Greetings, my fellow Chapter Masters of the Unforgiven, and welcome in the armoury of the Successors.

In this thread I hope to make a comprehensive collection about the Successors of the Dark Angels. The Dark Angels themselves have an established organization, colourscheme and armoury. The Successors are more or less left in the dark, apart from a handful of snippets in books and codices. So anyone that wants to start a Successor Chapter has to do plenty of research on the internet to develop his/her army, even on this forum you have to dig through pages of work to search for inspiration. It’s my intention to make this page a sort of guide for people to decide on colourschemes, gear and all the other tidbits that are needed for painting your guys. And the veterans can steal ideas from each other.

My plan is three-fold:
- Collect all available official info about the various Chapters in one spot. This includes general info, equipment, colour schemes, organization, markings,…
- Collect as much interpretations of fellow brothers. Gaps in the fluff usually get filled up by own interpretations or additions. These earn a place in this collection as well. These will get a separate spot than the official info, Indexed by name of the submitter and unittype.
- And as a final piece, the Liber Astartes (homegrown chapters) connected to the Dark Angels will receive a place as well, if they are willing to share their information of course.

The second part of my goals from above is something I need your help with. Some of you have WIP-logs on this forum. I want to index your interpretation of your chosen Successors, so that future hobbyists can draw inspiration from your rendition of the units. You help me in this by posting a picture of your units in this thread. I will link those posts/pictures to this post according to the unit posted.

So to make it easier for everyone, here are a couple of rules:
- Only place pictures of legal units in the codex, like a tactical squad, a transport, a dreadnought, command squad,… and so on. Please don’t post pictures of single tactical/devastator/assault/scout models. HQ’s are the only exception.
- You can combine a couple of units in one picture, like a squad with their Rhino, but then I will link that one post to two entries, namely an entry for the Tactical squad and one for the transport.
- Use pictures of a decent quality. A fantastic painted model that looks all blurry on camera isn’t very useful if you can’t see what’s in the picture.
- There is no required ‘minimum’ of painting quality. It all about how you paint your models, not how well you succeeded in the attempt.
- An explanation alongside your pictures is encouraged, but not required.
- … I’ll figure more rules out when this project gains some momentum.

Successor official information

Angels of Vengeance

The Angels of Vengeance shun fame & laurels, instead concentrating on their duties to the exclusion of all else. They are a grim and dour organization, and all their companies wear jet black armour in tribute to the original Dark Angels Legion that departed Terra at the beginning of the Great Crusade.

The Angels of Vengeance embody one particular aspect of the Dark Angels’ character above all others – a stubborn devotion to their cause that borders on fanaticism. The Chapter is wont to become embroiled in battles that others would have little hope of winning, and emerging bloodied but victorious. The Angels of Vengeance have willingly suffered horrific casualties in the name of victory – a result of their absolute refusal to retreat in the face of any foe. The Chapter’s very future has been put in jeopardy more than once, beginning with their appalling depletion during the Forgotten Wars. More recently, in the aftermath of the Siege of San Apolis, their losses were so extreme that the Chapter was forced to spend almost a century rebuilding before it could do battle once more.

Appearance
- Black armour with red eye-lenses.
- Black robes for members of the Inner Circle.

gallery_92826_13399_90574.png

Consecrators

The Consecrators’s first appearance is noted during the Second Kuppukin Schism, where they are said to have deployed Chapter strength with no warning whatsoever. At the height of this terrible war, loyalist forces were surrounded within the Sanctum of Silence by a screaming sea of renegades, mutants and traitors. It appeared that the Imperial Forces had but hours to live, until the Consecrators plummeted from the heavens. All vox-hails were ignored, but the Unforgiven went to war on the defenders behalf with a terrible fury. In just six hours, the Adeptus Astartes reduced the traitor horde to little more than broken, twisted corpses. Their task complete, the Chapter withdrew without a word. Other such heroic intercessions have been noted since, the Consecrators always remaining silent. One aspect of the Chapter has been commented on time and again; their brethren bear all manner of holy relics, and utilize ancient patters of armour, weapons and vehicles. It is as though the Consecrators have inherited the most revered arms of the Dark Angels Legion, preserving them and bearing them down through the ages against the foes of the Lion.

Appearance
- Black armour with yellow eye-lenses.
- Red stripe running along the center of their helmet.
- Red robes for senior officers.
- Older patterns of wargear and power armour.
- Squad numbers and designations may be displayed on non-standard places upon their armour.
- Terminators wear black armour, but have bone helmets.

gallery_92826_13399_368073.png

Angels of Redemption

Nothing can dissuade the Angels of Redemption from their mission to hunt down the Fallen. It has been noted that the Chapter has, on occasion, withdrawn from a campaign in order to pursue their own undisclosed ends. It was at the height of the Defence of Gaitlinghive that the Angels of Redemption redeployed at the moment of the Orks' final assault, leaving seven brigades of Gaitlinghive militia alone to face an Orkish horde three million Greenskins strong. The Unforgiven had embarked upon a hunt that led them to capture a Fallen Dark Angel. To them, this victory was well worth the lives of the Gaitlinghive militia, as well as the millions of civilians the had fought to protect. The Angels of Redemption were never called to account for this act, as there were no survivors to press any formal inquiry.

Thanks to the dark rumours of this and many similar events, Imperial forces have begun to decline offers of aid from the Angels of Redemption. More serious repercussions of the Chapter’s actions – or flagrant inaction – have yet to take place, but may well range from Inquisitorial censure to outright excommunication.

Appearance
- Halved green and bone armour, with red eye-lenses.
- Red robes for their senior officers.

gallery_92826_13399_480549.png

Disciples of Caliban

The Disciples of Caliban are a fleet-based Chapter that strikes with blistering speed and ferocity. Their record of deed is impeccable, their conduct exemplary. Still, the Founding of the Disciples of Caliban is shrouded in controversy. It is believed that Dark Angels Supreme Grand Master Anaziel made a request of the High Lords of Terra late in the 37th Millennium for this Chapter to be founded. It is highly unusual for a Chapter Master to make such a demand, and the reasons given by Anaziel for his petition were never shared. Still, dispensation was eventually granted and the Disciples of Caliban were created. The Chapter’s Founding gene-seed was of the highest pedigree, and scrutinised to a standard far beyond even that required by the Adeptus Terra. To this day, the purity of the Chapter's gene-seed is constantly monitored for the slightest sign of corruption or genetic degradation, and it has the most exacting standards of recruitment of any of the Unforgiven. There have been whispers that Anaziel had the Disciples of Caliban created to fulfill a specific purpose, often rumoured amongst the other Unforgiven to be for the single-minded pursuit and capture of the Renegade known as Cypher.

Appearance
- Black and green armour with red eye-lenses.
- Bone robes for their senior officers.
- Squad designations picked out in white.

gallery_92826_13399_275278.png

Angels of Absolution

A force for vengeful destruction in the Emperor’s name, the Angels of Absolution have been sighted throughout the known galaxy, most often seen fighting alongside the Dark Angels themselves. The two Chapters often launch joint operations, such as the crusade against the Arch-Arsonist of Charadon, The Battle at Archangel VII, or the bloody suppression of the Rasputin uprisings.

The doctrines of the Dark Angels and the Angels of Absolution are almost identical, through with one notable distinction. The Angels of Absolution consider their guild expunged by the actions of their forefathers during the Fall of Caliban, and thus fear no spiritual damnation for the actions of the Fallen. However, they still consider themselves responsible for meting out punishment upon the traitors, and take pride in the fulfilment of this duty. The Angels of Absolution are characterized by a certain gallows humour that the rest of the Unforgiven do not share, but they are no less dedicated for all their sardonic banter and bleak irony.

Appearance
- Bone armour with green eye-lenses.
- Green robes.
- Veterans are marked by a red stripe on the helmet and with occasional gold ornaments on their armour.
- Company markings are inverted versions of their parent Chapter.

Note: Their bone powerpacks are a recent change, they wore black powerpacks in previous editions.

Extra info:
- Company markings can be shown on bolters: Black with red stripe for 4th Company, Black for 5th Company and red for 6th Company.
- Veterans of the Siege of Vrak wear the campaign badge on their left leg.The campaign badge is a white skull imposed over an inverted black chevron on a yellow circle. This badge is worn by Marines and Dreadnoughts.

gallery_92826_13399_436213.png

Guardians of the Covenant

It is not known from what Founding the Guardians of the Covenant came, only that they are part of the Unforgiven. Their adopted home world, Mortikah VII, lies near to the western rim of the Imperium, and their mountaintop fortress monastery takes the form of a mighty cathedral whose spire pierces the clouds. The Guardians of the Covenant fight most of their wars within the Segmentum Pacificus, and are utterly merciless in their destruction of the Emperor’s foes. They have spearheaded a number of crusades into the Halo Stars and the Veiled Region, enacting xenocidal purges in which billions of enemy warriors have been put to the sword. This Chapter is known for its exceptionally monastic character. True warrior monks of the Emperor, they are assiduous in studying the teachings of the Emperor and their Primarch, and have penned several tomes that have been added to the Lore of the Lion over the millennia. Their banners, armour and the flanks of their vehicles are covered in spidery, hand-written text extracted from the pages of the Codex Astartes, the Requiem Angelis and many other tomes held sacred by the Space Marines.

Appearance
- Gunmetal armour with green eye-lenses.
- Red robes for their senior officers
- Their armour is often covered in lines of engraved script.

gallery_92826_13399_89891.png

Shoulderpads of known Successors

gallery_92826_13399_176808.png

Interpretations by fellow brothers

Angels of Vengeance

HQ

- Belial by Midnight Angel

- Chapter Master by Midnight Angel

- Company master by Punk possum

- Chaplain by Punk Possum

- Librarian on bike by Midnight Angel

- Terminator Chaplain by Midnight Angel

- Command Land Raider by Punk possum

- Command Rhino by Punk possum

Troops
- Tacticals by Punk possum
- Scouts by Punk possum
Elites
- Terminator Knights by Midnight Angel
- Terminator Command Squad by Midnight Angel
- Dreadnought by Midnight Angel
Fast Attack
- Black Knights by Midnight Angel
- Nephilim Jetfighters by Midnight Angel
- Landspeeder by Midnight Angel

- Assault Marines by Punk possum
Heavy Support

- Devastators by Punk possum

Consecrators

HQ
- Chapter Master by Dark Rage
- Chaplain by Dark Rage

Troops

- Tacticals by Dark Rage.

- Tacticals by EPK

- Tacticals by GreyRavenC

Elites
- Terminators by GreyRavenC

- Contemptor Dreadnought by Dark Rage
- Contemptor Dreadnought by GreyRavenC

- Venerable Dreadnought by Dark Rage

Fast Attack
/

Heavy Support
- Leviathan Dreadnought by GreyRavenC

Angels of Redemption

HQ
- 1st Company Master by Chaplain Lucifer
Troops
- Scouts by Chaplain Lucifer

- Tacticals by Raychu
Elites
- Terminators by Chaplain Lucifer
- Dreadnought by Chaplain Lucifer
Fast Attack
/
Heavy Support
- Whirlwind by Chaplain Lucifer

Disciples of Caliban

Nothing yet

HQ
/
Troops
/
Elites
/
Fast Attack
/
Heavy Support
/

Angels of Absolution

HQ
- Grand Master by Greenz
Troops
- Tactical squad by Greenz
Elites
- Terminators TH/SS by Greenz
Fast Attack
- Nephilim Jetfighter by Syphid

Heavy Support
/

Guardians of the Covenant

HQ
- Command Squad by Epher
- Company Master by Epher
Troops
/
Elites
- Deathwing Knights by Epher
- Contemptor Dreadnought by Grotsmasha
Fast Attack
- Landspeeder by Worsey
- Assault Squad by Epher
Heavy Support
- Land Raider by Epher

WORK IN PROCESS. Edited by GreyRavenC
Tags edited

This is such an awesome plan GRC, you have my full support. I have no doubt that there are a number of us that are more than willing to put in the effort to make a more thorough guide here.

How would you like our info? Post it on here, or PM you?

This is such an awesome plan GRC, you have my full support. I have no doubt that there are a number of us that are more than willing to put in the effort to make a more thorough guide here.

How would you like our info? Post it on here, or PM you?

Thanks man! You may post anything in here if you believe it contributes to the Chapters. I'll link that post to the first post. I want this to be a sort of 'post your Successor here', but a bit more structured so you don't have to wrestle through 20 pages to find 5 tacticals of the Angels of Vengeance. Written info about the Chapters will be updated on the first post as well.

I hoped you would fill out the Angels of absolution with your models,. You have some inspirational stuff in your thread.

Count the Blades of Alaric in.

And nice idea.

I had your guys in mind when writing the 3rd point. Thank you for your support!

Tactical squads

gallery_92826_13391_290819.jpg

gallery_92826_13391_185244.jpg

gallery_92826_13391_10043.jpg

I've taken the liberty to adjust the official scheme of Consecrators with these tacticals. They should be completely black, save for bondingstuds, the red stripe and Chapter-markings. But since an All-black marine looks bland, I added some more colour in my squads. I coloured the top plate of their powerpack, their right knee, weapons and kneestuds red as well, to have some more visual appeal on the tabletop. My sergeant have a bone trim instead. This is my own addition to spot my sergeants easier.

Cataphractii Terminators with Lightning Claws

gallery_92826_13391_173435.jpg

These guys are more or less according to fluff. They mentioned in one of the novels that the Consecrators' terminators wear black armour with a bone helmet to honour their parent chapter. I added in the red pieces to break up the black armour. the red stripe on the sergeant serves for rapid identification, similar to my bone stripe on my tacticals. The grenade launcher (CML count-as) on his back helps as well.

Edited by GreyRavenC

I am very excited for this project! Maybe my Lions will make an appearance.  GRC im happy to help where i can.

What do you mean by 'maybe'? I reserved a spot for your Lions!

:thumbsup: Cool .

Thanks!

I'm away for a couple of days, but I'll have some GotC for you when I get home.

Cheers,

Jono

Awesome! 

Getting the lay-out right is more troublesome than I expected, it will take time and plenty of trial and error before this thing start to look worthwhile.

Sugestions, remarks and ideas are welcome and highly encouraged!

Here is some official info I have on the Angels of Absolution.  My sources are Codex: Angels of Death, Codex: Dark Angels (3rd through 7th Edition), Imperial Armour Volume 2: War Machines of the Adeptus Astartes, Imperial Armour Volume Seven: The Siege of Vraks - Part Three, and Imperial Armour: The Siege of Vraks.

Angels of Absolution wear green robes and tabards.  Their veterans are noted by a red stripe on their helmets, and occaisonally use gold as an ornamentation on their armour.    Their power armour backpacks are black in all source material except for 7th Edition Codex, where they are shown as bone white.  (I emailed GW about this, and the response I got was that they were unsure whether it was a deliberate change or an oversight.  IMO it is probably an oversight with the new line-drawing painting guide, and I personally think it should be disregarded).

Their known boltgun colours are black (5th Company), red (6th Company) and black with a red diagonal stripe (4th Company). Vehicle weapon colours are typically black, occasionally with green highlights. 

Veterans of the Siege of Vraks Campaign wear the Vraks campaign badge on the left leg.  The campaign badge is a white skull imposed over an inverted black chevron on a yellow circle.  It is worn by marines and drednoughts.

Syphid, I knew youd have the concrete canon on the AoA ;)

A couple questions. The bolter casing colours, is that in the SoV book? I can't say I've ever come across that before. I'm pedantic enough that I may have to change companies if thats the case (pun not intended)

Second, I recall there being a discrepancy in regards to the spread about "Veteran squad Raphael, 4th squad, 1st company", even going so far as to show various bolter ammo. FW was implying that members of the 1st company sometimes field PA instead of the customary TDA. Do you know if this was ever corrected?

Syphid, I knew youd have the concrete canon on the AoA ;)

A couple questions. The bolter casing colours, is that in the SoV book? I can't say I've ever come across that before. I'm pedantic enough that I may have to change companies if thats the case (pun not intended)

Second, I recall there being a discrepancy in regards to the spread about "Veteran squad Raphael, 4th squad, 1st company", even going so far as to show various bolter ammo. FW was implying that members of the 1st company sometimes field PA instead of the customary TDA. Do you know if this was ever corrected?

The bolter casings aren't specifically designated anywhere, I've just looked at the company markings on the various colours across the books and noted a pattern. The AoA 4th company is featured in Vraks and they are depicted as having black with red stripe bolters. The 7th Ed codex has 6th co members with red casings, and the previous codexes has black casings on marines with 5th company markings. It's entirely possible that bolter casings can change colours... Consider how often real world militaries change uniforms and weapons over the course of a few decades, now imagine that over a millennium!

As for the AoA Sternguard yes, this was corrected in the re-publication of the Vraks books - Veteran Squad Raphael is now a Company Veteran Squad of the 4th Company, which makes more sense given their squad markings. I have hard copies of both books for comparison.

@Syphid: You've done quite the research. For a loyal AoA, you must've some pictures of your army :wink:

I'm shy! :unsure.: Also I don't have a good camera. And the lighting in my house is bad.

Here's an Angels of Absolution Nephilim Squadron Leader!

Tail markings include Chapter Insignia, Squadron Number (1 designates leader), and Squadron tail markings (black accents). Nose art skulls denote number of flyer kills.

Official information according to Death from the Skies - Nephilim Squadron Markings are typically found on the tail, the tips of the wings, or along the fuselage midway between the engine and the tail. Vehicle number is typically denoted on the left side of the tail, as shown below. Vehicle number can be indicated with a numeral, or a sword icon (1 Sword = 1, 2 Swords = 2, etc)

sml_gallery_13333_11096_108602.jpg

IMG 0408

IMG 0410

I will update with more photos once I have the proper Company and unit markings.

Edited by Syphid

GRC, you are welcome to include my Stoneburners, if you'd like. I'd probably need to go back over all the lore I've posted to see if I need to update anything (such as Captain Semper's long ago suggestion that Akhundras II just become their fortress-monastery), and I don't have all that many completed pictures of full squads yet.

If I could make a suggestion, I would make this a "submissions" thread only, working out the kinks and the like, and build up a more solid "clean" thread at a later time that we can link in the Dark Angels Resources thread.

Edited by Bryan Blaire

I'm shy! :unsure.:  Also I don't have a good camera.  And the lighting in my house is bad.

Here's an Angels of Absolution Nephilim Squadron Leader!

Tail markings include Chapter Insignia, Squadron Number (1 designates leader), and Squadron tail markings (black accents).  Nose art skulls denote number of flyer kills.

Official information according to Death from the Skies - Nephilim Squadron Markings are typically found on the tail, the tips of the wings, or along the fuselage midway between the engine and the tail.  Vehicle number is typically denoted on the left side of the tail, as shown below.  Vehicle number can be indicated with a numeral, or a sword icon (1 Sword = 1, 2 Swords = 2, etc)

*snip*

I will update with more photos once I have the proper Company and unit markings.

For a shy guy, you just took the first entry of the AoA :wink:

That piece of info you've given is general info for the DA-faction. I'll save it in a private folder until I have enough to warrant a new sub-section. Thanks!

If I could make a suggestion, I would make this a "submissions" thread only, working out the kinks and the like, and build up a more solid "clean" thread at a later time that we can link in the Dark Angels Resources thread.

I initially thought about a clean thread with only pictures, but I figured it would be impossible to pull that of (just look at the post your somethingsomething). I would need a very vigilant moderator for that. So I figured that a general thread for Successors, open for discussions and the like, with links to the pictures for people in need of inspiration. I took my inspiration from Captain Semper's ETL-threads.

But since nothing is stopping us from having both, let me know when you believe this thread has filled up enough. Then we can start discussing how to make a clean thread. :smile.:

GRC, you are welcome to include my Stoneburners, if you'd like. I'd probably need to go back over all the lore I've posted to see if I need to update anything (such as Captain Semper's long ago suggestion that Akhundras II just become their fortress-monastery), and I don't have all that many completed pictures of full squads yet.

All Successors are welcome, post your pictures & lore here when ready. I'll wait for your awesome Stoneburners 

Will you be the first Liber to post an entry? :biggrin.:

I will add some of my Blades of the Lion to this thread! Just need to get some painted. They were a Chapter created for a Liber Astartes Campaign and also put forward in the Brotherhood of Angels event too here.

I'll struggle with the Chapter icon as my freehand is terrible but I really fancy painting at least a HQ and a Troops choice :)