General Discussion Secundus

bluntblade

So long as it's well written, I'll approve of it.

Speaking of the Mechanicum, you know that grav-tank the Heredes have? How likely is it that they can keep it to themselves from the Mechanicum?

Space Marine legions have an apparent knack for keeping certain shiny things to themselves, though that's typically down to having a forge world of their very own (i.e. Raven Guard, Thousand Sons etc). Not sure if anyone else would be able to manage it, save for the obvious exception of the Custodes

Space Marine legions have an apparent knack for keeping certain shiny things to themselves, though that's typically down to having a forge world of their very own (i.e. Raven Guard, Thousand Sons etc). Not sure if anyone else would be able to manage it, save for the obvious exception of the Custodes

This would be an Imperial Regiment in question.

The idea was that one of the hives on Vasalius was controlled by a group of sudo-techpriests descended from a group that lived there before the age of darkness and the purge. They jealously guard the STCs for the Atlas Armor, the Armis Ruptor Rifle and the Vasalius Skimmer Tank. This also explains how the Heredes have armor on par with the Solar Auxilia and how they are able to remain mostly self-sufficient.

They've got a hive sized forge on their planet

The only potential issue I can see with that is if they're not a forge world they're not under the same protection, meaning the original compliance fleet wouldn't have had much stopping them taking the technology by force, unless something else is in play

I'll leave the when up to Simi, they're shown on the map but I don't know when the crusade went into that region of space. As for the factors in play as to why they were able to retain their tech, Vasalius practically declared loyalty to the Emperor on first contact, only waiting to do it officially once the Emperor arrived on the planet so that they could have a big ceremony. I think that reason alone could explain they're ability to retain their STCs...at least for awhile.

The only potential issue I can see with that is if they're not a forge world they're not under the same protection, meaning the original compliance fleet wouldn't have had much stopping them taking the technology by force, unless something else is in play

Just to throw an idea into the ring. The grav-tech sounds very similar to that used by the Lasaris forge to produce the Jocasta. So it is a possibility that the Grave Stalkers were among those who oversaw the Heredes(Heredian?) introduction into the Imperium. Somehow they acquired/stole/were gifted the designs/STC (perhaps with the expectation that it would be distributed) and then used that knowledge to help persuade the Lasaris forge to provide exclusively for the XVth?

I'm wondering about that too. What trouble is Kane likely to cause, that his removal wouldn't be outrageous?

Looking into what Kane was like during the canon Heresy, he became very detached as Fabricator-General, and very disdainful of his followers. Him being isolated from those loyal to him in this fashion makes his removal easier to achieve, and given that Mars remains in loyalist hands, my current idea is that Kane is killed in such a way to pin the death on either a less-than-agreeable faction still on Mars, or a fabricated cell of a known traitor Mechanicum faction.

Also, I found out a very interesting bit of information. Apparently, the Mechanicum only became the Adeptus Mechanicus due to the loss of Mars. From Lexicanum:

Kane's status during the Heresy was unstable. The Mechanicum considered the division of the Mechanicum with Hal and Kane both claiming the title of Fabricator General an unresolved equation, known as the "binary succession". In an attempt to resolve this, Ambassador Vethorel, Fabricator General Kane's representative on the Council of Terra, proposed to resolve this by the creation of a new Adeptus, the Adeptus Mechanicus. Despite the Mechanicum's concerns for their independence and the council's fears of a Martian power-grab, the resolution passed after the Collegia Titanica threatened to abandon the Solar War and the Imperator Titan Magnificum Incendius of the Legio Ignatum marched on the Great Chamber of the Senatorum Imperialis

So, did we just eliminate the title of Adeptus Mechanicus? 

Regarding Vasalius, that region does seem to fall under the Wardens of Light jurisdiction, so that does work out. Though, the greater Mechanicum might be very cross with Gwalchavad. And, it'd be fairly easy to arrange for some Grave Stalkers to be attached to that Compliance, or have them sneaking about for their own purposes. 

So, did we just eliminate the title of Adeptus Mechanicus? 

Regarding Vasalius, that region does seem to fall under the Wardens of Light jurisdiction, so that does work out. Though, the greater Mechanicum might be very cross with Gwalchavad. And, it'd be fairly easy to arrange for some Grave Stalkers to be attached to that Compliance, or have them sneaking about for their own purposes. 

We apparently did just eliminate the title and gave the post-Heresy Mechanicum a measure of independence compared to the canon

And the greater Mechanicum would be very cross. Grav-tanks are almost unheard of in the Imperium outside the Custodes, and a 'mere' Imperial Army force refusing to share or surrender said technology would not sit well with the Mechanicum

Well as a well respected Vasalian once said,

"Well you tell em' dogmatic half-men that they can just go an' stuff it. Let's see em' compute that!"

And just a note for Talonair,

The planet the Heredes come from is known as Vasalius. Therefore they would be known as Vasalians. The Heredes is the short-hand name of the Auxilla. The long-hand version is the Terra Heredes. The singular would be Herede but wouldn't be used in reference to where the person came from unless the describer was referring to their organization and not their planet of origin.

(Does that make sense?)

Thanks for clearing up the names. And I'm not suggesting that the Heredes should lose the grav-tanks at all, I just don't think that it makes sense in-lore for them to be able to keep them exclusively without the support of a powerful player ensuring no one just takes it from them.

I'm going to say yes, simply because a gigaton range weapon would be a doomsday device, a ten gigaton fusion device would create a fireball the size of Texas and a shockwave that could clear a continent. So it'd be pointlessly long range for an artillery device.