Rebirth of a Crusade - WIP with 3d Parts

Rogue Crusader

Looks a touch better.  I'm a bit lost: are these bits things you intend to eventually sell?

Actually, he's a GW plant. He's producing these new bits, forcing people to buy more models than they were planning to.

It's a very clever gambit as I think it's working. ;)

Looks a touch better.  I'm a bit lost: are these bits things you intend to eventually sell?

Actually, he's a GW plant. He's producing these new bits, forcing people to buy more models than they were planning to.

It's a very clever gambit as I think it's working. :wink:

Lol we always end up buying more models than we had planned to.  :)

Yes, some of the parts will be made available for purchase. Making resin parts is how I help offset some of my hobby costs. The plasma guns won't be available because they are too close to the GW design, but the other more generic stuff will be available. The saddle bags and paudron pieces are already up on my site and the melee weapons will be ready soon. 

Edited by Rogue Crusader

• 3 weeks later...

My SB pads arrived today Rogue, they look great, and they arrived FAST! I was not expecting them yet from across the Pond.

My next step therefore is to learn how to sculpt the shoulder capes Sword Brethren have, has anyone got any tips?

Sweet I'm glad they got there quickly, mail arriving promptly at Christmas time can be somewhat of a crap shoot and can be really slow sometimes, but other times it's surprisingly quick.  Glad it was on the faster end :smile.: 

Outside of filling a few small orders I didn't get a lot done over the holidays as things were super crazy, in addition to the family stuff I had to go in for minor surgery on both eyes each procedure being a week apart. Complications from being diabetic have some liquid swelling in the rear of my eyes which is causing minor vision difficulty and treating it means getting a series of injections in the eyeball itself. It's a rather uncomfortable and unpleasant experience but thankfully everything is numbed up so it's not painful. Since everything is slightly out of focus at first it tends to disrupts stuff for a day or two afterwards so I can't drive or do much (like modelling) that requires good vision.

I did print out a generic set of blank gardbraces without the cross and I'll have those up soon, I can do the same with the saddle bags but I'll need to see if there's any interest. I ran off a test print of the banner without any wind ripples just to check the level of details, after the ripples were added I tried a second print but it failed, not quite sure why so I'm having it outsourced. Despite the misprinting issues and having several heavy lines running through the print the overall details looked good so I'm excited to see what the print comes out like on the better machine. I'm also having the lances printed at the same time since the cross guard on the spear head keeps coming out flawed on my machine. I've had a few successful prints but I'm only getting 2-3 good ones out of a batch of 8. 

The big banner would be a good stand in for a company or ancients banner and I think I might toss together some smaller pennant style banners that can be attached to the rear of the bikes or maybe on the lances.

I also started mocking up some nice rotary autocannons or mini guns that would fit onto a Rhino turret mount, it's also fit a Landraider if you leave the ammo drums off. I may try and see if I can do a belt fed version but it'd require restructuring the barrel length and the main body which I toyed with but the proportions look slightly odd to me so I'll need some further tinkering. The current plan is to have this done with pre-set holes for magnets so that it can be tilted up/down or be swapped out for other weapon types. (once I get to them) The base is currently a WIP so it's plain and boring but I'll be adding more details to it over the weekend. I'll also be tackling a set of side sponsons as I have a bunch of half built tanks and vehicles that have been sitting around neglected for years and are missing parts. It'll be a a good 3d project and let me fix them up at the same time. 

26170962_1616079491782517_64753857054041

To support the Ravenwing bike build I picked up a Darkshroud/Vengeance land speeder. This was a lucky ebay find since they aren't in stock anywhere atm.

I don't like the preacher's pulpit gunner seat in the front so I've been attempting a conversion I saw elsewhere online, it turned out to be a bit more involved than I first expected but overall it's coming together fairly well.

The old 3rd ed landspeeder plastic they used the in the battle force box is garbage and needed a lot of bending to make things fit, if you decide try this conversion save yourself the frustration and use one of the newer land speeder kits that has the reworked/updated sprue as it'll fit together so much better.

I'll be adding magnets so it can be switched between the Darkshroud and Vengeance configurations. Since I'm using the Templar motif I'll be leaving off all the crazy Dark Angels icons and use something more knightly and Templar-ish once I figure out what I want. I'll probably call it the shroud of faith and use Com dishes as a jamming/cloaking device instead of the funky shrine.

26220543_1623739387683194_30839132499891

26677726_1623739391016527_31958892708536

And the stock version... ugh

26168134_1623739454349854_62254715963823

Edited by Rogue Crusader

Hey is it possible that you can make dreadnought arms?

autocannon ones, lascannon, missile launcher?:).

I've locked across the internet And i couldn't find any bits...

Also TLAC for razorbacks look's Nice, actually I'm looking for few assault cannons for my razorbacks, So tell me Please, are they available for purchase?

Edited by Aegir_Einarsson

Hope your vision sorts itself out!

I agree on the cupola thing, I dislike Landspeeders at the best of times, but the Vengeance is hideous.

I'm planning to assemble my Vanguard vets this week, using your pads, but the Storm Shields in the box for me thinking, could you produce some similar sized storm shields with a proper Maltese cross? The FW ones are great for Terminators, but a bit unwieldy for flying about!

• 4 weeks later...

I have a bit more work to do on the autocannons before they are ready to print, I'm hoping to tackle that this coming week, I should also be having the banner printed at the same time. I tried home printing one with the wind waves added but it kept failing and collapsing so hopefully the commercial printer will be able to do a better job. Shields are also something I want to do, the FW ones are fantastic but they are a bit too massive for non-terminator troops. 

It's been a bit slow as I had two more rounds of eye treatments which has been going well but it tends to mess with work and hobby time pretty heavily as each visit burns up the whole day and then 3-4 days of recovery time where I'm largely useless. The upside is that it's been helping tremendously so it's been worth doing. 

I was pretty hyped when I saw the preview of the Custodes jet bikes and knew I wanted to get a squad to convert into Talon Masters, the box I pre-ordered came in yesterday and I tore into it. The Custode rider was a lot bigger than a regular marine so the original conversion I had planned wasn't going to work. Not to be defeated, I swapped out the rider for a primaris marine. It's not a perfect match to the stats as it only has a single assault cannon instead of a dual but I couldn't figure out a way to mount two without it looking goofy. So I'll treat it as special assault cannon that just fires twice as fast :wink: The front wings were moved to the rear so it'd look more like Sammael's bike. It still needs some greenstuff work and clean up on the rider's legs but overall I think it'll do nicely.

Once that's done of course it'll be getting a healthy blessing of Templar-fication.

27336569_1655034554553677_81043081687387

27749952_1655034527887013_44709394239295

27336674_1655034514553681_78623734226652

27540840_1655034597887006_35051432549859

65x110mm attacke bike sized base it'll be getting when finished and a scale shot of it next to standard sized bike. 

27539960_1655138171209982_57574040091937

27458916_1655138441209955_24922853280482
Edited by Rogue Crusader

i saw your jet bike conversion on a FB group this morning Brother and it sparked a lot of conversation between the group i play with! i believe you may have encouraged our dark angel player to start a primaris dark angel army which is no easy task he is rather stubborn! love the work you have done so far and the 3D bits look awesome. i noticed you said you wouldn't be putting up the plasma guns because they are too close to the gw ones? as far as i'm aware if you name them something different there shouldn't be a problem i've only seen 3rd party stuff get attention from gw for being named the same or for being a direct copy. also may i ask what other things are you planning to make to sell?

I see you've done similar to my attempt with the hand on the controls being the original one. I didn't want a Primaris marine on mine, so in order to make up the height gap I used the Custodes Jetbike boots and SM biker legs cut off below the knee.

I also had the idea to swap the Custodes' leg shields for some spare little Terminator shields from the BT upgrade sprue.

Otherwise it's a fun kit to put together, I just don't recommend using plastic glue when putting together the front of the bike, I had issues holding it all together and ended up melting bits I didn't want to.

i saw your jet bike conversion on a FB group this morning Brother and it sparked a lot of conversation between the group i play with! i believe you may have encouraged our dark angel player to start a primaris dark angel army which is no easy task he is rather stubborn! love the work you have done so far and the 3D bits look awesome. i noticed you said you wouldn't be putting up the plasma guns because they are too close to the gw ones? as far as i'm aware if you name them something different there shouldn't be a problem i've only seen 3rd party stuff get attention from gw for being named the same or for being a direct copy. also may i ask what other things are you planning to make to sell?

I'm glad I could sway somebody to the Primaris side, I personally like the models a lot, the fluff behind them is meh but it's no worse than any of the other many revisions I've seen take place since I started with Rogue Trader. The 40k setting has always been pretty fluid and the lore changes based on who writes the book of the month and what particular models they are pushing. I'm not a die hard fan of the fluff and as a long time casual player all I need is a very basic story outline of these cool guys want to kill these dudes for reason X, game on! Where others are looking for a concise concrete canon storyline, but IMO 40k has never had that so if they cling to that ideal then stuff like the introduction of the Primaris or any other changes is always going to upset them. Not bashing their viewpoint at all, but after seeing 20+ years of constant revisions it's just not how I see the game and for me the story has been in constant flux since day one so I just focus on what looks cool and if I like the general theme. Primaris stuff looks awesome to me regardless of if it's treated as being true scale or actual primaris I just want them to look neat as they get pushed around the table with pew pew and dakka noises.  lol

In addition to the lances I have some axes and swords that are basically finished and waiting on printing as well as the banner and the autocannon/minigun turret. Those are the ones that are scheduled next in the pipeline. After that maybe some shields.

I also had the idea to swap the Custodes' leg shields for some spare little Terminator shields from the BT upgrade sprue.

Otherwise it's a fun kit to put together, I just don't recommend using plastic glue when putting together the front of the bike, I had issues holding it all together and ended up melting bits I didn't want to.

I've been looking at those as well or scraping the eagles off the stock armor plate. The stock one looks a bit too large but if I take them off I may need to resculpt some of the fabric detail on the robes, I'm not sure what I want to do just yet so I'm giving it some more thought and letting it stew for a couple days to see what bubbles up.

Is the jetbike's assault cannon fixed forward, or on a traversing turret?

The assault cannon I put in a fixed position. No reason it couldn't be mounted on a turret with some additional work but I mounted it fixed so it'd mimic Sammael's bike configuration a bit more closely. 

Edited by Rogue Crusader

Lances 2.0

I made some corrections to the lances, adjusted the hand size and also added a couple of runners to help vent the cross guard during casting but they are so tiny I'm not sure if they'll work, I may have to cut those into the mold by hand. 

I'm in the process of doing the clean up and UV cure and when that's finished I'll be test fitting things to make sure the changes came out as planned. If everything is correct I'll print up a mirrored set for the left handed version. 16 hours print time with 2,608 layers.

27751808_1657849407605525_15098260817857