The Anvils of Konor - Champion Grune Thrael painted!

Capt. Jack

Coming on really nicely, as I mentioned on Insta, all the modifications you're making are really setting it apart as its own unit.

Thanks fella! I must ask, do you prefer my content as it appears on Instagram or in the form of this hobby blog?

I would say that I appreciate the two platforms in different ways; here on the forum I can see bigger shots and get a look-in on your thoughts, the design process and also other folks' interactions and comments with your work, which are all valuable. Over on Insta, I can get a quick hobby fix on the go and see more frequent updates with different points of view on smaller areas of your work. You're continuing to smash this project, the dread's looking completely different to the boring stock model, one would never guess that's the source of origin now.

I really like what you've done with your Cortus conversion! It's much cooler than the official model, in my opinion -- the latter just seems pretty underwhelming to me, to be honest. The railing parts on the torso are possibly my favourite touch. I'd advise you to go back to the DG head, though: The new one is closer to the "official" look, true, but it also brings along some of the official model's blandness.

If I may just pipe up on the forum vs. Instagram question, whatever you do, please keep updating this blog on top of any possible Instagram shenanigans, alright? It would be a shame not to get the ongoing in-depth look at your work and thought process over here.

In any case, keep up the fantastic work! :)

I agree with kraut on the head change, i recon the first head you had gave the model more character. This model really is looking amazing, top workmanship. Really liking all the cabling and detail you are adding to the model. Hope you keep us posted on here, always great to see inspirational work

Morning all!

A few more tweaks on the Cortus this evening - added cabling between the arms and the torsos, a couple by the groin and then removed and drilled out the exhaust stacks.

Still a few *tiny* adjustments to make, including finding a more unique promethium/chem cannister (suggestions welcome!), adding a little detail to the pistons, and then finally just cleaning up any imperfections on the model and base.

I decided not to add external cabling to the CC arm as it would've messed with the aesthetic too much, and also, somewhat controversially I've swapped the DG dread head for a Leviathan head very kindly sent by @crusadeandheresy.

As such, I will probably call this chap 'Lhex' in honour of the sender!

The next time you see 'Lhex', he will at the very least have some Legion colours on him!

Death to the False Emperor!

http://i67.tinypic.com/2uo402c.jpg

http://i67.tinypic.com/dqm5pu.jpg

http://i66.tinypic.com/23itjjt.jpg

http://i64.tinypic.com/rbb411.jpg

http://i68.tinypic.com/2affsz6.jpg

Great blend of materials and techniques. I look forward to seeing more of this.

Thanks SD! This has been an extremely enjoyable project, and it's been great to see how people have reacted to it, especially in the absence of an 'official' model.

Really, much like MKV armour, I don't think there should be a stock offering. Instead, people should be encouraged to cobble together mismatched bits and pieces to best outline the desperation felt on both sides during the HH.

I will definately be making a brother for this bad boy!

Coming on really nicely, as I mentioned on Insta, all the modifications you're making are really setting it apart as its own unit.

Thanks fella! I must ask, do you prefer my content as it appears on Instagram or in the form of this hobby blog?

I would say that I appreciate the two platforms in different ways; here on the forum I can see bigger shots and get a look-in on your thoughts, the design process and also other folks' interactions and comments with your work, which are all valuable. Over on Insta, I can get a quick hobby fix on the go and see more frequent updates with different points of view on smaller areas of your work. You're continuing to smash this project, the dread's looking completely different to the boring stock model, one would never guess that's the source of origin now.

Many thanks brother! I had guessed B&C would dominate in terms of picture size/resolution, but it's nice to know. I expect B&C is more nuanced and is arguably for more diehard fans?!

Yes... YES. This thing looks like it tore it's way out of the Tech-Priest's workshop and started walking through the ship gibbing dudes.

Precisely the look I wanted! Many thanks!

Poor, poor tech priests...

I really like what you've done with your Cortus conversion! It's much cooler than the official model, in my opinion -- the latter just seems pretty underwhelming to me, to be honest. The railing parts on the torso are possibly my favourite touch. I'd advise you to go back to the DG head, though: The new one is closer to the "official" look, true, but it also brings along some of the official model's blandness.

If I may just pipe up on the forum vs. Instagram question, whatever you do, please keep updating this blog on top of any possible Instagram shenanigans, alright? It would be a shame not to get the ongoing in-depth look at your work and thought process over here.

In any case, keep up the fantastic work! :)

Thanks dude! I was really torn about which head to use, but as you can see I stuck with the Leviathan in the end, as I find it a little more aesthetically pleasing, and you could argue that it's a genuine Leviathan head salvaged for reuse! Don't worry though, what do you expect I'll be doing with the DG head?!

As for keeping this thread up to date, I was endeavour to do so! I enjoy how vocal and supportive the B&C community is!

Have to agree with Krauty on this, the DG head looks 10times cooler than the leviathan? Head. Much more fitting for the overall look and background of the cortus!!

I really have to say this is one of my favourite of your projects, it's always exciting to see it progress further!

Thanks Eidolon! As mentioned above, I just preferred the Leviathan head slightly over the original.

I hope you like the most recent additions, and furthermore I hope I don't mess this guy up with a poor paint job!

I agree with kraut on the head change, i recon the first head you had gave the model more character. This model really is looking amazing, top workmanship. Really liking all the cabling and detail you are adding to the model. Hope you keep us posted on here, always great to see inspirational work

The three of you dissenting against my head choice has sealed the deal for a second Cortus project. Be proud!

Thanks for the kind words. I ended up going far further than I thought I would with this chap, and I'm really pleased with how he's turned out, especially from such humble origins!

You've done a great job, I'm looking forward to seeing you tackle another one. I actually think the Leviathan head really looks the part and think you made the right choice keeping it.

I would agree regarding the B&C and also echo Kraut in saying that if it came down to it, the forum will always beat Insta for an interface with your works.

You are legend, brother. 

I love what you've done with what is otherwise an uninspiring hunk of plastic... it's extremely impressive and hard to believe it started life as... that. The cabling and pistons look great, in fact I've gone and ordered up the rolling kit from Greenstuff World because of your thread.

As far as a better promethium tank... I've used the tanks from the Renegade Militia Ogryn for various different tanks, be it oxygen or, relative to this, a fuel tank for one of my Contemptors. 

There's also Zinge Industry who has a ton of stuff. A quick search found these, and with a little modification I'm sure you could make something proper:

https://www.zinge.co.uk/collections/scenery-accessories/products/small-gas-canisters-cylinders-or-propane-tanks-sprue-of-5

They may have something better but I'm not 100% sure. 

There's also Ramshackle which while some of their stuff isn't as detailed as would be preferred, something like a fuel tank for a flamer should be acceptable:

http://shop.ramshacklegames.co.uk/index.php?id_category=33&controller=category

On the IG vs Forum question:

Instagram and Facebook are definitely easier to digest channels of media for hobby projects and conversion showcases. Facebook has a larger pool of potential commentators, and as long as your IG links your FB page you can generate traffic forums just can’t compete with. There’s something

Like 50-60K BnC members over the past fifteen years, and the front page of the WIP forums only has a few standout logs, as opposed to IG where I can see your work, follow a Facebook link to in depth bits part answers or video tutorials or tool lists, all with links. On the BnC there’s barely any feedback and most of the commenting stays between posters of similar abilities or friend groups. Essentially the forums can be platforms to drive traffic to your IG and Facebook but as someone put it in the news and rumors forum said to me a while back ‘no one cares about your logs with different pictures of five guys over and over again’.

Edit for clarity: the ‘you’ that poster is talking about is the general you, not Cpt. Jack.

That looks great! The leviathan head also meshes well with all the conversions you have done!

I also love the extra cabling around the gut. Makes me think he will look like his fleshy brethren with their innards hanging out from gouges in their armor as time and rot progress.

Great work mate, the pistons and cabling really bulk out the legs giving it that “limited resource” feel without messing with the anatomical proportions of the contemptor chasis. IMHO the head swap was a good choice, it seems to fill the space better and the simplicity of the helmet helps to balance the detail on the torso.

It reminds me of the OOP iron hands contemptor, but with a little more visual interest. On a side note, I may have some spare contemptor claws somewhere, let me know if you want to them.

Cadmus

Outstanding! Your attention to detail is incredible.

Many thanks Brother! You're too kind!

You've done a great job, I'm looking forward to seeing you tackle another one. I actually think the Leviathan head really looks the part and think you made the right choice keeping it.

I would agree regarding the B&C and also echo Kraut in saying that if it came down to it, the forum will always beat Insta for an interface with your works.

Thank you squire!

I like the level of commitment required and provided by the B&C and its users. People are much more eager to weigh in, which is invaluable when I need in depth feedback that would be rare on Facebook and non existent on Instagram.

You are legend, brother. 

I love what you've done with what is otherwise an uninspiring hunk of plastic... it's extremely impressive and hard to believe it started life as... that. The cabling and pistons look great, in fact I've gone and ordered up the rolling kit from Greenstuff World because of your thread.

As far as a better promethium tank... I've used the tanks from the Renegade Militia Ogryn for various different tanks, be it oxygen or, relative to this, a fuel tank for one of my Contemptors. 

There's also Zinge Industry who has a ton of stuff. A quick search found these, and with a little modification I'm sure you could make something proper:

https://www.zinge.co.uk/collections/scenery-accessories/products/small-gas-canisters-cylinders-or-propane-tanks-sprue-of-5

They may have something better but I'm not 100% sure. 

There's also Ramshackle which while some of their stuff isn't as detailed as would be preferred, something like a fuel tank for a flamer should be acceptable:

http://shop.ramshacklegames.co.uk/index.php?id_category=33&controller=category

Many thanks sir!

And thanks for the links too! Though intimately I went for a rank from the Plague Marines boxed set from a plague spitter. You'll see when I start getting some paint down!

Instagram and Facebook are definitely easier to digest channels of media for hobby projects and conversion showcases. Facebook has a larger pool of potential commentators, and as long as your IG links your FB page you can generate traffic forums just can’t compete with. There’s something

Like 50-60K BnC members over the past fifteen years, and the front page of the WIP forums only has a few standout logs, as opposed to IG where I can see your work, follow a Facebook link to in depth bits part answers or video tutorials or tool lists, all with links. On the BnC there’s barely any feedback and most of the commenting stays between posters of similar abilities or friend groups. Essentially the forums can be platforms to drive traffic to your IG and Facebook but as someone put it in the news and rumors forum said to me a while back ‘no one cares about your logs with different pictures of five guys over and over again’.

Edit for clarity: the ‘you’ that poster is talking about is the general you, not Cpt. Jack.

Your opinion is certainly welcome brother!

I certainly agree regarding pictures 'over and over again', though I do feel a pang of guilt whenever I repost old work when I have nothing current to offer!

That looks great! The leviathan head also meshes well with all the conversions you have done!

I also love the extra cabling around the gut. Makes me think he will look like his fleshy brethren with their innards hanging out from gouges in their armor as time and rot progress.

That's a very good point I hadn't thought of! Thanks for the kind words.

Great work mate, the pistons and cabling really bulk out the legs giving it that “limited resource” feel without messing with the anatomical proportions of the contemptor chasis. IMHO the head swap was a good choice, it seems to fill the space better and the simplicity of the helmet helps to balance the detail on the torso.

It reminds me of the OOP iron hands contemptor, but with a little more visual interest. On a side note, I may have some spare contemptor claws somewhere, let me know if you want to them.

Cadmus

Thank you sir! I definitely drew inspiration from the Iron Hands contemptor re: cabling.

I'm very much looking forward to the next Cortus project! Those spares will come in handy indeed! Cheers!

Solid work bud, keep it up!

BCC

Many thanks squire! ☺

The three of you dissenting against my head choice has sealed the deal for a second Cortus project. Be proud!

Thanks for the kind words. I ended up going far further than I thought I would with this chap, and I'm really pleased with how he's turned out, especially from such humble origins!

Huh. The easy solution would just be to, you know, return to the DG head in the first place. Just sayin' :wink:

That being said, if you are committed to building another kick-arse Contemptor model, I ain't complainin' :smile.:

Hmm, do people actually comment on Facebook or Instagram, though? I mostly see lots and lots of Likes and hearts and very few instances of actually engaging with the content. Which is something I already tend to find pretty tiring when it happens over here, on the forum, and I think it's arguably even worse on the social networks. Unless the artist in question is spectacularly talented, in case of which people can actually be bothered to comment. But hobbyists that talented will usually draw comments wherever they post, so yeah...

Anyway, I don't mean to derail the thread. Just my two cents.

No offence, but that someone on the news and rumours should speak for themselves. I actually enjoy engaging with a fellow frater who asks for feedback, processes it, and posts a picture showing the slight difference, asking for feedback again. I also couldn't give a flying rat's ass about 'traffic'. Facebook can be a cesspool of negativity and salt, while this forum (except for the news and rumours section maybe) is constructive and positive. I'd trade a single comment from a frater here on B&C with 100 likes on facebook any day of the week. It's a matter of taste, I guess. 

Morning chaps!

Make a start to Barduk Ghorr, my Praetor, and a squad of Grave Wardens yesterday.

Today I hope to pick out the metallics, sort decals, varnish and then start work with some washes. Then the models should really start to pop!

Decided to pick out the Wardens as elites with bronze shoulderpad trim, which should also add to the palette once I've added some oxidisation.

Would be splendid to get these fellas finished by the end of next week. I'm planning on painting up my militia between mid April and mid May, for the 'Remidium Alpha' narrative event at Firestorm Games. That should add some nice variety to the force! (at only 2 points a model it might end up being rather soul destroying!)

http://i68.tinypic.com/e6ac02.jpg

Huh. The easy solution would just be to, you know, return to the DG head in the first place. Just sayin' ;)

That being said, if you are committed to building another kick-arse Contemptor model, I ain't complainin' :)

Hmm, do people actually comment on Facebook or Instagram, though? I mostly see lots and lots of Likes and hearts and very few instances of actually engaging with the content. Which is something I already tend to find pretty tiring when it happens over here, on the forum, and I think it's arguably even worse on the social networks. Unless the artist in question is spectacularly talented, in case of which people can actually be bothered to comment. But hobbyists that talented will usually draw comments wherever they post, so yeah...

Anyway, I don't mean to derail the thread. Just my two cents.

Thanks bud, I'll try not to disappoint!

No offence, but that someone on the news and rumours should speak for themselves. I actually enjoy engaging with a fellow frater who asks for feedback, processes it, and posts a picture showing the slight difference, asking for feedback again. I also couldn't give a flying rat's ass about 'traffic'. Facebook can be a cesspool of negativity and salt, while this forum (except for the news and rumours section maybe) is constructive and positive. I'd trade a single comment from a frater here on B&C with 100 likes on facebook any day of the week. It's a matter of taste, I guess.

Facebook hobbyists definately seem a lot less invested and more impulsive and fickle than either Instagram or B&C. Most 'normie tier' hobbyists populate FB, with increasing dedication/support shown as you go through Instagram and eventually end up in these pages, which arguably contains the most dedicated echelon of fan.

As such I take any reaction to posts on Facebook with a pinch of salt, though obviously still valued!

Oh, those termies look great! They have the poise and menace to them!

I really like the looks of the heavy flamer. Something about his bits and pose really show off a brute that should not be messed with.

Evening denizens of the B&C!

Had a cracking sculpting session after work including some more work I did on Calas Typhon, specifically his midriff.

I tried to emulate the original sculpt as best possible, and though it isn't perfect, I'm pretty happy with the results.

I've rolled out some GS on my little cable maker, and will measure up tomorrow morning once cured to see how it'll look to add some external cabling where they feature on the stock pose. If they don't look right I'll leave them off.

Other than the soft armpit armour and finishing off his wrist mounted flamer, this cheeky chappy will be ready for paint!

As ever, keen to hear your thoughts!

http://i66.tinypic.com/246qi3o.jpg

Before I forget, I looked back through the log but didn't spot it - what did you make the bonding studs/rivets on the dreadnaught leg from? Sorry if you already said and I didn't catch it.

Hey dude, they're manufactured by a company called 'Grandt Line', and purchased on a UK website called 'Antinocitis Workshop'. Really useful bits of kit!

I really like the looks of the heavy flamer. Something about his bits and pose really show off a brute that should not be messed with.

Thanks buddy! I had a lot of fun making these dudes. Gonna spend some time tarting them up tomorrow! ☺

Evening denizens of the B&C!

Had a cracking sculpting session after work including some more work I did on Calas Typhon, specifically his midriff.

I tried to emulate the original sculpt as best possible, and though it isn't perfect, I'm pretty happy with the results.

I've rolled out some GS on my little cable maker, and will measure up tomorrow morning once cured to see how it'll look to add some external cabling where they feature on the stock pose. If they don't look right I'll leave them off.

Other than the soft armpit armour and finishing off his wrist mounted flamer, this cheeky chappy will be ready for paint!

As ever, keen to hear your thoughts!

http://i66.tinypic.com/246qi3o.jpg

Before I forget, I looked back through the log but didn't spot it - what did you make the bonding studs/rivets on the dreadnaught leg from? Sorry if you already said and I didn't catch it.

Hey dude, they're manufactured by a company called 'Grandt Line', and purchased on a UK website called 'Antinocitis Workshop'. Really useful bits of kit!

Thanks buddy! I had a lot of fun making these dudes. Gonna spend some time tarting them up tomorrow! ☺

Thanks for the help! Amazing soft armor, too. Looks like a solid mix of the standardized ribbed space suit aesthetic you see on certain GW models!

Evening all!

Been on the case this week with plenty of personal projects and commissions being worked on.

I'm delighted to say I manged to get First Captain Calas Typhon done and ready for paint!

You will no doubt have seen WiPs I've posted of Mortarion proxy, but I wanted your feedback on the finished article.

I decided against any additional details on the front of the waist in the end, as I feel adding cabling would have detracted from the ribbed armour. Throne knows he already has enough cabling on him!

Really pleased with how this project turned out. This is after Istvaan V when Typhon, unlike his liege decided to dabble in warp craft and re-hone his psychic abilities.

Not the corrupted soul we know of in the 40k universe, yet still clearly affected by the wicked power he draws from the warp the the denizens therein, his body gaunt yet filled with an unnatural vitality.

http://i68.tinypic.com/2po6pl1.jpg

http://i68.tinypic.com/efjktu.jpg

http://i65.tinypic.com/20hnj80.jpg

http://i63.tinypic.com/2nqgp3d.jpg

@MarshalRohr - Glad to be of assistance, and I'm really pleased you like the waist detailing!

Evening all!

Been on the case this week with plenty of personal projects and commissions being worked on.

I'm delighted to say I manged to get First Captain Calas Typhon done and ready for paint!

You will no doubt have seen WiPs I've posted of Mortarion proxy, but I wanted your feedback on the finished article.

I decided against any additional details on the front of the waist in the end, as I feel adding cabling would have detracted from the ribbed armour. Throne knows he already has enough cabling on him!

Really pleased with how this project turned out. This is after Istvaan V when Typhon, unlike his liege decided to dabble in warp craft and re-hone his psychic abilities.

Not the corrupted soul we know of in the 40k universe, yet still clearly affected by the wicked power he draws from the warp the the denizens therein, his body gaunt yet filled with an unnatural vitality.

http://i68.tinypic.com/2po6pl1.jpg

http://i68.tinypic.com/efjktu.jpg

http://i65.tinypic.com/20hnj80.jpg

http://i63.tinypic.com/2nqgp3d.jpg

@MarshalRohr - Glad to be of assistance, and I'm really pleased you like the waist detailing!

Inspiring conversion!

Archived