+++The Host of Anguish+++

Tyrannicide

• 7 months later...

gallery_25301_10678_63017.jpg

+++

Wow, where did the time go?

Considering how long it's been since the last update I wish I had something better to show, but for now this is it. I've been slowly working on the remaining veterans, the command squad and more. There's been speed bumps along the way with lots of indecision; my specialty when it comes to stalling projects. My goal is to have the first veteran squad completely built by the end of the month, with painting to follow shortly after. I'm still working on my red armor recipe for the time being.

Still a lot to show, so keep any eye out. :smile.:

Gorgeous as always, Tyrannicide. The swordsman is beautiful, to be sure, but the bolter veteran is lovely as well -- there's a life, a weary vitality in his stance that I can't quite encapsulate with words. Very much looking forward to seeing some paint on these lads.

• 6 months later...

++WIP++

gallery_25301_10678_66927.jpg

+IX Legion Assault Legionary+

+++

I started priming this fella yesterday, but unfortunately ran into some serious clogging and coverage using Vallejo's white surface primer. He's since been stripped and I'll be trying a new spray primer today. Stand by for paint! :smile.:

I very much like that base. Vallejo pumice? Or something else?

I love the more utilitarian side of some of your recent BAs -- it's a different side to the IX Legion than you normally see, and I'm actually planning something of a similar approach with mine once I get a couple orders in. They're artisans, yeah, but there's another side of that coin. They're still Astartes, warriors, the greatest soldiers humanity has ever known, and that aspect of them, I feel, sometimes gets lost beneath the bling. And these last couple models do well in bringing back the militarism to the Legion.

++WIP++

gallery_25301_10678_66927.jpg

+IX Legion Assault Legionary+

+++

I started priming this fella yesterday, but unfortunately ran into some serious clogging and coverage using Vallejo's white surface primer. He's since been stripped and I'll be trying a new spray primer today. Stand by for paint! :smile.:

Nice insert work! Very subtle!

HUZZAH! Damn do I love the FW upgrades for the IX. That helmet, among other bits, just look great.

Fingers crossed for smoother paint!

Thanks, man!

I very much like that base. Vallejo pumice? Or something else?

I love the more utilitarian side of some of your recent BAs -- it's a different side to the IX Legion than you normally see, and I'm actually planning something of a similar approach with mine once I get a couple orders in. They're artisans, yeah, but there's another side of that coin. They're still Astartes, warriors, the greatest soldiers humanity has ever known, and that aspect of them, I feel, sometimes gets lost beneath the bling. And these last couple models do well in bringing back the militarism to the Legion.

Thanks, dude! Always appreciate your input.

Yeah, the main ingredient on the bases is Vallejo Desert Sand which is similar to the pumice stuff from what I can see. Interested to see how your trials with the IX go. :smile.:

Ah, true beauty that assault marine!

Thank you!

Ohh nice to see a new model from you! Very clean work as usual, looking forward to seeing more!

Appreciate it! :smile.:

Nice insert work! Very subtle!

Thanks, brother!

Fantastic work bro! Really nice :thumbsup:

Thanks! Been digging your Sons!

+++

So the above guy is turning into a real pain in the butt. I stripped him and decided to have a go at painting him all by hand (something I haven't done with a model in ages), and it's been issue after issue. I've encountered a really weird problem with my GW reds foaming when mixed with water. Tried water out of the tap and then bottled water and neither seemed to make a difference. I've never had an issue mixing the Citadel paints with water before so this is an irritating development. I'm considering just stripping him again, rinsing him in soapy water and letting him sit for a few days before having another go. Either way, I did get further on the next members of the assault squad.

Has any one encountered this before with their paints? Any advice would be more than welcome!

+++

gallery_25301_10678_476884.jpg

I've had nothing but issues with GW reds and haven't really had a chance to explore alternatives myself, so can't really offer much in the way of advice.

On the models, however, I kinda feel as though the center guy in that last picture was a stronger model without a jump pack. Not really certain why I feel that way, something about how the silhouette is composed.

Sorry to hear you're having the same challenges with GW's red that I am. I've tried water, flow improver, and a mix of both to try and beat the frothing. Best I could do was to very slowly mix the paint with water and go after any air bubbles that formed on the minis. One of the plasma gunners I'm currently painting had to be taken back down to his undercoat and started again.

Those bases are amazing! Will you be doing urban coloring or ash waste?

Thanks, bro. Thinking grey urban ruins and rubble.

Sucks to hear about the paint and sucks more that I have no tips to offer. I suck at painting and I am sure I would make it worse haha.

I hope you find something to work through this red debacle.

Cool to see your marines based and did you magnetize their backpacks?

Backpacks are not magnetized. These are your classic jump pack assault marines. :)

I've had nothing but issues with GW reds and haven't really had a chance to explore alternatives myself, so can't really offer much in the way of advice.

On the models, however, I kinda feel as though the center guy in that last picture was a stronger model without a jump pack. Not really certain why I feel that way, something about how the silhouette is composed.

I changed my list around to run Day of Revelations, so these will no longer be Veteran Tacticals as I had previously planned. Hopefully once he's painted it will blend better and won't be so noticeable.

Sorry to hear you're having the same challenges with GW's red that I am. I've tried water, flow improver, and a mix of both to try and beat the frothing. Best I could do was to very slowly mix the paint with water and go after any air bubbles that formed on the minis. One of the plasma gunners I'm currently painting had to be taken back down to his undercoat and started again.

That's rough, man. I ended up just getting new air versions of the reds I was using for this recipe. I'll let you know how it goes lol.

+++

I hate updating without pictures, but I'm still plodding along with the test model and getting the rest of the assault marines to a state I'm comfortable with sharing. I should have an update soon!

Blood Angel assault marine with jump packs just seems right. The last thing their foes see is fiery, red orb of death launching at them.

Anxious to see you post pictures test job and more assault marines.

• 11 months later...

Damn, I hate you!

I was so sure not to truescale my bloodangels in my 30k project...now I can't unseen them

They are glorious, and I plan to do a day of Revelation too, so a lot of repositioning is  needed anyway.

do you follow some kind of tutorial?