Raptors 3rd and 10th company

MajorNese

Thanks guys. And yes, the scion heads fit better than the scout heads, those are clearly a bit too old and weirdly sculpted. Well, at least not as bad as the catachan line, with their balloon arms and weird heads. :biggrin.:

By the way, did you use your patented two-brush blending technique on the screens inside the Land Raider?

Yep, a tryout with Maccrage blue and Lorthern blue. Usually I do Lorthern blue + glaze for bright blue surfaces, but it takes long to dry.

• 2 weeks later...

After reading the new astartes index, I thought it useful to finish my count-as Shrike model that has been standing around on the painting table for too long. In two weeks we'll get the Issodon profile, then I'll decide which of both will lead my Raptors in the local campaign. Crappy cellphone pic...have to get my DSLR back...

shrikoraxjhxjb.jpg

Edited by MajorNese

Yeah I preordered the new book too. Hoping the raptors Chapter Tactic will be fee in the future. But at least the new IA 2 v3 was not a $100 again.

Really digging your Shrike figure

Yeah I preordered the new book too. Hoping the raptors Chapter Tactic will be fee in the future. But at least the new IA 2 v3 was not a $100 again.

We at least get Issodon (though he doesn't have a model), and chapter tactics will appear later. Also, enough new unit ways (sternguard, primaris) to make shooty tacticals models more viable than during last codex.

And the Shrike model...well, it's Corax, though intentionally simplified to represent a captain (maybe a primaris one). Got it cheap but damaged, so why not. Knee raptors logo is casted and formed on, legs repositioned (otherwise it's dancer pose without the display base), and a Mor Deythan head instead of the primarch's. Unlike the GW Shrike model, this would even explain how he can use a bolt pistol while carrying two lightning claws.

After reading the new astartes index, I thought it useful to finish my count-as Shrike model that has been standing around on the painting table for too long. In two weeks we'll get the Issodon profile, then I'll decide which of both will lead my Raptors in the local campaign. Crappy cellphone pic...have to get my DSLR back...

shrikoraxjhxjb.jpg

I bow down to you for having the audacity to take the Primach and go "hmmmmmm how can I make him a Raptor"

Fandanadosii!!!!

Superb! I'm literally clapping!!! (col in modern day mobile speak)

I await Lias too Brother.

I bow down to you for having the audacity to take the Primach and go "hmmmmmm how can I make him a Raptor"

Thank you. Well, for the price I got him for, the decision wasn't exactly hard. The bigger issue was the wulfen grade dancing pose Corax has, once you remove the display base. And Issodon is already on page 2 of this thread, the guy with the custodes spear derived sniper rifle. :happy.:

Now on to build more for the Hidden Hands event, currently basecoated are 5 sniper scouts and 5 assault marines.

Thank you. Well, for the price I got him for, the decision wasn't exactly hard. The bigger issue was the wulfen grade dancing pose Corax has, once you remove the display base. And Issodon is already on page 2 of this thread, the guy with the custodes spear derived sniper rifle. :happy.:

Now on to build more for the Hidden Hands event, currently basecoated are 5 sniper scouts and 5 assault marines.

I meant I await his rules Bro to see how he makes us Raptors play differently to the standard codex. Your Lias is already stored in my inspiration folder

• 4 weeks later...

Did you see Duncan painted up a Primaris Raptor today? :wink:

Can you squeeze MkVI helmets on the Primaris guys?

There's lots of space to fit MK7, already did it with the ancient, even more space with the gravis. Head and shoulders are designed to be compatible with existing kits, and there's even more space for big helmets than on MK6/7. You can even fit a beakie in inceptor gravis armour and still turn the head as far as the field of vision would allow.

• 1 month later...

Haven't updated this topic in a while. Some stuff you might have seen on the Hidden Hands topic:

-Regular boltercessors. Replaced the helmets, added some taped magazines and casted logos onto the shoulder pad. Nothing very unusual.

http://abload.de/img/aimg_34857yusu.jpg

-Reivers. Tacticool bolters, pouches, stripped-down stealth armour, that is so damn Raptor-y, those had to come. Used MK8 helmets, as those are the most low-profile ones out there, fitting the lighter armour. And made a marker for the stun grenades, to remember who is debuffed right now.

http://abload.de/img/aimg_3487x7sq7.jpg

-primaris captain with MC stalker boltrifle. Added a shoulder stock (from a hellblaster), sling, straight magazine (tigrus pattern bolter), casted bipod and silencer to the gun to make a regular Dark Imperium primaris look the part. Upside-down quick-draw magazine pouches, a lieutenant's arm computer, should fit.

http://abload.de/img/aimg_3494qzs0w.jpg

-5 stalker boltrifle intercessors. Again, casted bipod and silencer, MK6 helmets (need to file down the gorget), just a different way to use all those boltercessors from the DI box.

http://abload.de/img/aimg_35028dsz3.jpg

As for the next two projects:

One is a redemptor dreadnought, which I'll use in the local campaign. Managed to cast the Raptors rhino front plate logo onto the armour shield...good thing GW supplies us with 2 of those, in case this went south. A few pouches, smoke launchers (to explain the -1 to hit), casted logo on the shoulder. Guns are magnetized, because why not.

The other project, the Thunderhawk, will be my centerpiece for the army and my AoP board. Assembly (minus the unter-wing weaponry and pilots) was done in just one entire day, but painting so far only included an hour of very rough gradients. Death World Forest doesn't cover black in one go, so I'll have to redo it anyway, at which point I'll clean up my currently messy parts. This time I went for one overall blend (top to bottom) like on tanks, unlike the every-surface-for-itself approach (like on the Blackstar). The latter just didn't work out with so big flat surfaces, divided by small lines, and just created highlights where they shouldn't be.

aimg_35059bjii.jpg

aimg_3507h0k95.jpg

Edited by MajorNese

Your stuff looks great! And thanks for the blending tutorial. I've been holding off on vehicles for a while now but I think I'll have to give it a go with my landspeeder storm after seeing yours. I may be able to hold off on getting that airbrush a little longer...

Thanks. When you try blending, maybe start with the larger, flat areas to get the hang of it. I started with rounded ones back in the day, that was rather suboptimal. The LSS should be a good one for that, as it has both larger areas to start and smaller areas to refine the technique. Which paints do you intend to blend?