The Last Hunt by RobMac

b1soul

Honestly, I'm fine with anything.

I'd simply like to see Damocles covered by somebody other than Phil Kelly, though Josh Reynolds at least ended the "Damocles" SMB anthology with a good Kor'sarro novella. There's still a lot of material in the campaign books that hasn't been covered by Black Library at all, which I find annoying.

Honestly, I'm fine with anything.

I'd simply like to see Damocles covered by somebody other than Phil Kelly, though Josh Reynolds at least ended the "Damocles" SMB anthology with a good Kor'sarro novella. There's still a lot of material in the campaign books that hasn't been covered by Black Library at all, which I find annoying.

True - at the same time Damocles always suffered from the 'not so good quality' stuff, sadly.  Josh Reynolds was the only exclusion from the rule.

Hope Robbie will do justice by WS!

Guy Haley wrote an exceptional Gue'vesa story for the anthology, and since, Phil Kelly has done Blades of Damocles and Justin D Hill did Storm of Damocles.

Yes Justin D Hill did Storm of Damocles. - which is brilliant, but it's more a Deathwatch SMB story than a Damocles one.

'Blades of Damocles' sadly was unreadable.

Guy aley wrote an exceptional Gue'vesa story for the anthology - quite forgot about that one. Tis was really good.

What happens in the Kor'sarro Damocles tale (don't mind spoilers if you'd care to share)? Are Reynold's WS anything like Wraight's?

With a title like "The Last Hunt"...I'm guessing this should be near the end of Damocles

Perhaps another possibility is the last hunt of the Hunt Master before Kor'sarro (unrelated to Damocles)...though again, I think DC is right about the Damocles setting

Edited by b1soul

What happens in the Kor'sarro Damocles tale (don't mind spoilers if you'd care to share)? Are Reynold's WS anything like Wraight's?

With a title like "The Last Hunt"...I'm guessing this should be near the end of Damocles

Perhaps another possibility is the last hunt of the Hunt Master before Kor'sarro (unrelated to Damocles)...though again, I think DC is right about the Damocles setting

The point of Damocles struggle sadly is totally disappointing. Tau overcome everything... The only way I will read anything tau related - if they would kill someone truly major (not some supreme ethereal whose model sucks and nobody cares about him) like Shadowsun. The witch is horrible...

Or.... if it would be written by Peter Fehervari :biggrin.:

I'm not at liberty to talk about it much yet, but I think it's safe to say that The Last Hunt isn't about Kor'sarro or the Damocles campaign. It will follow the 4th Brotherhood under the Master of Blades, Joghaten Khan, and it's set during the "current" timeline. 

I was initially asked to write a Scars novel before the Carcharodons, but they indulged me with Red Tithe. I didn't want to go with Kor'sarro or Damocles because I don't like when a Chapter gets pigeonholed with a single hero and campaign. Plus Damocles was more about across-the-board involvement from multiple factions - Tau, Guard, Space Marines, ect - than it ever was about specifically the White Scars. The Last Hunt - and anything that may follow - are specifically Scars stories. 

As for my vision of them, I don't think it would be disrespectful to any other authors to say I'm leaning heavily on Chris Wraight's Heresy work, just because it's amazing. I must admit I was never a huge Scars fan before (didn't dislike them either), but after reading every story featuring them it's safe to say I'm well and truly in love. I'd probably even describe them as my favourite First Founding now, their culture is so rich and unique. I'm definitely trying to bring that to the fore. 

Anyway, glad folks are showing interest at this early stage, I'm currently 2/3 through the first draft, so perhaps the excitement will help carry me over the finish line :wink:

Rob, seriously, are you a lost brother of mine?

I felt the same way with the Scars. ^^

Though my heart will always beat for the Vlka, as Bill King for me into reading 40k stuff, the Scars became my second most favorite Legion overall and my favorite in terms of how they were presented.

And I admit that it's really cool from you to not focus on just one hero but rather "create" a new one! :tu:

Did I understood it right that depending on its success, we might see a continuity of The Last Hunt?

Jeez, what are you? A writing machine? ;)

I'm not at liberty to talk about it much yet, but I think it's safe to say that The Last Hunt isn't about Kor'sarro or the Damocles campaign. It will follow the 4th Brotherhood under the Master of Blades, Joghaten Khan, and it's set during the "current" timeline.

Ah very cool, fantastic to hear...and I totally feel your sentiment about not wanting a faction to be pigeon-holed into one campaign with a single hero.

Looking forward to this. Looks like your main protagonist has a bit of fluff available, but none of it "current" I think

Joghaten Khan is commander of the White Scars 4th Company and Master of Blades as of 925.M41.[2] Promoted sometime shortly before 925.M41, Great Khan Kyublai recognized Joghaten's skill following a a victory against the Red Corsairs of the Diata System. Leading his company in the Battle of Cardrim, he battled both Orks and Necrons. During the battle, Joghaten personally slew the Ork Warboss Skullkrumpa and then destroyed the Necron forces in a trap.[1]

Sources

1: White Dwarf 389, pgs. 30-39

2: War Zone Damocles: Kauyon pg.19

Though I was not crazy about Legacy of Russ (I suspect you had some specific restrictions from BL when writing it), I thought Red Tithe was very, very well done and I'm sure you'll only be getting even better as you write more and more

I was initially asked to write a Scars novel before the Carcharodons, but they indulged me with Red Tithe. I didn't want to go with Kor'sarro or Damocles because I don't like when a Chapter gets pigeonholed with a single hero and campaign. Plus Damocles was more about across-the-board involvement from multiple factions - Tau, Guard, Space Marines, ect - than it ever was about specifically the White Scars. The Last Hunt - and anything that may follow - are specifically Scars stories.

This is truly music to my ears and I'm glad the WS have another good authour now

As for my vision of them, I don't think it would be disrespectful to any other authors to say I'm leaning heavily on Chris Wraight's Heresy work, just because it's amazing. I must admit I was never a huge Scars fan before (didn't dislike them either), but after reading every story featuring them it's safe to say I'm well and truly in love. I'd probably even describe them as my favourite First Founding now, their culture is so rich and unique. I'm definitely trying to bring that to the fore.

Blood Angels were my absolute fave legion/chapter for a long time.

I had always been fond of the WS but truly got on board their battlewagon (so to speak) around the time Brotherhood of the Storm was released. I dare say they've overtaken the BA in my esteem nowadays. Wraight has set 30K WS up beautifully and I'll be excited to read your rendition of 40K WS

Edited by b1soul

On the issue of Kor'sarro Khan...don't think he's a bad character...but would like to see authours like Rob Mac branch out more in the current 40K setting

That said, I think Kor'sarro has room for fleshing out if an authour would care to do it. I look at his model and I wonder...could he be wielding Medusan steel?

99800101062_KorsarroKhan360.jpg

Though my heart will always beat for the Vlka, as Bill King for me into reading 40k stuff, the Scars became my second most favorite Legion overall and my favorite in terms of how they were presented.

Would love to see a bit of interaction between WS and SW in 40K...especially in light of the interesting 30K dynamic established by Wraight

It will be about literally their last hunt. I heard the White Scars become extinct.

Lol

Anyway, glad folks are showing interest at this early stage, I'm currently 2/3 through the first draft, so perhaps the excitement will help carry me over the finish line :wink:

Awesome to hear.

In W40k people almost don't know any WS character except for the Kor'sarro and his Shadowsun hunt.

And let's be truthful - tau has 'plot armor' Robbie. Shadowsun will never be killed :biggrin.:

Agreed.

Just finished Red Tithe and damn! :D

Maybe we'll see some Scars vs Corsairs action? As far as I rember, the Corsairs are the only traitor force which is specialized in fast warfare like the Scars. Could be a great chance to mirror both of them and create a What if scenario as the Scars could as well have become space pirates if events eould have turned out differently.

I'm digging a Corsairs leader with a familiar which he's taking care for, naming it Polly. ;)

Would love to see a bit of interaction between WS and SW in 40K...especially in light of the interesting 30K dynamic established by Wraight

Ditto. From the way Path of Heaven ended, their mutual disdain might have changed into wary respect by the end of the heresy.