The Anvils of Konor - Champion Grune Thrael painted!

Capt. Jack

Whoa, those are some fierce-looking Wolves! Great use of the Ashen Circle legs, they work surprisingly well with the Wolf torsos upgrades.

For the chainmail on that Grave Warden, have you considered trying to make a press-mold of the other shoulder? That might be the best way to get a matching effect if you're not sure about sculpting it from scratch.

Thanks drakzilla! They're extremely dynamic; perfect for Wolves!

Regarding press mold, I really want to learn these techniques and not take any shortcuts. Additional, there is some depth to the links that I think would be lost in a press mold! Good idea though :)

The wolves look great! Definitely like the use of bits and the flowing poses they have. Very well executed.

I also wish I could help with sculpting but my skills are pre-pre-pre-sculpting 101. I do say the new Grave Warden is off to a fantastic start.

Thanks Hushrong. Russ would approve of you use of the word 'executed'! I hope to post up any weird and wonderful techniques I learn on here, and if enough people are interested, work on some tutorials to spread the love!

Awesome work, lots of stuff to get inspired by. I love the sculpting and the true scale work is looking sweet, none of the wonky proportions that many get. Good luck getting sculpting tips though, seems like you've got a black belt already:)

Haha! Thanks and thanks! I've always boosted the shin (and waist on Cataphractii), for some extra height, and sometimes repose the sometimes comically wide stances GW give some of their marines, which also gives them a boost.

I love the world some people put into their true-scaling efforts, but it's maybe a little too time consuming and costly for me! Not to mention how bad you would feel when you opponent eyes start welling up because his marines look like tau in comparison! :D

I need to keep practicing every day if I'm going to be good enough to start my own business!

The chainmail looks ace, but those wolves look amazing! I really like the chainsword guy, looking forward to seeing your take on other legions.

Thanks Vairocanum! The chainsword guy was a last minute arm swap and hey presto!

I want this thread to contain any weird and wonderful projects that take my fancy, so expect some variety!

Delegatus of the Death Guard 5th Great Company, 23rd Company, Barduk Ghorr had served previously as a Librarian within the Dusk Raiders before the discovery of Mortarion, whose loathing of sorcery brought immediate prohibition to it's uses Legion-wide.

Following the catastrophic gellar-field failure aboard the Scythe's Edge, Ghorr unleashed his suppressed abilities to tremendous effect, fighting with every ounce of his will and stamina in an effort to protect his sworn battle-brothers.

Seeing such talent and stubborn resolve, Father Nurgle smiled; he had found a new son to grant his affections and blessings to.

And so a pact was sealed, between the Lord of Decay and Ghorr; one would gain a capable, loyal pawn to wreak plague and contagion across the galaxy, and the other the unworldy gift of extreme vitality, toughness and strength without the price of being a vessel to Nurgle's rot.

gallery_29868_12717_264551.jpg

gallery_29868_12717_414171.jpg

This chap kinda came out of nowhere! Was reposing some Grave Warden legs and decided that they would be suitable for an HQ/Character, so I tinkered with my ZM list so it would work and got to work!

I'm very pleased with the result (still needs work on hands, legs and base), and had some help with the process and fluff from some really skilled hobbyists I'm friends with :)

Very keen to hear what you guys think!

Good job on the Wolves and the Plague Marines.

Thanks Bjorn! Always happy to get feedback! What other Legions would you like to see?

Stunning work on the Terminators, but extra kudos for using Ashen Circle on the Wolves, that is pretty inspired!! I love the models and am happy to see them used; you don't see many conversions from them!

Thanks Eidolon! High praise indeed from such a vaunted member of the Emperor's Children!

With so many excellent hobbyists out there it can be very challenging to come up with unique and interesting ideas! One of the reasons I'm trying to push my sculpting this year, so I can make real any idea in my head!

What would you like to see me do in the future? Your beloved 3rd?

Evening Brothers!

Been doing some little bits and pieces today; truing to finish off some of the larger conversions on the Grave Wardens (almost got 3 made but need to finish off an arm and some guts before unveiling properly!) and been grinding away at some tactical/veteran marines.

Thought I'd do a little WiP Squad pic and introduce you to some new brothers. In fact, I could do with some help picking out suitable names for them!

Squad pic (90's grunge album cover);

gallery_29868_12717_1175178.jpg

Brother Unicorn;

gallery_29868_12717_329806.jpg

Brother 'my armour is falling apart';

gallery_29868_12717_379074.jpg

And finally my recent favourite, Brother Attitude;

gallery_29868_12717_113904.jpg

Keen to hear what you think and see if you guys can come up with any cool names!

Like I said, I've been toiling away under the lash of a particularly cruel Nurgling, and have made some headway with the Wardens. Here is a sneak peak of a Brother whose armour has seen better days;

gallery_29868_12717_91733.jpg

I'm slowly ticking off my 1000 point ZM list, and have been ordering and acquiring parts in England to be shipped out including plenty of flamers! :D

Need to sort five more tacticals/vets, ten breachers, a cortus contemptor and 2/3 more Grave Wardens and it'll be ready to paint!

Saw the delegatus on IG this am and wanted to pop in and say I love it. The head trophies and Terminator armor really give him the sci fi barabarian feel.

I got such a feeling of joy when I made him. Still some tweaks to made, and you can probably see that I heated and reposed his trophy arm after a hawk eyed friend pointed out how it looked slightly off...

I hope he captures the grim, stoic character of the Death Guard nicely...

Good job on Ghorr's model and biography. As for Legions I want to see, just post images of the models you put the most effort into- the works you're most proud of.

Thanks man. I'm pretty poor at creative writing so got some help but I think it's a nice story for him.

As for other Legions, I have Imperial Fists, White Scars and Blood Angels to serve as a nice break from the Death Guard if it gets too hectic. And my BIG project... teehee...

~ Brother Kalan stalks the rusted corridors of the creaking space hulk, waiting to engage and destroy his folly.

The net is closing, and he can smell the fear cloying the air as the pathetic humans pray for redemption from their pitiful Emperor. Only Kalan and his brothers will be there at the last to greet them with incendiary death and blunted blade.

Why did they fight for these maggots in the first place, he wonders. He now finds nothing more contemptible than the bloated, greedy, weak Imperium and the mortals who serve, grovel and squirm under Terra.

Regardless of whether Horus or the Emperor prevails, Kalan and his fellow Death Guard warriors would no longer tend to the whims of humans. Lesser beings. Prey. Vessels for decay and contagion. Offerings to the Lord of Decay. ~

Brother Kalan;

gallery_29868_12717_142674.jpg

Sneak peak of next Grave Warden;

gallery_29868_12717_183817.jpg

Need to sort damage to armour and base but I'm very happy with this chap. Let me know what you think!

Wow, very fancy! Somehow I feel inspired to pick up my own Death Guard again :)

Do it! March under the banner of the cackling Lord of Contagion! Seriously though, feedback like this means a lot! Thanks :)

Not so good on naming troops, but I always thought "Mort Aegis" would be a cool High Gothic translation for Death Guard.

That sounds pretty badass tbh! Will check it out with my classics nerd friends to see if it's legit! Great suggestion!

Love that squad pic! What kind of wire did you use for the damaged piping?

I am going to be making a load of Noise Marine/Kakaphoni and that wire looks perfect for some extra touches!

Various thicknesses of guitar wire! Though if I had it here I would use my greenstuff roller! Amazing contraption.

I love the rather subtle nods that lean towards their eventual corruption. Really stellar work. There's also something really disturbing about the missing knee armor, which is weird. It struck me as something quite unique.

Thanks man. I'm trying to make them as unique as possible to having to come up with weird and wonderful ways to show the decay. Kneepad falling off through corrosion screamed out at me!

I'll be straight, Death Guard aren't my first choice, but damn these are just spectacular. Been watching your growing portfolio on IG and I'm a big fan. :D

Looking forward to watching your progress on here, too!

You're too kind! I really want to push myself with every project now. There are some processes I delay through fear of getting it wrong but I can always go back and learn from mistakes!

Keep your eyes peeled, will be updating as frequently as possible!

Top tip: I've been using very small wires from an old headphone cord lately, and they're very easy to work with. Since they have copper wire in them you can also 'pose' them. That might be easier than rolling out a little tiny sausage of gs. 

Your conversions are very impressive and add a lot of character to your minis. The GS work on Kalan's shoulder looks excellent. Would you be able to post some kind of tutorial on how you sculpted the chain mail? I've been trying to figure out how to sculpt some myself and I would really appreciate some insight.

Top tip: I've been using very small wires from an old headphone cord lately, and they're very easy to work with. Since they have copper wire in them you can also 'pose' them. That might be easier than rolling out a little tiny sausage of gs.

I will certainly bear this in mind when my next pair go kaput! That being said, it's not so challenging to roll out gs imo! :)

Your conversions are very impressive and add a lot of character to your minis. The GS work on Kalan's shoulder looks excellent. Would you be able to post some kind of tutorial on how you sculpted the chain mail? I've been trying to figure out how to sculpt some myself and I would really appreciate some insight.

Thanks Ephrael!

When I work on the next Grave Warden I'm planning on going a chainmail tabbard so I will take photos as I work.

I love little details like the chain that keeps his entrails from spilling out.

I used it YEARS ago for a Nurgle obliterator and it seemed like an awesome thing to do. Surprisingly easy! Just a bit of patience and the right tools and you're away!

I really like your deathguard conversions. My favorite chaos gods favored soldiers coming to life. It's great.

That's great news GrandMagnus! I look forward to working on more over the coming weeks/months. Thanks for your feedback :)

Magnificent work throughout Captain. There is something truly wonderful about well executed plague marine conversions!

High praise indeed sir! I'm glad you feel like I'm doing then justice. I can scarce remember the last time I had such fun making models!

Quick question for you, brother. When you splice the leg from the pelvis and then re-sculpt the soft armor at the groin, do you usually pin the two separate parts together beforehand? Do you just stuff a blob in there and begin working the greenstuff to shape? Curious to hear your process, the results look fantastic and any advice would be appreciated. :)

Awesome, pure awesome. Kalan definitely looks like someone I would hate to run into and the sword looks off to a very promising start!

Also ordered some random guitar string. Thanks!

Excellent news, sir! And yes. I would definately crap myself if I made his acquaintance!

Incredible posing in your models Brother.

Thank you Candleshoes! I really try to break away from 'stock' poses as much as I can and create a truly unique force!

Quick question for you, brother. When you splice the leg from the pelvis and then re-sculpt the soft armor at the groin, do you usually pin the two separate parts together beforehand? Do you just stuff a blob in there and begin working the greenstuff to shape? Curious to hear your process, the results look fantastic and any advice would be appreciated. :)

Aye! I drill either side and use 1mm copper wire so I can fine tune the position if I need to. I use quite a lot of glue. When the glue is dried, I mix milliput and gs in a 50:50 ratio so there is slight overspill which I can then remove using a very sharp scalpel blade. Then I can gently remove anymore by 'shaving' the surface at a 90 degree angle with the blade. The back I fill with standard gs and shape with a rubber tipped shaper.

Hope this comes in handy. Perhaps I will add a tutorial!

Thanks for your feedback brother!

Archived