Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Terminator weapon options clarification

terminator terminators chaos rules armory chaos terminators trump

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

Lysso

Lysso

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3 posts

In the chaos space marines codex it says, for every 5 models one may replace his combi bolter with either a heavy flamer or a  Reaper autocannon for blah blah points.

And then says The terminator champion  may take items from the terminators weapons section of the war gear list.

Does this mean if i have a unit of 5 one may have a heavy flamer and then the  champion can also have a flamer, so a squad of 5 with 2 flamers.

Or does it mean if i have a squad of 6. 5 units 1 with heavy flamer and then a champion can upgrade to heavy flamer.

Or does it mean including the champion in a single unit you may only have 1 for every 5 models in the unit total?

sfPanzer

sfPanzer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,753 posts
  • Chapter Name: Cacophony of Unbound Pleasure

It means a unit of 4 regular Terminators + Champion can include 1 Terminator with Heavy Weapon.

So 3 normal ones, a champion and one with a heavy weapon in total. The Champion can't take a regular flamer btw....only a combi-flamer, combi-melta or combi-plasma.

It always helps to use Battlescribe to build lists. The data is usually accurate. ;)

gallery_62972_10568_7658.jpg

Halandaar

Halandaar

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,644 posts
  • Chapter Name: Minotaurs, Sanguine Eagles

Heavy Flamer isn't an option on the Terminator Weapons section of the Wargear list (Page 91), therefore the Champion cannot take one. 

ProjectLogsBanner_zpst6u6alrs.pngMinotaursBanner_zpss9debfxv.png AlphaLegionBanner_zpsbvnjdfkj.png ThousandSonsBanner_zpsepvbqnia.png EventsBanner_zpshae9krd5.pngxenophile_zpshyoyy9dy.png ifexiv_zpsotfxrnnv.png ETL_2016_Badge_04_Forum_Champion_Codex_z ETL_2016_Medal_01_Custos_Fidei04_zpsccivL_T_2_2016_Medal_zpsjpjntd9q.gifL_T_3_2017_Medals_zpsxjb53vnh.gif L_T_3_2017_Badge_02_Chaplain_zpsstqsd39d

totgeboren

totgeboren

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,316 posts
  • Chapter Name: Word Bearers
There is no heavy flamer in the Terminators weapon section in the wargear list, so nothing to worry about.
And the heavy weapon part of the Terminator entry simply states, "for every five models", so that includes the Champ.

Also note that the Champ can only select from the Terminator Weapons section in the Wargear list, meaning his weapons are slightly more expensive than the weapons for the basic dudes.

*edit*
Bah, double-ninja!

Edited by totgeboren, 04 January 2017 - 09:41 AM.

ETL_2014_Banner_V1_03B_Custos_Fidei_CSM_ETL_2014_Banner_V2_04_Primus_Inter_Paresgallery_29004_6198_3277.png

“What started out as a pleasant afternoon of drugs and surgery has not gone as planned.”

-Zoidberg

My Chaos stuff, Descent 2ed, and home-made ZM board!

MaliGn

MaliGn

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 711 posts

Also note that the Champ can only select from the Terminator Weapons section in the Wargear list, meaning his weapons are slightly more expensive than the weapons for the basic dudes.

I never did understand this, seems utterly unnecessary.
  • Lord Asvaldir likes this

Xenith

Xenith

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 7,794 posts
Characters get more expensive weapons because when they're upgraded they stand a better chance of winning a challenge and taking advantage of the awesome boon table.

45bf9d3f-67ed-459f-ab16-6dae5f772a41_zpsgallery_58096_11765_15606.jpggallery_62972_10568_30745_zps7apczmbs.jp5cfc2df1-07de-4c53-a375-9692d63472be_zpsgallery_29004_9303_844.pngfriday-award.pngXX

Halandaar

Halandaar

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,644 posts

Value of upgrades is higher on characters because they are more likely to hit (higher BS/WS on characters) and stay on the table longer (more wounds/higher armour).

Edit: I'm not necessarily saying this is why they are priced higher, but it's a possible justification for it. There are other cases where upgrades cost the same for characters as they do for regular troops (i.e. Plasma Pistols) but the character will get more value from it.

Edited by Halandaar, 04 January 2017 - 11:44 AM.

ProjectLogsBanner_zpst6u6alrs.pngMinotaursBanner_zpss9debfxv.png AlphaLegionBanner_zpsbvnjdfkj.png ThousandSonsBanner_zpsepvbqnia.png EventsBanner_zpshae9krd5.pngxenophile_zpshyoyy9dy.png ifexiv_zpsotfxrnnv.png ETL_2016_Badge_04_Forum_Champion_Codex_z ETL_2016_Medal_01_Custos_Fidei04_zpsccivL_T_2_2016_Medal_zpsjpjntd9q.gifL_T_3_2017_Medals_zpsxjb53vnh.gif L_T_3_2017_Badge_02_Chaplain_zpsstqsd39d

totgeboren

totgeboren

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,316 posts

Value of upgrades is higher on characters because they are more likely to hit (higher BS/WS on characters) and stay on the table longer (more wounds/higher armour).

Though the character in question has got an identical profile as the rest of the squad.
I think it's just a lazy way of making sure the champ is not given a heavy weapon.
ETL_2014_Banner_V1_03B_Custos_Fidei_CSM_ETL_2014_Banner_V2_04_Primus_Inter_Paresgallery_29004_6198_3277.png

“What started out as a pleasant afternoon of drugs and surgery has not gone as planned.”

-Zoidberg

Halandaar

Halandaar

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,644 posts

Though the character in question has got an identical profile as the rest of the squad.
I think it's just a lazy way of making sure the champ is not given a heavy weapon.

Well yeah, what I said applies more to actual characters than squad leaders, but then there aren't really that many instances where the squad leader doesn't at least gain +1A over his squad mates. Terminators/Chosen etc are a bit of an anomoly in that regard.

Also, as Xenith points out, the squad leader has the Champion of Chaos rule which he is more likely to be able to make use of with upgraded weapons, so they add some value there as well.

totgeboren

totgeboren

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,316 posts
Though again, for 1W characters the Champion of Chaos rule was and still is much more negative than positive. It it only with the Favoured Scions rule that it just edges up to not be almost exclusively bad.
I mean, the best thing for the champ was to take no upgraded cc weapon, since he would always be the first to die in cc anyway. Hardly a positive special rule.

-Zoidberg

MaliGn

MaliGn

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 711 posts
I get it's use in general, but in this specific instance it is just unnecessary, and could be more easily done as in-unit options as the value of the weapons is no greater for the champion compared to a unit member. Ah well.

Carrack

Carrack

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,208 posts
  • Chapter Name: Black Maw
The Daemonkin codex actually fixes this problem and has it listed as any model may take each option, including heavy weapons.

Lysso

Lysso

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3 posts

thanks guys i didnt even realise when it said "from the wargear list" that it was a different list i thought it just ment under the title on the termionator unit page subheading wargear:

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: terminator, terminators, chaos, rules, armory, chaos terminators, trump

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users