Lumpis Ultramarines - competitive list advice needed

derLumpi

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the likes brothers!

Next will be a Kill Team for a Kill Team event on the 27th of May - not much time for a slow guy like me. ;)

I'm leaning to a 5 man marine squad and scouts with heavy bolter. 

Priming and basing should be doable, though.

I think you did a great job. I've never been a fan of the Tigurius model personally (even though I've done him 3 times!). This time I'm using a different fig myself and I think what you've got there is much better than the actual Tiggy. Just my opinion of course!

Thx Prot. Just recognized the picture is a bit dark. I try to get a better one.

I did think on my Kill Team for the 27th. This is what I came up:

Sternguard Veterans Squad (5) - 110pts
    1 Sternguard Veteran Sergeant: Boltgun,Bolt pistol
    4 Sternguard Veteran: Boltgun,Bolt pistol

Land Speeder Squadron (1) - 70pts
    1 Land Speeder: Typhoon missile launcher,Heavy bolter

The veterans are pretty flexible with their ammunition. But I'm not sure if I have enough bodies. For long range support I have the speeder which would be able to stay out of the weapons that can threaten him.
And I have still 20 points to use for upgrades. Combi weapons or something close combat related for the sarge?

In the past I used Scouts for my Kill Teams to have a lot of bodies and they did good but I want to try something different this time.

Let me know what you think, brothers.
Edited by derLumpi

Thanks Race! I could have used a Lightning Claw but events have changed my approach. :smile.:

Still thinking on what to bring to our Kill Team event. There are some training games going on between all participants and I think I have an idea on what teams my marines will be facing.

1. Necrons - The guy had 5 Canoptek Wraiths. Toughness 5 and fearless - so no breaking possible and hard to remove.

2. Orks - The guy talked about 40 or 50 orcs? I'm sure that this is possible but with 5 veterans and one Land Speeder I'm not so sure if I can remove enough orcs until he hits my line. :-/

3. Imperial Army or whatever they are called now - He had one autocannon, 1 Sentinel with reinforced front armour, 1 flamer dude and the rest filled with laser guys. 

4. Tau - He played 1 Crisis, 10 Kroot and the rest with Tau infantry. 

So I will need definitely something against orks (probably flamer?) and I need hard hitting stuff against those nasty Wraiths. 

I think the Land Speeder is still pretty solid with the possibility to have a missile launcher and a heavy flamer. Filling the rest is a bit difficult.

Scouts will give me more bodies and a heavy bolter with hellfire. 

Tactical Marines have better armour and will probably last longer than scouts. 

Veterans are very flexible because of their special ammunition (ignoring cover :wink:) but will have the smallest numbers in terms of bodies. 

That is my list with scouts and Land Speeder: 

Land Speeder Squadron (1) - 70pts
    1 Land Speeder: Typhoon missile launcher,Heavy flamer

Scout Squad (10) - 128pts    
    1 Scout Sergeant: Storm bolter,Chain sword
    8 Scout: Boltgun,Bolt pistol
    1 Scout: Heavy bolter with hellfire shells,Bolt pistol
Edited by derLumpi

After setteling on a list for the 27th I took out my scouts and realized that I already have a whole squad already ready for priming.

med_gallery_33680_12372_295838.jpg

I call them Telion's chosen. They represent scout sergeants drawn from all over the 10th company in times of need. They all have silenced boltguns (just because I love Telion's bolter) and some of them are old grizzled veterans (yes, there are Space Wolves heads amongst them).

While I was at it I took some pictures of my sniper scouts.

med_gallery_33680_12372_187332.jpg

Some minor conversions with old lasguns from forgeworld.

med_gallery_33680_12372_96861.jpg

I used an Elysian sniper rifle for the right sniper rifle.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello brothers,

I'm back with an update. The Kill Team event went very well. The Ultramarines emerged victorious and lost not a single game. To celebrate this I built a new heavy Bolter scout.

med_gallery_33680_12372_1039859.jpg

This was the first time I had to use greenstuff to fill the gaps on his right arm and on his stomach. I always wanted a scout in a prone position since I saw a conversion in an old white dwarf.

med_gallery_33680_12607_162794.png

Another project is my second FW knight - the Castigator. Feet and base are assembled. I hope I can finish the legs over the weekend.

I realized that I will have to be bit faster with building and painting in the future well not faster necessarily but more effective because we are expecting our second son in November. :biggrin.:

Let mo know what you guys think :)

Edited by derLumpi

• 3 weeks later...

So had my first game in 8th and got beaten by Necrons.

What did I learn - kill whole squads so that they won't come back. Tanks are expensive and I'm considering not using tanks below 1000 points.

With all the primaris stuff getting released I'm building my second army as I'm not a really big fan of the bigger marines. I do have the new starter box and I will keep those plasma guys and the bolter primaris. The rest will be or is already sold.

Now to the picture.

I built my second Forgeworld knight, the Castigator. As I'm planning to have a House Vornherr household he will act as bodyguard or honour guard for the lord/baron/king (haven't decided on the specifics) in his Acheron.

Fun kit to build. Had to extend a piston on the right upper leg but other than that there were no issues with this kit.

med_gallery_33680_12607_490859.png

Next step priming with leadbelcher. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Priming has been postponed - the weather just does not agree with priming :-/

In other news I finally received my new carrying case. Currently I'm using an empty toolbox and it is working fine. Some months ago I saw a kickstarter project that caught my attention.

You use magnets to secure your battle brothers onto shelves and those shelves are put into the metal frame.

So no breaking of small parts and no paint rubbing off because of the foam where you would put your models.

sml_gallery_33680_13475_184235.png

This is the metal frame and you put the shelves into those slots on the side.

sml_gallery_33680_13475_749619.png

The case goes into a carrying bag.

If anyone is interested this is the project on kickstarter and where you can preorder this case.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/armycase/a-case-miniature-wargaming-carrying-display-case/description

They do have a webshop where you can buy similar cases.

So today the next 8th edition game is on. It's 35 PR and as I wanted to try out termies they will see battle today after long years on the shelf.

1 Librarian

1 TacSquad (ML, Plasma, CombiFlamer and sword)

1 Tartaros Squad with flamer and sowrd on the Sgt

1 Dreadnought with 2 twin autocannons

So 2 new units I'm trying out.

So the game wass awful. We made big mistakes with the rules (excess damage, reanimation for canoptek wraiths) just to name two.

We will repeat the game with the same lists and have hopefully a good game.

Necrons had:

Lord

6 wraiths

2 heavy destroyers

1 doomsday ark

One good thing I can report. The carrying case did a splendid job. :thumbsup:

Edited by derLumpi

So the big winner is the carrying case? :)

As long as your having fun. Those 'crons are ridiculously survivable this edition. They are the whole reason (well IG as well I suppose) that I want to go back to Sniper Scouts.

It was funny, yes. The terminators held up pretty good against those wraiths despite them being coming back (illegally I might add ;) ). The doomsday ark missed e v e r y single time. :D

I will try to get some pictures with the next game. 

And I love that case! 

• 3 months later...

Long time, no see.

It's been a while but I have some updates. My second son is here (2 weeks earlier than expected but he is alright and very low maintenance until now :) ). This means that my progress will be slower than before if that is even possible. On the bright side - I have 2 months parental leave ahead of me and I will try to squeeze some hobby time in there (probably when my wife and the little one are napping). We will see.

My latest project is almost finished

med_gallery_33680_12372_75095.jpg

I got a Fellblade for my birthday and I'm almost finished. Only things missing are those doors but I got 2 Ultramarine doors just recently. No easy built. Had a lot of warpped pieces and the cannon had to be replaced by the FW guys. But it is an impressive tank :D

It still has no name but thought something along 'Wrath of Calth' or something else. I'm open for suggestions.

I decided to buy something to celebrate the birth of my second son and I got a bit carried away.

The Forgeworld cart had a Typhon Siege Tank and this little fellow in it

med_gallery_33680_12372_649482.jpg

And my oldest son has started his first marine :)

med_gallery_33680_12372_53858.jpg

He wanted him to be yellow - so Imperial Fists, at least he is a loyalist. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks. He had a lot of fun.

Had a few hours of hobby time. I vowed to only begin a new project if the last one is done. So, before I can dive into the Mastodon I have to finish some terminators.

med_gallery_33680_12372_331541.jpg

The arms in the upper right corner are done. Now onto the rest. I'm using 3x1 mm magnets. Normally I would just magnetize the Sergeant but in case of terminators I do everyone.

The Mastodon is soaking and I cleaned the first parts. I will probably start with the turret.

And then I had this in my mailbox. :) A few weeks past I received a voucher for a personalized bookmark. So I chose Sicarius. I think it looks great.

med_gallery_33680_12372_387613.jpg

• 2 months later...

Haven't posted in a while but I was not idle though I haven't painted anything, yet. I finished the Mastodon and some heresy dudes.

med_gallery_33680_12372_263255.png

I had to fill some gaps with greenstuff and styrene but this thing is really a beast. :smile.:

med_gallery_33680_12372_270388.png

Bought also the Marine tank crew set from Forgeworld. This guy looks so good.

med_gallery_33680_12372_5696.png

I also came around to build my Breachers. That kit is one of the best looking infantry sets that Forgeworld offers. I really love them. There will be 5 additional Breachers with those Ultramarine shields.

med_gallery_33680_13475_238582.png

Sorry for the crappy picture I took it in the basement.

This is a dice tray and I will use it to roll my dice in style. Our gaming tables are mostly unfinished which means the dice are always falling on the floor or rolling all over the place.

I found a tutorial on a german youtube channel and just followed the instructions. Pretty easy to build - 2 tray, 2 hinges, some blue and white felt - done. It's not 100% perfect but I like it. :smile.:

Our group plans a tournament for the end of July - 2000 points. I already have a rough list cobbled together but I could certainly use some input. Will post it tonight to get some feedback from my fello brothers.

Edited by derLumpi

Wow that's an amazing looking tank.

You know I kind of laugh when I think how much we pay for the forgeworld stuff and there's this acceptance that when we get it we know there will be hours of straightening warped pieces, fixing doors, air bubbles etc. It seems like the '90s' all over again when I work with it.  But that is a beautiful tank and you've done a great job with it. Very clean looking.