Raptors 3rd and 10th company

MajorNese

Greetings, fellow sneaky marines.

As I'm starting a raptors detachment, this might be a good way to discuss some tactics, painting and so on. My previous armies are sneaky guard (Brotherhood of Nod), sneaky heresy marines (Alpha Legion) and the guys who misuse robes by actually painting them in bright colors (skitarii). As guard became boring and straight-forward in 6th, and 30k is pretty clumsy to play against 40k (large, expensive units), I'm starting another project for a light, fun army.

Originally, I started considering raptors when reading the chapter backgrounds for possible deathwatch inclusions, and well, the idea expanded further than the deathwatch project. Having a few raptors shoulder pads from DW boxes is nice, as multiplying them with silicone and resin is easy. They're on the wrong side to be honest, but that's better than freehanding them on wet blended background, which doesn't leave much room for correction.

Another nice bit that can be obtained easily, are larger-calibre bolters with Raptors chapter logo. Just ask your local Custodes player for leftover guardian spears, and cut away the unnecessary stuff. :cool.:

The test marine, which will probably end up as sternguard sergeant:

img-20161229-wa0017l5skl.jpgwhatsappimage2016-12dtsfp.jpeg

As for the coming army, the concept is a rather small, well-concealed ambush force. After springing the ambush (1st turn), mobile reserves show up everywhere to further confuse, and exploit gaps in the enemy formation. This is quite close to my previous armies, so I'm rather confident it will work for the usual games. My restrictions for this is not using all the "relic" wargear lost to the Raptors, like FW heresy gear, un-customized dreads, or even heavy vehicles. The only intended FW addition is the Tarantula, as it is made as an ambush element to augment the astartes' firepower, while being expendable.

The modeling idea is new, replacable wargear instead of the lost relic stuff. The newest armour (MK8) for sergeants instead of older marks, centurions replacing dreads, tarantulas instead of tanks. And a corvus blackstar converted as count-as stormraven. The latter is still an ugly brick, while the blackstar fits the stealth theme. And no useless bling for the infantry, veterans get daggers, pouches, ammo, camo cloaks and looted/adapted weapons instead, for the special-forces-behind-enemy-lines feeling.

Without creating a full list (I prefer to vary regularly), a list of intended units:

-Issodon with sternguard. Wow, what a surprise... :laugh.:

-tacs. LM makes them better than usually, and a heavy weapon feels quite welcome with static guys

-scouts, outflanking in a LS storm, or as backfield cover campers

-devastators, because :censored: everything your bolters won't be able to kill

-tarantulas, probably with lascannons. Lock down areas of approach cheaply, while automated targeting won't make them the most flexible tool

As for the reserve element:

-scout bikers. Now being BS4, they're quite nice

-grav bikers, because my list lacks AP2 otherwise

-stormraven, probably in anti-tank configuration, and with a drop squad

-regular land speeders. Would die instantly if not reserved, and can bring some more firepower while remaining mobile. Combine with locator beacons if possible

As for spitballing a few ideas, a list of possible synergies:

-Issodon granting 3 units Infiltrate is nice for counter-deployment, but also enables some nice Outflank shenanigans via DT. Grav bikers, razorback tac squads, even terminators in a LR redeemer if one wants

-Issodon manipulating reserves means a lot of T2 reserves possible, but probably no T1 reserves (pods) because those would be isolated
-Issodon shrouding a squad is awesome. For most fitting squad, I guess sternguard is ideal. Put into cover for that nice 2+
-scout bikers are a must have in my book. Having the same locator beacon as Issodon, deep striking a unit or two creates surprising fire bases. Not being restricted to teleport DS, a stormraven-inserted squad would work too
-infiltrating&scouting scout bikers would enable no-scatter drop pod, to create a firebase on a flank. Would be unhealthy for the bikers to be on the field T1 though

-snare mines may not be the most obvious choice usually, but with Issodon's sabotage and reserve debuff, this could further slow the enemy down
-techmarine on bike -> improve a ruin to 3+ cover (nice for camo cloak scouts), give 2+ armour and CC punch to the scout bikers
-techmarine with conversion beamer -> join devastators, improve their firepower, and act as CC deterrent with power axe

-if RG relics become legal, the shadow armour would be great. Add a librarian with it to a dev squad, get 2+ cover without even improving the ruin via techmarine, and prescience or whatever

-LandSpeeder Storm blinds nearby enemies, helping to keep other flanking units alive. Also, with the squad inside, provides 2 mobile ObSec units

Obviously, mostly the tacs, scouts and devs will profit from LM, while most other units go without bonus. But including Issodon makes up for that, as he's single-handedly buffing the army considerably by combining half the strategic warlord trait table (Master of Ambush, Strategic Genius, Divide to Conquer) without rolling.

Let's see where this project goes. Any comments and suggestions are always welcome.

Thought of the day: "..." [no raptor found for interview]

Edited by MajorNese

Awesome stuff. Love the colour gradients your achieving!

How many points do you want to put together, of Raptors? Might be worth just starting out with a nice choice Formation, such as the Ravenhawk Assault Group, or a Shadow Force?

Thanks. Colour gradients are done with wet blending from black to Death World Forest. Airbrush might be quicker, but I don't have one, too expensive for now. Upside, after two companies of Alphas, an average marine takes maybe 10min to blend, so this is okay.

How many points do you want to put together, of Raptors? Might be worth just starting out with a nice choice Formation, such as the Ravenhawk Assault Group, or a Shadow Force?

To be honest, I haven't got the slightest clue. I'll build them as long as I find something interesting to add, only repeating models/choices too much becomes boring. Formations is something I never used (30k has more balanced system, called Rite of War), they sound too much like "buy more models, get better rules for free". The regular CAD is fine for now, that way I can at least add one choice after the other, without having to mass produce tacs or something. Maybe later, have to read through them properly...

Not necessarily "buy models, get rules" if you look a little closer. The Formations that work well for different chapters tend to use models that players of those chapters have in abundance already.

I'll use the Bladewing Assault Brotherhood as my example. It is a captain or chaplain, 2-4 assault squads, and 1-3 Vanguard Vets squads. All with jump packs. It is aimed at Raven Guard players, who already have a bunch of jump infantry due to their chapter tactics.

It's only when you start running formations that don't mesh with your chapter tactics that you start having to buy stuff

Not necessarily "buy models, get rules" if you look a little closer. The Formations that work well for different chapters tend to use models that players of those chapters have in abundance already.

Well, I'll have to look into the SM/RG formations for that. My last 40k marine codex was the beginning of 6th ed, neither 7th nor the chapters book read in detail. Adding the 10th company formation would be nice to get a few more FA slots (scout bikers are useful, as is other stuff), but does that require the whole core detachment thingy? One demi-company would be fine though, I'll prefer standard units anyway. And, unlike all the "battle companies" that are just half a company each, I'd play those in full.

But coming from 30k, where every advantage has several restrictions, formations just seem like bad balance. Considering the formations I've faced so far, I'm not really inclined to use something similar. To name a few: "Start 3 armies, get free stuff" (War Convocation), "no one ever dies (especially the boss)" (Iron Hands), "special rule: You die without rolling anything" (Tau) and the ever-present librarius conclave invisible deathstar.

Yeah, some of them are a bit ridiculous.

But to be fair, the Iron Hands one is the chapter tactics and relics, not a formation. You can use a basic CAD and do the same thing with them.

The limitations of formations are that many of them force you to take units that aren't very useful on their own. Like Battle Demi Companies forcing you to take a minimum of 3 tactical squads, while you could put a CAD HQ on a bike and take bike squads instead, which are better in every measurable way.

Almost missed your question about core detachments.

You can take any formation as a stand alone, no core required. It's only if you want to run a Gladius or Talon Strike Force that you need a core plus one auxiliary. All the Codex chapters have a unique Strike Force, but any of them can use any formation they want.

Edited by Realityburn

Almost missed your question about core detachments.

You can take any formation as a stand alone, no core required. It's only if you want to run a Gladius or Talon Strike Force that you need a core plus one auxiliary. All the Codex chapters have a unique Strike Force, but any of them can use any formation they want.

That's good to know. Regular demi-company is something I'll have anyway (intending a "standard" marine chapter, not cherrypicking marathon), using the 10th company formation to free some FA slots will be necessary. Everything else, I'll see when the models are finished.

As for the timetable, currently I'm only waiting on more Custodes/Raptors bolters to copy, everything else is already here.

As a regular codex chapter, I think the new castellans formation is a good shout for Raptors. You'll still have to take a Raptors CAD for Lias, but any other troops can go in the Castellan formation, with Coteaz in that formation they get objective secure + a chance of re-spawning troop choices, access to a wide variety of Imperial stuff and so forth.

Raptors in general are a fun chapter, Lias really makes the army tick.

...and another Raptor. This time Rico "Kawoom", the scout biker. A few corners need cleaning up (always pop up on photos), but for now I'll turn to the mechanical neighbour.

20170117_212609apuht.jpg

20170117_212636k3ui0.jpg

My goal for the coming month is a killteam-sized force for a local painting comp. Nothing I'd win, but it's a deadline, therefore helping me paint.

...and another Raptor. This time Rico "Kawoom", the scout biker. A few corners need cleaning up (always pop up on photos), but for now I'll turn to the mechanical neighbour.

20170117_212609apuht.jpg

20170117_212636k3ui0.jpg

My goal for the coming month is a killteam-sized force for a local painting comp. Nothing I'd win, but it's a deadline, therefore helping me paint.

What size drill bit are you using for that grenade launcher barrels?  I've been using a drill bit that is way too small so my scouts are of course forced to use micro grenades that look stupid :X

What size drill bit are you using for that grenade launcher barrels?  I've been using a drill bit that is way too small so my scouts are of course forced to use micro grenades that look stupid :X

0,5mm for the initial, precise hole (doubles for bolter barrels), 2mm for the full size afterwards. Same as when placing my 2mm magnets, most useful drill size IMO.

That scout biker is amazing. And the first guy would make an awesome Issodon.

Thanks. The first guy was intended as Issodon, but I found bitz to build an even better one. And I kind of went overboard with converting and recasting custodes/raptors bolters, now his gun isn't special any more. :laugh.:

As update, a few almost-finished marines, including the sternguard sergeant, librarian, and a few basic tacticals. 7 more are halfway painted, but I keep building too much to finish those. As you can see, I've started mass-producing the converted raptors bolters, complete with scopes for everyone, which makes my old Issodon scratchbuilt a lot less impressive. Fear not, the new, more stylish one is already 80% built, should be ready next week or so...

aimg_281287s0m.jpg

As for organisation, I've decided to do a standard battle company first, settling with the 3rd. Just not sure yet on whether to do red stripes somewhere (test one: right kneepad) or keep to the IA pics and denote the company in roman number on the kneepad. Just no big red stripes, those just break the camo.

Also not sure of what to do with the left shoulder pad, as squad designation (arrow etc) are either hard to freehand on blended background (no correction possible), or don't fit the color when using decals. The IA pics sometimes have no decoration on the non-chapter shoulder pads, following the habit of real military forces of not disclosing the ranks and roles to possible enemies, but that looks a bit boring on the long run. Any other idea?

Edited by MajorNese

Hate to point this out, as I love what you've done, but isn't chapter symbol supposed to be on the models left shoulder pad?...

Yes, I know. But the only source for shoulder pads besides shapeways is the deathwatch sprue (wrong side), which I happen to have already. Or the FW oop terminator pads, but thats the same side. So I copy what I can get my hands on, freehanding it is awful at that symbol complexity.

Yes, I know. But the only source for shoulder pads besides shapeways is the deathwatch sprue (wrong side), which I happen to have already. Or the FW oop terminator pads, but thats the same side. So I copy what I can get my hands on, freehanding it is awful at that symbol complexity.

That's fair play then - I didn't realise Raptor Shoulder pads / decals we're such a problem :(

Have you looked into the Decal resources on B&C? 

Otherwise, rock on. I still love the wet blending, and the 10 minute paint time. I'd love to see a video of that in action :)

yeah, the fact FW discontinued the decal sheet was a gross disservice to the Chapter they basically made manifest.

We're Raptors, we overcome such obstacles. FW didn't deliver those bolters either, but they do work. :biggrin.:

That's fair play then - I didn't realise Raptor Shoulder pads / decals we're such a problem :sad.:

Have you looked into the Decal resources on B&C? 

Otherwise, rock on. I still love the wet blending, and the 10 minute paint time. I'd love to see a video of that in action :smile.:

I don't like decals, too much fiddling to put on, especially on uneven surface. My previous symbols were a lot easier to freehand (Alpha Legion and Brotherhood of Nod), but the raptors head with all those sharp corners is a no-go unless there is an option to correct afterwards. Which doesn't go well with wet blending the surrounding.

As for the wet blending, already did a video of that for my alphas:

. Not the best, still without using flat brushes with both colors on it all the time, but maybe illustrates it a bit. And yeah, I'm lousy at tutorials...:happy.:

I took the time to watch your video, and tbh I found it very inspiring to try it myself. The video you've done makes it look extremely easy!

I guess practice is the key, so the entire model doesn't become a smudged mess ;)

I took the time to watch your video, and tbh I found it very inspiring to try it myself. The video you've done makes it look extremely easy!

I guess practice is the key, so the entire model doesn't become a smudged mess :wink:

I've done it on a lot of models, it's just practice making it look easy. The movement is the same I used to blend colors on a wet palette, and the next step was big armour plates (contemptor) to get a hang of it on dry underground. You can always correct it with another layer, and "drybrushing" the mixed color you get after too much blending does hide some mistakes on the middle ground. Downside, brushes get worn out regularly.

Also, bigger surfaces just need a bigger brush, not more time. My AL knight took 15min from basecoat to this, just by using the appropriate brush size (one usually used to drybrush terrain at the local Geedub). A few more examples, including blended gradual highlights on vehicles, are here.