General Discussion Secundus

bluntblade

I'm very fond of your elites pics - how much might one of those be?

Not sure what you mean by 'elites pics'? Presumably stuff I've done before?

I believe Blunt is referring to the drawings you did of Legion Command Squads, Legion Specific Units, Mortal Auxilia etc.

That's fair enough and reasonable. :smile.:

Do you have a discord account? We got our own server, which would make communicating way easier. :smile.:

That reminds me, I actually need to make a new Discord account to use with my upcoming Patreon, so I'll probably set that up early next week and hit you up - but that sounds like a great idea

I'm very fond of your elites pics - how much might one of those be?

Not sure what you mean by 'elites pics'? Presumably stuff I've done before?

I believe Blunt is referring to the drawings you did of Legion Command Squads, Legion Specific Units, Mortal Auxilia etc.

Precisely. Hypothetically, I dig the idea of having one for each Legion.

Ah, I get ya - that's the sort of stuff I'll need to do a couple of pieces of independently (probably as sample art for my Patreon) to help figure out pricing regarding the actual time each piece'll take. I'm not sure how soon I'll be able to get on with that though, so it might be a little while before I can give you a firm idea - I'd definitely be interested in something like that though!

Spurred on by the recent Battlefleet Gothic trailer, does anyone want to claim to have met Trazyn? From what I understand of his lore, he is active during 30k, and, while he'd have to keep his appearance fairly limited, it is a way to give the Xenos factions more spotlight. 

Hm... I'm not that familiar with Necron lore. Trazyn is the magpie guy, right?

Would it be worth it to implement him in the Preds' quest of finding a way to get rid of Chaos?

Or is he rather a "regular" enemy type for "just" a battle?

Hm... I'm not that familiar with Necron lore. Trazyn is the magpie guy, right?

Would it be worth it to implement him in the Preds' quest of finding a way to get rid of Chaos?

Or is he rather a "regular" enemy type for "just" a battle?

Correct, he is the collector.

I was picturing him just getting an extended cameo. Wasn't even considering a proper battle since I don't want the Necrons to be too prominent. Though, I'm not settled on that restriction either.

All that said, he really doesn't care about Chaos one way or another. So, he'd be a poor choice for that on-going arc. 

Perhaps he could first appear disguised as a Cult Mechanicum Techpriest?

How would that even work? Don't most Tech-priests have some flesh left? Could he mimic Mechanicum tech?

How would that even work? Don't most Tech-priests have some flesh left? Could he mimic Mechanicum tech?

With massive red robes it would work, but only because no imperial knows what a Necron is yet - throw Eldar shaped spanner in works and you could have a fun little story

With massive red robes it would work, but only because no imperial knows what a Necron is yet - throw Eldar shaped spanner in works and you could have a fun little story
Or he could simply do as most Necron Lords do in such situations, appear via proxy through the use of Mindshackle Scarabs, no need to disguise yourself as a Cognoggin when you can simply hotwire one and go for a ride. He can then drop hints in conversation as to his true identity that someone in-universe would be oblivious too but an omnipotent reader like ourselves would understand, perhaps mentioning a collection, the lights on his augments momentarily flickering an eerie green, etc, whatever's appropriate for the situation. Edited by SanguiniusReborn

A brief idea:

A Unification Wars veteran finds a tech-priest wandering his Primarch's halls looking for a specimen for his collection. Suspicious, the veteran stabs the tech-priest, only for mindshackle scarabs to come scuttling out of its mouth. After destroying the scarabs, the Veteran is only able to make a brief report on the incident befire disappearing.

“Cognoggin” is my new favourite thing.

Thank you brother, it's a charming little term I picked up years ago from a nifty little 40k webcomic based on the author's Dark Heresy games called "Verloren Hoop", it was coined by one of the party's two Cognoggins, a excuberant, foul-mouthed former middle-Hiver named Triella Wheeljack.

Aha! Found the original panel: https://www.deviantart.com/mr-culexus/art/Verloren-Hoop-36-152298912

The Sarhund Strike

Not all events in the Insurrection were military in nature. During the opening months of the civil war, the mining world of Sarhund --notable as the birthplace of Mili Ayelat, 8th Admiral of the Void Eagles-- declared for the Stormlord, possibly unaware of the wider implications of revolt on a galactic scale.

But months after months, the supply demands for the Nova Imperium's war effort became too much. Unions organized against the Stormlord's pressing demands, and their impact on the workers' lives. Their requests were denied, the administrators in charge of transmitting orders from Madrigal far too convinced of their masters' righteousness.

Then one day Sarhund went black. All over the planet, every miner, every steelworker, every machine operator went on strike. And the next day, and the one after that. Production went nil. The occupation forces, including the vaunted 703rd Neo-Geddon Varaguard, resisted but were soon overwhelmed by the masses and their weaponised mining lasers. The world was frozen for weeks, while the Revolutionary Comitees rose the Aquila and the Terranic Star on their banners.

Pleas for help were sent to Terra, that the sector be brought back to the Imperium. And surely enough the Astartes came. But these were the First Legion, who now called themselves Harbingers. A full company of the Stormlord's sons, vanguarded by a newly born unit. Clad in fearsome Arkonak Terminator plate, bedecked in hurricane motifs, they slaughtered the planet's population. Within the extraction tunnels, the fighting was the hardest, the resistance collapsing entire sections to prevent the Astartes from coming for their lives. They were the Vortice Enforcers, iron fist of the Stormlord's will, and the price for insubordination was death.

Weeks later, the Void Eagles' Eighth fleet finally arrived in-system, only to find a dead world of servitors. Furious yet filled with melancholy, Admiral Ayelat ordered his troops deployed on-planet to mourn the dead for three days, covering their plate in the world's ashen sand.

During the Great Scouring, the Ash Walkers would retake Sarhund, and establish their fortress-monastery on its asteroid moon, always to keep vigil on their Grandmaster's world, that it may never fall again to the Arch-Enemy. Ayelat's Vigil would in time become the common name for the moon, and later the whole stellar system.

Hum, I don't think I've ever heard of the Terranic star, and so I imagine you've created it for this piece? Tbh, I'm not sure the October revolution is the best template for this, as the causes are radically different - you may have more chance taking resistance movements as inspiration (like the French or Polish ones in the 2ndWW)

I also like the bit about Ayelat's Vigil, though that should probably not be included in a red box, as the Scouring I'd still some way away

Maybe if it was one of the first times a planet had turned away from the Insurrectionist cause, it could be justified as making an example. The massacre could also serve to highlight Icarion's faltering idealism, for lack of a better term, as it is the Harbringers rather than than one of their ill reputed lackeys doing the butchering. Edited by Beren

• 2 weeks later...

Trying to finish this off.

Kel says that only a few tribes are with Andezo on the DoR, while the Dune Serpents are typically even more scattered. And we can divide or gather as necessary.

Fact 21: With the completion of the Unification Wars, the Legiones Astartes now stood as the Emperor's primary shock force with the forced retirement of the berserk Thunder Warriors. This was in spite of the fact that several Legions had yet to complete the Alpha induction, such as the II, XVII, and others. A little less than 45,000 served the Emperor in Mk I plate.

Fact 22: Although noted for their overwhelming unity compared to the more idiosyncratic Legions under the Primarchs, several rivalries were already beginning to form at this early stage. The Fifth Legion strived to prove itself greater than the First, choosing to specialize in the melee to win quick and great victories in lieu of the more well-rounded First.

[What other rivalries started back in the Unification Wars?]

Fact 23: One of the more controversial aspects of the Legiones Astartes were the Soulless Space Marines. Early testing indicated that it was not possible for a gene-seed to be implanted into one of the Untouchables with all test subjects suffering from a 100% fatality rate. An additional obstacle was the rarity of such individuals preventing any practical way of creating a legion.

Fact 24: The Emperor discovered a workaround that has yet to be replicated. Instead of implanting a gene-seed into a Pariah, Pariah genetic markers were imbued into a gene-seed. Although capable of creating a Pariah Astartes, what would follow would be a series of experimentation that would affect four of the 20 legions.

Fact 25: The first successful manifestation would be seen in the VIIIth Legion. Although not true Soulless, the battle-psykers demonstrated a new set of powers who's sole purpose was to counter Warpcraft. Eventually labeled as 'Warp Suppressants', they were incapable of using the Warp for any other purpose than destabilization. No matter how often tested, a Warp Suppressant was never able to manifest flame, peer into the future, or empower their bodies.

Fact 26: The next stage of the Soulless Marines would experience both success and failure among the 12th Legion. In order to stabilise the experimental union between Pariah biology and gene-seed, the Emperor designed a two-stage process. In most of the Legionaries of the 12th Legion, their true nature would lay dormant, until triggered by an event of extreme duress. However, there was an unintended side effect that nearly ruined the newborn Legion. Those who's Blank natures had activated proved a hazard to allie and foe. The Legionary's eyes became living weapons as they sought to disrupt the souls of those around them, regardless of the Legionary's will.

Fact 27: After the successes and failiures of the Pariah project in the 15th, the 17th would be the final Legion to be involved in the Pariah experiment. Intended to be a comprimise in effectiveness, the 27th lacked the numbers of the Soulless present in the 12th and 15th, but also the odrawbacks suffered by those Legions. At the same time their Pariahs were stronger than the warp suppressants if the 8th.

Fact 2?: The savage subdugation of the Selenar Gene cults upon Lunar would earn the Third Legion the epithet if 'Blood Wolves', after the Selenites demanded that the Emperor call of his wolves even as their halls ran with the blood of their people. Though they had seen action in the Shakletian deserts, this marked the true blooding of the Blood Wolves.

Fact 2?: Eliminating the War Witches of Venus and their Lletho Gholem armies would fall to the the 6th and and 16th Legions in what was known as the Mehr Yasht campaign. While the fierce warriors of the Sixth tore through the psyker's armies, matching their constructs in size and strength, the Sixteenth attempted to flank, encircle and cut off any isolated or leadership elements that made themselves a target.

Fact 2? The Jovian Ranges, the satellites and moons in orbit of the Gas Giant Jupiter were infested by numerous vile xenos species and renegades. The 16th are recorded as having partucipated in purgings here, with the 9th bringing the moon of Callisto into compliance and the 12th being subject to mass Pariah awakenings after facing an unrecorded foe on the satellite if Lysithea.

Fact ?: The moons of Jupiter were not the only orbital bodies in the Solar System to suffer taint. While the Saturnine Ordos that occupied the rings of Saturn joined the Imperium willingly, the rebels known as the Ringers were forcefully subjugated by the 19th upon their stonghold at Iapetus. Likewise, the Xenos infested moons of Enceladys was taken by the 12th, cementing their reputation inspite of the shadowed events of Lysithia.

Fact 2?: After failed attempts to purge the Dirigiscrae from Neptune, the Sixteenth were called in to finish the job. The brutal, inglorious and drawn out campaign would eventually be concluded, but at such a high cost that the Legion could not operate independently once the Great Crusade began. A comment attributed to Malcador would see the Sixteenth known from then on as the Drowned Men.

Fact 2?: The Eighth, know known as the Godslayers, were marked bitterly by the Solar Wars. The campaign known as the Screaming, where the populace of the Azurite cities above Uranus were twisted into abomanations, saw only a few dozen survivors out of the hundreds of Godslayers committed. One of these, Promeatar Thyris, rose to leadership before displaying his merciless approach to war in the Disharmonia purges on the fringes of the system.

Fact 2?: The ice planetoid of Pluto was discovered to host a surviving Abominable Intelligence from the Dark Age of Technology, determined to defend itself. The twelth Legion, the Apostles of War, were assigned to its destruction. Relying on their speed to protect them, the apostles closed with the AIs gun constructs in melee before hacking their way to the Abomanation's processor core. Their victory earned them the approval of the Mechanicum, cementing the new pact between the two empires.

Fact 2?: By far the most bloody conquest of the Solar wars was the destruction of the false planet of Sedna. The assault would be lead primarily by the First Legion and featured the first official deployment of the Tenth. However a total of six other Legions also participated, these being the Third, Fourth, Fifth, Sixth, Seventh, Eighth and Thirteenth Legions.

Fact ??: The First Legion was known for two known gene seed abnormalities. First was the large number of psykers amongst its ranks, which while not approaching the nature of the eleventh, was substantially greater than in most of its brother-Legions. In particular they became skilled at the arts of divination, able to outmanouver and defeat their enemies before battle was even joined.

Fact ??: Though the Tenth had no more than the average number of psykers within its ranks, here too was an irregularity. In order to conserve their meager strength the psykers of the Tenth banded together within conclaves. Within these groupings Pyromancy arose as the most practiced and sometimes solely practiced psychic discipline, first through natural tendency and later through tactical expediency.

Fact ?? The 7th Legion, the Shepherds of Eden, possessed their own unique ability as a result of their geneseed, named Somoptis among their ranks. They were capable, in essence, of seeing through their enemies. Every weakness, every old wound, every brittle bone was laid bare to the seventh. Using this ability, Legionaries could lay low foes that otherwise outmatched them.

Fact:??: The anomaly within the Gene Seed of the Drowned Men, was lesser in nature, a single mutation within a single organ. Regardless, it would prove exceedingly useful within the 16ths chosen arenas of war. The mutation to their Lyman's ear made it exceedingly difficult to unbalance or disorient them, no matter what atmospheric qualities or irientations they fought in.

Fact ??: The Gene Seed of the Blood Wolves bore not an advantage, but what can downright be considered an affliction. It was not unknown fir Legionaries of the Third to lose any semblance of discipline in the midst of combat, mindlessly slaughtering their way towards what they believe to be the halls of the fallen.

We also suggested further facts based of geneseed. Eliminating those already mentiined we have:

(Now written up)

Which would bring us up to a theoretical 40 facts. Suggestions?

Edit: edited to intergrate some facts of Simison's that I missed, or that he is currently writing.

Edited by Beren

I don't recall if this was covered the first time around so here goes.

Fact ??: The first test of the 18th Legion was the Purging of the Vapour Wraiths of Jupiter. Due to a Gene-Seed quirk, marines of the 18th retained stronger memories of their mortal lives in the gangs of Terra's hive cities, which led to intense factionalism and rivalries between individual squads. While victorious, this infighting would result in heavy casualties including the loss of the entire 1st Company, earning the 18th the Emperor's ire and the punishment of Decimation, they would be divided and re-assigned to support other, most trustworthy Legions until the re-discovery of their Sire.