The Last Hunt by RobMac

b1soul

I don't think so, actually.

The Beast Arises had a clear start and end goal, whereas the Indomitus Crusade seems more for show, already has what seems like an end, and a lot of the crusade was about Guilliman hopping from battlefield to battlefield and bringing reinforcements. One point, with Baal, is already being covered in Guy Haley's Devastation novel, too.

The Indomitus Crusade sounds more like a temporary setting for short stories, novellas and the occasional novel, mostly stand-alone with possibly linked novels or trilogies if the subject matter has the scope to warrant it, but I can't see it being a clearly outlined, "numbered" journey like The Beast Arises or even the Horus Heresy.

Apart from The Devastation of Baal, we're also getting Ashes of Prospero soon, and it'd seem likely that a couple more Space Marine Conquests novels will be dealing with things in that timeframe too.

Edited by DarkChaplain

@Felix

Yup...the Indomitus Crusade might warrant a 12 (or 24) volume series a la The Beast.

We are talking Last hunt WS of the 4th company vs tyranids  and it's arrival in November. Indomitus crusade could be written through ages for all I care.

It is young and so far stupid lore which need time to grow up into something worthwile or fail miserably and take W40K with it.

• 2 weeks later...

I could put a picture of me in orange and blue. VBG Oh wait that is me at a NY mets base ball game. I like the color blue! Also orange. Anyone have a problem with that? VBG what happened with the smilies I do not see them so i can post some?

We need orange Marines! :wink:

A D-B rainbow pony marines + Abnett not the most SM space marines ever + orange marines - and the grim darkness of the W40k would be rightfully filled with joy :biggrin.:

Robbie, have you read Shape of the Hunt by Joe Parrino?

Any thoughts on that? Perhaps it served as another inspiration?

He did. He definitely did - I already see some inspiration behind the 4th company.

Robbie

1) You plan it as a start for a trilogy or is it a definite standalone?

2) Will we get void warfare? It is always curious to see SM chapter fleet vs live tyranids bioships.

3) Please remind me  - is it take place between GS and DI during Indomitus Crusade times

• 3 weeks later...

I have, I think I actually managed at the very least skim-read all White Scars fiction to date before starting. 

He did. He definitely did - I already see some inspiration behind the 4th company.

Robbie

1) You plan it as a start for a trilogy or is it a definite standalone?

2) Will we get void warfare? It is always curious to see SM chapter fleet vs live tyranids bioships.

3) Please remind me  - is it take place between GS and DI during Indomitus Crusade times

1) Standalone now but there could be more depending on popularity.

2) Yes. Not a huge amount, but two pretty solid scenes. 

3) Right after Gathering Storm/opening of the Rift. It's a little hazy though, for example the Scars aren't wholly sure about the truth of whether Guilliman is back or not initially. 

• 3 weeks later...

The novel is killer!

RobMac- Once again crushing an adeptus astartes story. I have to own that Chris Wraight is the king of Scars to me, this is a very very good addition to their storyline though, captures what was started in the HH books.

Also, do you know something the rest of us don't? Is the Khagan coming back soon?! You can't tease us so much.

I have to say what I appreciate so much about both The Last Hunt and Red Tithe is that the characters don't act like idiots.  They aren't tricked easy, and both good and bad guys fight like it matters to them. Excellent work. Now RobMac has two trilogies I want him to finish.

@caladancid

What gives you reason to believe the Khagan may be returning?

The Scars clearly think he is coming back soon, and not just in an optimistic way.  There could be more than one explanation for this, but my takeaway is that they are getting signs the Warhawk needs them right now.

-edit

Let me add this while I am thinking about it.  We all know that sales is king (as it should be) for GW.  Red Tithe and this book made me want to go out and buy a whole new army. Once we get some decent White Scars/Raven Guard (for Carcharadons) upgrade sprues and some sweet Primaris grav bikes, it is on.  Show this to your bosses RobMac.  That 16 dollars I paid for the book looks more like 200-300 once I get those things.

For a writer I am sure that writing well is the primary concern, and that is covered! Now lets be practical and get the powers to be backing more of these novels!

Edited by caladancid

I don't think they'd turn him evil, more, "you've all failed humanity, i and my sons will make this right" and fight everyone. They're not chaos, they're not guillimans imperium, they're the 3rd way. Buy I need to pick up the book anyway, and if red tithe is anything to go by this is gonna be awesome.

Naaaah, can't imagine the Khan going against all. He's a freethinker, sure but he's loyal to his fathers vision.

Either he joins RG OR (and what I can rather imagine) go on a crusade with all of his sons like he did during the GC and HH.