The Anvils of Konor - Champion Grune Thrael painted!

Capt. Jack

Thiel is sweet! I love every inch of the conversion and sculpting but the most eye catching thing for me is his strut. Seeing that range of motion on a mini looks great! Pity he fights for the wrong side of the war.

As for cutting back on drinking. No. Big no there. However, invest in one of those 'beer helmets' so you can keep drinking and your hands are free for dice rolling and snapping pics. Problem solved, amigo!

Thanks dude! I totally get where you're coming from, and agree about the reds as a starker contrast to the other colours on the models, but I needed a quick, premixed colour to work from that wouldn't take too long to perfect. In essence, I've been a little lazy!

With the Grave Wardens admittedly I rushed the metals to get them done for an event a couple of weeks ago, but I'll revisit them soon!

So, erm, any chance of you going back to the models and adding that extra bit of awesome? Pretty please...? ;)

Thiel is looking fantastic! He still needs his little guard fellow, though ;)

Hey guys,

Sorry I've been quiet for a little while. I have been immensely busy and productive though, so wanted to share a little of what I've been up to with you today!

I decided to take the BaC Cataphractii Captain and turn him into a Deathshroud 'prime' (all DS are equal but I wanted one special dude. Plus, screw buying three boxes to field 7!).

Really happy with his this guy came out, and I hope you all are you! C&C welcome, as ever!

~ Hand selected from the finest warriors among the Legion by the Death Lord himself, the Deathshroud were the elite bodyguard cadre of the XIVth Legion.

Chosen for their martial ability, fearlessness and monstrous endurance on the battlefield, the Deathshroud never strayed more than 49 steps from their gene-sire, ever silent in their anonymity, their identities kept secret from the moment they took up their iconic Manreaper Scythes and donned their durable Cataphractii plate.

During the years following the Warmaster's betrayal and the XIVth Legion's steady corruption by the Lord of Decay, the traditions adopted by the Deathshroud slowly eroded, along with the minds of chosen making up its numbers. With this, the need to withhold identities was swept away, though the duty to the Primarch remained. ~

http://i64.tinypic.com/a0jmdc.jpg

http://i63.tinypic.com/5n0krt.jpg

http://i64.tinypic.com/16kngo3.jpg

http://i65.tinypic.com/ixquet.jpg

http://i67.tinypic.com/oupr1f.jpg

http://i63.tinypic.com/i36iwy.jpg

http://i65.tinypic.com/rcmz4p.jpg

Thiel is sweet! I love every inch of the conversion and sculpting but the most eye catching thing for me is his strut. Seeing that range of motion on a mini looks great! Pity he fights for the wrong side of the war.

As for cutting back on drinking. No. Big no there. However, invest in one of those 'beer helmets' so you can keep drinking and your hands are free for dice rolling and snapping pics. Problem solved, amigo!

Glad you like Thiel! He took too much time to do IMHO, I kept putting bits off, but ultimately I'm very happy with how he turned out!

I could never quit beer, just have to drink lower ABV stuff if I have any hopes of clinging onto strategy!

The sense of motion in the pose and the greenstuff details are really well done; another cracking job!

Thanks dude! ☺

The Cortus and Wardens look fantastic. Great conversion and paintwork and great palette. The oxidised copper is a nice touch. How did you do the weathering for your Wardens?

After I've sorted the airbrushing and metals out, I'll seal everything in with a coat of lacquer, before doing a full wish of Agrax gloss and Devlan Mud. When that's dried ill sponge weather the colours accordingly, then with rhinox hide, then I'll add pin washes and oil streaks using oil paints and white spirit.

The rusted steel is by using pigments (track rust) mixed with fixer to make a paste, then gradually removed with a white spirit soaked qtip to get the metallics to show through.

Thanks dude! I totally get where you're coming from, and agree about the reds as a starker contrast to the other colours on the models, but I needed a quick, premixed colour to work from that wouldn't take too long to perfect. In essence, I've been a little lazy!

With the Grave Wardens admittedly I rushed the metals to get them done for an event a couple of weeks ago, but I'll revisit them soon!

So, erm, any chance of you going back to the models and adding that extra bit of awesome? Pretty please...? ;)

Thiel is looking fantastic! He still needs his little guard fellow, though ;)

I'll have to see when I can sort the extra details out!

I'll be making the guard dude soon ☺

Oh man! That’s probably the best use of that plastic terminator leader I’ve seen! I think it’s the only conversion I’ve seen where he is facing left too. So that’s two gold stars!

That extra height adds to the bulk and intimidation factor! How does he stack up with other terminators and power armor marines?

The Praetor is looking really promising! Excellent work!

If I can make one small suggestion - and this is a bit of a pet peeve of mine about this particular stock model - cutting the right leg apart above the knee and rotating it inwards by a couple of degrees renders the whole stance about a hundred percent less pidgeon-toed. Like so:

we-cataphractii-praetor-wip-9.jpg

I've just read the thread from start to finish (so far) and boy do I feel like selling my soul to Chaos circa M31. These concoctions you've came up with are astoundingly amazing! Can't wait to see where this continues to go.

I just powered through this whole thread and bookmarked all the tutorials. Holy crap this is awesome. Obviously, being an EC guy I like them more, but the rest of your work is phenomenal.

How do you do the intricate scroll work on the armor? 

• 5 months later...

Morning all!

During my absence from the thread, I have been a busy boy! My XIVth Legion now weighs in at 3.8k fully painted, with a view to expand to approx 6k by the end of the year!

I have a game scheduled on the 30k Channel against the prodigious Lil' Legend and his gorgeous Blood Angels, and my submission today will play a pivotal role in the narrative of the upcoming game!

Loosely based off of the old 2nd Edition Plague Marine Champion (pictured below), I wanted to break a little from the standard look of my Death Guard and allow this chap a little flair befitting his role in the Company. I hope you find this embellishment fitting!

So, without further ado, may I present Grune Thrael, 5th Company Champion;

~ Born into one of the many oppressed human settlements of the death world Barbarus, Grune Thrael was only a boy when Mortarion eventually discovered the poison free valleys populated with his kin.

When the Death Lord began making the necessary preparations to overthrow the alien warlocks who had preyed upon them, Grune was eager to impress the saviour of his people.

He tirelessly trained in the arts of war, soaking up every morsel of information and advice available to him, determined to do his utmost to aid in the impending onslaught that would eradicate the mist shrouded mountain citadels beyond recall.

He became adept with the blade, especially the traditional Barbarusian great sword, and exhibited extraordinary flair when it came to single combat, quickly rising to the position by Mortarion’s side as champion.

When the Emperor eventually found the XIVth Primarch, and the last of the Xenos tyrants was dispatched, Grune was a prime candidate for the complicated and risky processes required to become an post human.

He maintained the position as Mortarion’s blade, representing the Death Guard throughout the Great Crusade in ceremonial combat that became tradition between Legions campaigning together.

Famously he paired with Duriel of the Blood Angels in a paired duel aboard the World Eaters flagship the Conqueror, some fifty years before the Heresy. Together, Grune and Duriel remained undefeated, their styles and favoured weaponry complimenting each other superbly.

The brotherhood that was established during this time across such different Legions was rare, and the source of Grune's singular sorrow when Mortarion threw his lot in with the Warmaster and Legion was pitted against Legion. ~

http://i66.tinypic.com/2ed7dyg.jpg

http://i64.tinypic.com/2jbkygz.jpg

http://i65.tinypic.com/t62uqv.jpg

http://i66.tinypic.com/25q5hqp.jpg

http://i63.tinypic.com/l86td.jpg

http://i65.tinypic.com/2dawsgo.jpg

I shall endeavour to submit posts more frequently, and look forward to showing you the marines Grune will be running with.

Death to the False Emperor!

Consider me tuned in! Looking forward to updates!

Hope this doesn't disappoint!

I cannot tell you how pleased I am to see your return to Bolter & Chainsword, brother. I've been following your progress when I can on your Facebook page and your occasional posts on the Inquisitorium, I hope you post some of your past and completed work on here as well.

Your updates never disappoint and seeing you post another awesome mini made my day!

Grune is awesome in so many ways. As always great conversions and sculpting and I love seeing the inspiration behind your work. I especially love the specter of death on his gut and the use and posing of that sword and the scabbard with the cloak resting on its end!

Lovely, lovely character. I'm impressed by your ability to use the Death Guard cuirass and make it look like it's just a dented piece of archaic armour, instead of signifying a corrupted, bloated belly. That's some fine work! Also, that shoulder pad with the legion symbol... so much detail! Paint it! 

Great to see you back at it. Awesome mini, but I'm curious as to what time-period he is set in, since his stomach is clearly bloated but he doesn't have other mutations. So... early heresy?

Could be pre-Heresy, as Death Guard had that design of armour even before they were corrupted.

Plus, the final part makes it sound like he's not exactly a traitor....

I cannot tell you how pleased I am to see your return to Bolter & Chainsword, brother. I've been following your progress when I can on your Facebook page and your occasional posts on the Inquisitorium, I hope you post some of your past and completed work on here as well.

Delighted to be back brother! I have plenty to keep you chaps entertained with, from the last 6 months!

Your updates never disappoint and seeing you post another awesome mini made my day!

Grune is awesome in so many ways. As always great conversions and sculpting and I love seeing the inspiration behind your work. I especially love the specter of death on his gut and the use and posing of that sword and the scabbard with the cloak resting on its end!

You're too kind, sir! Im glad you appreciated the little details I added to Grune! Will post his Herald bestie soon!

Great to see you back at it. Awesome mini, but I'm curious as to what time-period he is set in, since his stomach is clearly bloated but he doesn't have other mutations. So... early heresy?

Thanks buddy. I wanted to depict mid-late Heresy, around the time the 5th Great Company have made rendezvous, half gifted by Nurgle, the other half yet to come under his influence.

Lovely, lovely character. I'm impressed by your ability to use the Death Guard cuirass and make it look like it's just a dented piece of archaic armour, instead of signifying a corrupted, bloated belly. That's some fine work! Also, that shoulder pad with the legion symbol... so much detail! Paint it!

Glad you're a fan! Really looking forwards to panting this fella in the coming weeks

Brilliant! I love that guy, so much character. He's got an almost royal vibe. You should do a post heresy version too, 100% corrupt and with that awesome ww1 helmet of the original mini:)

That's not a bad idea! No doubt I'd get distracted before I ever got to the stage of making one!

Could be pre-Heresy, as Death Guard had that design of armour even before they were corrupted.

Plus, the final part makes it sound like he's not exactly a traitor....

As I said above, I'm aiming for mid-late. The wheels have long since been set in motion but it is often difficult to ignore the bonds and oaths of the past. No doubt this chap will soon succumb to the gifts of the warp!

Archived