IIIrd Legion - Shadow of perfection

Arion

Apologies if the updates are coming slow. My Emperor's Children army is well fleshed out nowadays and I try to spend time getting my other armies painted and getting game time :) Nevertheless, I will still keep adding units to it from time to time to plug gaps from a gaming perspective and/or fluff perspective.

That being said: I've added a Sicaran battle tank. My Emperor's Children were dearly lacking in heavy support (my anti-vehicle role was mainly filled up by Contemptor Dreadnoughts). I painted it as fast as I could in one afternoon in order to play it the next day, so apologies for the lack of highlights. I did try to highlight with an airbrush but I was decidedly too conservative in my use of white specular highlights. Lesson learned. Gaming wise, It performed quite alright, punching through Contemptor armor at the other side of the table. It eventually got bashed into pieces by Imperial Fists Storm Shield Cataphractii Terminators. Lascannons and Accelerator cannon was just incapable of going through 2+/3++ but funnily enough, the only Terminator I did kill went down to the heavy bolter fire :)

EC_Sicaran.jpg

Then I painted a third Contemptor Dreadnought to fully max out my Talon of 3. These guys are great, loving having a full Talon outflank on turn 2 thanks to the Maru Skara Rite of War. Great durability and mobility. Like all my dreadnoughts, it is fully magnetized, including the havoc launcher. This one is fitted out for anti-infantry support. It did very good in its first game, blowing up a Rhino and mowing down the whole squad inside. Havoc launcher doesn't do much but it does have very long range and it just looks so cool :). It then got tied up in CC by a depleted tac squad. Remarkably enough, it did end up winning and sweeping that squad in two turns. Painting wise, I rushed him in a day as well, so sorry for the lack of highlights. Also didn't do any white parts on this dreadnought. I don't know if I should. Anyhow, with a talon of 3 dreadnoughts and plenty of magnetized weapons, they are by far my most flexible unit in my ECs. I like to have one Contemptor fully fitted out for CC (two DCCW, including a chainfist), one mixed (chainfist and some gun) and one set-up as a gun platform.

EC_kheres_dread.jpg

Lastly, a group shot. ECs were my first 30k army and the first army that I * actually * completed in my long years of collecting/playing Warhammer games. Of course, I made mistakes along the way (MkII pauldrons on MkIV tacs, doh!) as I didn't know better and I wasn't so versed into the lore when I started but I am slowly trying to fix everything. From a gaming perspective, I'd say my biggest regret is that Palatine Blades, despite having gorgeous models, are absolute sh*t. Too fragile and expensive for such a specialized role: killing 3+ marines... Moreover, I have noticed that my army is having a rough time performing because of the lack of scoring units. Tartaros are implacable but you don't want them sitting on objectives, you want them tearing stuff up. 2 x 10 men tacticals are not enough (at least one of them inevitably ends up dying). Therefore I started to paint a 10 man Assault Squad with shields and accompanied with an apothecary. This will be the next update! Thank you all for following my posts and my ramblings.

EC_group_shot.jpg

test

• 3 months later...

Brothers,

I have been working on a 10 man assault squad with shields but progress is painfully slow. To stimulate my interest into investing more into my IIIrd legion army, I have decided to convert a Saul Tarvitz model. I have been always unsatisfied with the fact that my only character choices for my army so far were Fulgrim (which I don't field so often in friendly games, as he is a Primarch) and Eidolon, who is quite specialized. My generic Tartaros armoured Consul/Praetor also lacks flavor. Moreover, this left me with no loyalist HQ for narrative games set on Istvan III. So here is my rendition of Saul Tarvitz!

IMG_20180903_125722.jpgű

Gave him some ammunition belts and a holster for his side-arm. I am always irked by GWs approach of having models go to war with a weapon with only a single magazine and no holsters, etc. I understand 28mm scale limits what is possible but I hope in the future they will sculpt more pouches directly onto the models, like they did for MkVIII power armour.

IMG_20180903_125732.jpg

IMG_20180903_125743.jpg

IMG_20180903_125756.jpg

His power pack is magnetized (if ever want to run him with a jump pack) as well as his side-arm, so I can give him a bolt pistol when I need to stick to WYSIWYG accuracy. The rest of the time, when I am playing him as a generic Consul/Praetor, I like giving him a Volkite Serpenta just to feed my choom! cravings. I kept his armor simple as in the fluff, Saul refused to advance further up in the ranks from his current position of a Captain, so I imagine he is a no-frills kind of person. I'm a bit irritated that his sword arm is in MkVII armor and I didn't feel brave enough to greenstuff it back to MkIV. Oh well. I hope you guys enjoyed this conversion and I hope to paint it up soon :smile.:

• 2 weeks later...

Archived