OakRiver

Warden Caelain Vespucci, IX Legion, 83rd Company

rksBFOK.jpg

mOFYclq.jpg

1swjit7.jpg

7F85MzU.jpg

bYUiISD.jpg

6ASaQtI.jpg

"Warden Vespucci was a giant of a man long before he ever served in our Legion. Clad in his warplate and armed with his unshakable faith in the Imperial Truth his presence on the battlefield was incredible, leading from the front he galvanized the Brothers of our Legion on to glory with his deeds. A living avatar of the Emperor's will he carried weapons that he felt best suited his role; his crozius arcanum was his badge of office, and his inferno pistol was his judgement writ large.

While devout in his adherence to the Emperor he was not a firebrand as others were wont to be. His calm nature meant that when he spoke his thoughts were well considered, and his judgement sound. He spent much time with the Remembrancers we had on our vessels, as well as having lengthy discussions with Brother Santo. When Captain Eco was being prepared for his ironform and Ennius took command of our Company he would often spend time in consultation with our midnight clad Warden.

His stoic nature was well received during his time spent fighting alongside our cousins in the VII Legion. It was from those warriors that he adopted the practice of chaining his crozius to his arm as he fought. On Signus Prime one of the Neverborn attempted to wrest his weapon from his hand, snapping the bindings. It was with this broken chain that he throttled the existence from its unnatural form. After the baleful events of that campaign, and the extent of Horus's treachery became apparent, we each felt its touch in a unique way. For Warden Vespucci his calm demeanor masked a cold fury that he was all too content to unleash on the Traitors. On Terra itself his cold fury left scores of rebels marking our path to The Palace.

In the maddening days following the decimation of our Company, the loss of our Father, and the death of The Emperor it was Warden Vespucci's sound judgement that carried us through" - Veteran Sergeant Alessio, 1st Squad, 83rd Company

For Warden Vespucci this was a fairly simple conversion, with the main body being the Cassius mini from the 'Kill Team' game. After removing the obvious Ultramarine and Ordo Xenos details I replaced those with Blood Angel specific parts. After using the center of a banner ornament for the parchment on his chest the wings were added to the lower leg armor to try to break up the silhouette. The head of the crozius was re-purposed from Veteran Sergeant Alessio, and a new honorific added in its place. Other parts were added along the way including the backpack with the scroll, chosen to echo Santo's. For the head I finally settled on one of the easy to assemble Reiver heads. To wrap it up an inferno pistol was added as a definitively Blood Angels weapon.

Painting wise this was different for me as he was painted outside in, meaning that I painted all his details first, starting with the gold, and then worked my way back to painting his black armor. For that I was more selective in my highlights and used the GW method for painting The Fallen (Abaddon Black base, highlight Dark Reaper, selective highlight Fenrisian Grey). For the eyes I cheated and used a micropen.

Edited by OakRiver

Thanks Bjorn, I have to say that it was a lot of fun painting a single character model instead of batch painting. Seeing the pics lets me see little details that I need to tidy up; like the highlight on his right wrist and the blood drop on his right hand.

Thanks Hushrong. The next  character I do will probably be Veteran Sergeant Alessio, our narrator. While nominally a Veteran Sergeant I want him to be a distinct and more than just a line officer. I did do a little more with him today, but most of my work was on the next three members of The Martyrs. In terms of characters I currently have;

- Legion Pretor

- Chaplain

- Moriat

- occasional Champion

I do want to include a Techmarine (how else does Eco get his ironform), but I also want to see what they do with Librarians. I still have a backpack with the Librarian symbol from the Dark Vengeance set and I was contemplating sneaking that into a squad to denote a former Librarian. 

I did play around with some more bits and this project might be lasting longer than anticipated as I have enough parts to almost equip a 5 man Legion Support Squad with heavy bolters. Thinking of a potential Librarian I found a Sanguinary Guard axe and now my wheels are churning about a potential retinue for Warden Vespucci. This retinue would be equipped for close combat and tasked with assisting The Warden with enforcing the Edict of Nikkea.

Oh...Oh my god! That Warden, i-it's beautiful!

Seriously though, that Cassius model is awesome as it is but your conversion is simply sublime, the choice of bits and paint job makes for a wonderfully gilded look fully appropriate for a man of Warden Vespucci's station while still being more understated and subtle than the original model! I also love the lore for the good Warden, especially the bit about him throttling a Daemon to death with his Crozius's chain, just badass, as a Chaplain (or Warden, in this case) should be.

So, in a word?

tumblr_mhw0itIfGd1rsyoeko1_r2_1280.gif?z

Edited by SanguiniusReborn

Thank you so much SanguiniusReborn. I have been very luck so far in that the parts just seems to fall into the right combinations, or that inspiration just hits at the right time. For the chain I wasn't confident that I could remove it without having to do significant repair work to the crozius so I wanted to work it into his backstory. I vaguely recall one of the characters in a Black Library publication strangling an Eldar Exarch with barded wire so I used that as my leaping off point.

The Blood Angels have always been my Astartes of choice, harking back to the days of 'Space Crusade', and I've found the Heresy more interesting than the 40K universe because it has so much more potential for my imagination to run riot. 

The Warden looks good and lives up to his role. :thumbsup:

Not sure how I've managed to follow your log for so long and yet not comment... At least that's been rectified now!

Thank you so much! I've been guilty of following threads and not commenting or liking as much as I should, so I'm trying to get better at that too.

The more I think about a retinue for The Warden the more I like the idea. I'm leaning towards power axes, and either pistols or combi-weapons but if the community has more characterful suggestions I'm all ears. I had briefly considered a witch burning squad, but The Martyrs pretty much fulfill my flame based needs for my small force.

Does anyone know how well these power axes go with regular power armor Astartes?

99550101328_LegionTartarosPowerAxeSet01.

They have a nice, brutal executioner's look to them that work well with their assigned role. If he wasn't part of The Vengeful then Galterio would have fit in well with this squad as he is already wielding a sizable axe;

http://oi177.photobucket.com/albums/w213/mp7a1/0626171232b_zpsyoo7xigv.jpg

I am considering painting the helm's of this squad all black to mark them aside from their Brothers. The current fluff I'm contemplating is that these are Brothers from across the IX Legion who show promise to become Wardens learning under a master, so their mettle and devotion is tested by their vow to uphold the Nikkea Edict.

So the more digging I have done around ForgeWorld's site the more I have a new plan for the Oath Sworn's axes; the Imperial Fist Phalanx Warder upgrade pack.

99550101407_ImperialFistLegionPhalanxSqa

While pricier than the Tartaros pack this would give me 5 suitable power axes, a vox and banner I could use (with minor conversion) in my Company, a series of torsos that I could use (with minor conversion) - including one with an Imperial Raptor, some suitable grim helms that are characterful for this squad, and the axe shoulder pads which I could use as this squad's emblem. The Imperial Fist specific parts could be used for a small 30k element as the 83rd relieved them at the wall, or a 40K Crimson Fist element.

So, my first ever ForgeWorld order has been placed and it is for parts from another Legion than my beloved Blood Angels. I did take the opportunity to order some heavy weapons to equip my Legion Support Squad, and rule of cool beat practicality. Even though I just needed one more heavy bolter I was sorely torn between lascannons and autocannons for fire support, but my heart went choom. 

I guess I need to make some more marble bases.

Hmmm, the shield idea could work as I have some Terminator Storm Shields in my bits box. I had originally ordered them to press mold details for the Contemptor or other vehicles. I've already used one for . If I take a 5 man retinue and have one Sergeant, two with shields, and two with other weapons. In fact... shield, black helm, choppy close combat weapon...that reminds me of someone...

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w213/mp7a1/0617171745_zpsdpv4vwyl.jpg

So lets go with that most ancient of GW tradition, the retcon;

"Edigio was the first of the Oath Sworn; Brothers whom our Warden had selected for further training. Their role was unique in our Company, the enforcement of the Edict of Nikkea. They were tasked with passing the Emperor's judgement on all those of our Legion who would break his command on psychic powers. Following his bravery in combat alongside Captain Eco our lord sought out Warden Vespucci and requested that the warrior be allowed to set aside his oath and join his retinue. Vespucci refused to let any Brother of our Legion be known as an oath-breaker, instead allowing Edigio to accompany our Captain to fulfill his oath and protect him against any enemy who would use unnatural powers.

Edigio had taken Eco's death on the enemy cruiser hard. All of us who were a part of that boarding action knew he could not have fought harder. His war plate had been extensively damaged as he fought with reckless abandon to get to Eco's side and protect Tobias as he ministered to our Captain. The damaged pieces of his armor were replaced with experimental components that had not yet been field tested. While it resembled the armor he would later wear the materials were not as efficient and the servos required additional power which exposed cables provided. In those dark days necessity trumped many other concerns.  

I found him when the dust settled kneeling over Gilberto's remains, his fingers gently closing the eyes of our fallen brother. He spoke to me of his sorrow at not being able to save him from the sorcerous energies wielded by one of our fallen cousins, arriving only in time to end the wretched existence of the Traitor. Together we bore Gilberto's body back to the Palace on Egidio's shield. Over time as we took stock of our losses he carved the names of our dead to the inside of his shield, swearing an oath to avenge each of them." - Veteran Sergeant Alessio
Edited by OakRiver

If you are feeling frisky I think the removal of the fist emblems on the shield would be cool. Make some fancy shields for your Blood Angels.

I also think the idea of black helms would be a really neat idea to impliment into this squad.

I think that the black helms and painting the axe shoulder pad black will help identify this unit as unique on the battlefield, while keeping them as part of the cohesive force. 

I already have plans for the raptor torso once the VII emblem has been removed. It will be used for the Sergeant of the Oath Sworn, Anellius 'Witch Bane'. A Terran Born veteran, and member of the Legion before they were reunited with their Primarch, he tends to be more fanatical than Vespucci but keeps that restrained to the best of his ability. Coming from outside the 83rd he is the second ever to serve in the Oath Sworn, and he has a fractious relationship with Edigio, who he sees as having broken his oath.

I love the build up of your army. From the fluff to the minis and that's what I love most in this hobby.

Man, thinking about black helms, executioner axe emblem-bearing, edict of nikea enforcers just keeps sounding better. I wonder if there is a way to expand that into 40k if you wanted. Maybe even work it toward becoming the start of the Redeemer of the Lost. They went from enforcing the edict of nikea to trying to contain the black rage that gripped the legion following the heresy.

While the painting is a lot of fun for me the converting and the fluff are what really makes this hobby come to life.

I had never considered a link to the Redeemer of the Lost, which by happy coincidence could make complete sense. There is that tangential link in the preferred choice of weapon (big axe) showing an operational parallel, and from a timeline perspective it makes sense; as the Heresy progressed and the prohibition on Librarians wielding their powers is revoked/overlooked for expediency the role of the Oath Sworn is at it's end and the Legion no longer needs to protect itself from a potential threat within and uphold the Edict. With the death of Sanguinius and the Black Rage now afflicting the Blood Angels the Oath Sworn, who would become Wardens/Chaplains at the end of their training, now have a new role within their Chapter; to redeem those Brothers lost to this curse.

I think it would be a cool fluff addition to the army. Just imagine being one of those first wardens that has to put down one of your own brothers. Not a traitor you had to strike down but a battle-brother. He wears the same colors and honors as you. His looks are familiar to you. You know him from standing side by side against all odds. And now he is lost in rage and you have to give him cold mercy. He is given peace and you have become a kinslayer.

Dark stuff. Shakespeare would probably lose his mind in the Grim Dark with all the tragedies just the Heresy contained.

I think it would be a cool fluff addition to the army. Just imagine being one of those first wardens that has to put down one of your own brothers. Not a traitor you had to strike down but a battle-brother. He wears the same colors and honors as you. His looks are familiar to you. You know him from standing side by side against all odds. And now he is lost in rage and you have to give him cold mercy. He is given peace and you have become a kinslayer.

Dark stuff. Shakespeare would probably lose his mind in the Grim Dark with all the tragedies just the Heresy contained.

I think he would have been right at home. For some of the Legions that might be a more simple matter, but for a Legion like theirs which is long lived and focused on more than martial skills I imagine that gives a lot of time to contemplate what you have just done. While you obeyed your oath to grant mercy to those who have fallen into the clutches of the Black Rage you have just taken the life of a Brother, a warrior that mirrors every aspect of you and what you stand for. It is a mix of Cain and Abel meets Heart of Darkness.

I love the character you inject with these blurbs of background. :thumbsup:

Thank you so much. Because this is a "slow burn" hobby project for me (no impending deadlines, tournament attendance, etc.) to worry about I can focus more attention on each mini as more of an individual than just unit filler. Even when I was out of the hobby and not painting or playing I was still keeping abreast of what was happening in it, and a huge part of that was because of the rich background. That is one of the reasons why I am so drawn to the 30K era. Much of it has yet to be codified and there is just so much potential there from a fluff perspective. 40K and the Codex Astartes restrictions on SM forces makes it more challenging to have a unique force. For 30K you do not have the same restrictions, and with Companies operating away from their parent Legions for decades at a time it isn't difficult to see them taking on their own unique flavor and character.

Looking back at the start of this thread I did have some pieces of writing told from outside our Narrator's perspective, so I might go back and add some more like that. With work getting busy for the next several weeks, introducing a new dog into our household, and hobby time being at a premium that might be a good way to keep momentum going. 

I love the concept of the Oathsworn. I've actually got a squad built with the same intent fluff wise, back when we could have Honor Guard for characters. If you are looking for more of those large TDA shields the ones from the Masters of the Chapter kit can usually be found online. That's where I sourced most of mine, along with the standard TDA ones.

Thank you CaptainStabby. I still have some storm shields from the BA Termi Assault Squad that I bought as parts at the start of the project. Once I have my FW order I'll start taking stock of what parts I needs. I have a feeling that I'll be needing some pistol/chainsword armsbut we shall see. If I have to get more of those I'll likely end up with more spare parts that I can work with - it just depends on whether I go Death Company or Assault Squad for the parts.