REF ART - The Art of the Lost

~Drakzilla~

Hi Azor,

Well they wear Mk6 so trims are not that common. But Drak could have chosen another Armor Mark and suddenly we would have trims for the Serpents.

Considering the color: Mr.Squig made a marine with a more vibrant color scheme. Otherwise, what do you suggest to improve them? I am sure Squig will be happy to have some input.

And: Welcome to the ranks of the brotherhood of the lost, where the work is plenti and the wages awful^^. With no thx and only insults on a daily basis. Welcome.

Hi Azor,

Well they wear Mk6 so trims are not that common. But Drak could have chosen another Armor Mark and suddenly we would have trims for the Serpents.

Considering the color: Mr.Squig made a marine with a more vibrant color scheme. Otherwise, what do you suggest to improve them? I am sure Squig will be happy to have some input.

And: Welcome to the ranks of the brotherhood of the lost, where the work is plenti and the wages awful^^. With no thx and only insults on a daily basis. Welcome.

Thank you very much, brother. I really appreciate your welcome.

I'm going to suggest dark purple(even more deeper and darker than the Halcyon Wardens), dark blue trim and acid yellow eyes. 

XIV is the only Legion utterly lacking trims and ornaments. Combined with its drab color, it feels a little...strange, and wanted, as if those legionaries are fremen-ish desert vagabonds, not proper space marines. 

Well, that is just my feeling and I'm not particularly fond at the XIV - frankly, DS are the least favorite Legion of mine in this project for a variety of reasons -. Nonetheless, a bit more adornment and application of vibrant colors...would be much better, I suppose. :wink:

Like Mikhal said, Mk.6 lacks any trim, so it is inherently more plain. However, the subdued color scheme and minimal decoration was an intentional choice, as it fits the legion's character. The Dune Serpents are known for being the "dishonorable" legion, using asymmetric warfare and snipers and whatnot. I doesn't suit them to have fancy trim and bold, vibrant colors. 

As for your suggested scheme, purple is a tricky color. Space Marine color schemes that include it alongside other colors can tend to look very "clown-ish" without the right balance. The Serpents already have purple, yellow, and red incorporated in their scheme. I'm inclined to believe that adding any more color, or making these colors more saturated would push it into garish territory.

• 1 month later...

*le me browsing BotL forum as usual* Oh hey, the Art of the Lost thread's been updated, it's probably just a random remark but I might as check it ou-

Well, it's been a long time coming, but the Predators have finally emerged from the shadows...

http://i.imgur.com/n5g4NvU.jpg?1

http://gifrific.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/star-trek-mind-blown.gif

Sweet! Who's left?

Uhh... The Morning Stars I think? Oh wait! The Harbingers haven't been done yet, only their Lightning Bearers precursor scheme. I think they're fairly similar but the white armour changes to a dark stormcloud grey and I think their star emblem changes slightly to resemble the octed star of Chaos. You'd probably have to ask Athrawes himself to know for sure though. Edited by SanguiniusReborn

Sim, have you given any thought to how Malis' lot might end up looking? I also need to talk to Squig about which Traitor Serpents survive long enough to grow properly.

I reckon gene-seed should be a factor in the war for Mars, with Kelbor-Hal taking as much as he can when he escapes.

Also, sailing into Wellington and I just saw dolphins. Happy days.

Edit: wrong thread for the gene-seed bit, but eh

Edited by bluntblade

Well, yeah there are some proto-legions or Legio Auxilia that have yet to be done, but the 18 big guys have finally been completed.

Man, that feels good.

It's a big milestone no doubt, we've come a long way from when we Lost Brothers first gathered here in the dark together, labouring in our collective madness to weave a new universe into existence. I'm really proud of what we've made so far, and I can't wait to see what the future holds. :)

I hate it that I can't post gifs while at work!

At first, I saw the group shot and I was like "HELL YE....wait....there's a Predator... W T F ? ! ?" *scrolls up and sees the Predator shot*

:jawdrop:

*heart attack, instant Love Parade in my head, filled with joy* [tbh it was most likely the same reaction as Sangi posted above]

Thank you, Drak! :_D You made my day!

And you used a MK IV, my favorite pattern.... dud, I love you! <3

Edited by Kelborn

Don't want to be insolent but could you do a group shot with all Legions? Either ordered by their numbers or a combination of all three factions? Left side the loyalists, upper right corner traitors, bottom right corner Suzerainty? Something like a wallpaper? ^^

Edited by Kelborn