General Discussion Secundus

bluntblade

In case Skal can't get back onto Discord, I've run the numbers on the Fourth. What I find interesting is that, even with a century, all Yucahu does is double his legion's size. 

However, this is definitely one of those scenarios that could potentially benefit from an additional combat doctrine rating of 'DESTRUCTION!' for an additional 100 mpy penalty. 

On the other hand, this does work as a potential idea of how many casualties the Void Eagles could lose during the Rangdan wars to reach their originally suggested number.

I kinda feel like finding the Primarch had a negative effect on the Shepherds/Berserkers.

Potentially. Geneseed stability? Berserker recruiting efforts?

The recruitment style, yeah. More potentials (wide/aggressive), but far harsher induction techniques. Maybe it’ll balance out with the greater numbers accounting for the greater drop-rate, but I don’t see any real benefit to rates with Raktra around.

I kinda feel like finding the Primarch had a negative effect on the Shepherds/Berserkers.

Potentially. Geneseed stability? Berserker recruiting efforts?

The recruitment style, yeah. More potentials (wide/aggressive), but far harsher induction techniques. Maybe it’ll balance out with the greater numbers accounting for the greater drop-rate, but I don’t see any real benefit to rates with Raktra around.

I was asking what is the Berserker geneseed stability rate.

Yeah. Thx^^. Math was never my strength^^ so I need to realocate my forces.

With the 20 sears of isolation with all those refugees seeking shelter on caerbannog. How would that change the mpy rate?

Yeah. Thx^^. Math was never my strength^^ so I need to realocate my forces.

With the 20 sears of isolation with all those refugees seeking shelter on caerbannog. How would that change the mpy rate?

Oh boy. Well, the big difference is combat. They're no longer acting as a front line force constantly at war, but as a defensive army that only engages in skirmishes. The one exception is helping Hectarion pacify Seg. Pacificus, but that only lasts three years. 

So, from the DoR to the end of the Pacificus campaign in 036, I'll assume they're still at Great Crusade casualties/combat.

That's 600 mpy for 5 years for a total of 3,000 marines. 

After that is 18 years of patrol duty. For this, I would actually double the mpy to 1,200. 1,200 x 18 = 21,600 marines. 

At most I would triple it for a total of 32,400 marines.

That's just additional marines entering the Legion. This does not address the total legion size since that would be affected by the DoR and the periodic defections from the Wardens of Light. The other side of the coin being that the legion recruitment rate will be unaffected by those defections.

Barring a potential Shepherds/Berserkers divide, my calculations are complete.

There will have to be some adjusting of fluff to better reflect the changes. Some Unification battles (at least the Drowned) need to be tweaked. The Lightning Bearers are no longer the largest legion, which has some potential angles to utilize.

From Discord:

• Hm, now that the Harbingers are no longer the largest legion, I wonder if we can tie that into Icarion's growing jealously. Or, Icarion could abandon the Ghost Crusade and focus on increasing his legion's size in prepartion for the Insurrection

• Grifft: Maybe he sees the dispersion of resources away from the 1st as a threat to their long term survival? Because early on they'd be getting the best and most materiel because of their size/importance. As time passes that importance would wane as other Primarchs are found and he becomes 1 in 20 rather than singular. And the size that he has built up gets surpassed by those who have come later.

Just how big are we making the Eagle Warriors, by the way?

The numbers I give work for only standard marines. We could easily bulk them up with an accelerated recruitment program and their clones.

Since the first round was lost (somehow), I'm trying to reconstruct the DoR ambushes.

Halcyon Wardens versus Harbingers

Wardens of Light versus Eagle Warriors

Crimson Lions versus Berserkers of Uran

Scions Hospitallers verus the Drowned

Warriors of Peace versus Fire Keepers

Iron Bears versus Godslayers & Grave Stalkers

Void Eagles versus Morning Stars & Steel Legion

Predators versus Warbringers

Dune Serpents versus themselves

See, I told you it is in the forum. :P

Now, regarding the DoR. Does the Bloodlords vs. Predators ambush count, as well? Or are we rather focusing on entire Legions, right now?

See, I told you it is in the forum. :tongue.:

Now, regarding the DoR. Does the Bloodlords vs. Predators ambush count, as well? Or are we rather focusing on entire Legions, right now?

Is this like the Void Eagles vs Morning Stars & Steel Legion where one element of a Loyalist Legion has gone Dark Side?

For ease of editing (and necessary retcons), I'm consolidating all of Second Son into a separate thread. Think of it as a finished draft, while the first thread will serve as a rough draft and open to commentary from the peanut gallery.

See, I told you it is in the forum. :P

Is this like the Void Eagles vs Morning Stars & Steel Legion where one element of a Loyalist Legion has gone Dark Side?

Gone dark side and killed off an entire tribe of their own Legion, yep.

See, I told you it is in the forum. :tongue.:

Gone dark side and killed off an entire tribe of their own Legion, yep.

Okay. I've spoken with Thorn, and he'd rather Kozja strike at Azus and the Dune Serpents. 

So, the Predators will be ambushed by their own brothers on the DoR. 

Kel says that only a few tribes are with Andezo on the DoR, while the Dune Serpents are typically even more scattered. And we can divide or gather as necessary.

Fact 21: With the completion of the Unification Wars, the Legiones Astartes now stood as the Emperor's primary shock force with the forced retirement of the berserk Thunder Warriors. This was in spite of the fact that several Legions had yet to complete the Alpha induction, such as the II, XVII, and others. A little less than 45,000 served the Emperor in Mk I plate. 

Fact 22: Although noted for their overwhelming unity compared to the more idiosyncratic Legions under the Primarchs, several rivalries were already beginning to form at this early stage. The Fifth Legion strived to prove itself greater than the First, choosing to specialize in the melee to win quick and great victories in lieu of the more well-rounded First. 

[What other rivalries started back in the Unification Wars?]