Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

+++The Host of Anguish+++

Blood Angels IX Legion Horus Heresy 30k Tyrannicide

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

Tyrannicide

Tyrannicide

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,806 posts

gallery_25301_10678_383300.png

"Within them he bestowed the rage of devils, as much the blood of the angel. How mistaken were we to think the two any different." - Unknown

gallery_25301_10678_14922.jpg

[Pict Capture DX/671-3900-21-A] - Unidentified Veteran Legionaries of the 71st Company conduct punitive operations against recidivist forces during the Third Hercynian Uprising.

• Spaced Hulk, Commissar Molotov, Sandlemad and 13 others like this

Brother Chaplain Kage

Brother Chaplain Kage

++ SACERDOS UMBRA ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 6,284 posts
  • Chapter Name: VIII Legion - Crimson Sons

Looks promising. Also, nice snag from the Godzilla movie.

• Tyrannicide likes this

dVIGLrG.pngFPVd6je.pngQiZFXmD.png

In the grim darkness of the far future, hope is the first step to despair.

gideon stargreave

gideon stargreave

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 80 posts

YEeeeeeaaaahhhh boy

great posing by the way

• Tyrannicide likes this

Candleshoes

Candleshoes

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,052 posts

I'm looking forward to the magic about to happen.

• Marshal Rohr and Tyrannicide like this

Commissar Molotov

Commissar Molotov

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,342 posts
  • Chapter Name: The Castigators

Subscribed - I expect great things from you! 

• Marshal Rohr and Tyrannicide like this

QUOTE (voi shet magir @ May 31 2011, 05:38 AM) 
That is an unexpectedly strong assertion from a dead person.

The Observer

The Observer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 606 posts
  • Chapter Name: The Legions of Yore

Oh boy, this is gonna be good!

• Tyrannicide likes this

My own, freshly started blog smile.png : http://beneathterra.blogspot.ch/

"What if the struggle between the Emperor and Chaos is a simplified example of Hegelian Dialectics that cannot reach a solution due to an insidious, capitalistic bid for the consumers money?" - A censored.gifpost by yours truly, 12th of August 2017, before the clock struck 1AM

Spaced Hulk

Spaced Hulk

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,174 posts
  • Chapter Name: Sword Bearers, Dark Angels

Not usually a fan of true scale/art scale marines, but those are absolutely epic! thumbsup.gif Somehow you've not only managed to give them a sense of movement, but also real grace and elegance that's perfect for the IX Legion.

Looking forward to seeing more! 

Edited by Spaced Hulk, 12 January 2017 - 06:53 PM.

• Tyrannicide likes this

ETL_2016_Banner_02_Oath_Breaker.jpg

+ The Vengeance of Angels + A First Legion 30K Blog: http://www.bolterand...s/#entry4512277

Sword Bearers: http://www.bolterand...-sword-bearers/

hushrong

hushrong

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,995 posts
  • Chapter Name: Iron Warriors

Oh yes. Definitely looking forward to this!

• Tyrannicide likes this

Emperor's Children: Cult of Golden Tears

Alpha Legion: The Heads of the Hydra Strike

Executioners: Badab War Tale of 8 Gamers

Tyrannicide

Tyrannicide

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,806 posts

Appreciate the encouraging words, brothers. Many of you happen to be on my list of biggest hobby influencers, so it means a lot.

Not usually a fan of true scale/art scale marines, but those are absolutely epic! thumbsup.gif Somehow you've not only managed to give them a sense of movement, but also real grace and elegance that's perfect for the IX Legion.

Exactly what I'm aiming for with each figure. Glad to hear it seems to be translating well enough. smile.png

+++

I wanted to have more prepared for the next update, but a little dispute between me and the Xacto has iced me for the night.

Here's where I'm at on the next Veteran. Thoughts?

gallery_25301_10678_21815.jpg

I was having a conversation with Rohr earlier and we thought the choice of parts might be disruptive to the natural flow of the model. A case where the parts are greater than the sum, if you will. The spiked shoulder rims + spiked helm + curved elbow armor and bare low half is causing me to have some second thoughts. Curious to hear what you all think.

• Candleshoes, Ramell, Soldier of Dorn and 2 others like this

Draakur

Draakur

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,503 posts
Not being a modeller of any sort yet, I should probably shut my damn mouth, but I can't help but agree - there's something asynchronous there. The stance/pose itself is solid I think, but the 'feel' is a little confused. Are you married to a spiked motif for this one?
  • Tyrannicide likes this
... A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men...

Soldier of Dorn

Soldier of Dorn

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,115 posts
  • Chapter Name: VII-284BTN

The problem, I think, is the contrast of the elegance and flow of the pose with the brutality of the helmet and the spiked MKII pauldrons. A sort of aesthetic dissonance, if you would. The pauldrons are the biggest problem because the spikes there bring attention to those on the helm and lend them a more barbaric quality. If it were my model, I would honestly probably either go with MKIV or MKVI pauldrons (without bonding studs) as my first choice, and standard MKII or III as a second... that should, as I imagine it, fix the problems with the model in my mind.

Anyways, good looking log. Always enjoy your stuff, and looking forward to whatever you might have to come.

• Tyrannicide likes this

"Welcome, Soldier of Dorn. Reborn from the ashes of The Psycho. Rise and stride forth with righteous fury and purpose. In the name of Terra, Dorn, and the Emperor."

- Dosjetka

7npa4ds.jpggallery_78067_11287_11575.png

The Burden of Duty: The VII Legion

[+++latest update+++]

A Cruel Angels Thesis

Sandlemad

Sandlemad

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 811 posts

The problem, I think, is the contrast of the elegance and flow of the pose with the brutality of the helmet and the spiked MKII pauldrons. A sort of aesthetic dissonance, if you would. The pauldrons are the biggest problem because the spikes there bring attention to those on the helm and lend them a more barbaric quality.

Seconded. Without the spikes pauldrons the spikes on the helmet would have more of a 'solar ray' appearance. It's only in the context of spikes elsewhere on the upper torso that you get a barbaric look, I think.

• Tyrannicide likes this

KBA

KBA

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,983 posts

Appreciate the encouraging words, brothers. Many of you happen to be on my list of biggest hobby influencers, so it means a lot.

Not usually a fan of true scale/art scale marines, but those are absolutely epic! :tu: Somehow you've not only managed to give them a sense of movement, but also real grace and elegance that's perfect for the IX Legion.

Exactly what I'm aiming for with each figure. Glad to hear it seems to be translating well enough. :)

+++

I wanted to have more prepared for the next update, but a little dispute between me and the Xacto has iced me for the night.

Here's where I'm at on the next Veteran. Thoughts?

gallery_25301_10678_21815.jpg

I was having a conversation with Rohr earlier and we thought the choice of parts might be disruptive to the natural flow of the model. A case where the parts are greater than the sum, if you will. The spiked shoulder rims + spiked helm + curved elbow armor and bare low half is causing me to have some second thoughts. Curious to hear what you all think.

Hard to judge this one. Your points may well be valid, but they didn't strike me on first glance. Those touches are quite nice on the model and jive with what you seem to be going for with your Blood Angls here. Furthermore, this is one of those models where you won't fully know what you've got until you slap some paint on it. Sometimes it's hard to see the bigger picture through all that gray plastic and resin.

I'd stick with it.
  • Tyrannicide likes this
gallery_48988_6285_60.jpggallery_48988_6285_269.jpggallery_48988_10980_7442.pngETL_2016_Banner_02_Oath_Breaker.jpg

Angrypantz

Angrypantz

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 253 posts
  • Chapter Name: Red Corsairs
Firstly, nice looking scaled up marines. It's not a thing I'm 100% sold on a lot of the time but these are tip top.

Secondly, the spiked pads are an interesting direction to go with. MK II pads without the spikes would be cool to see just as an alternative.

And Finally, where is that Loin cloth from? I keep on seeing little bits in projects and become stumped as to where they originated from.
  • Tyrannicide likes this

DarKHaZZ13

DarKHaZZ13

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,270 posts
  • Chapter Name: Salamanders

Firstly, nice looking scaled up marines. It's not a thing I'm 100% sold on a lot of the time but these are tip top.

Secondly, the spiked pads are an interesting direction to go with. MK II pads without the spikes would be cool to see just as an alternative.

And Finally, where is that Loin cloth from? I keep on seeing little bits in projects and become stumped as to where they originated from.

Its from the Stormcast eternals for AOS

• Tyrannicide likes this

-DH- Innocence proves nothing

Twitch Channel & YouTube Channel
Personal Blog - The Science of Selling Yourself Short
Board Game E-Zine - The Cardboard Cartographer
Hobby Blog - The Underhive Hero

You know you play too much 40k when, after a 'good night' with your significant other, you perform a sweeping advance instead of letting her go to sleep. After you finish, you declare it a massacre, and attempt to consolidate D6 feet towards the shower and/or kitchen.

Candleshoes

Candleshoes

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,052 posts

The model itself and its flow is perfectly executed. My only suggestion would be if it "feels" off to you, you may want to remove the spike on the helm - it will slim it down a bit, give it that sleekness you expect with a figure in motion, but the filigree on the helm still keeps the ornateness. On the other hand, it is killer the way it is.

• Tyrannicide likes this

Idomeneus

Idomeneus

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 82 posts

Awww. Hell. YES.

Already loving everything here, I think the spike man looks fine as is, but maybe swapping out the helm or shoulder pads for something sleeker will balance it more.

• Tyrannicide likes this

Tyrannicide

Tyrannicide

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,806 posts

gallery_25301_10678_9775.jpg

"Upon the tower stood an angel. The plate of his crimson armor catching the licking glare of the flames wreathing his feathered back. In one hand he held a standard which shone radiant, like a pillar set on fire. He had come to deliver a message, one which could not be missed - War."

+++

Wow. Asked for feedback and I certainly got it. Really appreciate it, all of you. smile.png

@ Draakur: Nonsense, I'll take every opinion I can get, dude. I agree, there's definitely some clashing imagery that needs sorting.

@ Psycho: Good to see you, man. Totally agree. I'm going to try plain Mk. 2/3 pads next.

@ Sandlemad: I hadn't thought about that, but you're right. The spikes on the pads pull the focus from the spiked halo of his helm. Great feedback!  

@ KBA: Always the case, huh? tongue.png Something might look totally funky, but a good coat of paint can silence it all.

@ Angrypantz: Thanks, bro. I wasn't sold on the scaled up method at first either, but now it's the only way for me.

@ Candleshoes: That's the best way to put it. Something about it just feels off currently. I've got some ideas to go an entirely different direction with the helmet and pads, so we'll see what the next version looks like.

@ Idomeneus: Glad you're excited, dude! biggrin.png

+++

I'm hoping to have another update in the next few days with the majority of the first veteran squad built. Keep your eyes peeled.

• BrotherCaptainArkhan, KBA, Noserenda and 4 others like this

Celestial Guardian

Celestial Guardian

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 295 posts
  • Chapter Name: Knights of Lydda
That guy is nothing short of awesome! Where did you get the wings?
  • Tyrannicide likes this

Soldier of Dorn

Soldier of Dorn

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,115 posts
  • Chapter Name: VII-284BTN

That guy is nothing short of awesome! Where did you get the wings?

The wings are from the Dark Eldar Scourges, if I recall correctly.

Great work, mate, on the Standard Bearer. I like how his standard is a polearm: it speaks to the idea that every part of the Astartes is molded for war, and it evokes images of him soaring down with his brethren, ready to plunge his blade into the enemy's throat. Eager to see the completed Veteran Squad.

• Tyrannicide likes this

"Welcome, Soldier of Dorn. Reborn from the ashes of The Psycho. Rise and stride forth with righteous fury and purpose. In the name of Terra, Dorn, and the Emperor."

- Dosjetka

7npa4ds.jpggallery_78067_11287_11575.png

The Burden of Duty: The VII Legion

[+++latest update+++]

A Cruel Angels Thesis

Ramell

Ramell

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 516 posts
  • Chapter Name: Legio XIII: ℧ltramarines
That standard bearer is incredible. And the other models are pretty damn good too.
I'll be following this thread with great interest.
  • Tyrannicide likes this

hushrong

hushrong

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,995 posts
  • Chapter Name: Iron Warriors

OH MY! There is something beautiful and dreadful about that mini. Fits very well with the idea I have of the angels being graceful yet savage.

Emperor's Children: Cult of Golden Tears

Alpha Legion: The Heads of the Hydra Strike

Executioners: Badab War Tale of 8 Gamers

Brother Pheidias

Brother Pheidias

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,141 posts

Don't you DARE touch those spikes, I think it lends itself well to the duality of the Blood Angels, and cements them in the brutality of the Heresy very well. Every rose has its thorns and all that jazz tongue.png

Draakur

Draakur

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,503 posts
Standard bearer is kiiiiilling it, great sense of presence. I would never have guessed that helmet choice would work in this context, but for some reason it just fits, does a lot for the aura of menace - well done!

What'd you decide for the spiked veteran? :)
... A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men...

Candleshoes

Candleshoes

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,052 posts

I'm late to the party... now THAT is a 30k Blood Angel through and through.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Blood Angels, IX Legion, Horus Heresy, 30k, Tyrannicide

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users