The Anvils of Konor - Champion Grune Thrael painted!

Capt. Jack

Evening Brothers,

Lately I have been toiling on yet another Legion! (I just can't help myself!).

This time I have gone for a vaunted member of the illustrious 1st Legion; The Dark Angels, whose secret shame has echoed down the millenia...

I really cannot express my love for my ever useful bitzbox, and um... with Valentine's day coming up and all... *ahem*. Srsly though, it's awesome, and I have two months worth of purchases en route to China, due to arrive in a couple of weeks time. Whoop!

So, I decided to attempt a knightly brother of the Dark Angels Legion, and fortunately had some suitably medieval looking pieces for this Terran born warrior.

I will be sculpting his right hand from scratch, and have decided to go for a nice long cloak, that will reach the ground so I can practice my drapery sculpting some more. Possibly with some fur trim?

The cloak will be fastened with lion's head clasps held together with fine chain. It should look pretty badass!

I'm happy I could find a use for the munted marine head from a recent limited release - he is a proper old Astartes who saw action during the Unification wars and fought alongside the Emperor himself.

To reinforce this, I have sculpted the 'Raptor Imperialis' on his right pauldron, probably my best to date :). I want to change his sword for an Warhammer Empire one, to emphasise the knightly aspect of the miniature, but that is less important at this time.

I will possibly also sort a weathered cathedral style base with cracked tiles.

Anywho, onto the images;

gallery_29868_12877_252654.jpg

And the Raptor detailing;

gallery_29868_12877_25098.jpg

I hope you like how he's coming along chaps. As ever, I really value your feedback :)

That looks fantastic! That bionic leg is a brilliant idea.

Thanks Kasen, I stumbled upon a artistic representation on Google images and had to give it a crack! Was rather arduous, that being said, but I'm pleased with the results!

Ooooh yeah! You haven't disappointed with that leg! I am impressed! I actually think Mor is your best yet, and I really loved the Death Guard!! The trim/cog work is impressive, really captured the aesthetics of the Tenth... now can you make me a nice dead one to base my Praetor on.......

Thank you kindly Eidolon! I like to think I'm always developing my vision and ability. Now that would be a pretty epic looking base!

Damn, that sword is genius, looks amazing, really love the leg too :tu: :tu:

DarkApostle7, I'm glad you like! The sword sort of just came together nicely, as sometimes happens!

Beautiful work. May I ask what you use for the cabling?

Thanks OakRiver! I got myself down to my local music store and bought various gauges of guitar wire!

Great rendition of Mor - the attention to detail is superb

Thanks for the chainmail tutorial, hopefully I'll get a chance to put it to work in the future for my own Xth Legion Cataphractii

And damn, I haven't seen that particular piece of artwork for years (if you can even call it that) - nowdays I'm not a terribly big fan of it, but I'm glad it came to some good use as inspiration for your Mor's bionic leg ^_^

Thanks IronHandsFanatic, I'm glad you like! The Flesh is Weak brother!

Wow the bionic leg looks amazing! Very nice detailing all over the model too, are you going to do anything for the back side of the chainmail hanging off his waist?

Thanks Vairocanum! I can't hide anything from you! I will likely either add cloth, if I am feeling lazy, or will sculpt more chainmail, but I worry this could make the tabbard too thick...!

Yeeeaaaahhh! That is awesome!

Glad you like Hushrong! :)

Hey guys,

Sorry I've been a little quiet recently. I have been working on things, but nothing really 'worthy' of uploading (but plenty of goodies on the horizon! ;)).

I've pretty much finished the Dark Angel, though his feet need finishing and I'm VERY tempted to swap the sword out for one from the Empire kit to emphasise his knightly aesthetic.

I'm very happy with how much of the sculpting turned out, and the use of parts and pose make for a brooding, mysterious character.

Very keen to hear what you guys think, and what other Legions you'd like to see me do!

For the Lion!

gallery_29868_12877_331647.jpg

gallery_29868_12877_50762.jpg

gallery_29868_12877_908.jpg

gallery_29868_12877_48957.jpg

gallery_29868_12877_87197.jpg

gallery_29868_12877_326246.jpg

Raptor detailing looks spot on, nice work.

Thanks Pearson73! I'm very happy with how it's turned out :).

Wow that DA is looking amazing! At first I thought the head would have looked better on one of your Death Guard but it surprisingly looks pretty decent on this model too. Looking forward to seeing more!

Thanks Vairocanum! I agree that it would suit DG to the ground, but I'm trying to model mine past the point of rogaine doing squat to there baldness! It's very Calas Typhon in style, doncha think?

Amazing work bro! The sword is really nicely done :tu:

High praise indeed from such a master of his art! Many thanks!

Nice use of Narik's shoulderpads. Knew they looked familiar, took me a bit to recognize the bit.

The curved edges really look more knightly, which fits perfectly with the segmented chestplate.

My only nitpick is that the scratch built hand looks a little large, but I assume it's not the finished piece.

Wow, I'm loving how you're scaling up your marines to be true scale. A thousand times better than how a lot of people have done it (using terminator legs and arms for power armour models). Looking forward to more conversion work, seeing as the other details look outstanding. :)

Loving the hand sculpt, and your draping is great.  The use of that SoH torso (my favorite bit, actually) does a superb job of capturing the DAngles feel when combined with the pose, sword and helmet.  The lion clasp is a great idea, but for some reason they look like monkeys to me (the ears seem too rounded, but that's the bit, not your work). :happy.:

Evening all!

So between teaching starting again and a series of farewell nights out for my American friend leaving China, I've not had the time/energy to work on much more.

However, I have made some progress with a member of the XVIIIth Legion; The Salamanders.

I used some artwork that some of you might recognise for the stance which I think depicts the barely checked fury of some of Vulkan's sons very well.

First time doing a Salamander, and first time attempting lizard/drake hide and teeth, so hopefully it doesn't look too bad!

As you can see with the cloak, I've only just started the spinal 'ridges' and need to finish this off next week, but I have a good idea about what method I need to employ for this.

Very keen to hear what you think. More Legions in the pipeline! ;)

gallery_29868_12890_429210.jpg

gallery_29868_12890_45973.jpg

gallery_29868_12890_110467.jpg

gallery_29868_12890_170983.jpg

Fantastic work on the Dark Angel, your sculpting is excellent.

My thanks Magos Kasen! Glad you like him!

Nice use of Narik's shoulderpads. Knew they looked familiar, took me a bit to recognize the bit.

The curved edges really look more knightly, which fits perfectly with the segmented chestplate.

My only nitpick is that the scratch built hand looks a little large, but I assume it's not the finished piece.

I thought so too! Regarding the hand, I do need to take some material from the bottom, but the perspective exacerbates the slight scale issue. Generally I'm pretty happy with how it turned out :).

Amazing sculpting as usual, love the lion clasps! I'd like to see you tackle a night lord or word bearer.

More kind words Vairocanum! I thought the lion claps would be a nice touch :)

I've got many more works on the way, don't you worry about that! Admittedly, Night Lords worry me the most; I think there would be a lot of work to really capture the depraved nature of Konrad's Legion!

Wow, I'm loving how you're scaling up your marines to be true scale. A thousand times better than how a lot of people have done it (using terminator legs and arms for power armour models). Looking forward to more conversion work, seeing as the other details look outstanding. :)

Many thanks! I've used this method for a while now, and it works very well imo! I'm glad you like how my mad little Legion project is going, it's been a lot of fun!

Loving the hand sculpt, and your draping is great. The use of that SoH torso (my favorite bit, actually) does a superb job of capturing the DAngles feel when combined with the pose, sword and helmet. The lion clasp is a great idea, but for some reason they look like monkeys to me (the ears seem too rounded, but that's the bit, not your work). ^_^

Somehow I feel the 1st Legion Primarch wouldn't have been taken quite as seriously with the moniker 'The Monkey'!

I'm very happy how he turned out. I'm trying to capture the essence of each Legion without going overboard and using too many 40k bits, which I see happening all too often!

Both the Dark Angel and the Salamander are looking great.

I'm curious to see how you go about sculpting the scales. I've tried creating scale cloaks myself several times and haven't had much luck in finding a technique that was either easily replicable or looked good. I'd like to know how you go about creating them?

I regards to other legions for you to tackle I think it would be interesting to see your take on either a Son of Horus, or a Blood Angel.

To quote George Takei; Oooh myyyyy! Loving this newest addition, particularly that cloak. And you're very welcome regarding my previous comment. :)

Also, looking at his left wrist and right hip joints, am I correct in assuming you're using the green stuff tentacle maker tool? I only assume so, as that's what I've used to make the soft ribbed armour when changing appendage positions on my marines. :)

Hey guys,

Thanks to my birthday celebrations yesterday and levels of drinking that would fell a Space Wolf, I haven't been the most productive today, for obvious reasons!

I have however been working on a Blood Angels Moritat, and am happy with the progress so far.

Lack of inferno pistols forced my hand, and I made a pair using grav pistols and the melta from BaC Cataphractii character, which helps give a cool 'gunslinger' aesthetic I feel.

I will swap out the head and torso with FW Blood Angels bits, and once the legs are cleaned up add a cloth tabbard. Obvs he needs some nice shoulderpads, but I have some en route from Blighty which should arrive imminently! :3

Hope you like! C&C welcome.

gallery_29868_12902_435372.jpg

gallery_29868_12902_367695.jpg

Both the Dark Angel and the Salamander are looking great.

I'm curious to see how you go about sculpting the scales. I've tried creating scale cloaks myself several times and haven't had much luck in finding a technique that was either easily replicable or looked good. I'd like to know how you go about creating them?

I regards to other legions for you to tackle I think it would be interesting to see your take on either a Son of Horus, or a Blood Angel.

Thanks Checkmate! I'll sort a tutorial when I get the time! :)

that balaclava and cape are spot on !

Thanks Sagentus, I was worried it wouldn't look right!

The scaled face plate is one of my favorite things about the 30k sallies, so nice job doing that. Good idea with the hammer.

I'm glad you like GrandMagnus, I have to agree, they look super cool with the mask. I just had to give him a nasty looking hammer, didn't I?!

I can only assume you are a sorcerer.

That is what my mind is telling me to believe when confronted with your tremendous talent.

Instantly subscribed.

Robzilla, I am humbled by your immensely kind words. I do however, have to make another blood sacrifice now, so must dash...! ;)

To quote George Takei; Oooh myyyyy! Loving this newest addition, particularly that cloak. And you're very welcome regarding my previous comment. :)

Also, looking at his left wrist and right hip joints, am I correct in assuming you're using the green stuff tentacle maker tool? I only assume so, as that's what I've used to make the soft ribbed armour when changing appendage positions on my marines. :)

Thanks DistroyA! The soft armour at the joints is always sculpted by hand, though your process sounds very ingenious!

Birthday celebrations!? Awesome!

As are your latest minis! That DA is loaded with sweet details that roar knightly greatness! The Salamnder is a very brooding and threatening character. The moritat is also sweet looking and I like his infernus pistols.

As for a suggestion on another legionary Third Legion Kakophoni, please!

Hey guys,

With the successful delivery of another ultimate care package from home, filled with an awesome amount of resin goodness, I was able to start mapping out some new projects, and the continuation of existing projects in my head.

I wasn't totally happy with the Moritat I had started, but with some new bits and a start to the sculpting, he has started to take form nicely;

gallery_29868_12902_28507.jpg

Once the legs are refined, I plan to add sculpted filigree, a tabbard and maybe a vial on a chain over the top. The upper body is mostly done.

What do you guys think?

That guy looks dope!! Love the high rise vent on the jump pack and the twin meltas are the bomb!:)

Thanks Lionofjudah, glad you like it! Let's hope they're the bomb when it comes to playing!

What's the torso bit from on that Bangel?

Black Templars sprue. Used to be the only plastic mk4 around!

Amazing work with the chainmail tutorial & the bionic leg on the previous page. Thanks for sharing. Please keep up the amazing work.

Thanks Rift Blade! No worries, I don't intend to stop any time soon! ;)

Wow. Evidently you have a lot more patience than I do in regards to the soft armour. Very nice work. :)

Thanks man. I think the 3rd Legion perfectionism helps! ;)

Birthday celebrations!? Awesome!

As are your latest minis! That DA is loaded with sweet details that roar knightly greatness! The Salamnder is a very brooding and threatening character. The moritat is also sweet looking and I like his infernus pistols.

As for a suggestion on another legionary Third Legion Kakophoni, please!

Glad you approve! I will see about 3rd Legion shenanigans!

Archived