The Anvils of Konor - Champion Grune Thrael painted!

Capt. Jack

Morning gentlemen,

Continuing with my Legions project and after receiving an untraceable communique of mysterious origin, I decided to make a Vigilator Consul of the XXth Legion. Though whether or not this decision was really mine, or implanted inspiration will never be clear...

I wanted to use MK6 Power Armour, the designs for which having been easily acquired by the Alpha Legion, and having recently read 'Deliverance Lost' felt that regardless of rank, any member of the XXth worth his salt would try to stay as discreet as possible, and thus have little, if any ornamentation to his armour.

The cloaked head from the recent Deathwatch: Death Masque boxed set fits the covert aesthetic well I think, and I took a rifle from the Raven Guard Mor Deythan squad to equip him with.

The legs have been true-scaled, and I removed the support for his left shin to make his pose look a little less 'static'.

I really want some feedback on his pose, and use of parts before I sculpt the seals and add a cloak. Other than that I will add a couple of packs at the hips and a combat blade secures to his left greave.

gallery_29868_12955_382152.jpg

gallery_29868_12955_478737.jpg

gallery_29868_12955_448154.jpg

gallery_29868_12955_597312.jpg

gallery_29868_12955_128039.jpg

Hope you enjoy!

You make it look so easy! And so very tempting.

If I wasn't a slow builder I would be all over this. Seeing as I will be playing more skirmish level battles with smaller teams that temptation is rising.

The beauty of this technique is that, as it is in stages, you can complete other work while you wait for putty to dry!

The MkIII (and II) armour really lends itself to true-scaling. Very impressive work :tu:

Thank you sir! I will wait for mk2 plastics (if they every get released!) before trying. From experience, unless they've changed the moulds, the mk2 legs are rather skinny!

Oh Its so tempting to recreate...

Thank you for the tutorial, and as always - excellent work!

Thank you Robzilla! Do iiiiiiittttt.....!

Damn, I might have to give this a go... great tutorial by the way!

Thanks man! It's what it's there for! I'd be very keen to see results if you decide to give it a go!

Some rather wonderful converted characters here of late! And I really love how much each of them embodies the essence of their respective legions! Fantastic stuff!

Thank you squire! I have endeavoured to capture each Legion as best possible, so your feedback is very satisfying indeed!

I like him, he is a worthy member of the XX! I'm not too sure about the hood though, that seems more like a thing of the Dark Angels or the Raven Guard, but that's my personal opinion. However what I would certailny try to change is that his left knee seems to be floating, while a guy in that pose with a huge and heavy armour would try to rest his knee at the ground as soon as he could. Can't wait to see him with a cape!

Morning all!

Latest WiP; a Siege Breaker of the implacable IVth Legion, the Iron Warriors. I'd been chewing this one over for a while, and only yesterday realised the Medusan Immortal legs would suit very nicely!

I need to sort legs (remove 'teeth'/fill spacing), add some 'nades and maybe a helm to his belt, add comms relay on his pack, fill the gap in is groin plating, and then add some sculpted detail/insignia but all in all very happy with how he's looking.

Enjoy!

gallery_29868_12958_9684.jpg

gallery_29868_12958_983971.jpg

gallery_29868_12958_804767.jpg

Iron Within, Iron Without!

I like him, he is a worthy member of the XX! I'm not too sure about the hood though, that seems more like a thing of the Dark Angels or the Raven Guard, but that's my personal opinion. However what I would certailny try to change is that his left knee seems to be floating, while a guy in that pose with a huge and heavy armour would try to rest his knee at the ground as soon as he could. Can't wait to see him with a cape!

Thanks man! Believe it or not the knee is 100% intentional, like he isn't comfortable being in a totally static position, and could move out at any point. Much like modern soldiers, always on the move!

Great looking Alpha!

Coming from 'the man' when it comes to Alphas, that's high praise indeed! :D

The ease with which the ceramite buckled under the force of his hammer had astounded Garamon Varrax. As he removed the angled head of the weapon from the crumpled helm of the Imperial Fist at his feet, he briefly considered if this had been the ultimate purpose of his Fenpyrian Pattern thunder hammer.

He dismissed the notion from his thoughts as he saw a liveried warrior in the garish yellow of the VIIth Legion surge towards him.

Cooly unholstering his bolt pistol and levelling it at his foe in one fluid motion, he felt a pang of disappointment as he squeezed the trigger and sent a mass reactive round through the weak neck seal of his enemies armour. Dorn's champions were being dispatched without difficulty, such as they were. Blinded by rage, and sorrow and pride. A captain no less, brought low by such an undignified end.

The Siege Breaker felt his lip curl as he slid the firearm back into it's holster and tightly gripped the wound leather haft of his favoured armament with both hands. He spat and rolled his neck as he marched back into the thickest of the melee, eyeing up potential adversaries to meet the wrath of his chosen tool.

gallery_29868_12958_365326.jpg

gallery_29868_12958_88929.jpg

gallery_29868_12958_503714.jpg

gallery_29868_12958_539839.jpg

gallery_29868_12958_79204.jpg

Hey guys!

I've *finished* the Siege Breaker (need to redo the lightning bolt, add some rivets and finish the base), so I thought I'd write up a nice little story for him.

Have been listening to Angel Exterminatus in the background and the temptation to add to the ranks of Peturabo is very strong...

Next up I have Thousand Sons, Night Lords and Emperor's Children to do, but I only have sufficient parts in Gaoming for Night Lords atm, so will how how I go with him!

C&C welcome.

Iron Within, Iron Without!

Great work, as usual!

Where's that luscious hammer head come from?

Many thanks Ovidius Incertus! My good friend James Fenlon over at the Fenpyrian Forge on Facebook conceived this pattern for some of his luscious conversions, and as a tip to the hat to him and his IVth Legion force, I thought I would equip my Siege Breaker with one! It looks very brutal :)

That siege breaker looks fantastic! Maybe some battle damage and scars could be something to think about? Looking forward to seeing more done!

Thanks Vairocanum!

I'll eventually paint him up to look like he's been through the worst of it :)

Great work, as usual!

The ravenwing biker box, they usually have a pick like thing on the other side but he glued two of them together.

That said, I love the siegebreaker Jack.

Good day all,

I have been working on my VIIth Legion commission lately, and managed to finish him off a couple of days ago.

Despite the awful design of the body, the legs on the limited Primus Medicae are really quite excellent. A huge amount of detail with all the equipment required to save a downed Astartes on the battlefield.

I used a spare Death Guard Grave Warden torso with some details changed, and also used the plastic pads from the BaC Cataphractii character.

I'm actually going to be rather sad to see this guy go, I've become quite attached to him. May have to get hold of another one for my own work...

I also started work on a base for an upcoming Kakophoni marine using a spare Iron Hands Medusan Immortal torso I had from using the legs on my Siege Breaker. I defs need more left and right open hands and fists to make more in the future!

C&C welcome!

gallery_29868_12945_75167.jpg

gallery_29868_12945_19411.jpg

gallery_29868_4100_538151.jpg

Great work, as usual!

The ravenwing biker box, they usually have a pick like thing on the other side but he glued two of them together.

That said, I love the siegebreaker Jack.

Thanks for that Maarten, I totally overlooked that query! Thanks for the compliment :)

Great looking model, he perfectly transmits the brutality of the Iron Warriors!

Thanks man, that's defs what I was looking for! Iron Within!

Yep yep yep! That is a proud son of Perturabo right there.

Glad you approve Hushrong :)

Where is that Hammer from? It's awesome!

It's two of the hammer elements from the Ravenwing power pick (if you could call it that!) added together and attached to the haft of a Sanguinary Guard power axe. Credit goes to James Fenlon for that one :)

The Iron Warrior looks great completed! Love the sculpting on the shoulder pad.

Thanks Vairocanum! Easily one of my favourite projects :)

Awesome IW! Just superb. Your sculpting is so impressive.

Thank you kindly Magos Kasen. So tempting to make more of the IVth Legion....

Great job on the siege breaker, wonderful combination of parts, hope it has a venerable future on the gaming table

Thanks Marcusc! We shall see. I will paint him up upon my return to Blighty!

Where is that Hammer from? It's awesome!

I think it's a Ravenwing Corvus Hammer but with the pick part replaced with a second hammer part. Looks great!

Thanks for helping out Fire Golem! You're bang on the money :)

Must be one happy client, the apothecary looks good! The extra cabling on the back is a great idea to help meld the two parts together. I'm reminded again of how well you're able to model dead marines to look so natural, I like how the head looks like its just drooping down. Looking forward to seeing the kakophoni!

I am honestly babbling right now due to excitement for an upcoming Kakophoni.

The medicae is also sweet. Yours is a great improvement over the original model. I passed on buying one at GW because the torso just looked funky and it never dawned on me to swap it out. As for bare hands I think the latest devastator box for loyalist marines have both left and right hands.

~ Breacher Sgt. Vermann Payne of the Death Guard 9th Company, 4th Great Company was ordered by his superiors to join his brothers of the ill-fated Scythe's Edge after their re-entry into realspace to bolster their forces in future missions.

Despite the absence of the nefarious effects of the warp and his Astartes resilience to contagion, serving close to his blighted brothers would cause a slow but inexorable taint to spread among Payne and his men. Festering at their core, waiting to blossom and reveal itself as the gift it truly was...~

Hey guys,

Super happy I finished my DG Breacher sgt yesterday. Will add some additional details on the bionic leg but for now he's done!

As always, C&C welcome.

gallery_29868_12717_796292.jpg

gallery_29868_12717_63852.jpg

gallery_29868_12717_554782.jpg

gallery_29868_12717_208913.jpg

gallery_29868_12717_261807.jpg

Must be one happy client, the apothecary looks good! The extra cabling on the back is a great idea to help meld the two parts together. I'm reminded again of how well you're able to model dead marines to look so natural, I like how the head looks like its just drooping down. Looking forward to seeing the kakophoni!

Thanks Vairocanum, I certainly hope so! I am starting to get pieces together for the Kakophoni so will upload wip pics when he begins taking form!

Epic work all around mate!

I really love the Primus Medicae, a great save of a bad model! Those Grave Warden torso work well for an apothecary!

I'm going to have fun cutting my medic up!!

Delighted you like Eidolon! It's a great model to butcher ;)

I am honestly babbling right now due to excitement for an upcoming Kakophoni.

The medicae is also sweet. Yours is a great improvement over the original model. I passed on buying one at GW because the torso just looked funky and it never dawned on me to swap it out. As for bare hands I think the latest devastator box for loyalist marines have both left and right hands.

Thanks Hushrong! I'll try not to disappoint!

I know many decent people who are selling at rrp + postage in the UK.

As for bits, I routinely scour ebay for cheap BIN sellers, but thank you all the same ;)

Hell yes for more Death Guard! Very fluid motion, bionic leg is very cool, didn't notice it at all from the front view. The detail on that base looks brilliant, having the pipe flow through  the base was kind of surprising and very creative. Looking forward to seeing the rest of the breacher squad!

He's awesome, you're really great at capturing each legion's spirit and always make really characterfull models! The only thing I would suggest is filling the pipes on the sides of the base with greenstuff so that you have a plain border, painted in black it could look pretty cool.

That base is awesome. The breacher is awesomer.

How did you do the base of the hood? Is it pretty much molded around the joint armor of the neck? I want to make one hood character and want to avoid giving him a babushka.

Archived