The Anvils of Konor - Champion Grune Thrael painted!

Capt. Jack

So I've been having a bit of a nightmare sorting a head for Grave Warden #3, Brother Vorlar, but a savvy friend of mine suggested basing one off the following image;

gallery_29868_12717_42518.jpg

Been working on it in stages and will submit it when finished hopefully tomorrow, before I head off to Xi'An for a week to see the Terracotta Army etc.

A lot of fine detail but it really feels like the right choice for this piece :)

Really love the support and feedback you guys are showing, it keeps me going! Looking forward to completing the force and eventually getting paint on the buggers!

Amazing work, dude!

That's high praise indeed from such a pro! Thank you sir! Loving your ZM force so much. Would love to play then when my force is done!

This is some excellent work. I've never been able to understand how people do such small details in green stuff. :D

Practice, practice, practice! I think some concepts really demand the skill, and I'm so happy that I'm at the stage now where I can mostly bring them to life!

Good evening all,

I managed to get Brother Vorlar's head done today, and I'm happy with how close to the artwork it is. If I keep practicing heads for this army I'm sure my technique will improve nicely!

When this is cured I'll upload a full set of pictures of Vorlar from a few angles for you guys, and even. Termie group shot!

gallery_29868_12717_46356.jpg

gallery_29868_12717_113737.jpg

gallery_29868_12717_120.jpg

C&C welcome!

~ The writhing sensation around his body that had initially irritated Vorlar now served as a heartening reminder of the boon granted him by his new master.

Just as his flesh sustained the maggots, the generous gifts of Nurgle sustained him. Though his new form undulated, creaked and wept with every agonising step, his body was also now filled with such vigour. Wounds that would previously have laid a mighty Astartes low were an simple annoyance.

Vorlar relished in the shock and surprise of his former allies when he persevered through volleys of bolter fire and series of fatal melee strikes before delivering the final blow. ~

Not 100% but I wouldn't have time to finish and post before heading off on holiday later today...

Need to add damage to his armour and finish the waist, but I'm very happy with how he's turned out. The 'welding' on his gorget is supposed to look crudely. Also, I sharpened his teeth from the pics in the previous post.

I included a group shot to show how the squad is slowly growing. I'll crack on with Grave Warden #4 when I return. I'll have 3 weeks to make little men before teaching starts again :)

C&C welcome!

Brother Vorlar;

gallery_29868_12717_592054.jpg

Close up;

gallery_29868_12717_186945.jpg

gallery_29868_12717_457167.jpg

gallery_29868_12717_205255.jpg

Group shot;

gallery_29868_12717_60280.jpg

Looking great so far :-) What else have you got planned for this force?

Thanks buddy!

I need to finish the squad of Grave Wardens (3 down, 2 to go!),

10 Breachers; (Sgt w/ artificier & power scythe) 2 x flamer w/ chem munitions & vexilla,

10 Vets, 5 done; 3 combi-flamer and 2 heavy flamer to make,

Contemptor-Cortus w/ kheres assault cannon and chainfist.

Can always play around with the list though!

I had an amazing week in Xi'An; was immensely lucky with the weather (clear skies and very little smog), and got to see the famous Terracotta Army of the Qin Dynasty!

Now I'm back to base, I have decided to put the DG momentarily on hold (need to amass more bitz), and decided to start a new commission;

gallery_29868_4100_1571098.jpg

Any guesses what these will eventually become? Correct answer gets an 'air-five' from South China! ;)

Vorlar...WOW! The sculpting work and the picture behind it look one in the same. I also did the gorget swap out. I an just imagine the spittle and pus that would ooze out from the openenings.

Thanks man! Great suggestions for using some clear resin when I get round to painting him! Love it!

You wouldn't be doing true scale marines with those legs would you? That has become a popular thing recently thanks to the plastic cataphractii and tartaros.

And seeing the terracotta army must have been awesome.

Since you didn't put any clues, I'm guessing... tartaros terminators? :P Still, looking forward to see what chapter/legion.

Very astute of you! These will be VIIth Legion for a commission :)

You wouldn't be doing true scale marines with those legs would you? That has become a popular thing recently thanks to the plastic cataphractii and tartaros.

And seeing the terracotta army must have been awesome.

I totally agree, I think that using these specific legs look amazing for true-true-scaling marines, and though these aren't what they're for, I won't rule out doing this in the future!

The terracotta army was just phenomenal! I look forward to seeing Shanghai and Beijing later this year :)

Shot in the dark but true scale EC kill team?

That's a great idea! But alas, no...! (saves idea for later use...) ;)

You're a sick dude, you know that? :sick:

Excellent use of the Blightkings parts. I've seen more than a few people add a backpack and bolter to them and call it a day :dry.: .

Great execution! Beautifully nasty!

So I've done some more work on this Fists commission, and I've got to say, I'm totally blown away by the Tartaros plastics. That being said, no pointing power fist (booo!), but easily converted using the Cataphractii kit (Yay!). You may also notice that I raised the fist on the chap throwing a punch. A simple yet effective repose!

Early days yet for Dorn's boys, but I've started work on the Sgt's cloak (very rough wip), and added a nice Raptor Imperialis detail to his pauldron heraldry (not entirely sure what the technical name to this form of adornment?!).

Eventually each marine, being selected from Inwit, an ice world, will have pelts of some design held on by chains and some other decoration like medallions and maybe teeth, but working these ideas over in my head.

Interested to know what you guys think!

Squad pic;

gallery_29868_4100_678801.jpg

Raptor detail;

gallery_29868_4100_30965.jpg

Wip cloak;

gallery_29868_4100_1000094.jpg

You're a sick dude, you know that? :sick:

Excellent use of the Blightkings parts. I've seen more than a few people add a backpack and bolter to them and call it a day <_< .

Great execution! Beautifully nasty!

Thanks man! The more disgusted they make people feel, the better I'm doing I guess...! Looking forward to making more of Mortarion's lads.

Hey guys,

Been another hobby heavy day today, and have worked with a few different projects, and this morning I finished work on an Imperial Fists Praetor I have been working on recently.

Interested to know what you guys think about him. I'm happy with the attitude and power he exudes with his stance. Always love working on loyalists, and this is a really nice break from Death Guard!

Hope you like!

gallery_29868_4100_786123.jpg

gallery_29868_4100_1168450.jpg

gallery_29868_4100_728594.jpg

There are so many things to love about this model. The way the bones are strapped to his armor, the wonderful folds in his cape, the converted saber. But I think my favorite detail by far is the lamellar armor underneath his shoulder pads. Great nod to the Mongol culture, and really sells him as a warrior of the Vth. Bravo!

Hey guys,

I've been tinkering on various projects (and thoroughly tidied my mess of a desk!) and have been working on 'void-hardened' armour for some DG breachers that I'll use in ZM.

I figured I could extent the MK3 groin plate and add a thick layer of ceramite covering the torso and vital organs. A relatively simple process which I am happy to post up a tutorial for if enough people want it!

To match the bulkier armour, I've given this marine an Imperial Fists helm, and filled the holes on the front.

Awaiting some MK3 boarding shields and I've decided to go for the FW heavy weapon backpacks with the rear-angled vents to reduce the silhouette of the armour, which imo makes sense for breachers!

With this guy, the damage and rot will be painted.

C&C welcome!

gallery_29868_12717_19533.jpg

There are so many things to love about this model. The way the bones are strapped to his armor, the wonderful folds in his cape, the converted saber. But I think my favorite detail by far is the lamellar armor underneath his shoulder pads. Great nod to the Mongol culture, and really sells him as a warrior of the Vth. Bravo!

Thanks Drakzilla, that means a lot! I'm very happy with how he came together, and I chewed over the lamellar for a short while. Having researched Mongol armour, there were a few options, but the overlapping circles seemed to me to compliment the contours of the Tartaros armour most, and I'm very happy with how they turned out! Almost tempted to do some more... *ahem!*

Fantastic sculpting! I really like all the small details you've added like removing some rivets from his chest plate and the rope tying the bones. They really do make the model look amazing, looking forward to seeing more!

Thanks Vairocanum, very kind words! I had a lot of fun with this project - it's a great breather from longer, more intensive builds and great practice for my sculpting to attempt different Legions.

I've got some plastic MK6 in my bits box shouting at me to be put together, but can't decide on a Legion. I know I want them to be seekers...

Still looking good! The loyalists look great and I love the extra detail like missing armor-binding studs. I honestly play Where's Waldo with your images to see if there is some conversion or add on I missed in a glance.

The new DG breacher also looks promising! I like how he has the extra armor to keep his guts in. Since looking at his Nurgle-blessed brethren he probably couldn't even feel a bolt round blow up in said guts.

Archived