the sergeant, good green stuff skills also.

Thanks Pearson, I am to please!

Spent a little time working on this next chap, and I have to be honest, I have NEVER liked the FW Death Guard heads (with the exception of the bare head for the Sgt.) so I played around with some options.

I ruled out plastic mk3 immediately, leaving resin mk2 and Imperial Fists (Phalanx Warder?) helm. I like the Fists helm due to how substantial it looks, which fits with the aesthetic of the Legion, but I wanted to get your thoughts also!

gallery_29868_12717_3069.jpg

Let me know what you think guys!

I actually prefer the MK2, seems more deathguard to me. (Plus I hate the IF heads almost as much as the DG ones)

To second what DimDim said, the Mark 2 profile actually complements the mark 3 armor. It makes it look heavier almost. 

Love the look of the Mk2 helm.

Also, if you are nurglifying plastics to go with the forgeworld deathguard torsos, I found the following to be a pretty cool way of adding burst blisters to the metal. I put an actual clothes pin into a pin-vice and had a candle burning next to me as I worked on the conversions. I would heat up the pin in the candle and push it into the plastic, leaves a lovely little dimple with raised edges.

Dunno how it works with resin, but it really looks the part when it comes to plastics.

The Fists helm of course .

It's difficult, about 50/50 split atm!

I actually prefer the MK2, seems more deathguard to me. (Plus I hate the IF heads almost as much as the DG ones)

I can see what you mean. I may eventually do a mix. An easy thing to fix before painting at any rate!

To second what DimDim said, the Mark 2 profile actually complements the mark 3 armor. It makes it look heavier almost.

I agree, but the IF helm is beefier and looks like it could really take a beating!

Love the look of the Mk2 helm.

Also, if you are nurglifying plastics to go with the forgeworld deathguard torsos, I found the following to be a pretty cool way of adding burst blisters to the metal. I put an actual clothes pin into a pin-vice and had a candle burning next to me as I worked on the conversions. I would heat up the pin in the candle and push it into the plastic, leaves a lovely little dimple with raised edges.

Dunno how it works with resin, but it really looks the part when it comes to plastics.

I'd be really interested to see an example of this! Do you have a thread on here? I'm only using the champion torso from the FW corrupted DG set, I actually really don't like the other ones, and they don't totally fit the mk3 aesthetic I'm going for!

I like the mk2 helm personally. The Death Guard are still looking gooey good my friend!

They look excellent both pre and post Nurgle's touch. I also remember seeing a log a long time ago about the heated nails. The effects were quite good.

I'd be really interested to see an example of this! Do you have a thread on here? I'm only using the champion torso from the FW corrupted DG set, I actually really don't like the other ones, and they don't totally fit the mk3 aesthetic I'm going for!

image.jpg

Sure. Really old terrible photo, but you can see the blisters on the legs of the miniatures if you squint hard enough.

Your nurgle sculpting is seriously amazing! Would love to steal some of these ideas for future use. I also would vote for the mk II helmet over the IF helmet. Also to add onto darknation's idea, soldering pens or glue guns do great too for making burst blisters as well as hollowing out parts of the armor like the rotted away shoulderpad from nurgle sorceror on forgeworld. Looking foward to seeing more!

I like the mk2 helm personally. The Death Guard are still looking gooey good my friend!

They look excellent both pre and post Nurgle's touch. I also remember seeing a log a long time ago about the heated nails. The effects were quite good.

Will see about practicing that hot needle technique on some scrap plastic next week. Could be a great way to vary the putrefaction on the armour!

image.jpg

Sure. Really old terrible photo, but you can see the blisters on the legs of the miniatures if you squint hard enough.

From what I can see it looks grand! As said above I will test out the technique next week :) Thanks for the suggestion!

Your nurgle sculpting is seriously amazing! Would love to steal some of these ideas for future use. I also would vote for the mk II helmet over the IF helmet. Also to add onto darknation's idea, soldering pens or glue guns do great too for making burst blisters as well as hollowing out parts of the armor like the rotted away shoulderpad from nurgle sorceror on forgeworld. Looking foward to seeing more!

Thanks Vairocanum! Glad you like it! I need to pit the armour on every marine, but it's so damned tedious! Gah! I'm also impatient to get pics up on here for you guys to see. Believe me though, I go all out with detail on models and like to post various wip shots as I go!

Anyways chaps, across B&C, Instagram and my friends, I have come to a decision to use mk2 over the IF helm, and would like to unveil the work I've done today! This chap is only slightly favoured by the Lord of Decay, and thus only sports a fashionable horn that has speared through his lovely Astartes helm.

I have also included a picture of the back of the legs to show how I attempt to hide the 'true-scaling' of you could call it that. Not perfect by far but I'm happy with it.

gallery_29868_12717_120361.jpg

gallery_29868_12717_14421.jpg

gallery_29868_12717_22660.jpg

And lastly I need the help of the community again; which of the following CC weapons should give to the next Grave Warden? Thanks know advance. You should know I really appreciate the support and feedback you all provide!

gallery_29868_12717_187976.jpg

I like all of them except that last one on the right. The pick axe thing is lackluster compared to the swords and axes.

Personally I like the axe on the right best but the sword everyone else is mentioning would also be great.

Second to last... looks bulky as a Terminator weapon should. Great work so far, frater.

I figured also, have trimmed off the silly spikes and removed the stupid wooden handle, will hopefully post wip pics this week :) Thanks for the feedback brother!

Great stuff in here, I should come here more often.

I would choose one of the 2 last blades. Second to last has my favour.

Decided to go for that one, seems a popular choice! I should post updates at least every couple of days so come peruse whenever man! Always appreciate feedback :)

Great stuff all around. 

I second the opinion of the last two commenters: the second to last sword reeks (pun intended) of Nurglesque Terminator.

Love the pun! Glad you like the stuff, I try not to disappoint! :P

I like all of them except that last one on the right. The pick axe thing is lackluster compared to the swords and axes.

Personally I like the axe on the right best but the sword everyone else is mentioning would also be great.

I will slowly work through all of them I think. I decided on parts for my Praetor so need to go through the arduous task of remotely buying them from China to get shipped to me via family! Gah!

Good morning all,

I've been slowly working on Grave Wardens #2 & #3 as well as more tacticals (and my big, secret project XD) but have hit a slight snag and I was wondering if anyone in the community might be able to help, as this is a thread where I would like to go continually improve my skills and avoid cutting corners where possible.

No 'chabuduo' as the Chinese would say'!

So, I need to sculpt some realistic entrails spilling out of the stomach of the chap I will post further down this post. I want them to be barely contained from slopping on the deck by a chain. Just to complicate matters further, I need to learn how to sculpt chainmail in a totally different way, like this;

gallery_29868_12717_127010.jpg

I have sent a message to Keith Robertson, who was sculpted that fantastic range, and even gotten a friend who works at HQ in Nottingham to give him a nudge when he sees him, but so far nada!

Seeing the vast range of talents on his page, I thought surely someone must be able to help me in my hour of need?! Any advice would be most helpful (for the record, I have no issues with the standard pin/alternating pattern technique, so please don't suggest this!)

Anywho, here is the second Grave Warden I have been working on. He requires some more work and a rad (excuse the pun!) backstory, but I'm happy with how he's looking so far. I only wish the Cataphractii plastic sprue had more fragging left CC arms!

gallery_29868_12717_752067.jpg

gallery_29868_12717_587516.jpg

gallery_29868_12717_874583.jpg

And a nice closeup of his head;

gallery_29868_12717_70523.jpg

As ever, and feedback greatly appreciated!

Good evening all!

I have been tinkering away the last couple of days, working on more DG tacticals and Grave Wardens (and trying to get hold of bits for a Delegatus in Artificier armour for my ZM force).

In my last post (that got no love! :'( ) I asked for some sculpting advice for wide gauge chainmail to match the Grave Wardens shoulderpads as best possible. Now this ain't perfect, but it's the best damned chainmail I've sculpted, so I'm pretty proud of myself. In addition, I know that I should improve this technique throughout the course of this project/thread;

gallery_29868_12717_246829.jpg

As well as DG I've been giving some Space Wolves some love. The idea with my XIIIth Legion is to be able to field detachments from Iron Hands, Space Wolves, Blood Angels and Imperial Fists, who's Primarchs were in a group Guilliman called the 'Dauntless Few' on account of their reliability, loyalty and diligence.

I started these chaps when I first got to China (four months ago! Blimey!) with the idea of them representing a portion of the 'Watch Pack' sent by Malcador the Sigilite, before the Heresy had even begun, to Macragge to keep a close eye on the loyalty of Guilliman and his empire in the Ultima Segmentum.

The Sigilite was anxious that Guilliman's ambitions, obviously very far reaching, would affect his loyalty to his father, the Emperor of Mankind, and thus sent the Emperor's executioners, perhaps the most loyal and unquestioning of his legions, to keep tabs on Roboute.

I for one never questioned Guilliman's devotion to enacting his father's will, and seeing his vision of a unified Imperium that spanned the galaxy come into.being. But many did and still do! (scoundrels!).

So, Faffnr Bludbroder and his men were dispatched to Macragge to sniff out any heresy. I won't spoil the story for those who haven't read 'Unremembered Empire', which imo is a great book that you should pick up. I will however introduce you to Faffnr and four of his men;

Group shot;

gallery_29868_12743_1575215.jpg

Faffnr Bludbroder, Pack Master of the Space Wolves;

gallery_29868_12743_786288.jpg

gallery_29868_12743_865576.jpg

gallery_29868_12743_122671.jpg

gallery_29868_12743_230974.jpg

gallery_29868_12743_363098.jpg

gallery_29868_12743_609775.jpg

gallery_29868_12743_304593.jpg

gallery_29868_12743_515533.jpg

I hope you enjoy! C&C welcome!

Whoa, those are some fierce-looking Wolves! Great use of the Ashen Circle legs, they work surprisingly well with the Wolf torsos upgrades.

For the chainmail on that Grave Warden, have you considered trying to make a press-mold of the other shoulder? That might be the best way to get a matching effect if you're not sure about sculpting it from scratch.

The wolves look great! Definitely like the use of bits and the flowing poses they have. Very well executed.

I also wish I could help with sculpting but my skills are pre-pre-pre-sculpting 101. I do say the new Grave Warden is off to a fantastic start.

Archived