IIIrd Legion - Shadow of perfection

Arion

Brothers,

I have started this thread to share the progress of my Emperor's Children army. Seeing this thread grow will hopefully motivate me to assemble, paint and finish a complete EC force and should provide my brothers with some entertainment.

I'll start off with a Contemptor dreadnought that I have magnetized. Magnetization is a bit of a hassle, but once done, there is a special joy and endless fun at swapping out the arms. Anyone who has magnetized some minis will agree on this point I think :smile.:

For now, I only have this one Contemptor and four weapon options: a fist with in-built stormbolter, a melta, a Kheres assault-canon and a claw with in-built plasma blaster. I intend to buy many more weapon options and Dreadnoughts.

20170104_193345.jpg

Be sure to be very slow and careful when chopping off the original arms. The Betrayal at Calth Contemptor is perfect because of the soft plastic used, which makes it very easy to cut up.

Contemptornoarms.jpg

Here, the three weapons magnetized. Still need to do the melta.

3arms.jpg

Fist and claw. Looks a bit odd, because I positioned the claws for the left arm. It works on the right arm but the pose is a bit unnatural.

Contemptordoublefist.jpg

A very vanilla Contemptor. Just a test to see if everything fitted properly.
Contemptorstandard.jpg

I'm waiting on a FW order of EC brass etchings in order to bling up this Contemptor. The original design is, -although plain-, very flexible. Normally, I would just slap on a few decals and free-hand some heraldry, but seeing as the EC love their bling and art, I think I should definitely go the extra mile and add on some beautiful FW laurels, IIIrd legion icons, winged claws, etc.

More coming soon!

• 4 weeks later...

Brothers,

An update on my ECs: completed a 10 man tac-squad in Mk-IVs to tabletop standards. Still need to finish some details and add snow on the bases. Sorry for the poor lighting...

20170130_155357.jpg

Need to finish the highlights on a few in the back.

20170130_155415.jpg

My converted sergeant with Phoenix Spear.

20170130_155441.jpg

A close up on the highlighting.

20170130_155510.jpg

Bonus pics of a Mk-III EC from the next 10 man tac-squad.

20170130_155520.jpg

Mk-III armour is beautiful but it's such a pain to paint the rivets and highlight all the segmented plates...

20170130_155526.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Brothers,

First of all, thank you for all the kind comments.

Progress is very slow because damned "real life" is interfering to much with purging Xenos and ready'ing legionnaires! On the flip side, I finally received my FW EC brass etchings. So I can start to properly prepare my Contemptor Dreadnought and my Tartaros pattern Terminators. Pictures below. Also added holsters, CCW and grenades to all my tacs and started to base them with Valhallan Blizzard (WONDERFUL snow effect, miles better than the little weird snow hairs GW used to sell years go).

5 x EC tacticals, finished 100% (based, high-lighted and with all their battle-rattle accessories):

5_x_EC_tacs_finished.jpg

Close up of the Sergeant:

EC_tac_sarge_close.jpg

Close up of one of the tacticals:

EC_tac_close_1.jpg

EC_tac_close_2.jpg

EC emblem on a Tartaros:

20170208_180816.jpg

20170208_180823.jpg

And the Dreadnought:

20170208_195404.jpg

20170208_180726.jpg

20170208_180740.jpg

More coming soon!

• 3 weeks later...

Perfection is strong in your army.

Thank you Grieux, Saw some of your own threads and I am speechless... !

Just a WIP picture of my Eidolon. I have to say, he had been laying around in small parts on my desk, just base-coated,  and I didn't dare touch him for a long time. When I looked at the mini, the level of detail was just so daunting, it felt too much of a task to paint him. Eventually, spurred by an article on the Feb WD where one of the GW painters explained he always focused on finishing HQ and 2 troops first before painting anything else, I forced myself to start painting Eidolon (my two EC tac squads are almost finished, so it made sense to do the HQ and have a playable force).

wipeidolon1.jpg

Anyone who paints white color schemes knows how awful that color is. White always ends up clumpy, messy, and the coverage and color is rarely even. This time, I used my recently bought airbrush. Bliss. Perfect, silky creamy whites, at a press of a trigger. So easy. Completely changed my life that airbrush! Definitely one of the best hobby investments I've made, tool-wise.

wipeidolon2.jpg

There he is finished, just waiting for his base. The black pauldron trims and archeotech pistol haven't been highlighted yet (need to buy a pot of Dawnstone grey) but he is pretty much finished. I'll get better pics with his base and proper lighting soon!

update.jpg

update2.jpg

As always, thank you for the kind comments, they are appreciated and motivating!

Finally got some cork to base my Contemptor dreads so went ahead and painted them.

First of all, a WIP. On the left, a BaC Contemptor that I snazzled up with some EC brass etchings. On the right, the FW EC Contemptor. Just airbrushed.

dreads_wip.jpg

The BaC Contemptor, finished. I'm thinking of highlighting the golden parts again, they seem just a bit dull.

dread1_front3.jpg

Close up of the cannon and my attempt at replicating a heat effect on the rotary barrels.

dread1_cannon.jpg

Close up on the fist.
dread1_fist.jpg

All weapon options have been magnetized. I'm painting all weapons in neutral colors (metallic colors and black casings) so they can be swapped, even between Contemptors of different legions.

lastly, some gratuitious group shots. Seeing the army shaping up is a great motivation. Finishing the first 2 troop choices are always a PITA. After that, the rest is all fun and games. I kind of regret I didn't put more thought into my troop choices and went with the cookie cutter tacs. In hindsight, I should've made one tac squad and should've ordered parts to make an assault squad. It just fits the theme of fast ECs much better and gives better tactical value on the playing field. Apart from sitting on objective markers, 30k tacs are a bit lacking I find. Their lack of special or heavy weapons is pretty damning in a vehicle heavy meta... :( At least assault/breacher squads have more options when it comes to taking on vehicles than just meltabombs and eventually a fist...
group1.jpg
group2.jpg

• 1 month later...

Brothers,

Long time no update... damned job at the administratum is keep me from completing my delicious ECs. Anyhow, I wanted to share with you some WIPs.

Since the last update, I have completed an EC Contemptor. First picture below was WIP (no highlights). Second picture is completed, unfortunately the lighting doesn't show the highlighting very well. All arms are magnetized. The left Contemptor got a Conversion Beamer for some ZAP action. Was my first try at object source lighting. It's far from perfect but it does the job from a distance, squinting...

double_dreads_wip_arm.jpg

double_dreads.jpg

My squad of EC Tartaros', WIP. They still need highlighting, snow on their bases and the Sergeant's head is not finished. I've added to all their pauldrons the EC wing and talon from the EC brass etching plate. Ties the unit a bit more to the Legion. Ideally, I'd like some golden "III" numeral decals to apply to their other pauldron but I don't have an EC decal sheet at hand yet.

tartaros_wip1.jpg

Lastly, a group shot.

group_shot_wip.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Brothers,

The last tacticals are always the hardest to finish! Temptation is always strong to start painting other, more exciting, models! I mustered the courage to finish the squads though, motivated by Youtube battle reports and the desire to have a playable army. Below, some group shots of my fully painted and based MkIV and MkIII tactical squads, under the watchful eyes of their Commander, Eidolon and the two Contemptors.

20170506_184042.jpg

20170506_184052.jpg

20170506_184112.jpg

20170506_184119.jpg

And here is a hint of the next squad to come:

20170416_132744.jpg

20170416_132753.jpg

More to come soon!

As always, thank you for the kind comments!

Short update: finished 4/5 of my Tartaros Terminators. I'm not a big fan of that TDA pattern, I feel it looks a bit too round and soft and lacks the sheer brutality of Cataphractii pattern armour. Painting it, it is growing on me, though. We shall see.

Also painted another magnetized weapon arm for my Contemptors: twin-linked volkite culverins. Loving the choom guns, thinking about buying a bunch, either culverins or chargers.

20170513_105012.jpg

tartaros_4_1.jpg

tartaros_4_2.jpg

tartaros_4_3.jpg
upload images to internet

• 4 months later...

Hello brothers. Just some gratuitious army snapshots to keep everyone, and especially me, motivated! Army is almost finished I think. I have three Scimitar jetbikes coming up, which I will magnetize so they can be played either as Sky Slayer Squadron (heavy) or Sky Hunter squadron (Fast Attack), and also waiting on some characters to flesh out my force a bit more (I currently only have Eidolon). Eventually, I do have to get around buying Fulgrim and perhaps one more Contemptor to fill the Talon and capitalize on that filthy Maru Skara Rite of War! Painting wise, what you see is complete, except 

the Spartan which still needs touching up and a few more Palatine Blades (such beautiful models but so depressingly slow and difficult to paint)!

Can't wait to get them on the field for some Heresy battles! (I'm based in Hungary, Budapest. Anyone in Austria? I'll drive over to fight you :tongue.: !).

Enjoy :smile.:

20170917_114226.jpg

SoH Rhino snuck in the frame...
20170917_114235.jpg

Loving the Choom sergeant. Power swords are skub in 7th but rule of cool as always!
20170917_114246.jpg

Highlights on MkIV armor is a PITA but does it ever look sweet!
20170917_114259.jpg

The Spartan is so hyoooge. Everyone uses it to deliver Termies but I'd really like to try it out once filled with 20 marines with extra CCW, a Chaplain, Apothecary and a character. Budget death-star lol.
20170917_114314.jpg

Eidolon. Enjoy being the only character in the army, you attention whore. Won't last for much longer!
20170917_114331.jpg

Doesn't look like much like this, but damn did this take time to paint!
20170917_114531.jpg

Loving the EC contemptor. So full of character! Did my best to make it look appropriately "Fleet".
20170917_114547.jpg

Hope you look what you see! Next update with Scimitar jetbikes and characters! Promise :)

• 2 weeks later...

Still looking sharp as a razor! This may seem strange but I love how Eidolon's cloak came out, it looks perfect.

The army together looks like the perfect host of warriors the Emperor's Children are renowned for.

• 4 months later...

Brothers! Long due update! Group shot of the footsloggers and a brand new Sky Slayer squadron unit! Weapons are magnetized. Still some highlights to do here and there but they are table-top ready. I got a chance to play a few games with a friend. Jetbikes had "new model syndrome": after vaporizing 4 marines in an actinic flash of plasma on their first turn, two of them got shot down in flames by a Sicaran Venator (jink saves failed). Turn two, the remaining jetbike turbocharged into cover only to get picked off by 10 pistol shots from a Reaver squad... oh well.

20180204_084832.jpg

20180204_084843.jpg

20180204_084852.jpg

20180204_084919.jpg

What paints do you use for the purple?  Im just starting out with the 3rd legion and there seems to be quite alot of choice in purples to use

Just good old regular Xereus Purple on a Chaos Black undercoat. I use a cheap airbrush to get a few thin coats on and touch up the remaining parts with a brush. Then I edge highlight with some Genestealer Purple.

• 2 months later...

Brothers,

Long over-due update! Finally mustered up the courage to paint The Phoenician. He came out alright. Still need to do some highlights and add snow on the base (and paint the large scenic base). I put his master-crafted volkite charger on his right-hip as it makes so much more sense to draw from your dominant side rather than cross-drawing a side-arm but then again, Fulgrim is ambidextrous isn't he? Whatever.

The Primarch of the 3rd in all his flamboyance :smile.:

Fulgrim_face.jpg

Fulgrim_back.jpg

Archived