General Discussion Secundus

bluntblade

I'd also be curious what a combination of the Insurrection and Impressionism would look like.

Anyway, another note from Inferno. As the book is tallying up the dead at the end of the Prospero campaigned, there are mentions of thousands of Thousand Sons escaping the purge. 3,000 that vanish with Magnus right in front of Leman and the Wolves. The Divination Cult makes an escape to the nearby sea before performing a last-minute raid to grab a couple of landers. Out of the three, two escape from Prospero. Finally, around 8,000 Sons that were abroad are able to escape the purge.

What's most interesting is the last sentence of this whitebox. There is speculation that the Custodians may have been created for the purpose of eliminating Space Marines. Does anyone know when the Custodes were first formed?

I'd also be curious what a combination of the Insurrection and Impressionism would look like.

Anyway, another note from Inferno. As the book is tallying up the dead at the end of the Prospero campaigned, there are mentions of thousands of Thousand Sons escaping the purge. 3,000 that vanish with Magnus right in front of Leman and the Wolves. The Divination Cult makes an escape to the nearby sea before performing a last-minute raid to grab a couple of landers. Out of the three, two escape from Prospero. Finally, around 8,000 Sons that were abroad are able to escape the purge.

What's most interesting is the last sentence of this whitebox. There is speculation that the Custodians may have been created for the purpose of eliminating Space Marines. Does anyone know when the Custodes were first formed?

I don't think we're ever given a concrete date. Sometime before the Unification Wars I think

Thanks for the answers. So, the Custodians definitely predate the Legions.

Another note from Inferno. From this conflict, the Space Wolves wrote the Omega Codex, a treatise of tactics specifically against space marines. Made the Space Wolves extremely unpopular. It's a pity that we won't have anything like this in BotL.

I figure Alex and his loyal brothers, and Icarion on the other side, would quickly compile their own.

That is true. Another interesting point was just how divisive Prospero would become. Legions would shift defences in case they were the next ones to be purged. It really shattered a sense of unity among the Legions. Finally, Horus used this incident in part as political justification for his actions or to seem more sympathetic since his supporters argued that the Emperor was undermining the Warmaster by taking care of this behind Horus' back.

I think Icarion could make some use of it, but watered down and keeping Raktra's original notes secret.

Agreed. Raktra has always been the calculating thug. It'd make sense for him to write some notes about what he's seen since he's the belligerent one.

A thought about Legion tactics and backgrounds; we should have at least some Primarchs bringing in influences from outside their home worlds. Such superlative tacticians should, as I imagine Guilliman doing, consume mountains of military theory and history to guide them in moulding their Legions. So Niklaas might look beyond Obsailes and form fast-moving companies to combat forces attempting to relieve the fortress he's besieging, John Lawrenz might take in elements of Pan-Pacific military organisation as much as Shakletian tactics as the future Dune Serpemts take form, that sort of thing.

The VIth's tactics are only copied from Huron for Ghost Walkers until Daer'dd's death and the Legion shattering with only Redd's GWT acting like the Legion of old.

Also, I don't think Daer'dd would have a single thought about killing his brothers, but Redd and Aandegg both might have thought about it post Baal.

Preds did as well, though it's a smaller craftworld allied with some Croneworlds. Something like a little Eldar realm at the fringes of the Imperium.

It'll be one of their Exemplary Battles.

Thanks for the answers. So, the Custodians definitely predate the Legions.

Another note from Inferno. From this conflict, the Space Wolves wrote the Omega Codex, a treatise of tactics specifically against space marines. Made the Space Wolves extremely unpopular. It's a pity that we won't have anything like this in BotL.

The Abyssii would have almost certainly begun compiling something very similar after the less-than-ideal first encounter with the Drowned, but they wouldn't have made it public knowledge except perhaps with the Shepherds/'serkers