The Anvils of Konor - Champion Grune Thrael painted!

Capt. Jack

Greetings Brothers,

It is time...

I started this project before leaving for China, and I feel my abilities have been honed sufficiently to finish it without difficulty or issue...

...Roboute Guilliman, Lord of Ultramar and the 500 Worlds... Gene-sire of the XIIIth Legion, the Ultramarines... The Avenging Son...

I wanted to show him during the thick of the fighting during Angron and Lorgar's Shadow Crusade that rampaged through the Ultima Segmentum to fuel the Ruinstorm. Quite a departure from the stock FW pose, but so much more appropriate in a swirling melee!

I will be using Garro's base, complete with slain Gal Vorbak warrior, which should hopefully come to China soon! Hehe.

I actually picked this guy up on ebay, complete with scenic base for dirt cheap, as he was based, and people were clearly jittery about his origins. More fool them, I got a bargain, especially considering that when I sold the base, I neeeearly got a legit Guilliman for nothing! Pays to be bold!

Anywho, I present to you my WiP repose of Papa G;

gallery_29868_12988_518489.jpg

C&C welcome.

Courage and Honour!

Hell yes for more Death Guard! Very fluid motion, bionic leg is very cool, didn't notice it at all from the front view. The detail on that base looks brilliant, having the pipe flow through the base was kind of surprising and very creative. Looking forward to seeing the rest of the breacher squad!

Thanks Brother! I'm very pleased with how he turned out :) Check out '1000 ways to build a thing' on Facebook, run by my friend D.A.Pizzey. I am in awe of his skills, particularly with bases, so I tried my best to replicate that element with this model!

Breacher squad in the pipeline! ;)

That base, wow, nice idea.

Thanks Brother. As mentioned above, purloined from my friend D.A.Pizzey over on '1000 ways to build a thing'...!

Ditto that. Great idea for how to get the pipes into the base itself.

Thanks Brother! Hope to replicate the idea throughout the force. Inspired idea from D.A.Pizzey!

He's awesome, you're really great at capturing each legion's spirit and always make really characterfull models! The only thing I would suggest is filling the pipes on the sides of the base with greenstuff so that you have a plain border, painted in black it could look pretty cool.

Thanks Brother! I'm really glad you think so! That's not a bad idea with the base. I've been filling in the gaps, but was going to leave the main pipe clear, but will see what people think! :)

That base is awesome. The breacher is awesomer.

How did you do the base of the hood? Is it pretty much molded around the joint armor of the neck? I want to make one hood character and want to avoid giving him a babushka.

*thinking of Babooshka by Kate Bush*...

Ahem! Glad you like Brother! The area for a head is monstrously large with this model, so there was actually a fairly large gap to tuck the GS under. On a normal miniature, I would probably cut some plastic from the neck seal so a small channel ran around to tuck the hood into, but it'll probably be a while before I do one again!

Besides, as far as 'Flight of the Eisenstein' is concerned, many of the Death Guard from Barbarus sound Russian, so a babushka wouldn't be too out of place! ;)

How did you do the base of the hood? Is it pretty much molded around the joint armor of the neck? I want to make one hood character and want to avoid giving him a babushka.

Ahem! Glad you like Brother! The area for a head is monstrously large with this model, so there was actually a fairly large gap to tuck the GS under. On a normal miniature, I would probably cut some plastic from the neck seal so a small channel ran around to tuck the hood into, but it'll probably be a while before I do one again!

Besides, as far as 'Flight of the Eisenstein' is concerned, many of the Death Guard from Barbarus sound Russian, so a babushka wouldn't be too out of place! :wink:

Just looked her up. That music video just took me to a whole other level.

Thanks for the tip on the hood. I will be putting it to use soon on a character whose face I want mostly obscured.

The reposed G-Man looks much better that his original staring at his own sword pose. Out of curiosity why did you chose him? Was it just a really good deal on the mini?

Evening guys,

Been taking my time with Papa G, as I want the repose to look seamless once painted.

Made a big leap forward today with the Hand of Dominion, Guilliman's pimp power fist.

It needs a little more refining, but the lion's share of the work has been done, and I'm really very happy with how it's looking!

Really keen to hear what you guys have to say.

Courage and Honour!

gallery_29868_12988_145361.jpg

The Guilliman repose is looking great! Looking forward to seeing the power fist done!

Thanks Vairocanum! The power fist is the most challenging part but I think I've done it justice so far :)

What tool do you use to dissect these models so precisely? A wire jeweler's saw? For all your amazing greenstuffing and artistry, I think it may be your cuts that amaze me the most. :tu:

Haha, thanks man! I use a fine modelling saw, and pay damned close attention to how far through the saw has gone! I'm pretty confident with my sculpting now that I would be able to mask any cuts :)

Oooh this is nice, very nice indeed! I especially like the Dark Angel on pg.6, very neat sculpting!

Glad you like Brother! He was a lot of fun to do, I must admit!

Ooooh this seems to be the start of something really awesome! Your work with regular marines has been amazing, can't wait to see what you can do with a primarch!

Thanks Brother! He isn't the only Primarch I've started work on... ;)

Besides, as far as 'Flight of the Eisenstein' is concerned, many of the Death Guard from Barbarus sound Russian, so a babushka wouldn't be too out of place! ;)

Just looked her up. That music video just took me to a whole other level.

Thanks for the tip on the hood. I will be putting it to use soon on a character whose face I want mostly obscured.

The reposed G-Man looks much better that his original staring at his own sword pose. Out of curiosity why did you chose him? Was it just a really good deal on the mini?

Kate Bush is BAE. Seriously talented artist. Look up the video for 'Experiment IV', it will blow you away. Also pretty Fabius Bile/kakophoni if you ask me!

I actually have about 3000 points of XIIIth Legion in Blighty. Ultramarines are my favourite, but it's nice to break it up with other bits! So far I'm building towards XIIIth Legion, XIVth Legion and Shattered Legions. Should be fun!

Hey guys,

The sculpting on Guilliman has been coming on little by little; through fear of annihilating any progress I've deliberately been doing work in tidy sections and letting cure before proceeding!

There is still a couple of hours work to do; the left arm needs some tlc (took a while to get the positioning right), I need to sort the groin and knee seals on the right leg, as well as adding a leather strip to the front, and then I need to faff with the cloak, but that won't be a big job. Then refinements to the fist and a couple of other areas and he's done!

He's just held together by pins atm, and his pose will look sharper when he's glued and gaps filled, but I'm very pleased with how he's turned out.

The only thing I might change if to elevate his position on the base, perhaps having him on a 2mm tile floor, as to reduce the space between his legs as I worry his right leg looks unnaturally elevated. Keen to hear your thoughts!

I will endeavour to finish him tomorrow before I head to Chengdu in Sichuan province for 5 days :)

gallery_29868_12988_851629.jpg

gallery_29868_12988_298068.jpg

gallery_29868_12988_158114.jpg

gallery_29868_12988_853250.jpg

Courage and Honour!

This guilliman repose is nuts man, fantastic work. I can't wait to see the finished product!

Thanks Wulox! I'm delighted you like him. He will always be my #1 Primarch, and I feel terrible for waiting so long before finishing him!

Great work on that fist! Very graceful conversion so far

Thanks Luna707! Though not on par with Fulgrim or Sanguinius, I'm glad I'm able to give the Avening Son some grace :)

Great work on the Hand! Pure genius using the Cataphracti fist! Nice detailing on the fingers and palm.

The repose is one of the best Primarch reposes out there! Kind of what RG should have looked like in the first place, much better than both the FW and GW version!!

Eidolon, you humble me with your words! He should hopefully be mostly done tomorrow (will have to tinker in my lunch break and in the evening) and then I can rest easy for a spell! :D

that power fist is looking amazing ... I looks forward to seeing the finished model

Many thanks Sagentus! I'm really happy with how he's looking, particularly the fist! Should crack some traitor skulls for sure!

That detail on the power fist is brilliant! Love all the plasticard joints you've added, really makes it look special!

Thanks Vairocanum! A little more to go but it will be a fist worthy of the name when I'm done! ;)

Superlative work, and the crisp edges of those resculpted armor plates (feet and legs) are a testament to your skills.

I agree you should elevate him a little on the left; from the 'back' view, his right leg does look too high (i.e. I'm not sure in armor if you can have that much flexibility).

My only other question is what are you going to do with the Ashen Circle victim?  He looks a bit too...intact...to have just had a fight with a primarch, even Bobby G.

Final thought, also from the 'back' view, it seems that the gladius blade isn't straight, or has a belly toward the middle of the blade (perpendicular to the edge).  It's disconcerting in the face of all the awesome that is this reposed model.

Wow that is looking great! I think you're right about the leg being a bit too high. To me, the leg also seems to be swung outwards a tad much making his feet look almost perpendicular to each other (looks a bit more like he's posing for a pict capture than finishing off the ashen circle). Also for the ashen circle instead of having the hand outstretched grasping at air, having the hand weakly scrabbling at his greaves might look cool too. Nevertheless, your repose is a great revision of the FW model and hope you have fun in Chengdu!

Yep! That reposed primarch already blasts the original FW pose out of the water. The only thing I now notice is there is a wee bit of similarity to the GW pose.

I would love to see him at the head of your army. I used to not think on the XIII much until this new fluff coming out for them. I also get envious of those new shield and gladius bits of theirs and the Invictarus Suzerain.

Lastly, I will have to look more into this Kate Bush.

Beautiful work, I don't think you should be worried about the right leg. My only question would be whether it is better that the Word Bearer at his feet should be dead. As a consummate warrior would Gulliman be looking away from a foe in close proximity that is still alive?

Loving the reposed Guilliman so far! The stock model's statesman pose is all well and good, but there is something to be said for a Primarch in the midst of battle.

I also really like what you've done with the fallen Ashen Circle Astartes so far -- probably the best part of the whole ensemble is how Guilliman cannot be bothered to even look at the fallen Word Bearer. That's an ace bit of visual storytelling there ;)

Hey guys,

I've been working on Guilliman more this week, and wanted to share where I'm up to. I'm in Chengdu till Friday so won't have a chance to add anything, but am keen to hear some feedback from you chaps that I might be able to implement upon my return!

A few people have said; 1) it looks weird that Guilliman isn't looking at his pwned foe and 2) that his foot would look better rested on the Ashen Circle marines chest. In answer to these; 1) Why would Guilliman waste his attention on an enemy whose innards have been pulped like a Sunday morning smoothie by a power fist backhand? and 2) the right leg looks off if raised too high and I wanted some room between the models on the base.

There is still some work to do on his left arm, right leg, waist and base, but he's so close to being done (perhaps an hour!).

Looking forward to hearing what you think!

gallery_29868_12988_215320.jpg

gallery_29868_12988_522454.jpg

gallery_29868_12988_666902.jpg

gallery_29868_12988_802222.jpg

gallery_29868_12988_418277.jpg

gallery_29868_12988_161479.jpg

gallery_29868_12988_68302.jpg

Courage and Honour!

Superlative work, and the crisp edges of those resculpted armor plates (feet and legs) are a testament to your skills.

I agree you should elevate him a little on the left; from the 'back' view, his right leg does look too high (i.e. I'm not sure in armor if you can have that much flexibility).

My only other question is what are you going to do with the Ashen Circle victim? He looks a bit too...intact...to have just had a fight with a primarch, even Bobby G.

Final thought, also from the 'back' view, it seems that the gladius blade isn't straight, or has a belly toward the middle of the blade (perpendicular to the edge). It's disconcerting in the face of all the awesome that is this reposed model.

I'm glad you like Brother! I hope you like the changes I made to the legs/base, it looks much better imho.

As for the marine on the floor, I will add cracks to his armour most likely, and regarding the sword, I'll have a close look when I get home and try to straighten as best possible!

Wow that is looking great! I think you're right about the leg being a bit too high. To me, the leg also seems to be swung outwards a tad much making his feet look almost perpendicular to each other (looks a bit more like he's posing for a pict capture than finishing off the ashen circle). Also for the ashen circle instead of having the hand outstretched grasping at air, having the hand weakly scrabbling at his greaves might look cool too. Nevertheless, your repose is a great revision of the FW model and hope you have fun in Chengdu!

Thanks buddy, and so far Chengdu is great!

I may leave the hand as I eventually plan to change the base to Garro's, so need Guilliman totally detachable, but it is a sterling idea for sure. Next time! ;)

Yep! That reposed primarch already blasts the original FW pose out of the water. The only thing I now notice is there is a wee bit of similarity to the GW pose.

I would love to see him at the head of your army. I used to not think on the XIII much until this new fluff coming out for them. I also get envious of those new shield and gladius bits of theirs and the Invictarus Suzerain.

Lastly, I will have to look more into this Kate Bush.

Kate Bush is BAE...

Anyway... Um, I started this about a year ago, so if anything THEY stole the pose off ME! ;)

I'm glad you like it brother, I'm itching to have him lead my Suzerain in a Spartan... :D

That repose of Guilliman is fantastic. A crapload better than the original pose FW did for him. Looking forward to seeing him finished. :)

Thanks Brother! He's well overdue some love so I don't want to skimp on him at all!

Beautiful work, I don't think you should be worried about the right leg. My only question would be whether it is better that the Word Bearer at his feet should be dead. As a consummate warrior would Gulliman be looking away from a foe in close proximity that is still alive?

Thank you Brother. I swift pimp slap has all but ruined the Ashen Circle warrior so he is looking for the next primary threat!

Brilliant repose, Guilliman is definitely the FW primarch sculpt that I like the less, but you have managed to make something beautiful out of him!

You are too kind brother! Tbf it's a beautifully sculpted model but just very flat of pose. I'm glad I was able to spice him up a little!

Loving the reposed Guilliman so far! The stock model's statesman pose is all well and good, but there is something to be said for a Primarch in the midst of battle.

I also really like what you've done with the fallen Ashen Circle Astartes so far -- probably the best part of the whole ensemble is how Guilliman cannot be bothered to even look at the fallen Word Bearer. That's an ace bit of visual storytelling there ;)

Thank you! People have mentioned his head position but you clocked it, Papa G has bigger fish to fry! ;)

I still love how this is coming along, especially the base :)

I also really like what you've done with the fallen Ashen Circle Astartes so far -- probably the best part of the whole ensemble is how Guilliman cannot be bothered to even look at the fallen Word Bearer. That's an ace bit of visual storytelling there :wink:

Thank you! People have mentioned his head position but you clocked it, Papa G has bigger fish to fry! :wink:

Yeah, this seemed immediately obvious to me, and it's a great little touch! What's more. it even kinda mirrors the Word Bearers' humiliation at Monarchia, doesn't it? ;)

OHHHHH! Invictarus Suzerain!? In a Spartan!? Yeah, that sounds mighty fine.

I have been really digging those guys but I would l want to swap their helms out for that Solaq fellas winged helm.

Still, I dig the pose and that there is a dead traitor under his boot seems right. I really like how the ashen circle is mashed into the base.
Also enjoying how he is stepping on the guys nether regions. I just want to hear him shout "What we do in this life echoes through eternity" just like in Pineapple express.

Evening all!

Took a short while to get my mojo back after a short trip away, but today I spent a bit of time reworking a classic!

I want to see if you guys can tell me the inspiration for this chap! ;) I have a few things to finish before I can call him done, but I'm happy with how he's coming along :)

gallery_29868_4100_456715.jpg

gallery_29868_4100_506702.jpg

C&C welcome

I still love how this is coming along, especially the base :)

Thank you! People have mentioned his head position but you clocked it, Papa G has bigger fish to fry! ;)

Yeah, this seemed immediately obvious to me, and it's a great little touch! What's more. it even kinda mirrors the Word Bearers' humiliation at Monarchia, doesn't it? ;)

That whole humiliation scene set me on edge! Amazing book!

OHHHHH! Invictarus Suzerain!? In a Spartan!? Yeah, that sounds mighty fine.

I have been really digging those guys but I would l want to swap their helms out for that Solaq fellas winged helm.

Still, I dig the pose and that there is a dead traitor under his boot seems right. I really like how the ashen circle is mashed into the base.

Also enjoying how he is stepping on the guys nether regions. I just want to hear him shout "What we do in this life echoes through eternity" just like in Pineapple express.

Glad you like! I can't imagine Papa G would be a fan of the kush though! :P

Pretty close to perfect! The subtle change to the base with the cracked tiles really emphasizes the point that the WB has been crushed. You do such a great job at narrative.

Delighted you approve! Still a little way to go, but I'm glad how it looks so far. I just need to work on my writing I think. So many talented writers on here put me to shame!

Archived