Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

The state of B&C members and our responces to posts

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

Miyu

Miyu

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 70 posts
  • Chapter Name: DYI Astartes & Iron Warriors

Hey everyone!

I’ve been a follower of the B&C for a long time now, several years by now. I’ve never been a heavy poster, but I have found a lot of super nice posts, ideas and general brother/sisterhoodly love for our shared hobby and the members in between.

But lately, and this comes mostly from reading the News and rumors section, I find myself reading the posts of our beloved forum with more and more sadness. A dull ache in my belly and heart.

I see the need for moderators to step more and more in charge, delete posts and post warnings, and the saddest part is, that is necessary.

I don’t know whats happening, though it is happening across many other “social networks” like facebook and so on. But people are generally becoming more and more grouchy, vehement or plain out nasty in their comments.

At times it feels like that especially the news and rumors part, is a place to went frustrations and anger over how they perceive the game (right or wrongly) and the need to blare this out to everyone. It’s a free world, yes. But its also a world were bad thoughts influence people better than good thoughts.

What happened to the feeling of joy for our online friends, our shared hobby? Is it nowadays best shared by being overly pessimistic, and frankly that’s how many of our shared posts sounds like. It could be that I am reading the posts wrong, that I see them in too dark a light, yet... that is what it seems like to me.

A good example for of this Fall of Cadia event. There is so much antipathy in that threat that reading it got me more to dread the new content than actually looking forward to it. And I adore anything new that is even remotely sister inspired, being my army of choice. And I was so thrilled that the Black Templars were mentioned as well.

I dont even know if I am breaking the B&C forum rules by typing this, but it’s a plea to us all. Let good thoughs flow from us. Be optimistic when there is new content coming, even if its not for your faction or your army. You can always be happy for others getting a bit of new toys.

In the end time change, so does the game, so does we all. But lets not be that guys that constantly puts a bad taste on everything.

I am sorry if I am stepping on someones toes. I am talking to no one in particular, but rather to us all.

Hugs and love to you all. 

• Brother Chaplain Kage, Gothical, Jack of the Pelt and 8 others like this

Brother Chaplain Kage

Brother Chaplain Kage

++ SACERDOS UMBRA ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 5,600 posts
  • Chapter Name: VIII Legion - Crimson Sons

You're not breaking any rules by typing this, and a lot of mods feel the same way you do (maybe all of us?). We don't want to hide posts and censor members. Really, we don't, but as you pointed out, we are having to step in more and more often over the last couple of years.

• Noserenda, derLumpi, Son of Carnelian and 1 other like this

dVIGLrG.png TMRPHVx.pngQiZFXmD.png

Son of Carnelian

Son of Carnelian

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,672 posts
  • Chapter Name: Crimson Lords

I've noticed it too, and from brothers and sisters who I respect deeply. I won't speak to what my theory is on the wider social networking sites, but I can tell you what I believe is happening with the Fall of Cadia situation specifically. 

For many, many veteran hobbyists, this event strikes a raw nerve because it already happened. Heck, one of my earliest experiences with the hobby was manning the guns on a massive 13th Black Crusade megabattle put on by the official U.S.A-based GW Battlewagon team. People have fond memories of that campaign, either because it represented a high point in their hobby output, or because the results affected the story, or because they made new friends, or any other positive reason. The fact remains, it already happened. So many older fans are reacting to this in the same way some Star Wars fans reacted to the introduction of old characters from the Expanded Universe into the new canon: it looks like the old thing, but it's under new management. 

The second reason I can come up with explains why some younger hobbyists, who didn't participate in the old Black Crusade, are still railing against the introduction of the Fall of Cadia. GW recently rebooted another game (I won't mention it here but you know the one) and it was met with, shall we say, a mixed reaction. Now, over time, people seem to have grown fond of that system and its many quirks, but the fact remains that GW has shown a willingness, heck, even eagerness to throw out an existing setting in favor of a new one. This makes some people very nervous, as they didn't like the last reboot and fear a similar treatment for their beloved Warhammer 40,000. 

We can debate the merits of these positions all day. Some members of our community already have. But I would urge every member of the board to remember a few things:

1.) We all love the hobby. Ever single one of us here loves some aspect of this hobby, from the books, to the video games, to the table top, to just modeling and painting, we all love at least one aspect of that. No one here wants to see the hobby hurt in any way and when they disagree with you, they are only doing so because they think some part of what they love is endangered.

2.) We all come to the hobby with our own baggage and interpretation of it. Some people use it as an outlet for the darkness they see in the world around them. Others like the setting when heroes defy the odds and claim miraculous victory. But ever single person has a different view of the setting that shapes how they discuss it. 

3.) The Mods are not evil. They are here to create order in an inherently chaotic (heh) setting. If you have questions or concerns, take them to the mod staff politely and I bet dollars to donuts they'll listen.

4.) At the end of the day, it is, no matter how much stock we put in it, just a game. Only fiction. My hero on these boards, Heathens (also known as the Hyena) took some stances on the product that I couldn't agree with because I came at the setting from a different angle. But he channeled his disillusionment with GW's direction of the setting into productive projects that still take my breath away. We should all aspire to be like him. 

All in all, I love this board and I respect my brothers and sisters, even when we disagree. We won't let a little thing like the Fall of Cadia tear us apart. 

We're the Bolter and Chainsword, the best 40k community on the Internet or anywhere else. Believe that. 

• Brother-Captain Arkhan, Gothical, Marine Errant and 10 others like this

Captain Idaho

Captain Idaho

++ ARGENTARIUS IRACUNDUS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 13,203 posts
  • Chapter Name: Ultramarines
The explanation is likely quite a deep discussion regarding social trends, "millenial entitled expectations", economic stability, GW consumer interactions and pricing etc. That does take us off our Mission Statement.

Keep that in mind when posting folk (as well as the usual rules), as the topic is in my crosshairs.
  • Brother Captain Ed, Son of Carnelian, Halandaar and 1 other like this

Leif Bearclaw

Leif Bearclaw

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,955 posts
  • Chapter Name: Space Wolves

Frankly, it may have something to do with the perceived state of the game. For all the talk going around of a GW 'golden age', the game's in the worst position I've ever known, and my hobby enthusiasm is at an all time low. It's just not enjoyable to play against many armies these days, especially at the cheese level of my meta, which can't help but colour one's impressions. Then there's the AoS precedent. As Son of Carnelian said, there's now a precedent for being worried about what they're doing to 40k, and frankly there's enough evidence that we're already in an equivalent 'End Times' event for 40k.

So there's plenty for a pessimist to take umbrage with in modern GW/40k. Then you mix in the way that the happy are more likely to just be happy and keep silent, so then there's an upsurge in overall negativity.

You can always be happy for others getting a bit of new toys.

Theoretically yes. But while I can only speak for myself, it's not that simple. A lot of what GW has done recently, especially with the recent Warzones and fluff progression is bad. Really, really bad. From models so impractical I honestly wonder if anyone in the studio even transports an army any more (granted, this is more of a problem for AoS, but it's creeping into 40k too, with stuff like Celestine) to fluff decisions completely antithetical to what I enjoy. So a lot of the time it doesn't seem like it's 'others getting a bit of new toys', but rather 'they're destroying my hobby for the sake of some anons'. Hence the antipathy.

Hell, I've been avoiding N&R recently for precisely this reason, I know I'm going to hate something like Fall of Cadia, so I can't be bothered with a play by play which will just bring me down, and the only contribution I'd have would be overwhelmingly negative. I'll just find the AAR after the book drops and see how sad it makes me. Thing is, this is becoming the norm for me. The only release I've been genuinely excited for in the last few years was Deathwatch, which turned out to be a rather damp squib, certainly not living up to my expectations/hopes.

But that's just my few, from one of the more negative, pessimistic sods on this forum.

• Lexington and Trevak Dal like this

Miyu

Miyu

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 70 posts

It is not that I cannot feel empathy for you and your thoughts. I truly do feel that. It just kinda gets me all hollow and sad too, to read how dismal people are becoming. Where as the game is no longer what it used to be, even the lore is changing, we too must change.

Memories are mostly always greener, like the evergreens of yonder (is it called that even?). Cherish that and try to grow to love the game now, because it will change. Question is, will we as well, by cherishing the game as it was and start to look upon it with other eyes now?

I'm a bit naive. But I love this hobby. Mostly I love converting, painting and building my own lore. I am not a good gamer. I get thrashed repeatedly, mostly because I cannot keep my self updated with all the new rules, campaginbooks, formations and what now. Yet, its alright,because I have fun with my gaming community. Trust me, I can grow furious at times as well (which is why I loathe xenos) but, in the end, it just makes it a dull experience.

• Drefanus Aldwinius and Son of Carnelian like this

helterskelter

helterskelter

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,484 posts
  • Chapter Name: Night Lords Legion
Conversely we have some fantastic sections of the board that don't see the same spotlight as news and rumours/the black library section and largely only the reeeallly controversial subjects see the melta. It just depends on who is typing and how they decide to express themselves at the end of the day, I can't say I've never gotten heated with people because I have. I should know better but we all have bad days.
It will probably calm down once the really hyped stuff is released and we know better what's going on. What doesn't help with some is GW went into lockdown mode, fired people that were leaking things they didn't want leaking, and set up the new system of "we'll send you preview material, say a word before we say you can and this pile of bricks will make friends with your channel/blog/forum".
All will be well soon enough
gallery_48988_10980_7442.png

My referal code for eternal crusade:EC-MHXKY9RLYIIEH

Halandaar

Halandaar

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,532 posts
  • Chapter Name: Minotaurs

Well, while I agree that there is a lot of negativity and complaining going on, i'm not surprised or shocked by it and not in any way convinced that it's a new thing. There has been an undercurrent of relentless negativity in this hobby as far back as I can remember with complaints about pricing, models, fluff, campaigns, stores, design, systems, art and policy taking the spotlight at various times. I mean, we're only now getting back a GW that engages with it's playerbase after "fans" essentially forced them to go dark over a decade ago by just haranguing them about EVERYTHING. Remember the old GW forums? Probably best if you don't. And what about WarSeer? That particular forum has been "lovingly" described as WhineSeer for years due to the level of vitriol it used to generate.

I can't even count the number of different things that have been heralded as "the death knell of 40k/GW" which obviously has not been the case,and then you look at the guy who straight up just set fire to his Fantasy army when AoS came out. Hyperbole is king and no overreaction is too much in an age of anonymity, instant connectivity and unlimited audience.

Of course, this is by no means restricted to GW; the attitude of relentless non-constructive criticism and trolling is just a reality of any activity on the internet that involves other humans. See the forums of any major video game, or the comments section under any video or news article. The way that things are unfolding  at the moment does not appeal to some people and it's those people shouting louder than everybody else, as is always the way. The worst part is that genuine, constructive criticism often gets lost under the waves of bile.

The thing you have to remember is that people who are satisfied comment less vociferously and take less action because they don't see a need for change. For example, you'd never believe from the level of negativity on the World of Warcraft forums that some 10 million(!!) people play it. Why would all those people bother if it was as bad as the forums suggest? 

For all the talk going around of a GW 'golden age', the game's in the worst position I've ever known,

A lot of what GW has done recently, especially with the recent Warzones and fluff progression is bad. Really, really bad. 

Case in point: There wouldn't be "talk going around of a GW golden age" if everybody shared the opinion that the game is in "the worst position" ever and a lot of content is "really, really bad". Sure, some people do agree with that assessment and probably just persist with the game because they've always played it and they don't want their valuable hours and thousands of (insert currency here) to have been wasted. But the majority play/engage because they still enjoy it. 

(Just for clarity Leif, I'm not having a go at you and I agree to an extent that 40k is a bit of a mess at the moment, I'm just pointing out opinion vs fact)

Anyway, try not to get too down about people complaining. Sure it's negative and highly visible, but this forum remains (in my opinion) one of the better ones out there for quality of content, interaction and overall enthusiasm and positivity for the thing it exists to discuss, and in most cases complaints are actually well worded, considered and accompanied by suggestions on how to resolve the issues at hand.

TL;DR - Some people are just gobby and want things their own way, don't let it bother you.

• Drefanus Aldwinius likes this

ProjectLogsBanner_zpst6u6alrs.png MinotaursBanner_zpss9debfxv.png AlphaLegionBanner_zpsbvnjdfkj.png ThousandSonsBanner_zpsepvbqnia.png EventsBanner_zpshae9krd5.png xenophile_zpshyoyy9dy.png ifexiv_zpsotfxrnnv.png ETL_2016_Badge_04_Forum_Champion_Codex_z ETL_2016_Medal_01_Custos_Fidei04_zpscciv L_T_2_2016_Medal_zpsjpjntd9q.gif L_T_3_2017_Banner_zpsiln0srdt.jpg

Realityburn

Realityburn

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 814 posts
  • Chapter Name: Raven Guard and DIY WIP
Something I've noticed from my perspective, is how discouraging the community has been to someone like myself who is coming back to the hobby after a long absence.

I stumbled across a few novels as used books in the gift shop at the hospital I work at, and it rekindled my interest in the setting and got me interested in digging out my old models and playing again.

I still haven't played a game since I've been back, but I have sworn allegiance to a specific chapter of Marines and got my wife a metric butt ton of Nids (the army she played before life got in the way). I've read a few books, and have been slowly re-learning how to paint. I've been amused by 1d4chan's irreverent take on the game and its lore.

I have very little free time to spend on hobbies, and I'm choosing to spend it playing Warhammer 40k. I'm enjoying myself thus far, but to be brutally honest, the community is so overwhelmingly negative about some things it is making me wonder if coming back was a bad idea.

And the fact that I feel that way about something I otherwise enjoy, in a word, sucks.
  • Graymane likes this

Brother Chaplain Kage

Brother Chaplain Kage

++ SACERDOS UMBRA ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 5,600 posts
  • Chapter Name: VIII Legion - Crimson Sons

I'm a bit naive. But I love this hobby. Mostly I love converting, painting and building my own lore.

I wouldn't say that you're naive, because you're cognizant of several sides of this issue, but simply have a different perspective. Like you, my enjoyment for the hobby comes more from converting, painting (I almost typed that with a straight face), and building my own lore. I haven't played a game in probably fifteen years, mostly due to the sad state of players where and when I was still playing the game, but also because the building and converting side of it was always much more interesting for me, so my perspective is a lot different than most of the people on this board.

Since I don't play, and I tend to make up my own stories to go along with my models, changing rules and fluff that will absolutely blow up the forums have absolutely no effect on me. Templars suddenly using librarians? Don't care. Grey Knights killing Sisters for their virgin blood? Meh. Marines teaming up with Necrons? The enemy of my enemy is my temporary friend. It all rolls off me like bullets to Léon.

Why?

Not playing the game is only a small part of it, honestly. None of that bothers me because I make my own Warhammer 40k universe in my head and I get to share it with other people through my figures and writing. For a long time, I assumed everyone was that way, but after seeing countless meltdowns for little fluff changes that were meaningless to me, I realized I may be more alone in the way I see things than I thought. I've even tried to understand how it can affect some people so much -- to instantly turn them against a Chapter or Legion or whatever that they've loved for years and poured so much time, money, and effort into -- but it's a mindset I can't seem to understand. A perspective I can't see.

In the end, I think it all comes down to the perspective of each individual and their level of "passion" about 40k.

• Grand Master Belial, Brother-Captain Arkhan, Drefanus Aldwinius and 2 others like this

dVIGLrG.png TMRPHVx.pngQiZFXmD.png

IronDrake28

IronDrake28

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,277 posts
  • Chapter Name: The Ultramarines
Realityburn, if you're enjoying it, that's all that matters. You shouldn't give a damn about what 'The Community' thinks. It's usually just the louder ones who spout the constant negativity. Just take a look at all the logs on this very forum to see the enthusiasm people have for the hobby!

Whilst being overly positive about something isn't much better than being overly negative in some cases, there's definitely some truth to the fact that if you see something getting a bad reaction you're more likely to think/expect it to be bad, even if it's just the vocal minority's opinion.

I wish we could all just voice our opinions, and they could be left to sit rather than being picked apart. (Which has happened in N&R to me a couple of times :/ )

The internet provides a great way to be informed on all things, but when something gets hated it seems to just snowball into a meme of hatred. Just look at AoS and No Man's Sky. It's cool to hate on those things. Which sucks. Why can't the douchenozzles in the world just let people form their own opinion on something rather than stuffing their own into our faces?

Bleh. I'll stop now, before I rant for another hour...

Edited by IronDrake28, 10 January 2017 - 10:08 AM.

• Sith'ari, Halandaar and 40Kcollector like this

Arkaniss

Arkaniss

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 901 posts
  • Chapter Name: Order of the Sacred Rose

I understand where this is coming from but I think it's not the fact that people can be negative about something, opinions vary and everyone is different of course, but more that they can be... shall we say persistent in that negativity? It's fine to post about something and grumble that it's not what you would have liked or whatever - that's your two pennies worth and it's as valid as anyone else's opinion. However when it's beating the proverbial dead horse about it, there really is no need. Considering a lot of conversations about 40K are extremely subjective (a model/codex/supplement/formation/etc... can both be awesome and terrible - depends on the tastes of who's looking!) I don't see why people have to be so militant in insisting that their opinion is the correct one?

It's perhaps an internet thing, it's not going away anytime soon. I would take this opportunity to comment on the B&C mods and say I think they do a fantastic job. Of course I don't like that they have to moderate more often these days but I like that they do. The B&C is a tightly run ship and that's why I like it here. In fact sometimes I wish they moderated more ruthlessly on the N&R board, if I have a busy few days and can't get on the B&C it's tiresome when I return to trawl through all the wish listing and waffle to get to the interesting parts laugh.png

• m_r_parker, WarriorFish, Jareddm and 5 others like this

gallery_27469_1702_14298.gifgallery_30308_9518_4931.pnggallery_30308_9518_3604.pngETL_2016_Medal_01_Custos_Fidei02.gifgallery_30308_9518_11634.pnggallery_30308_9518_8793.jpg

gallery_30308_9518_5514.png

Miyu

Miyu

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 70 posts

You hit the nail Arkaniss :) with your post.

And while my initial post may seem like I experience nothing but negativity here, it is far from whats true. I enjoy the forums here mainly because of its openminded members and that they are keenly interested (positively so) on all ideas, models, armies, conversions and what not. Thats exactly the hugest reason why this forum is such a sweet heart for me.and that is thanks to you Users, to you Mods and those who run the entire show. biggrin.png

• Arkaniss likes this

Wargamer

Wargamer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 256 posts

My bitterness stems from the fact that, if copyright law was enforced the way it was originally intended, 40K would now be open-source and we could all collectively tell GW to swivel when they pretend Knights have any place in a platoon-level skirmish game.

• Space Truckin and D3L like this
"Taekar!" - Supernovan motto, battle cry, insult and general-purpose word.

the jeske

the jeske

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 18,392 posts

It is not that I cannot feel empathy for you and your thoughts. I truly do feel that. It just kinda gets me all hollow and sad too, to read how dismal people are becoming. Where as the game is no longer what it used to be, even the lore is changing, we too must change.

Memories are mostly always greener, like the evergreens of yonder (is it called that even?). Cherish that and try to grow to love the game now, because it will change. Question is, will we as well, by cherishing the game as it was and start to look upon it with other eyes now?

I doubt this has much to do with memories. Back in the past [lets say even 2ed ago] it was more fun to play a faction like lets say nids or IG[wasn't great, but it was fun enough for people to want to play the faction. Right now you need extra entice to want to even pick up, much less less main those factions]. And while yes in the short run some people playing some faction can say, well its the other dudes times in the sun, my time will come soon* , for some faction GW soon is 10+ years [ask DE or Orc players about this], and in some cases the new shining stuff isn't shiny. A lot of people play the game out of inertion. When you have 2-3 factions and a few thousand points in each it is way easier to stomach[specialy if you bought those models in the past], new edition or stuff one does not like. From a strickt personal perspective I can for example say that 2-4th ed were the most fun to play for me, and 5th was a huge eye opener.

In the end I think,  it is much much harder to explain a person who just spent 500$ on an army, that he A bought the wrong ones B he needs extra books, because his army happens to be one of those that work only as a multi faction conglomarate C even if he does buy the good stuff, and the other faction stuff, he will be tier 2, and his friends[who picked their armies just the same way as him] will have to buy  extra models/play with different rules for him to have fair games.
 And from a strickt game perspective that is a big problem, as other systems [out of which not a single one is perfect] do not have such problems. There terms like "play with what you like" bring up a cognitive disonance when used for w40k, while for something like X-wing,Infinity etc it is not the case.

As for negative stuff goes. Now I understand some people may not like to hear negative stuff. Specialy people that do not play the faction/model or are not touched by a new policy, but in the end there is stuff that is just bad. One can't say book X is good, or GW policy is awesome, if it is something like the AoD book[army that has auto lose build in to its core rules]. If all formus were just talking about the good stuff, and not talking about some stuff at all [when stuff is realy bad], it would not be good. Echo chamber effect is a bad thing. Much worse then someone reading or hearing stuff one may not like, or agree on.

Matt Ward returns to W40k.
Roboute Guilliman practically becomes new Emperor.

Business as usual.

Charlo

Charlo

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 13,232 posts
  • People don't like change.
  • People are inherently quick to make assumptions on small bits of information.
  • People with internet anonymity will usually act worse.
  • People really like 40k and their factions and will feel slighted when forum member/ GW does them wrong.
  • GW have had the busiest release schedule in years so the NRA is now super active and always onto the next thing, in a perpetual state of "okay that's done what is new now? Oh it's not what I wanted... SCREW GW."
  • People think they understand business when they don't: "Why did GW rush that codex." "Oh they put out these terrible rules without thinking." "If GW had half a brain they'd do this."
  • Warhammer is mainly art and design at it's core, it's all subjective and down to opinion.

Add all of that together and it can create for some pretty negative posts that echo around until they are big and nasty.

Keep the faith in your fellow frater, and use that report button liberally if the need arises.

• Sandlemad, Arkangilos, Teetengee and 3 others like this

Slowly reaching for the highest number of posts on the BnC - TOP 10 ACHIEVED

gallery_62972_10568_73818.jpggallery_48988_6285_4379.pngCE%20Sep_zps3s8x9ggk.jpg

In Their Fists They Carry Death - The Legiones Custodes

++Blood Angel Successor WIP Thread++

++Index Astartes Sanguine Visions++

++Heresy DG Thread++

the jeske

the jeske

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 18,392 posts
People think they understand business when they don't: "Why did GW rush that codex." "Oh they put out these terrible rules without thinking." "If GW had half a brain they'd do this."

Realy ? I doesn't realy take someone to have a PhD for someone to question, why GW makes some books the way they do marines or eldar[and it is not about power, but about what units the basic codex wants people to run ergo buy] and something like orcs or IG within the same development cycle done by the same design team.

Or when they make models like ogryn[new models, investment in to new molds etc], and then give them rules that pro activly discourage people from taking them. I would understand doing something like that for models do no update[or which have easy stand ins done by other firms, including FW], but it is not impossible to explain it is a new thing.

Also GW offten does the stuff people were telling them to do. Marine players of the chaos kind were telling GW to make a legion book for them. It took GW 6 failed tries to finaly make one, and behold it is the best accepted book for chaos since 3.5 ed.

• Volt likes this

Matt Ward returns to W40k.
Roboute Guilliman practically becomes new Emperor.

Business as usual.

Wargamer

Wargamer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 256 posts

I'm going to go out on a limb and blame GW themselves for this situation. Specifically, the switch to plastics and finecast. Have you ever seen an argument between players when one of them has the old (metal) dreadnought on the table? No, of course not, because having a metal dread thrown at you from four feet away is going to land you in hospital. Even a well-aimed Deep Strike by a metal terminator captain will leave a lasting bruise. But finecast? Pah! They'll probably dissolve in mid-air due to friction long before hitting you, and plastic models will bounce harmlessly off.

We need a return to metal models so that peace and happiness will reign between gamers once more! At least, amongst the surviving gamers who didn't get their face used as a metal thunderhawk's landing pad.

• Ancient Helveticus, SlaveToDarkness, Corsovitt and 5 others like this
"Taekar!" - Supernovan motto, battle cry, insult and general-purpose word.

Doghouse

Doghouse

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,802 posts
  • Chapter Name: Summoners

I think things may settle down a bit once 8th edition comes along.

I've never really had any problems with anyone on the B&C which is why I've been posting here since the EZBoard days, I do tend to have quite a thick skin though and not take myself seriously which helps. 

• 40Kcollector likes this

TRUESCALE SPACE MARINE TUTORIAL

CURRENT PROJECT LOG: IMPERIAL FISTS AND IRON WARRIORS

http://www.bolterand...6/#entry4559676

Arkangilos

Arkangilos

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,415 posts
  • Chapter Name: Sanguinary Crusaders

• People don't like change.
  • People are inherently quick to make assumptions on small bits of information.
  • People with internet anonymity will usually act worse.
  • People really like 40k and their factions and will feel slighted when forum member/ GW does them wrong.
  • GW have had the busiest release schedule in years so the NRA is now super active and always onto the next thing, in a perpetual state of "okay that's done what is new now? Oh it's not what I wanted... SCREW GW."
  • People think they understand business when they don't: "Why did GW rush that codex." "Oh they put out these terrible rules without thinking." "If GW had half a brain they'd do this."
  • Warhammer is mainly art and design at it's core, it's all subjective and down to opinion.

Add all of that together and it can create for some pretty negative posts that echo around until they are big and nasty.

Keep the faith in your fellow frater, and use that report button liberally if the need arises.</p>

Completely agree (YOU SEE! That's like... a few times in only a couple days :P )It also doesn't help that when people don't like something, rather than stating they don't like it with a reason, they instead go way too far and say, "This is TRASH." They don't just stop at saying they don't like it, they keep going and try to obliterate it. That just makes things worse.

Previously known as Telanicus

IA Sanguinary Crusaders The Crusaders of Blood (Revised, still under some work) And WiP Page
IT Warriors of Cain Unholy Chosen The Chosen of the Unholy Imperium of Cane.

gallery_29004_10383_20021.jpg

Servant of Dante

Servant of Dante

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,531 posts
  • Chapter Name: Order of the Valorous Heart
First I agree that the faction specific sub forums are generally pretty relaxed.

Anyway, my complaining is, I suppose part of my coping with change :P I'd hate to think that I'm ruining someone else's enjoyment of the forum. In the case of the new book, sure I have some fundimental issues with it, but there's stuff I'm excited about too, but maybe I've let that get lost in my posts.

RikuEru

RikuEru

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 572 posts
  • Chapter Name: Space Wolves
Well, I saw it more and more in the last few months too - especially in the News & Rumor, Amicus Aedes and in the Black Library Threads.

Some topics quickly devolve into "Member Xth Edition/Codex?" or people discussing THEIR concrete opinion on a topic - ...or, no matter the actual topic of the thread, aaaaalways discussing why "your" Legion is the best/worst or bad/good presented, and so on...
...and that's distracting and almost innevitally turns into echo chambers or trench warfare.
(Already have an example for that in this very topic, going far away from the main question *cough*)

...which often just depends on the topic. ( a la Dark Angels saying they won at Dulan, Space Wolves claiming the same)
We all have our favourite Legions/Chapters/Characters/Theories/whatever.

But often enough the matter can really be -discussed-among "equals", even when "we" disagree.
But there are certain topics that... 'hurt' someone more than others, for whatever reason, and they "lash out" - or it was percieved as such. ...and then others feel attacked and have to fight back.
Some people too, after a while, loose sight of their own bias. And so on.

...there are rare occasions were some just "troll" or provoke for fun's sake. Or because it is a topic they feel they know more about than ANYONE else (in a multi-layered hobby like this, I doubt you can ever achieve that status).

BUT:
...look into the Threads of The Forge or the different Sub-faction forums.
There is where you find the real gold of the community.
Friendly discussions (NOT without debate), compliments, hints and tips.

...and after a while you'll get to know the faces around you.
Those that have certain weak-points that trigger them to start their mantra-like explanations or views.
Those that love the old lore, those that like their head canons, etc.
Not that these people have to be ignored! But you learn to know who to ask and how to interpret certain posters points.
(Many aren't as hostile as they seem. Often they are adamant about their view, but leave everyone to his own. Or English not being their first language hinders them to write it as neutral as they want to. And so on...)

...and you will get to know those who can give interesting insights. Those that have helpful gameplay advice. ...or those that have masterful painting/converting advice.
Those that have tried things, you want to try - and can tell you why it will or won't work.

Edited by RikuEru, 10 January 2017 - 06:35 PM.

• Sandlemad likes this

When the Pack runs once again, worlds tremble, enemies die and the Hunt begins!

Chaos%20at%20the%20Gates%202%20CompletioETL_2016_Banner_03_Custos_Fidei01.jpgETL_2016_Badge_08_Badge_of_the_Hero.jpg

Marshal Rohr

Marshal Rohr

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 12,553 posts
  • Chapter Name: 7th Terran Regiment
The Black Library sub has become nigh unreadable. N&R and BL suffer from a surplus of :cuss posting and not just heated arguments.
  • Sandlemad and RikuEru like this

veterannoob

veterannoob

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 812 posts
  • Chapter Name: Death Guard 14th Legion

The Black Library sub has become nigh unreadable. N&R and BL suffer from a surplus of censored.gif posting and not just heated arguments.

Sadly yes. N&R on forums tend to be rough but B&C was (still is, IMO) the best for 40K. BL...I've been backing off lately. Sometimes there's just not much to say.

Though I wish it were different here, you may get a laugh out of this season 20 of South Park which recently ended (you can watch for free online w/commercials) since they've changed their approach to a season story, and find it quite appropriate in general.

Sandlemad

Sandlemad

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 587 posts

The forums in general do seem more suffused with... just vitriol and negativity in the past while, certainly for longer than Fall of Cadia has been on. It's grating. You come into a topic that looks interesting and you see people acting viciously over the most trivial stuff, immediately diving for the most pessimistic and frankly hysterical interpretations of scraps of fluff, news or rumours. All the trivial stuff that RikuEru mentions. It just makes you close the tab and move on, not even want to contribute.

It could be down to any combination of the things Captain Idaho mentions but the most irritating manifestation of the viciousness - and the one that gets threads closed up in record time - is posters that are utterly wedded to their own faction, to the point of putting down others (not even jokingly). God forbid if something is not directly targeted at my personal favourite faction, how dare GW, this is an unforgivable insult, I hate smurfs, and so on.

You do expect it a bit in N&R but it's depressing to see it in the BL forums, where not only can some people not find anything enjoyable in stuff outside their narrow faction bubble (BT, SW, chaos, whatever), they cannot even imagine anyone else enjoying it.

Oh well. The modelling and painting thread always stand out as a bright light.

• RikuEru and IronDrake28 like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users