General Discussion Secundus

bluntblade

The Fest was amazing.

Spoke with James Swallow and Jes Godwyn. Nice guys, really!

Unfortunately, no one was interested in my advertisements of wearing a botl shirt.

Further, I asked in a session about giving projects like us being covered in the new podcast or something similar.

They don't have plans for this kind of stuff. :/

Further, the HH will end in Feb 2019 and the Siege will have its own series!

• 2 months later...

The VE thing is basically an introduction, to go in Book 3 but not be the focus. Like the prologue and such.

I thought we were putting the Warbringers at the centre of 3 anyway with Iyacrax.

Edited by bluntblade

You want an entire battle to function as an introduction?

Thorn and I have been chatting about a replacement battle for the Warbringers assaultint and conquering Macragge with at least HW tank brigade and the Imperial Army in defense. It’s an uncontested victory for Kozja as opposed to the grinding draw of Iyracrax.

To be a bit clearer: I'd made this suggestion because I was afraid that the Siege of Iyacrax and the Siege of Nox - both being grinding battles a la Stalingrad in similar settings - they may be fairly redundant

However, from later discussion about the siege of Nox, the concept of that battle may have moved on a bit

I am also absolutely open to the Warbringers suffering some embarassment (this is already the case on the DoR) - after all, he'll get more glory time in the suzerainty :devil:

I still love the concept of the Battle of the Forge, but we don't really want to duplicate battle styles, so I think we'd need your overall concept of Nox before making decisions for after that

I think Nox will be a quicker affair with lots of orbital action and rapid attacks by the Eagle Warriors, so it should still be very distinct from Iyacrax.

Re: Foleith, it's not that big a battle really, is it? Alternatively we can keep it back for when we bundle the whole trilogy together and release it as a Book.

Edited by bluntblade

I think Nox will be a quicker affair with lots of orbital action and rapid attacks by the Eagle Warriors, so it should still be very distinct from Iyacrax.

Re: Foleith, it's not that big a battle really, is it? Alternatively we can keep it back for when we bundle the whole trilogy together and release it as a Book.

It is intended to involve a lot of maneuver. Both the Eagle Warriors and the Wardens of Light are known for their mobility. That is what we want to emphasize as opposed to the grinding sieges of Iyracrax. 

Big battle or not, those are saved for the campaign section of the rulebooks.

While at work today, I sketched out a potential Macragge Invasion scenario. Now, I understand that it might not go into a rulebook, but it got me thinking about the HW 6th Cohort. Divided into 3,000-marine detachments, they're supposed to serve as a Quick Reaction Force that overwhelm local garrisons in each Segmenta. So, I was trying to figure out where the Segmenta capitals would be. Solar was perhaps the easiest (Terra), but it also made me realized that the HQ for these detachments wouldn't necessarily be the center of a Segmentum.

But then Blunt complained about giving Macragge any spotlight, but the fact of the matter is that some systems become important, not because of a Primarch or a character, but because of good old-fashioned topography. Some locations are key because of stable Warp routes, they weathered the Age of Strife better, natural resources, etc. Thus far, we've been making up planets left and right in pure GW fashion. It is a big galaxy after all with a potential 100 billion planets hanging out. But now I'm wondering if we shouldn't also keep an eye on canon systems to make sure we properly integrate them into the setting. 

That's ok then, I'd thought Macragge was another backwater world. We should research system capitals in canon and see what reasons are citee. I guess.

And regarding the VE battle, it's done and dusted. So I don't see any harm in just stick it in at the start of 3. I'm kind of taking Conquest and Retribution as a lodestar here, pretty certain that the former opened with a small battle.

Do we intend to have a legendary campaign ruleset for every fluff campaign? Was that a thing with the Black Books?

Edited by bluntblade

• 3 weeks later...

So just wondering: aside from the obvious, who is or isn't keen on the lodges?

Thinking in favour:

Godslayers

Wardens of Light

Warbringers (in a stratified and formalised way)

Fire Keepers

Warriors of Peace - as an outside bet?

Anti:

Grave Stalkers

Steel Legion (got their own chatroom)

The Drowned (we already have poetry corner and we hate you all)

Dune Serpents (or maybe that's wrong, I'm going by them being insular)

Berserkers (dominance being so key to their worldview)

Edited by bluntblade

Press would make use of them, as well.

On one hand, they could bridge the Terran and Mardumian brothers and on the other, the Mardumian hardliners could use them to keep their ancient belief alive.

As far as the Warriors of Peace, I'll take a stab at it though Drak can revise the answer accordingly.

Speaking from a meta perspective, the Warriors of Peace already have their own version of the Lodges in the form of the Warrior Monasteries, but those are smaller in scope and devoted to specific fighting styles. So, in one sense, the Warriors are already inclined toward martial fraternities. However, they also highly value social conformity and social structures, which partially conflicts with the openness and celebrating individuality that Alexandros originally designed. 

All this to say, I would see the WoP either adapting the Lodges to fit their mold (and perhaps not allow outsiders access) or they would avoid the Lodges and keep to their Monasteries.  

Hey folks, just wanted to drop by 'cause quite a few members involved in the BotL have made inquiries about commissioning me over the years, and I've always had to turn them down - until now! I'm finally free to take commissions, so I just wanted to let y'all know on the off chance anyone's still interested.

Here's a brief look at the sorta stuff I can do:

med_gallery_53779_8997_609481.jpgmed_gallery_53779_8997_537054.jpgmed_gallery_53779_9225_956229.png

med_gallery_53779_12611_138944.jpg

med_gallery_53779_12611_165409.jpg

Sorry if this seems out of the blue / unsolicited, I’m just super aware that I’ve turned down a lot of offers from forum members over the years, and wanted to let folks know my policy’s changed

Best wishes,

IHF

Hey folks, just wanted to drop by 'cause quite a few members involved in the BotL have made inquiries about commissioning me over the years, and I've always had to turn them down - until now! I'm finally free to take commissions, so I just wanted to let y'all know on the off chance anyone's still interested.

Here's a brief look at the sorta stuff I can do:

med_gallery_53779_8997_609481.jpgmed_gallery_53779_8997_537054.jpgmed_gallery_53779_9225_956229.png

Sorry if this seems out of the blue / unsolicited, I’m just super aware that I’ve turned down a lot of offers from forum members over the years, and wanted to let folks know my policy’s changed

Best wishes,

IHF

Glad to hear it, sir! Out of curiosity, can we get a price list?

Thanks for the interest folks - glad to see this wasn't unwarranted

Glad to hear it, sir! Out of curiosity, can we get a price list?

Sure! Just gonna spoiler tag this 'cause I have no idea where it falls regarding forum rules - [Mods: if this is iffy, I can happily remove it and PM folks instead]

In addition to the stuff listed here, I will eventually be offering whole-body character art, but I haven't done any in a while so I'm gonna do a piece or two independently to figure out how long they take regarding pricing. Pricing's also subject to a bit of change with time - I'll get faster with time, which'll reduce pricing, but I will also eventually have to take account of tax.

Thanks again for the interest folks!

Icon:

• Linework: £20-35 - varies with size/ complexity

med_gallery_53779_12611_327974.jpg

• Basic: £40-60 - will vary with complexity of the subject

med_gallery_53779_9225_1139.png

• Detailed: £70-100 - again, depending on complexity

med_gallery_53779_12611_84787.jpg

Vehicle:

• Linework: £40-80 - Size of the vehicle, how much it draws from existing designs and complexity all come into play here

• Full Colour: £100-140 - final price depends on the same factors as above, and if clients want to go for basic linework first, the cost subsequently of colouring the linework will be reduced as appropriate

Character Art:

• Monochrome: £70-100 - again, complexity & detail are the main price factors

med_gallery_53779_8997_537054.jpg

• Colour: £90-130 - same pricing factors as above

med_gallery_53779_8997_295954.jpg

Armour Design:

• Bust (head, torso, pauldrons & backpack) - £50
  • Full body (without weapons) - £65
  • Full body (with weaponry) - £75

med_gallery_53779_12611_197569.jpg

Edited by Iron Hands Fanatic

Thanks, brother!

Some pretty nice stuff you got over there.

I'm curious and wanted to ask you if it is possible to fund the symbols for all Legions at once?

At first, I'd suggest doing three "test" symbols and if everyone is pleased, continue with the remaining ones.

Unfortunately, we had some issues with another artist in the past, so we're a bit more careful than we used to be. :)

Thanks, brother!

Some pretty nice stuff you got over there.

I'm curious and wanted to ask you if it is possible to fund the symbols for all Legions at once?

At first, I'd suggest doing three "test" symbols and if everyone is pleased, continue with the remaining ones.

Unfortunately, we had some issues with another artist in the past, so we're a bit more careful than we used to be. :smile.:

Hmmmm - all at once might be a bit tricky, as I take half payment for commissions up-front, and I probably wouldn't be comfortable taking that amount of payment for a long-term project all at once, let alone how you folks would feel about handing that amount of cash

That said, I'd be super interested in doing a series covering all the Legions' symbols, but it might be more practical to do it in smaller 'batches', which would allow a more reasonable payment exchange, and would also mean rather than having a single distant deadline, I could give you multiple more accurate time-frames depending on other work and time concerns. Three symbols per batch as you suggested for the test pieces might be a good shout - if I had no other commissions / work, getting three done within a single week wouldn't be too much of stretch, but if I was doing them around other work, it's still a manageable amount.

I hope that sounds reasonable, but I'm certainly up for alternative arrangements if you'd prefer. It might be a good idea to start a group PM to sort details, but I appreciate with this many folks involved it'll probably take a while to organise if you do want to go ahead.

Thanks for the interest! 

I'm very fond of your elites pics - how much might one of those be?

Not sure what you mean by 'elites pics'? Presumably stuff I've done before?