The Anvils of Konor - Champion Grune Thrael painted!

Capt. Jack

Good morning all,

I have been on this group for a long time, and posted previous dribs and drabs for my XIIIth Legion, but never a continuous submission.

New year, new opportunity to start a proper hobby blog!

I have a few projects on the go, including Primarch conversions and reposing (Working on Horus Lupercal at the moment), Corrupted Death Guard HH ZM force and other wild and wonderful things, so expect a range of different miniatures and styles.

The purpose of this thread, for me, is to widen exposure of my work, and with that receive a range of different constructive criticisms in order to improve the standard of my sculpting and aesthetic.

I am currently living in China, and will return to London at the end of this year. Until that time this thread will focus on modelling, sculpting and converting, with no paints in sight. I expect a resolution for next year will be to paint more!

I hope you find the contents within these pages inspiring, characterful and well executed. I have to say, so many talented individuals post on B&C; their vision often very ambitious but execution always masterful!

Thanks for reading, and I will do my best to keep the work coming!

Capt. Jack

Greetings all!

My first post with content!

So at the end of last year, a couple of friends and I were discussing the possibility of making some Zone Mortalis forces.

Speaking from my own experience, I can sometimes get a little distracted with projects, and have many unfinished projects scattered to the four winds... So we figured ZM would be a more achievable goal than a full flung army, with the obvious possibility to further expand 1000 points to 1,250, 1,500 and beyond in the future.

I have always been a massive fan of the XIIIth Legion but have dabbled with Heresy before in the form of Word Bearers, and it scratches a curious itch... For years I have had the temptation to do a corrupted Death Guard force, at the height of the Heresy, where certain arcane pacts with the Old Gods had been sealed, and the fate of many Legions warped for all time...

So, seeing as I have quite an abundance of leisure time at my disposal whilst in Guangdong, South China, I have been getting friends and family to send over many hobby supplies so I can enact the will of Grandfather Nurgle and forge a nasty little ZM force of my own!

I have included shots from several angles, and close ups of some of my favourite bits. He isn't perfect, and I still need to finish the bloated leg and refine some of the rents in the armour and make a suitable badass base, but this guy is the Sgt. for the Grave Warden squad.

I present to you 'Malignor', who was aboard the Death Guard battle-barge 'Scythe's Edge' when a catastrophic gellar-field malfunction occurred mid-warp transit, as the vessel was en-route to muster with other elements of the traitor Warmaster's allied fleet in the Western fringe of the Imperium.

The daemonic influence of Nurgle was too powerful to overcome and all Astartes on board were affected, boils erupting from rapidly rotting flesh, maggots crawling in and around rents and tears in their armour, growing into bloated, buzzing flies that helped spread the contagion further. Human elements of the crew were cruelly torn apart and devoured by burbling, giggling Nurglings.

gallery_29868_12717_1339912.jpg

gallery_29868_12717_439197.jpg

gallery_29868_12717_84651.jpg

gallery_29868_12717_1178479.jpg

gallery_29868_12717_115351.jpg

gallery_29868_12717_10169.jpg

gallery_29868_12717_97193.jpg

gallery_29868_12717_107674.jpg

Any and all feedback welcome! Enjoy!

Wow! Really overwhelmed by the response guys! Thanks!

Will look to post up more work either this evening or tomorrow!

HELL YEAH !!!!

Glad you like! Stay posted, more stuff in the works!

Loving it! Always kept an eye on the Facebook pages, so am very happy to see it here!! I'm turning my hand at corrupted Death Guard so pretty excited at where this is going!!

Cool. I feel the response on FB can sometimes be lacklustre and while Instragram is much more receptive to my work, due to the platform, the responses are generally very limited. Corrupted Death Guard are imo the most interesting of the traitor Legions, and offers the biggest modelling opportunities to really make every marine unique! Stay posted! Interested to know how your project goes!

Oh yes! That is exquisite!

All that sculpting detail is awesome. Especially all the details for the toes. I also like all the little flies.

I'm glad you like! He needs a little more work, but he's 99% there. I thought the toes would be a nice touch; they've been diseased and warped by Nurgle's touch, but they still have astartes physiology, so haven't altered too far yet ~ no cloven hooves just yet!

I bought some Blightkings spares, and I got several swarms of flies, so I thought it would be cool to compliment the maggots! Still, nobody noticed the nice bell! :'(

Been following your work on Instagram, and very happy to see you here!

Thanks for such a warm welcome! I'm determined to follow through with my resolution, and I think this page is going to help me develop my skills and writing!

Been a big fan of your work on IG for a long time (I'm @what_gibbs ​over there​) Glad to see you active on the B&C!

Hey! Great to see some familiar faces! I hope B&C will be a better platform for feedback than Instagram! Stay tuned on both I guess! :P

Excellent work on the Plague Marine. I'm impressed you sculpted toes and TOENAILS onto an elephantiasis-swollen foot- Nurgle will surely reward such attention to detail.

I REALLY hope Nurgle doesn't reward ne directly! Perhaps he can give me some inspiration in ways that won't jeopardise my health! :D I really want to push myself with this project, and learn new skills and refine old ones. More work coming soon! Feel free to add any suggestions or things you think might work!

That foot is disgustingly awesome!

I will never expunge the Google image search results from my mind *shudders*... (delighted you like it! Makes it work the nightmares!)

Consider a thousand ideas stolen already. Excellent work. A lot of what you're doing is pretty in line with things I'm in the middle of and/or planning. Seeing this was great motivation to keep working at it.

I'm happy if ANY of my work can be inspiring! Great minds think alike! I'm always on the lookout for cool concepts and ideas I can pinch from people! Let me know how your work goes!

Haha, I noticed the bell later and thought that thing must ring like crazy and I am sure a plague fly is getting its wings somewhere when they do.

What I am wondering is when would he have put that there to begin with. I know its a Nurgle thing I just wonder how that manifested.

I really like chaos because of all the converting opportunities they have but I must say DG have some of my favorites. I always liked the bulged, bloated look they have, guts falling out, and being death incarnate. One of my favorite and memorable passages were about a plague marine whose head had nearly been blasted off and he kept on fighting like it wasn't a thing. 

Haha, I noticed the bell later and thought that thing must ring like crazy and I am sure a plague fly is getting its wings somewhere when they do.

What I am wondering is when would he have put that there to begin with. I know its a Nurgle thing I just wonder how that manifested.

I really like chaos because of all the converting opportunities they have but I must say DG have some of my favorites. I always liked the bulged, bloated look they have, guts falling out, and being death incarnate. One of my favorite and memorable passages were about a plague marine whose head had nearly been blasted off and he kept on fighting like it wasn't a thing.

When in doubt "nurglings did it!". But seriously, I like the idea of Loyalists, particularly regular guardsmen in a labyrinthine set of twisting corridors only being able to hear the tinkling of a bell in the distance, slowly growing louder as it tolls their doom. Something very sinister about that, with the buzzing of flies and alternating slow thud of one foot with the wet slap of another hitting the floor as this paragon of disease trudges towards his folly!

Suffice to say I'm having a lot of fun with these guys!

When in doubt "nurglings did it!". But seriously, I like the idea of Loyalists, particularly regular guardsmen in a labyrinthine set of twisting corridors only being able to hear the tinkling of a bell in the distance, slowly growing louder as it tolls their doom. Something very sinister about that, with the buzzing of flies and alternating slow thud of one foot with the wet slap of another hitting the floor as this paragon of disease trudges towards his folly!

THAT right there, is poetry! I myself will be jumping into HH ZM with a buddy myself but you have just blown me out an airlock with this. 

Also, I keep looking at your images on that first post and noticed the first time that you added some height and bulk around the waist. Only now did I realize you added it to the legs as well. I was wondering why you had to resculpt a plated layer of armor on the left foot only to realize it was added! You cease to impress.

gee what a venerable gnarled old warrior, yeah that hits the spot, and the brief.  This project is off to a strong start.  But your honour, I object to the defendants claim to paint abstinence without good cause :devil:

Well, I'm teaching English in South China at the moment, and there is absolutely no hobby love here whatsoever! The paints would probably cost an obscene amount to ship over, so for the time being all you guys will get is bare plastic/resin/putty! Sorry!

THAT right there, is poetry! I myself will be jumping into HH ZM with a buddy myself but you have just blown me out an airlock with this. 

Also, I keep looking at your images on that first post and noticed the first time that you added some height and bulk around the waist. Only now did I realize you added it to the legs as well. I was wondering why you had to resculpt a plated layer of armor on the left foot only to realize it was added! You cease to impress.

I cease to impress?!?! Hehe, I know what you mean.

I have a real problem with the goofy stances Games Workshop give their marines, and also how woefully small they are compared to a standard guardsman/tau fire warrior for example.

So I always boost at the shin by a few mm and for Terminators a little at the waist also. I have a lot of respect for those who properly 'true scale' their marines, but it's a bloody arduous process, and I would feel bad for those I play against having tiny marines in comparison!

I'm glad you like the writing, I'll see what else I can come up with!

I must say that is a phenomenal conversion. Top level sculpting skills and great use of parts. It is not, however, what I expected to see when I clicked on a thread titled 'Anvils of Konor', and on that ground you must be purged. ;)

But seriously, look forward to seeing what comes next, and if this is any indication, we in the XIII Legion will be lucky to have your skills representing our finest.

I must say that is a phenomenal conversion. Top level sculpting skills and great use of parts. It is not, however, what I expected to see when I clicked on a thread titled 'Anvils of Konor', and on that ground you must be purged. ;)

But seriously, look forward to seeing what comes next, and if this is any indication, we in the XIII Legion will be lucky to have your skills representing our finest.

The Anvils of Konor is the name of my page on FB and Profile on Instagram. I do commission work from time to time, and want to expand my business whilst in foreign lands so when I return I can do sculpting full time! Still need LOADS of practice mind you!

However, to appease you for my trickery here is a picture of one of the Primus Medicaes from my XIIIth Legion HH army (less the paint!);

gallery_29868_5044_16481.jpg

Enjoy!

I just started working with procreate to do some detailing on my fists and custodes yesterday using your Instagram as a guide, man. I can't imagine you need that much more practice because it's very easy to follow.

Edit: Let me clarify, I mean the capes and cloth :D I'm still miles away from the sculpted hands, armor, and Attila envoy :P

That is absolutely splendid work!  The foot is really a show-stopper, though: the toenails!  What kind of bases are you going to go with?

My only criticism, and perhaps you haven't gotten to it yet, is that the rear exhaust you've worked on looks unfinished compared to the rest.  Are you planning to do more with that particular part?

I'd love to see this guy painted!

That is absolutely splendid work!  The foot is really a show-stopper, though: the toenails!  What kind of bases are you going to go with?

My only criticism, and perhaps you haven't gotten to it yet, is that the rear exhaust you've worked on looks unfinished compared to the rest.  Are you planning to do more with that particular part?

I'd love to see this guy painted!

I'll be going for starship deck bases, with some rusted metals in the proximity of the decaying effect of Nurgle! Waiting for a dispatch from home before I can make a start with these.

Regarding the vent, I am going to model a maggot slopping out of it, but I am immensely impatient, and usually submit work before it is 100%! A bad habit I am trying to keep at bay!

Wow that green stuff work is stunning completely suits the model on every level. great work.

-Noctem

Thanks Noctem! Means a lot to hear that :)

I just started working with procreate to do some detailing on my fists and custodes yesterday using your Instagram as a guide, man. I can't imagine you need that much more practice because it's very easy to follow.

Edit: Let me clarify, I mean the capes and cloth :D I'm still miles away from the sculpted hands, armor, and Attila envoy :P

You found the tutorial handy? If so, I'm very glad to be of service! Honestly though, if you keep at it with the sculpting and accept that there are sometimes setbacks, you'll improve your skills in no time! I look forward to seeing how your work comes on!

~ Brother Gorvenal, a recent recruit from Barbarus by the time the Heresy broke out, was assigned to the ill-fated 'Scythe's Edge' with his fellow XIVth Legion warriors. A simple rank and file marine with no obvious distinction above his super-human status as an Astartes.

Being so fresh and lacking combat experience or indeed a heavy tally of kills, the noxious influence of Grandfather Nurgle merely caressed Gorvenal, focusing more on the Legion elites and weathered champions.

As such, though Gorvenal has been changed on a cellular level, his skin sickly and translucent, his body covered with pocks and weeping sores, one of his eyes plucked from the socket by an insolent Nurgling as a keepsake, his appearance isn't so wildly altered from before entering the warp and being assailed by the foul denizens therein ~

Been working on miniatures like a man possessed today, and have been waiting for putty to dry in stages, so I decided to add another tactical marine to my slowly growing DG ZM force. Will be heavily pitting the armour, and most of the taint will come through with the painting, with rust and stains all over.

Keen to hear what you guys think!

gallery_29868_12717_575682.jpg

gallery_29868_12717_789613.jpg

You cease to impress.

I cease to impress?!?! Hehe, I know what you mean.

I have a real problem with the goofy stances Games Workshop give their marines, and also how woefully small they are compared to a standard guardsman/tau fire warrior for example.

So I always boost at the shin by a few mm and for Terminators a little at the waist also. I have a lot of respect for those who properly 'true scale' their marines, but it's a bloody arduous process, and I would feel bad for those I play against having tiny marines in comparison!

I'm glad you like the writing, I'll see what else I can come up with!

You ugh...got any more of those English lessons available?

I also love seeing true scaled marines especially when compared to a basic guardsmen. After seeing Brother Heinrich's night lords and how he boosted his marines height I always wanted to do the same. Yet I know I would work at an even more glacial pace if I tried.

---

Brother Gorvenal is also looking good. I really want to see painted translucent skin now as well. I wonder if painting muscle then gloss varnishing would give a good effect.

Archived