Legion of the Damned + Ferrus Manus

Would be even more of an eternal war:

Immortal demons vs immortal revenants / wraiths

Angels of death vs Angels of Chaos

Both trying to take the advantage on the mortal realm but are denied by Xenos forces of all kind.

Boom, setting for an normal 40k ish day. Only difference would be that we might explore the war within the Warp.

The Emperor already has daemons established in lore. The Firetide (eternal battle of angels vs daemons at the border of Astronomican light and Eye of Terror), the Astronomican spirit in the Talon of Horus. The Legion of the Damned make sense.

What sold me on that idea were the aesthetics that just 'clicked' - black and silver for IH, black and bone for RG, fire for Sallies as the original 'template'.

Who can say that while the Emperor might've not foreseen the Loyalist Purge or maybe did but couldn't act against it because he didn't know what ELSE would happen, he saw the path going potentially very badly for the troops sent to the Dropsite Massacre? And he saw that yes, he will lose most of three Legions and maybe his son, but then acted to "catch their loyal souls in a net".

This also doesn't preclude the Fire Hawks origin, as in the Fire Hawks becoming LotD. They just weren't the first ones, as it turns out. But loyal souls, obedient souls, sent off to die by uncaring Lords of Terra, for none of their own fault, for manifesting fire of Emperor's purity? They went on their penance Crusade and died loyal to Him On The Golden Throne. And he has saved their souls from the warp, catching them in the same net. And has probably been doing that ever since Isstvan.

Woah ... that's head-canon spinning.

Thanks man. It did the same thing to me and I'm happy I managed to convey the feeling.

If you haven't already, do check out this thread, for more of a headspin ;)

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/327641-missing-primarchs-emperor-perfectly-flawed/

:)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I'd be cool with the LoTD being the souls of pure, emperor fearing/worshipping marines as it sounds right.

Problem with Manus and 30k marines (and a bunch of 40k marines too) though is that they don't revere the Emperor as a god, that essential faith isn't there like there is with SoTB and the Living Saints.

I do like the whole mix of silver/black/flames thing from Isstvan being the reason for the LoTD colour schemes but considering the timelines of when all these threads and articles were written I think that's more a happy coincidence rather than Just as Planned.

Just imagine what GW could do with plastic for undead marines.

No more embossed flames and skeleton onesies - proper spectral armoured ghosts.

I think the fluff is fuzzy, but I want to see some flaming ghosts of vengeance.

The LotD were never confirmed to be anyone specific. Everything ever written about the LotD has been through the eyes of in universe characters. And any trial lawyer will tell you that eye witness accounts are the last thing you want to rely on.

The Legion of the Damned probably consist of marines from Isstvan to the Fall of Cadia now.

I would sell a lot of my boxed grey plastic to buy new plastic LotD and a Ferrus of Vengeance.

Archived