REF ART - The Art of the Lost

~Drakzilla~

I want to quote a wise man from discord

I'm going to point out that FW cheats on this matter. They can afford to not use Primarch art, outside of the sketches, because they have the models. They have Black Library. We do not have those advantages. So, while I can agree that the cover art can focus on establishing the scale of our battles, akin to FW, if we do get more art that we can put in the rulebooks, we should not rule out Primarch combat.

Because of this i opted for the own way because we don't have other products to showcase our primarchs who have THE central role

Cheat! 

Seriously though, in that post, I was talking about art in the book, not the cover art. ...though I suppose it could still be used as an argument for that too.

Well, I was for FW like art as well. ;)

Two per month is incredible and a great opportunity to so what we want.

In the end, I'm for FW style covers and our own style within the book for Mikhal's reasons.

We could mix the fw style with the style of recent codices. So the layout etc like fw but some cool artwork to introduce chapters and shale things a bit up.

This got my vote!

Alright, I think we've reached a consensus. We'll iron out the balance between armies and Primarchs once the cover arts are done. 

For the cover of Insurrection, I believe the general consensus is to feature the Harbingers versus the Halcyon Wardens, since they are the respective mascots for the Traitors and the Loyalists.

Two ideas have been bandied about. One is a naval engagement between the two sides or a boarding action. Preferences?

Also, does anyone have any singing talent/experience?

Edited by simison

I'm of the opinion to get cover art for the trilogies (including book 1 Insurrection as a trilogy) in priority over separate parts of books

Further, I think that each trilogy could have a battle between two of our legions, with a new pair for each cover - trilogy 1: Insurrection should probably present Harbingers and Halcyon Wardens as they are the central actors of the story, though it would also be poetic to have that pairing for the second siege of terra, which is problematic XD

Alright, I think we've reached a consensus. We'll iron out the balance between armies and Primarchs once the cover arts are done. 

For the cover of Insurrection, I believe the general consensus is to feature the Harbingers versus the Halcyon Wardens, since they are the respective mascots for the Traitors and the Loyalists.

Two ideas have been bandied about. One is a naval engagement between the two sides or a boarding action. Preferences?

Also, does anyone have any singing talent/experience?

I can do death metal growls and electronic stuff.

https://soundcloud.com/devastator-uk-official/scp-217

^ All me.

"To pitch in with the Book 1 art discussion, an idea I had was to depict a Harbinger vs HW boarding action with a number of Volta terminators in the foreground and then in front of them a shield wall of HW, all shining in an orangey glow from a fire that's somehow been started on the ship."

This is Sig's suggestion for the Book 1 cover art. Both Blunt and I like it, so we're going to see if the artist can do this. 

With one more addition from Blunt: "could we have the Harbingers emerging from a teleport flare?"

• 1 month later...

Blunt, could you leave your cover art pitch here or tell me what you want to see in it? Twice now since I brought it up, czar has been available. I want to get this pic started immediately after we have left half a month slip by us. 

Well, the aboard ships one is a pretty standard one of HW and Harbingers meeting in battle. Harbingers racing from gunships and assault rams to attack a Vth Legion shield wall. I believe a preference was expressed by fraters that Volta or Oni should be clearly visible.

The one I'd prefer to see is a Harbingers battleship looming over a smaller Halcyon Wardens one (though we'd have to dig up Athrawes' old sketch to see what the former is meant to look like), with Legion symbols prominently displayed in each. Maybe the Wardens one can be firing up at the bigger ship.

• 10 months later...
  • 3 months later...

[i'm borrowing this thread to get the animated script going.]

THE EIGHTEEN

By

BOTL

FADE IN - The camera slowly pans over a ruined city in [twilight?]. Several wrecked vehicles burn along the main road [rhinos?]. A HARBINGER LIBRARIAN walks out of one of the ruined buildings, walking with a force staff. He closes his other hand into a fist as lightning bundles into it. 

Camera swings behind the Harbinger Librarian as a HALCYON WARDEN ATHENOI marches through a fire pit, the camera pushes past the Harbinger Librarian to zoom in on the new arrival. He wields a spear and shield and advances cautiously to the edge of the road. He stops and plants his spear in defiance. 

To the left of the Halcyon Warden Athenoi, a IRON BEAR TERMINATOR bulldozes through a burning vehicle. He slams his power fists together twice as he takes his place next to the Athenoi.

The camera pans and focuses on one of the shadows created by the ruins. Stepping seamlessly out of the shadow is a GRAVE STALKER BLACKSOUL carries a handheld, barbed axe. The Blacksoul slowly steps forward before stopping next to the Librarain, lazily aiming the axe towards the Iron Bear. 

The camera slides to the Blacksoul's flank as a GODSLAYER GOLIATH marches proudly forward with ripper glaive at the ready. He holds the weapon out front with both hands at the ready position. 

Across from the Goliath, a VOID EAGLE ASSAULT CAPTAIN lands on the other side of the road. Armed with power fist and plasma pistol, he stands back up with the pistol aimed towards the Goliath. 

Sprinting through the ruins, a quick SCIONS HOSPITALIER MEDICAE PRIMUS slides up next to the assault captain. He readies his narthecium as he scans the area. 

Across from the Primus, a building collapses. After a moment, a fist punches through the debris before a DROWNED MALACOST pulls himself out. As he stands, he shakes off some of the dirt before marching towards the Primus, stopping just at the edge of the road, hands squeezing around his bolter.

Next to the Malacost, a BERSERKER OF URAN MILEWALKER lands hard, punching holes into the ground. He seethes as he pulls out two shanks, spinning one in his hand.

Across from the Milewalker, a CRIMON LION TERMINATOR charges forward, roaring in rage, as he brandishes a sword. He barely stops at the edge of the road. 

As the terminator heaves with anger, a DUNE SERPENT SCOUT slithers up next to the road. A camo cloak covers his back as he hefts a sniper rifle, eyes scanning the other side. 

The scout's eyes snap onto an approaching WARBRINGERS PRAETOR. Wearing ornate armour, the Praetor marches in dignified silence as he grips a two-handed power maul, cloak billowing as he moves. He stops at the edge of the road and brings his power maul up in a salute.  

Jumping off a building, a WARRIORS OF PEACE DRAGONHAWK flips and lands next to the Praetor before assuming a martial arts stance. 

Across from the Dragonhawk, a gas line ignites, creating a wall of flame. Stepping through the fire, a FIRE KEEPER CHAPLAIN marches through unconcerned. Wielding a crozius, he takes his place next to the scout. 

Coming in next to the chaplain, a PREDATOR SHAMAN raises a bone-covered staff, waving it towards the enemy before slamming it down onto the ground. 

Across from the shaman, a STEEL LEGION MASTER OF SIGNAL marches toward his own line, head swiveling over enemy and ally alike. 

Hands ands arms spread wide and pointed toward the heavens, a EAGLE WARRIOR CHAPLAIN slowly takes his spot next to the master of signal, one hand gripping a ritual knife. 

Finally, a WARDEN OF LIGHT SITHEADAIR lands next to the shaman. He raises tonfa blades and assumes a combat pose. The Eagle Warriors chaplain points the ritual knife at the Sitheadair. The Sitheadair bleeds from his chest before he steps back, away from the Loyalist line. 

The camera pulls back and swings around the entire group once. Camera zooms in on the Steel Legion, the Warbringer, and the Warriors of Peace legionaries. The three turn to look at each other before stepping out in unison. They do not cross the road, but plant themselves in the middle, back-to-back. The Predator Shaman pulls up his force stave and walks over to join the Traitor line. The Sitheadair steps back forward to rejoin the Loyalist line.

The camera pulls back and pans over all of the legionaries one last time. 

FADE OUT

• 6 months later...

Howdy folks!

I know..long time, no post. Thought I'd revive this thread with some updated artwork. Slowly been going over some of the Brotherhood of Lost pics and quickly realized, 'Man, I need to update some of these image.' My skills have come much further then they once were. So now, without further ado..on to the pics! First up..the Insurrectionist Legions:

LEGION I - HARBINGERS

gallery_4536_13869_68050.png

Pre-Insurrection Lightning Bearers Legion Breacher.

gallery_4536_13869_82977.png

A Post-Insurrection Harbingers Volta Terminator.

gallery_4536_13869_13005.png

A Post-Insurrection Harbingers Oni Spectre.

LEGION IV - BERSERKERS OF URAN

gallery_4536_13869_231300.png

Updated Berserkers of Uran armorial with legion iconography. Note: Grisly trophies.

gallery_4536_13869_316042.png

Updated look for a Berserkers of Uran Heretic Legionary.

LEGIO VIII - GODSLAYERS

gallery_4536_13869_264383.png

Updated look for a Godslayers Heretic Legionary.

LEGIO XIII - EAGLE WARRIORS

(No new pics)

LEGIO XV - GRAVE STALKERS

gallery_4536_13869_272188.png

Updated look for a Grave Stalkers Heretic Legionary.

LEGIO XVI - THE DROWNED

gallery_4536_13869_394555.png

Updated look for a Drowned Heretic Legionary.

LEGIO XX - THE PREDATORS

gallery_4536_13869_242385.png

Updated look for a Predators Heretic Legionary.

Alright..so now I'll present the Loyalist Legions of the Icarion Insurrection. Much of this artwork has been re-worked:

III LEGION - CRIMSON LIONS

gallery_4536_13867_152353.png

Crimson Lions Legionary.

LEGIO IV - VOID EAGLES

gallery_4536_13867_69277.png

A Void Eagles Legionary.

LEGIO V - HALCYON WARDENS

gallery_4536_13867_9865.png

Halcyon Wardens Legionary.

gallery_4536_13867_604766.png

An elite member of the Halcyon Wardens Athenoi terminator armoured veterans.

LEGIO VI - IRON BEARS

gallery_4536_13867_288711.png

An Iron Bears Legionary.

LEGIO X - FIRE KEEPERS

gallery_4536_13867_34154.png

Fire Keepers Legionary.

LEGIO XII - WARDENS OF LIGHT

gallery_4536_13867_40341.png

Wardens of Light Legionary.

gallery_4536_13867_400267.png

Wardens of Light Legion Breacher.

LEGIO XIV - DUNE SERPENTS

gallery_4536_13867_98722.png

A Dune Serpents Dhul'Hasin (Legionary of Dhulsan) in traditional colours of his legion homeworld.

gallery_4536_13867_85345.png

Dune Serpents armorial (in alternate colour scheme).

gallery_4536_13867_221032.png

A Dune Serpents Shamshir Raider in alternate colour scheme.

gallery_4536_13867_127873.png

A Dune Serpents Al'laramad Outrider in alternate colour scheme.

gallery_4536_13867_81352.png

A Dune Serpents Al'laramad Outrider Sergeant with cameoline cloak.

gallery_4536_13867_223568.png

A Dune Serpents Dursk Rassan in alternate colour scheme.

LEGIO XIX - SCIONS HOSPITLIER

(No new pics.)

LEGIO AUXILIA VII - SHEPHERDS OF EDEN

gallery_4536_13867_322787.png

Shepherds of Eden Legionary.

Edited by Algrim Whitefang